Author Topic: Andrew Reynolds on NB#  (Read 109130 times)

GrayCellGreen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 293
Re: Andrew Reynolds on NB#
« Reply #750 on: December 13, 2022, 08:22:19 AM »
Vans quality has taken a noticeable decline in the past few years.
The introduction of the "Skate" version of shoes(which replaced the "Pro" versions) was a giant drop in quality. I've skated nothing but SlipOn Pros for over 5 years, and the new Slip-On Skate is made of noticeably cheaper materials. Anybody else notice this as well?

I've personally only had the slip ons and half cabs in the redesigns, and both felt noticeably different than they used to. The slip ons were more narrow and the half cabs ripped in the back (similar to the photos that someone posted) and felt really thin.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1311
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #751 on: December 13, 2022, 08:22:32 AM »
Expand Quote
The introduction of the "Skate" version of shoes(which replaced the "Pro" versions) was a giant drop in quality. I've skated nothing but SlipOn Pros for over 5 years, and the new Slip-On Skate is made of noticeably cheaper materials. Anybody else notice this as well?
[close]
Absolutely. Used to love the old skool pros more than any shoe but the “Skate” version gives me blisters and feels cheap. I have a few friends who all agree and now nobody around me skates vans anymore.
I've had the direct opposite experience. The pro line always turned into mushy messes 5 sessions in for me. It also delammed at the vulc wrapp consistently. The skate versions have a shank in the mid sole of the vulc so it stays stiffer for way longer. Also have experienced no more separation of sole but I have seen others have different experiences. I much prefer the skate version.

pizzafliptofakie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1966
« Reply #752 on: December 13, 2022, 08:27:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Absolutely. Used to love the old skool pros more than any shoe but the “Skate” version gives me blisters and feels cheap. I have a few friends who all agree and now nobody around me skates vans anymore.
[close]
I've had the direct opposite experience. The pro line always turned into mushy messes 5 sessions in for me. It also delammed at the vulc wrapp consistently. The skate versions have a shank in the mid sole of the vulc so it stays stiffer for way longer. Also have experienced no more separation of sole but I have seen others have different experiences. I much prefer the skate version.

Same. The new versions take longer to break in, but they've lasted noticeably longer than their former Pro counterparts.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 401
« Reply #753 on: December 13, 2022, 08:32:41 AM »
Yeah why are you all trying to create some sort of fucking vulcgate here? He was probably hyped to skate in some Half Cabs and classic Vans styles. Doesn't matter if he previously said he liked cupsoles better or not or even if he liked skating in vulc Vans or not. (Which there is no evidence of at all that he didn't.) Vans didn't trick him or coerce him into skating for them, and he wasn't trying to fool the public. This isn't some scandal. He's just a skateboarder. I used to wear Vans three years ago and now I hardly ever do.

Oh I don’t think he was coerced or even lying. I think he was excited about Vans and getting paid to skate some of their legendary vulc shoes and I remember him pushing the Fairlane. I guess saying “silly” wasn’t the right term. More that it seemed inevitable to me he’d eventually move away from skating vulc Vans to skate basically only Fairlanes, AVE pros, or Gilberts or even likely moving to a company with more tech and cupsole options.

stevedave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 99
« Reply #754 on: December 13, 2022, 08:58:47 AM »
there has been A LOT of major downsizing at Vans of employees in all departments.  This probably coincided with the manufacturing changes, new CEO, etc.  In my opinion, they probably just couldn't compensate Reynolds with what he wanted/deserves and he decided to look elsewhere.  It's a shame, but such is life. 
"See you are like Mark David Chapman and my posts are John Lennon. You having nothing to offer so the best you can do is try to assassinate my beautiful posts. My Dental Plan is Strawberry fields and you are a sexually frustrated fat man."  ---NigNogNooo---

manysnakes

« Reply #755 on: December 13, 2022, 09:04:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Yeah why are you all trying to create some sort of fucking vulcgate here? He was probably hyped to skate in some Half Cabs and classic Vans styles. Doesn't matter if he previously said he liked cupsoles better or not or even if he liked skating in vulc Vans or not. (Which there is no evidence of at all that he didn't.) Vans didn't trick him or coerce him into skating for them, and he wasn't trying to fool the public. This isn't some scandal. He's just a skateboarder. I used to wear Vans three years ago and now I hardly ever do.
[close]

Oh I don’t think he was coerced or even lying. I think he was excited about Vans and getting paid to skate some of their legendary vulc shoes and I remember him pushing the Fairlane. I guess saying “silly” wasn’t the right term. More that it seemed inevitable to me he’d eventually move away from skating vulc Vans to skate basically only Fairlanes, AVE pros, or Gilberts or even likely moving to a company with more tech and cupsole options.

This is more or less exactly what he says in the interview. He wanted to try something different, he thought Vans looked great and he loved the team. The shoes were good, but the relationship ended amicably when he decided he wanted a style of shoe which Vans didn't and wasn't ever going to make, and now (as you can ascertain by subtext) he's getting a cupsole shoe - one similar to his Emerica and the 1010 Tiago - on New Balance.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2022, 09:45:44 AM by manysnakes »

LebowskisRug

« Reply #756 on: December 13, 2022, 09:36:56 AM »
Bolded the only useful parts about my coffee rant.

Reading between the lines he kinda hints that Vans design and quality isn't there. He likes foam midsoles and even for Cups Vans' approach is to make the most minimal midsole and just stuff a fatty insole in. He seems concerned with foam density because low density foams like that in Pop Cush don't last and pack out. It's not that Vans doesn't understand this, they just don't want to do anything about it. It's much easier/cheaper for them to not have to pour in or mold foam in and constantly reuse the same soles. Tiago has said he wanted a foam that lasted a long time and it does just that. Vans just makes a shoe aesthetically different for the most part then plops some generic foam in.

If anything they probably don't have enough market demand to need to do this. They're propped up by their really good/sticky rubber and selling the vast majority of their shoes to people who don't skate and don't care.

For me personally I have liked my Vans skate line and Waffle Cup shoes aside from the insole. Popcush is better now than it was, but it still packs out and the shoes get noticeably sloppier over their life. I like the Crockett high in it's first couple weeks, but every pair I've had ends up with an upper about as floppy as a Cons and while the heel protection is slightly better than a Half Cab, if I land too hard heel side or have to jump away from something and just land on my heel weird, my whopping 165lbs will bottom out the insole and heel bruise.

On that note I kinda don't buy it that he just wanted to try Vans shoes. He knows enough people to get test pairs for free and realize they didn't work for him before signing the contract. My completely hypothetical guess is that he found parts of the shoes great and was hoping to have the ear of design and be able to produce something more akin to his liking, but in the end Vans doesn't need to spend the time and money to do that and weren't going to.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #757 on: December 13, 2022, 09:52:08 AM »
there has been A LOT of major downsizing at Vans of employees in all departments.  This probably coincided with the manufacturing changes, new CEO, etc.  In my opinion, they probably just couldn't compensate Reynolds with what he wanted/deserves and he decided to look elsewhere.  It's a shame, but such is life.
Untitled by
JLay in some blazer lows make me think he's not doing TM or whatever his role was at vans anymore.

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 744
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #758 on: December 13, 2022, 09:58:37 AM »
For what it’s worth I preferred the 2009ish era Vans pro line. AV6, the half cab pros (before the black triangle on the soles), TNT2 Mids… take me back.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
« Reply #759 on: December 13, 2022, 10:13:34 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Untitled by
JLay in some blazer lows make me think he's not doing TM or whatever his role was at vans anymore.
Didn't he bounce when that whole Vax thing happened?

KGB

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -461
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #760 on: December 13, 2022, 10:14:02 AM »

"Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols"

MusclesMarinara

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 103
« Reply #761 on: December 13, 2022, 10:18:47 AM »
For what it’s worth I preferred the 2009ish era Vans pro line. AV6, the half cab pros (before the black triangle on the soles), TNT2 Mids… take me back.

I also loved that time period of skate shoes. The Av3 was one of my favorites. Had a burnt orange pair and they lasted forever. I feel like right after that in the coming years they started to cheap out and the quality really started to decline.
Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 352
« Reply #762 on: December 13, 2022, 10:38:19 AM »
Andrew speaks about it: basically he left Vans because he wanted to skate in a cup sole

http://www.villagepsychic.net/blog/andrew-reynolds-new-balance?fbclid=PAAaYk4CjajxdX57kOGRO8dDIX40kMHMD9w0tnD5nNeBfWPOBCXF5R_2mcEr4

that was a good read. love how much input he has on his kicks.
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

lurker_and_poster

• Rep: 26
« Reply #763 on: December 13, 2022, 11:08:10 AM »
Andrew speaks about it: basically he left Vans because he wanted to skate in a cup sole

http://www.villagepsychic.net/blog/andrew-reynolds-new-balance?fbclid=PAAaYk4CjajxdX57kOGRO8dDIX40kMHMD9w0tnD5nNeBfWPOBCXF5R_2mcEr4

Good read - also the Interview with Jeff Mikut.
Got Andrews message. I am a Vans guy since 4ever skating half cabs since 30 years.
But I have an eye on NB since they start in skateboarding. They do a good job team and shoe wise.

Woud love to skate the Tiago -but doest feel good to see him on my feet.
Waiting since a long time for a good / simple / little more tech NB Shoe I coud buy/ skate.

I like also what Pontus is doing, his own little brand - feels right too.. but same situation like with
the Tiago - feels strange to look down on my feet.
For me the "feel" of a shoe was never really a problem.
But to look down on a shoe is a heavy criteria.
If it looks good - it feels good too - some just after 2-3 session breaking in.
Halfcab works for me straight out of the box. But in general quality is not good.

conan777

• Rep: -50
« Reply #764 on: December 13, 2022, 11:38:36 AM »
I stopped buying Vans after a pair I had never even skated in just fell apart. Used to love the Rowley's back in the day but the last time they came out that just looked a bit off. And used to love skate hi's but don't know how I ever wore them now, so uncomfortable.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1347
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #765 on: December 13, 2022, 12:21:06 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
The Skate Slip-On is a disaster. The Slip-On Pros were exactly what that shoe needed to be. I understand Vans wanting to change up or streamline their design and manufacturing process but they definitely ruined the Slip-On in the process.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 401
« Reply #766 on: December 13, 2022, 12:26:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

This is more or less exactly what he says in the interview. He wanted to try something different, he thought Vans looked great and he loved the team. The shoes were good, but the relationship ended amicably when he decided he wanted a style of shoe which Vans didn't and wasn't ever going to make, and now (as you can ascertain by subtext) he's getting a cupsole shoe - one similar to his Emerica and the 1010 Tiago - on New Balance.

Yep - a few people on the forum called it haha.

That was a really good interview. It felt very honest and was cool to see how much of a nerd he still is about skating and cool to hear everyone on the team was stoked to have him join (who wouldn’t be?) and how much Andrew appreciated that. It would be kinda cool too if he helps do some design overall beyond just a pro model.

Narcissus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
« Reply #767 on: December 13, 2022, 02:03:37 PM »
This shoe sounds like it's going to be butt ass ugly.
i saw my grandma bail off a 4 set once in my house and she even got up and came to red lobster after.
Quote from: The Kitten!
get wasted and pass out.

Coffee

• Rep: 44
« Reply #768 on: December 13, 2022, 03:54:38 PM »
Switching to new balance is a logical move as you get older and have a lawn to mow and a neighborhood to walk, I support it.

Can confirm. I’m 39 and mow my lawn and skate in New Balance and my feet don’t hurt. Plus my 90 year old grandpa complimented my white and gum 272’s multiple times on thanksgiving so I know they look cool.

manysnakes

« Reply #769 on: December 13, 2022, 04:55:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Switching to new balance is a logical move as you get older and have a lawn to mow and a neighborhood to walk, I support it.
[close]

Can confirm. I’m 39 and mow my lawn and skate in New Balance and my feet don’t hurt. Plus my 90 year old grandpa complimented my white and gum 272’s multiple times on thanksgiving so I know they look cool.

A while ago in mentioned that I never wear skate shoes if I’m not skating and a bunch of people acted like I was some kind of snob or freak for wearing comfy Brooks running shoes and Birkenstocks instead of living in my AVEs.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #770 on: December 13, 2022, 06:04:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
The Skate Slip-On is a disaster. The Slip-On Pros were exactly what that shoe needed to be. I understand Vans wanting to change up or streamline their design and manufacturing process but they definitely ruined the Slip-On in the process.
The skate slip on were designed for a small section of feet that are narrow and shallow enough to fit into the shoe. I do like the skate line's revamped sole but the shape of the pros were really good for me. Hopefully they can find a middle ground if they ever revisit the model.

Warmup

• Rep: -16
« Reply #771 on: December 13, 2022, 06:11:14 PM »

Loved this but where’s the fs flip I deserve

Coffee

• Rep: 44
« Reply #772 on: December 13, 2022, 06:54:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

A while ago in mentioned that I never wear skate shoes if I’m not skating and a bunch of people acted like I was some kind of snob or freak for wearing comfy Brooks running shoes and Birkenstocks instead of living in my AVEs.

Shit man my day to day shoes are Brooks Glycerin and I hike in Cascadia’s. I only wear skate shoes not skating when I need to look a bit nicer because running shoes don’t really look good with jeans.

ChompskyHonk

• Rep: 8
  • flow state in the bruh dimension
« Reply #773 on: December 13, 2022, 08:01:11 PM »
the pictures of the shoes cut in half on his ig and in the village psychic interview really hit home for me because i've always been a nerd about midsole tech in shoes. wish they got a better angle of the lynx ogs because i really wanna see what's in those. i'm hopeful that his new signature shoe on NB blends the clean aesthetics of his shoes on emerica (ideally reynolds 2-3 era) with a slimmer upper and tech midsole because i would cop. i hate most new balances aside from the 808, i just wish the 808 had a smaller N because that fat ass N looks so fucking stupid.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 503
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #774 on: December 13, 2022, 08:03:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
This is my experience.  The new Skate Eras are rock solid, almost a bit too solid, but so much better than the floppy slippers of the previous Pro line.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #775 on: December 13, 2022, 08:30:08 PM »
Anyone notice all the weird shit he had going on in those shoe cutouts?

-440 that has a Popcush insole with at FP insole glued under it.
-FP insoles in a few of the shoes.
-440 with some insole that has a super high heel cup.
-Not weird but the Lynx midsole seems exactly how it was constructed back in the day when DC was heavily pushing honeycomb construction and airbag systems.

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 246
« Reply #776 on: December 13, 2022, 09:10:14 PM »
Anyone notice all the weird shit he had going on in those shoe cutouts?

-440 that has a Popcush insole with at FP insole glued under it.
-FP insoles in a few of the shoes.
-440 with some insole that has a super high heel cup.
-Not weird but the Lynx midsole seems exactly how it was constructed back in the day when DC was heavily pushing honeycomb construction and airbag systems.
also tiago with fp deep heel insole

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1262
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #777 on: December 13, 2022, 09:48:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]
This is my experience.  The new Skate Eras are rock solid, almost a bit too solid, but so much better than the floppy slippers of the previous Pro line.
I feel the same about the authentic. Never got a hole in them and sole never came apart. Stopped skating them so I can always have a pair of the best shoes vans ever made

eSK3

« Reply #778 on: December 14, 2022, 03:40:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

You’re normal bro. Skate shoes 24/7 365 is kinda weird.

Boog

• Rep: 202
« Reply #779 on: December 14, 2022, 05:27:42 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Good read - also the Interview with Jeff Mikut.
Got Andrews message. I am a Vans guy since 4ever skating half cabs since 30 years.
But I have an eye on NB since they start in skateboarding. They do a good job team and shoe wise.

Woud love to skate the Tiago -but doest feel good to see him on my feet.
Waiting since a long time for a good / simple / little more tech NB Shoe I coud buy/ skate.

I like also what Pontus is doing, his own little brand - feels right too.. but same situation like with
the Tiago - feels strange to look down on my feet.
For me the "feel" of a shoe was never really a problem.
But to look down on a shoe is a heavy criteria.
If it looks good - it feels good too - some just after 2-3 session breaking in.
Halfcab works for me straight out of the box. But in general quality is not good.
If you're looking for a more simple tech NB you should check out the Westgate's. I think they are the 508.