Author Topic: Gear madness support thread  (Read 86653 times)

LebowskisRug

Re: Gear madness support thread
« Reply #1290 on: June 05, 2023, 05:27:27 PM »
Swiss cost twice as much as Reds and last for years and years. Unless you really can't afford the $50-60 for Swiss (I always wait for a sale), it's "pennywise, pound foolish" to be buying cheapo bearings after cheapo bearings.

buy nice or buy twice

Sedition

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #1291 on: June 05, 2023, 06:21:38 PM »
Swiss 6 or nothing.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Get bent
« Reply #1292 on: June 06, 2023, 06:50:18 AM »
I’ve been on ace lows for a bit now really liking them, but the more and more I peruse the new royal thread I can feel the madness setting in, I’m concerned with the bushing and other aspects of the royals but it’s still enticing me to try them out, I had to switch to the ace hard low bushings for my current setup so switching out bushings isn’t really a deal breaker for me, should I switch up? Or stay the course til ace decides to discontinue the lows? Which I can see happening sooner or later
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1293 on: June 06, 2023, 07:05:54 AM »
I don't see what you would gain unless you want a higher truck for some reason. Worry about discontinuation when it actually happens if it happens. I feel if you find your happy place with truck choice just stay there.

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -298
« Reply #1294 on: June 06, 2023, 07:11:07 AM »
I’ve been on ace lows for a bit now really liking them, but the more and more I peruse the new royal thread I can feel the madness setting in, I’m concerned with the bushing and other aspects of the royals but it’s still enticing me to try them out, I had to switch to the ace hard low bushings for my current setup so switching out bushings isn’t really a deal breaker for me, should I switch up? Or stay the course til ace decides to discontinue the lows? Which I can see happening sooner or later

You need to try every truck brand and bushing combo before you can know for sure. Leave no stone unturned

IpathCats

« Reply #1295 on: June 06, 2023, 07:16:28 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You need to try every truck brand and bushing combo before you can know for sure. Leave no stone unturned

Alright now class, what we have here is a great example of an enabler.

But yea, try it all and then realize what you started on was fine and you were riding it for a reason.

Or just skip straight to the last step.

edit: in all seriousness though, as someone who has tried it all and still struggles with madness, def DO NOT change shit up for no reason or just out of curiosity, because that will never end. If you have a legit reason or some performance aspect of your board you want to change intentionally then go for it. But i wouldnt suggest experimenting just for the sake of it if everything is working the way you want.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1296 on: June 06, 2023, 07:57:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

But yea, try it all and then realize what you started on was fine and you were riding it for a reason.

edit: in all seriousness though, as someone who has tried it all and still struggles with madness, def DO NOT change shit up for no reason or just out of curiosity, because that will never end. If you have a legit reason or some performance aspect of your board you want to change intentionally then go for it. But i wouldnt suggest experimenting just for the sake of it if everything is working the way you want.

For sure!!!

At any rate, the Royal truck thread just hit 30 pages, so I would imagine someone in there would have had Ace low trucks and Royal trucks, so they might be able to help a bit more.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=119099.0

Off the top of my head, I couldn't say who exactly, but I am thinking of a few people like maybe Xen or Rocklobster, but didn't want to tag them directly in case I was thinking of someone else on here.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Get bent
« Reply #1297 on: June 06, 2023, 11:49:47 AM »
All valid and good points, I’ll prolly run with aces until I can’t my hands on them anymore
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1071
« Reply #1298 on: June 06, 2023, 11:56:38 AM »
I'm not sure what thread this info goes best in, but for you Egg and general shape riders, Tactics now includes the width over the front and back truck on shape deck listings

TheCrimsonShroud

• Rep: 98
« Reply #1299 on: June 06, 2023, 12:12:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I keep one setup exactly how I like it and then have a cruiser to experiment on. Balances out the madness a bit

IpathCats

« Reply #1300 on: June 06, 2023, 12:27:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I keep one setup exactly how I like it and then have a cruiser to experiment on. Balances out the madness a bit

Yea, cruisers are a good way to experiment safely.

I've got a zip zinger, grimple egg, and polarizer for cruiser setups.

i love them all.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1301 on: June 06, 2023, 07:27:29 PM »
I'm not sure what thread this info goes best in, but for you Egg and general shape riders, Tactics now includes the width over the front and back truck on shape deck listings

Could post in all of them, including the Woodshop thread, the Egg thread, the 9+ big boards thread because they are the ones relevant to shaped boards, which are not always but usually bigger by width too.

Thanks for the info!!

:)

* I had a look and ran with it, so not everything yet, but definitely some boards, just happened to check the Krooked boards as they were more recent than some others, but I posted in those threads with relevant examples.  It really does make it way easier for the people who are very particular about their truck widths and wheels under, or showing.

Example:

https://www.tactics.com/krooked/barbee-bird-nest-95-rays-street-shape-skateboard-deck/navy

SPECS
SIZE   9.5
FRONT WIDTH (IN):   9.0
CENTER WIDTH (IN):   9.5
BACK WIDTH (IN):   8.0
LENGTH (IN):   31.75
WHEELBASE (IN):   14.25
NOSE (IN):   6.875
TAIL (IN):   6.5

« Last Edit: June 06, 2023, 07:38:20 PM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

HumbleGenius

• Rep: 2
« Reply #1302 on: June 07, 2023, 11:00:46 AM »
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, if not let me know.

My question is for people who have sized down their setup. Did it affect your ledge and gap game at all?

I'm asking because I snapped my board on my last session and played a game of skate on my friends board. He rides an 8" board with titanium indys 139s (not sure if it was forged or standard plates)

Flip tricks were so freaking easy on his setup. I'm usually not very consistent with my flat game, and with this setup I was basically landing almost everything first try, even tricks I usually struggle with.

I'm currently riding mostly 8.3/8 boards with thunder 149s, and now this has me wanting to switch my shit to something smaller. I was eyeing a krooked Cromer egg that's 8.25 but seems to taper a lot, so I'm thinking it might be good to make the transition to smaller boards. Probably would buy some Thunder 147s with that.

I'm about 5'8 and wear a size 9 shoe, if that's got anything to do with anything...

TheCrimsonShroud

« Reply #1303 on: June 07, 2023, 11:31:03 AM »

My question is for people who have sized down their setup. Did it affect your ledge and gap game at all?

I'm asking because I snapped my board on my last session and played a game of skate on my friends board. He rides an 8" board with titanium indys 139s (not sure if it was forged or standard plates)

Flip tricks were so freaking easy on his setup. I'm usually not very consistent with my flat game, and with this setup I was basically landing almost everything first try, even tricks I usually struggle with.

I'm currently riding mostly 8.3/8 boards with thunder 149s, and now this has me wanting to switch my shit to something smaller. I was eyeing a krooked Cromer egg that's 8.25 but seems to taper a lot, so I'm thinking it might be good to make the transition to smaller boards. Probably would buy some Thunder 147s with that.

I'm about 5'8 and wear a size 9 shoe, if that's got anything to do with anything...

For context I’m 5’8, size 10.5, and fairly muscular at 190. I rode 8.5 for a while and switched over to 8-8.25” and yeah, flip tricks are a whole hell of a lot easier.

That could be your bud’s concave/kicks/wb though. You can size down and get different dims and feel totally different. You could stay at 8.5” and get a board with his shape and all and it could be perfect. I guess my point is you could straight up copy his setup and be really happy, but I’d also try to experiment and see what that magic ingredient is.

IpathCats

« Reply #1304 on: June 07, 2023, 11:34:07 AM »

Really depends on what you skate most. If you're more of a big transition guy or you like to huck a lot, i probably wouldnt size down.

Maybe try a standard 8.25 popsicle shape with some forged indy 144s (maybe titaniums if you want to go lighter) and see how you like it?

If you want to go smaller you could still totally run an 8 or 8.1 on the 144s no prob

I also just noticed you were riding thunder 149s, which give a VERY different pop feel from indys. That could be the difference you're looking for as well. Might not be all about size.

idk

madness madness madness

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #1305 on: June 07, 2023, 11:44:57 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Really depends on what you skate most. If you're more of a big transition guy or you like to huck a lot, i probably wouldnt size down.

Maybe try a standard 8.25 popsicle shape with some forged indy 144s (maybe titaniums if you want to go lighter) and see how you like it?

If you want to go smaller you could still totally run an 8 or 8.1 on the 144s no prob

I also just noticed you were riding thunder 149s, which give a VERY different pop feel from indys. That could be the difference you're looking for as well. Might not be all about size.

idk

madness madness madness

You'd probably be fine. I skate 8.38-8.5, skate mostly ledges and have size 13 feet/am 6ft5. I have a smaller 8inch setup with venture lows that feels really really good for a lot of flatground. Can't make it my main board because my feet drag too much on nose/tailslides on ledges because the kicks are just too small. But since you have more normal size feet I think a full ish nose n tail on a smaller board should be totally fine.

HumbleGenius

• Rep: 2
« Reply #1306 on: June 07, 2023, 11:45:51 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

idk

madness madness madness

I mostly skate ledges, flat bars, kicker jumps and hips. Don't really skate transition that much other than 5-0 grinds, axles and rock to fakies to navigate the park, with the occasional mini-ramp shenanigans. As far as hucking goes, not really. I'll do some tricks down the 5 stairs but nothing bigger than that for the most part.

Funny you'd mention 144s, I asked the same friend if his plates were forged or standard and he said he has a barely used set of 144s forged titaniums he'd be willing to give me for free. So I might just do that. I still have two unskated 8.38 decks so I might set them up on the 144s and see if I wanna go any smaller from there.

Thanks a lot for the responses guys, much appreciated!

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1307 on: June 07, 2023, 12:12:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

idk

madness madness madness
[close]

I mostly skate ledges, flat bars, kicker jumps and hips. Don't really skate transition that much other than 5-0 grinds, axles and rock to fakies to navigate the park, with the occasional mini-ramp shenanigans. As far as hucking goes, not really. I'll do some tricks down the 5 stairs but nothing bigger than that for the most part.

Funny you'd mention 144s, I asked the same friend if his plates were forged or standard and he said he has a barely used set of 144s forged titaniums he'd be willing to give me for free. So I might just do that. I still have two unskated 8.38 decks so I might set them up on the 144s and see if I wanna go any smaller from there.

I skate your current setup but I am 6 foot 3. Flip tricks are easier on a smaller board, but only when popped kinda low. I've found sizing down to be worse for me, but I am on 148s/144s right now. Suciu skates 148s on a huge kicked 14.38WB 8.383 and isn't a ton bigger than you.

I did ride 8-8.125 with 139s for a few years when returning to skating. I could skate slow or smaller stuff fine, but I got better pop and stability from a bigger deck and adapted everything else over time.

Personally I would duplicate his setup or ride it a few more times. There is a huge novelty effect I notice when you skate a setup with no expectations and things just go right. Then you skate it 3, 4, or 5 more times and over time that fades and you notice all the flaws.

IpathCats

« Reply #1308 on: June 07, 2023, 12:55:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

idk

madness madness madness
[close]

Yo! thats a come up right there. def take him up on that haha

Will make your 8.38 flip a little easier.

Id still suggest trying them on an 8.25 though. maybe 8

TheCrimsonShroud

« Reply #1309 on: June 07, 2023, 02:31:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

idk

madness madness madness
[close]

[close]

Yo! thats a come up right there. def take him up on that haha

Will make your 8.38 flip a little easier.

Id still suggest trying them on an 8.25 though. maybe 8

Yeah, 144s are amazing. They ride on anything 8-8.5 pretty well. If you get forged/hollow/titanium you trim a bit of weight too. But yeah, I can second the 8.25 rec, it’s a pretty sweet spot. And if you don’t dig it the go up or down accordingly and the 144s can go with you.

FrenchSkater

• Rep: 28
« Reply #1310 on: June 07, 2023, 03:03:56 PM »

Pretty much the same for me...

After having skated 8.0 for a long time and 139 trucks, I wanted to change size and I switched to a Baker 8.125 with Thunder 148..

I am 5.7 and 8 for foot size, and I must admit that my board was heavy and had a lot of trouble on certain flip tricks.. the 360 ​​flips are horrible with this setup..

Having taken over trucks in 139, everything was much easier and recently with a board in 8 even more.. but the lack of space to land scares me! I wonder if I should not try the 8.06 from real! But on the other hand, I like Thunder, and it bothers me a lot to see them almost new and that I don't skate them.. (the 148*), maybe I should try them with an 8.125-8.25 with a fairly short wheelbase and a length of 31.25..
« Last Edit: June 07, 2023, 07:27:09 PM by FrenchSkater »

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1311 on: June 07, 2023, 03:21:14 PM »
I am 5.7 and 8 foot tall, and I must admit that my board was heavy and had a lot of trouble on certain flip tricks.. the 360 ​​flips are horrible with this setup..
:o

TheCrimsonShroud

« Reply #1312 on: June 07, 2023, 04:39:44 PM »
Expand Quote
I am 5.7 and 8 foot tall, and I must admit that my board was heavy and had a lot of trouble on certain flip tricks.. the 360 ​​flips are horrible with this setup..
[close]

When you wake up on earth but spend the day on Jupiter

FrenchSkater

• Rep: 28
« Reply #1313 on: June 07, 2023, 07:28:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Sorry I made a mistake while writing this message.. 😂

IpathCats

« Reply #1314 on: June 08, 2023, 06:26:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

Sorry I made a mistake while writing this message.. 😂

whatever you say Mr. Giant Frenchman.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #1315 on: June 08, 2023, 09:17:18 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

After having skated 8.0 for a long time and 139 trucks, I wanted to change size and I switched to a Baker 8.125 with Thunder 148..

I am 5.7 and 8 for foot size, and I must admit that my board was heavy and had a lot of trouble on certain flip tricks.. the 360 ​​flips are horrible with this setup..

Having taken over trucks in 139, everything was much easier and recently with a board in 8 even more.. but the lack of space to land scares me! I wonder if I should not try the 8.06 from real! But on the other hand, I like Thunder, and it bothers me a lot to see them almost new and that I don't skate them.. (the 148*), maybe I should try them with an 8.125-8.25 with a fairly short wheelbase and a length of 31.25..

The 148s go really well with the Girl and Chocolate 8.125s and 8.25s. I rode those on Indys but they felt way better on my homies Thunders. Just my experience.
IG: @flowterspace

Scottboarding

• Rep: 82
« Reply #1316 on: June 08, 2023, 03:43:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

The 148s go really well with the Girl and Chocolate 8.125s and 8.25s. I rode those on Indys but they felt way better on my homies Thunders. Just my experience.
I recently rode a Girl 8.25 with a 14wb on Thunder 148s and it was quite possibly the best setup I’ve ever ridden for most things. Serious match made in Heaven type of thing.

gearcrisis

« Reply #1317 on: June 08, 2023, 08:15:15 PM »
Yo. name checks out here. having a gear crisis yall. basically, im trying to stop wearing big baggy clothes because i think i look goofy cuz im damn short and skinny. for reference, im sizing down from big boy fit to 93 fit but keeping my tee the same and going for that straight/ loose pants look now. i feel like i look worse and disproportionate with the slightly oversize tee now. tried sizing up in waist but that looks way off to me when the crotch bulge happens.

does this weird ‘off’ feeling go away or am i doomed to baggy clothes lol

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #1318 on: June 08, 2023, 10:32:59 PM »
Yo. name checks out here. having a gear crisis yall. basically, im trying to stop wearing big baggy clothes because i think i look goofy cuz im damn short and skinny. for reference, im sizing down from big boy fit to 93 fit but keeping my tee the same and going for that straight/ loose pants look now. i feel like i look worse and disproportionate with the slightly oversize tee now. tried sizing up in waist but that looks way off to me when the crotch bulge happens.

This thread is mostly about the function of gear, not so much the fashion of it. That said, if skateboarding has anything to teach, it's "be yourself." To that end, wear what you are comfortable with, and don't worry about how it "looks."
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #1319 on: June 08, 2023, 11:53:29 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This thread is mostly about the function of gear, not so much the fashion of it. That said, if skateboarding has anything to teach, it's "be yourself." To that end, wear what you are comfortable with, and don't worry about how it "looks."

i like the response.

i’m short, i have disproportionately short legs, and a long torso. so i should dress like elijah, to compensate (i don’t). pulling the pants up higher, would give the impression of elongating my legs, and shortening my torso.

i think a straight fit looks best, 501s etc. but…ya gotta be young and make silly choices. the baggy thing that many are doing, although a great response to the skinnies, is now kinda…
i know well the horrible state of being so uncomfortable, about most everything, that the pants make going outside, a chore. best of luck, hopefully you are able to give up any notion of looking cool.