Author Topic: Gear madness support thread  (Read 90751 times)

LebowskisRug

Re: Gear madness support thread
« Reply #1200 on: April 30, 2023, 02:22:54 PM »
If I was boosting flip tricks out of slides or grinds I wouldn't change a thing.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1047
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1201 on: April 30, 2023, 06:00:13 PM »
My ollies might be better on one setup cause it has sanded down Jessup versus MOB on my other one. Just easier to slide my foot, but feels like I'll slip off while cruising. This got me thinking--have any of y'all ever applied different brands of grip on a deck? I'm thinking MOB on the tail and Jessup up front for a quicker slide. So it'd be like a 25/75 split. Surely I'm not the first person to think of this lol

I can't remember who but someone used to do that.  Extra tough grit on the tail, but didn't matter on the rest of the board, especially with all their weird and wonderful grip jobs, where they often used a lot of coloured and different grip to make a piece of art every time.

Some of the other custom grip jobs people have done left me wanting to change out the grip close to the bolts on the tail, as they had spray art grip just in the pocket where I like to keep my foot.  Sure put the square of sprayed grip art up past the back bolts, but not at all into the tail please?!?

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Tom Pearl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
« Reply #1202 on: May 01, 2023, 05:56:12 PM »
Anybody ever fuck with moose blanks?

if so could you offer details about shape and overall durability, shit like that
« Last Edit: May 01, 2023, 06:10:53 PM by Tom Pearl »

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 704
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #1203 on: May 01, 2023, 06:18:57 PM »
Rhetorical Question: Has this thread helped mitigate your madness…or made it worse? 

My answer? “Yes.”
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

“Skateboarding is truly amazing. Wearing a helmet while hitting a handrail can kook you for life, but being an antisocial weirdo with mystique can earn you a pass.” -Some guy on SLAP

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1204 on: May 01, 2023, 07:11:05 PM »
Better than the truck threads do

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1205 on: May 01, 2023, 09:45:32 PM »
Rhetorical Question: Has this thread helped mitigate your madness…or made it worse? 

My answer? “Yes.”

Definitely helped me. It was really helpful for me to actually detail my level of madness here. It really put things in perspective for me. Also seeing the posts of people having madness over trivial and unnecessary stuff, exactly like I have definitely helps me. I haven’t bought any new skate gear for a long time and I’ve also changed my shit up very rarely and only for a justified enough reason. I even made an Excel sheet for myself detailing every change in my setup and shoes and the reason for the change.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1980
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #1206 on: May 01, 2023, 10:07:01 PM »
Expand Quote

My answer? “Yes.”
[close]

Definitely helped me. It was really helpful for me to actually detail my level of madness here. It really put things in perspective for me. Also seeing the posts of people having madness over trivial and unnecessary stuff, exactly like I have definitely helps me. I haven’t bought any new skate gear for a long time and I’ve also changed my shit up very rarely and only for a justified enough reason. I even made an Excel sheet for myself detailing every change in my setup and shoes and the reason for the change.

I used to do the Excel sheet with WB measurements for each pair of truck with each deck, and this year I started a logbook to track each session on what worked / didn't work for each session, specific to tricks. Got lazy a few months back and haven't got back on the horse yet.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1207 on: May 02, 2023, 04:35:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

My answer? “Yes.”
[close]

[close]

I used to do the Excel sheet with WB measurements for each pair of truck with each deck, and this year I started a logbook to track each session on what worked / didn't work for each session, specific to tricks. Got lazy a few months back and haven't got back on the horse yet.

That sounds nice. I’m a nerd and I love data.

I haven’t figured out how to easily enough integrate the data from my Apple Watch on how much I’ve skated to my Excel-file. Now it just has dates and those can be misleading as the amount I skate unfortunately varies a lot these days. If I could integrate that somehow I’d be stoked.

Also your logbook idea on what tricks work and what do not sounds very good. I’m on a slightly shorter wheelbase now and have been loving it for many things but it is a trade off with something else. Documenting this somehow reliably would be nice. You’d have to have a way of disregarding the bad sessions which happen inexplicably sometimes though.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1208 on: May 02, 2023, 06:16:35 AM »
Re the spreadsheet banter...

I had a spreadsheet for a long time. Deck measurements. Notes about shape. Notes about what I did/didn't like about each. I started this years ago, when I was trying to find my "Grail Set-Up," which I eventually did find. Last year I deleted the entire thing. Why? Because it itself had become part of the madness. I had long ago found what works the best for me, and the spreadsheet just became a place I'd look for potential data tweaks when I was bored/injured/rainy days/etc. My only real regret in deleting it? It was a great resource in helping others when they had questions about a specific (DLX) deck measurements/shapes, but @Mbrimson88 usually has my back on that one, so, not a total loss.

“Skateboarding is truly amazing. Wearing a helmet while hitting a handrail can kook you for life, but being an antisocial weirdo with mystique can earn you a pass.” -Some guy on SLAP

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1209 on: May 02, 2023, 06:26:25 AM »
I've been engaging in purposeful madness after finding a good home base. Mostly trucks with one foray into a shorter deck. What I've found is usually I can do everything, just some things slightly better.

What this has led to is indecisiveness. Do I want the nice pop of Indy's? Or the fast nollie pop of Thunders?

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1210 on: May 02, 2023, 06:34:55 AM »
I've been engaging in purposeful madness after finding a good home base.

This is a perfect example. I don't know if this (brilliant) statement just made my madness better, or worse. :)

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1211 on: May 02, 2023, 07:02:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

My answer? “Yes.”
[close]

[close]

[close]

That sounds nice. I’m a nerd and I love data.

I haven’t figured out how to easily enough integrate the data from my Apple Watch on how much I’ve skated to my Excel-file. Now it just has dates and those can be misleading as the amount I skate unfortunately varies a lot these days. If I could integrate that somehow I’d be stoked.

Also your logbook idea on what tricks work and what do not sounds very good. I’m on a slightly shorter wheelbase now and have been loving it for many things but it is a trade off with something else. Documenting this somehow reliably would be nice. You’d have to have a way of disregarding the bad sessions which happen inexplicably sometimes though.

I don't document the way the setup feels as much as I document the session, specific things that worked or didn't about a trick. Shoulders / weight distribution / foot placement, that kind of stuff. I found out I was running out of things to document so each entry got shorter, both in a good and bad way, I was getting consistent in some tricks that I could do them without micro-corrections every session.

In retrospect the entries weren't growing because I wasn't trying anything new, hence not worth documenting. The bad session entries boiled down to "get out of your head, stop overthinking this".
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1120
« Reply #1212 on: May 02, 2023, 07:39:59 AM »
I've been engaging in purposeful madness after finding a good home base. Mostly trucks with one foray into a shorter deck. What I've found is usually I can do everything, just some things slightly better.

What this has led to is indecisiveness. Do I want the nice pop of Indy's? Or the fast nollie pop of Thunders?

What’s your home base setup?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1213 on: May 02, 2023, 07:45:18 AM »
BBS generic 8.38 or DLX 8.25 with 148 Thunders, 52-53mm F4. I could likely also ride the BBS generic 8.25 and any of the wider DLX with a 14.25 fine.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 689
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1214 on: May 02, 2023, 08:35:50 AM »
BBS generic 8.38 or DLX 8.25 with 148 Thunders, 52-53mm F4. I could likely also ride the BBS generic 8.25 and any of the wider DLX with a 14.25 fine.

i think this is my favorite setup too tbh ^
I don't have thunders either but thats gonna be my next truck for sure. tried my friends Hockey 8.5" x 14.25" andrew allen on conical full 52mm with thunder 149s and it felt pretty damn perfect to me.

I am on 8.5" x 14" wb Anti Hero with 144 Indy Ti. I do like the short wb on here but I liked the 14.25" more. I like 14" more than 14.5" thats for damn sure.

Primitive 8.38"s are like 14.125" wb i am probably gonna try that next. It could be potentially even more perfect.

I decided I need to stay on 148 / 8.25" trucks for 3. reasons;

1: the main spot i skate is a curb with grass on the other side, you want narrower trucks because its very rounded and its easy to go over the other side if your trucks are wider than 8.25".
2: I don't really skate tranny at all.
3: I find it slightly easier to pinch 5050 grinds on round rails on a narrower truck.

I am going to switch conical full for classic next time to see what I like better. I have rode conical or radial shape (was always fairly clueless about wheels until Bones STF came out) for probaly the entire time ive been skating (~25 years) so i am interested to see what classics are like. debating going 101 on a F4 because I love super super slick noseslide action but i may regret it when it comes time to skate a bank or something and 99a seems to work just fine for noseslides.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1215 on: May 02, 2023, 09:32:24 AM »
Thunders work well or 95% optimal with most decks. That's their greatest strength.

manysnakes

« Reply #1216 on: May 02, 2023, 10:22:55 AM »
I know I've joked about this before, but it always makes me laugh when I read through this thread and see comments like "Will an 8.5" DLX deck work well with Thunder 149s and Spitfire 54mm wheels?" and it's like dude, you are just describing a skateboard. Of course it will work.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 689
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1217 on: May 02, 2023, 10:34:24 AM »
yeah i personally cant stand when ppl are like "this truck pairs nicely with this board" because imo there is always an advantage and disadvantage to doing everything.

consider nigel rides almost completely flat PS deck - he doesnt need any dogshit to make him do 3 flips or sw heel tailside better. he can ollie on it nicely into rails, thats for sure. that board probalby produces super consistent results once you are used to it. compared to a more "spoon like" (mbrimson ;) BBS shape.

just cuase we dont like it doesnt mean it doesnt work for someone else or you couldnt get used to it. i love that cambre or what have you on the bbs boards though

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1218 on: May 02, 2023, 10:35:07 AM »
I know I've joked about this before, but it always makes me laugh when I read through this thread and see comments like "Will an 8.5" DLX deck work well with Thunder 149s and Spitfire 54mm wheels?" and it's like dude, you are just describing a skateboard. Of course it will work.

Esp. when all DLX products are the variables... :)

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1219 on: May 02, 2023, 12:55:17 PM »
yeah i personally cant stand when ppl are like "this truck pairs nicely with this board" because imo there is always an advantage and disadvantage to doing everything.

consider nigel rides almost completely flat PS deck - he doesnt need any dogshit to make him do 3 flips or sw heel tailside better. he can ollie on it nicely into rails, thats for sure. that board probalby produces super consistent results once you are used to it. compared to a more "spoon like" (mbrimson ;) BBS shape.

just cuase we dont like it doesnt mean it doesnt work for someone else or you couldnt get used to it. i love that cambre or what have you on the bbs boards though

My point was that as a mid height, mid weight, mid wheelbase extending truck with good pinch a Thunder usually works with decks of varying kick steepness and wheelbase. Spec wise they're pretty middle of the road whereas an Ace or Venture might be more polarizing hence why there are so many posts on here about people asking the precise specs of what they pair Ventures with.

This is mostly only useful for recommending stuff to a new skater or someone coming off shaped boards back to popsicles. I was mostly just stating it since that's probably why I actually like them- they're the most vanilla of the trucks. They're not the best and not magic or some shit and they have got weaknesses of course.

For me with Indys or Ventures I really dislike steeper kicks, which somewhat limits what I want to ride.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2023, 03:23:39 PM by LebowskisRug »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1593
« Reply #1220 on: May 02, 2023, 01:43:29 PM »
A lot of talk about gear…..but not about ‘madness’…..

There’s a fair amount of sensitivity and self importance tied to all of this no?

These things come with age…..

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1221 on: May 02, 2023, 02:18:10 PM »
A lot of talk about gear…..but not about ‘madness’…..

There’s a fair amount of sensitivity and self importance tied to all of this no?

These things come with age…..

Self-importance? More like self-doubt. :)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1047
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1222 on: May 02, 2023, 04:48:13 PM »

My point was that as a mid height, mid weight, mid wheelbase extending truck with good pinch a Thunder usually works with decks of varying kick steepness and wheelbase. Spec wise they're pretty middle of the road whereas an Ace or Venture might be more polarizing hence why there are so many posts on here about people asking the precise specs of what they pair Ventures with.

This is mostly only useful for recommending stuff to a new skater or someone coming off shaped boards back to popsicles. I was mostly just stating it since that's probably why I actually like them- they're the most vanilla of the trucks. They're not the best and not magic or some shit and they have got weaknesses of course.

For me with Indys or Ventures I really dislike steeper kicks, which somewhat limits what I want to ride.

I think more than anything, people will often describe their own experiences with board setups, which sometimes do work for others but other times don't work that well for others, but the "perfect setup" can vary greatly depending on how someone skates, what they are used to, even when someone is fit and has been skating a lot, compared to if someone has been out for a while, or injured or whatever.

Nowdays I just don't have the muscle strength to do half of what I used to do, so a more mellow board with wider Independent trucks = easier pop works way better for me.  Others might find that is very average, so a lower, not as wide truck with a steeper board will work better for them, or some other combination that I would think is not that nice for me to skate.

I had a spreadsheet for a long time. Deck measurements. Notes about shape. Notes about what I did/didn't like about each. I started this years ago, when I was trying to find my "Grail Set-Up," which I eventually did find. Last year I deleted the entire thing. Why? Because it itself had become part of the madness. I had long ago found what works the best for me, and the spreadsheet just became a place I'd look for potential data tweaks when I was bored/injured/rainy days/etc. My only real regret in deleting it? It was a great resource in helping others when they had questions about a specific (DLX) deck measurements/shapes, but @Mbrimson88 usually has my back on that one, so, not a total loss.

Ha yeah too many boards and a bit too much time to "try everything" or at least compare them and then work out what is what in terms of sizes, shapes and everything else to do with these things.

At least to be in a position where people can try all those options at the indoor skatepark is a good thing.  It would be a bit weird if I kept one of everything set up just in my own shed or something, but I do have at least one of all the options I prefer there as well.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #1223 on: May 02, 2023, 05:27:00 PM »
not really that type of madness, but in a manic pinch i bought a pair of stage 4 151s and now i need a matching board. probably get a quasi 9 inch football...

i'm not sure why i bought these trucks... originally i wanted to get a cheap set of films in that size, but it seems it was the last pair on the european mainland and i got fomo? i also got a sheet of pepper grip because i was curious.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1224 on: May 02, 2023, 06:18:10 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

I think more than anything, people will often describe their own experiences with board setups, which sometimes do work for others but other times don't work that well for others, but the "perfect setup" can vary greatly depending on how someone skates, what they are used to, even when someone is fit and has been skating a lot, compared to if someone has been out for a while, or injured or whatever.

Nowdays I just don't have the muscle strength to do half of what I used to do, so a more mellow board with wider Independent trucks = easier pop works way better for me.  Others might find that is very average, so a lower, not as wide truck with a steeper board will work better for them, or some other combination that I would think is not that nice for me to skate.

Expand Quote

[close]

Ha yeah too many boards and a bit too much time to "try everything" or at least compare them and then work out what is what in terms of sizes, shapes and everything else to do with these things.

At least to be in a position where people can try all those options at the indoor skatepark is a good thing.  It would be a bit weird if I kept one of everything set up just in my own shed or something, but I do have at least one of all the options I prefer there as well.

It all comes down to what matches your needs. Every truck has its drawbacks. For the most part Indy and Thunder cover most people's basic needs really well. They're pretty mid range in many specs and will accommodate most decks reasonably well, but will have shortcomings for people that they may fix by different trucks, for example.

For me the most annoying variant is kick steepness so I focus on which truck minimizes those changes the most. Indy's are a bit more sensitive to steeper setups due to their height, but you don't get as much wheelbite normally. Ergo, 95% of boards will work with either to a point and it's the 5% of preferences that drive madness.

Most skaters aren't doing anything quite as tech or gnarly as they think they are. If you really love the experience of carving you know that buying an Ace will maximize that at the expense of other things. Same I'd you value the stability of Ventures.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1225 on: May 02, 2023, 06:54:47 PM »

I recently sold some 8.25 / 8.38 / 8.5 from the stack a week ago and the buyer went back and forth on the sizes for 3 days straight, changed his mind 5 times in 2 days. Kept asking me if Indy 149s would work better with 8.25 or 8.38. And when I brought down my setup for him to reference (8.38 / Venture 5.8 / 3 washers inside), he started comparing the magic carpet top view.

I lost track of the number of times he asked if 149s would fit better on 8.25 / 8.38, and what my preference would be. Dude, it's a skateboard, and we're talking about millimeters and fractions of an inch, stop overthinking it. Also, this setup is unique to you, not me, asking me to choose a deck on your behalf is like asking me to choose your life partner.

The worst bit was he just started skateboarding after longboarding, still learning to ollie, the madness is 1000% unjustified.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1226 on: May 02, 2023, 07:18:04 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I recently sold some 8.25 / 8.38 / 8.5 from the stack a week ago and the buyer went back and forth on the sizes for 3 days straight, changed his mind 5 times in 2 days. Kept asking me if Indy 149s would work better with 8.25 or 8.38. And when I brought down my setup for him to reference (8.38 / Venture 5.8 / 3 washers inside), he started comparing the magic carpet top view.

I lost track of the number of times he asked if 149s would fit better on 8.25 / 8.38, and what my preference would be. Dude, it's a skateboard, and we're talking about millimeters and fractions of an inch, stop overthinking it. Also, this setup is unique to you, not me, asking me to choose a deck on your behalf is like asking me to choose your life partner.

The worst bit was he just started skateboarding after longboarding, still learning to ollie, the madness is 1000% unjustified.

^ Grim.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1227 on: May 02, 2023, 07:56:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

^ Grim.

He initially settled on the 8.38, but texted me later the same day to ask if he could go with the 8.25 because his homies convinced him to. I obliged since he traveled down and the deck was still in plastic, but still spent 15 minutes comparing the 8.25 / 8.38 because he was worried about hot rodding.

"The 8.38 was looking pretty wide for me to handle"

You're coming from a 7.75, everything 8.0 and up is going to feel massive.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1228 on: May 02, 2023, 08:19:18 PM »
This dude makes me sound remotely sane in comparison. I've only cared about truck width once and it was a test that didn't change much.  Never really messed around with wheel sizes or shapes. No smaller woodshops and the craziest I've gotten with trucks were some Royals since I talked shit on them and wanted to eat my words.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1229 on: May 02, 2023, 10:57:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

^ Grim.
[close]

He initially settled on the 8.38, but texted me later the same day to ask if he could go with the 8.25 because his homies convinced him to. I obliged since he traveled down and the deck was still in plastic, but still spent 15 minutes comparing the 8.25 / 8.38 because he was worried about hot rodding.

"The 8.38 was looking pretty wide for me to handle"

You're coming from a 7.75, everything 8.0 and up is going to feel massive.

Dude wanted to go from a 7.75 (presumably with a 14wb?) to an 8.38 (with a 14.5wb)? Damn.