Author Topic: Tyshawn Thrasher Cover  (Read 24281 times)

$$LESH

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Rep: 165
Re: Tyshawn Thrasher Cover
« Reply #150 on: October 07, 2022, 02:58:38 PM »
totally wild!

for someone who has never been and probably never will get the chance - any locals/people familiar able to give a reasonable estimate on how wide the gap actually is?

one nyc train cart is 8ft and 9inches wide so this shits close to 18ft long. that’s really insane to think about.

Mean salto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
« Reply #151 on: October 07, 2022, 03:07:30 PM »
Expand Quote
totally wild!

for someone who has never been and probably never will get the chance - any locals/people familiar able to give a reasonable estimate on how wide the gap actually is?
[close]

one nyc train cart is 8ft and 9inches wide so this shits close to 18ft long. that’s really insane to think about.
Looking at the front 180 clip it doesn't look as far as this but it's shot on an angle. tyshawns gotta have top 1% pop in skating but is he really kickflipping the world record with a shitty runup? (I actually hope so)

Coldpizza

• Rep: 166
« Reply #152 on: October 07, 2022, 03:07:47 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I just wish atiba was a little higher so you can see the ground he pops/lands on like in ying’s photo
Agreed.
They both need more rats tho.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 330
« Reply #153 on: October 07, 2022, 03:14:03 PM »
Only criticisms I've read are about his style/fits and his attitude. I don't like supreme and I'm not a fan of his style but he's incredible on a board.

He gets praise, but there’s been some pretty goofy shit said about him on Slap over the years. Just off the top of my head I remember…

-Someone once said he was the next Antwuan

-There’s was a thread about the dumbest skaters in the industry, his name was mentioned multiple times with no reasoning.

-There’s that one thread where some guy was calling him unclassy because he wears durags. Classiness being a particularly weird criticism coming from another skateboarder.

-People thinking his Blessed Part was that Thrasher video of his skating the thrashcan, then acting like a Nollie Flip over a trashcan from flat wasn’t impressive.

- Constant criticism of his output, but when Jake Johnson puts out even less it’s  “quality over quantity”   ::)

- The weird rumor that he quit skating after he won SOTY

None of it is really severe, and there’s more hated pros on here easily. It just looks like veiled racism because most of his critiques alway seem like someone’s looking for something to hate on. Even in this thread, bro said all he do is pop…so!? All Grant Taylor does is get air, that’s why we love him…

bob george

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #154 on: October 07, 2022, 03:14:57 PM »
Expand Quote
totally wild!

[close]

thank you for the info. might measure it out on flat and see how often I would die just trying to ollie it. how much run up, I  get that it's curved, how many pushes do you think you squeeze in? truly mind blowing!
that skinny motherfucker with the high voice

Jean-Ralphio Zaperstein

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 672
« Reply #155 on: October 07, 2022, 03:27:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
totally wild!

[close]

[close]

thank you for the info. might measure it out on flat and see how often I would die just trying to ollie it. how much run up, I  get that it's curved, how many pushes do you think you squeeze in? truly mind blowing!

Best I could do based on rail gauge I found online (4' 8 1/2'')
« Last Edit: October 07, 2022, 03:36:25 PM by Jean-Ralphio Zaperstein »

$$LESH

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Rep: 165
« Reply #156 on: October 07, 2022, 03:43:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
totally wild!

[close]

[close]
Looking at the front 180 clip it doesn't look as far as this but it's shot on an angle. tyshawns gotta have top 1% pop in skating but is he really kickflipping the world record with a shitty runup? (I actually hope so)

ha nevermind i thought this gap had two carts going each way. so not that long, but still probably a good 13
ft including the bumps

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 317
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #157 on: October 07, 2022, 03:45:44 PM »
Agreed.
They both need more rats tho.

I am actually generally surprised there is no graffiti or even a sticker anywhere in sight. I don't frequent New York that often but I always think it looks like how it was back in the days when the graffiti culture was big. But I think that is what is really cool about this photo. It just screams New York like some Martha Cooper photo from Subway Art book. You literally can't duplicate this anywhere else but there.

I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

NoComply180

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -461
  • Objectivity police
« Reply #158 on: October 07, 2022, 04:45:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Only criticisms I've read are about his style/fits and his attitude. I don't like supreme and I'm not a fan of his style but he's incredible on a board.
[close]

He gets praise, but there’s been some pretty goofy shit said about him on Slap over the years. Just off the top of my head I remember…

-There’s was a thread about the dumbest skaters in the industry, his name was mentioned multiple times with no reasoning.

-There’s that one thread where some guy was calling him unclassy because he wears durags. Classiness being a particularly weird criticism coming from another skateboarder.

-People thinking his Blessed Part was that Thrasher video of his skating the thrashcan, then acting like a Nollie Flip over a trashcan from flat wasn’t impressive.

- Constant criticism of his output, but when Jake Johnson puts out even less it’s  “quality over quantity”   ::)

None of it is really severe, and there’s more hated pros on here easily. It just looks like veiled racism because most of his critiques alway seem like someone’s looking for something to hate on. Even in this thread, bro said all he do is pop…so!? All Grant Taylor does is get air, that’s why we love him…
antwuan quote is really weird for sure. They don’t skate at all alike.

Difference vs. Jake Johnson is Jake is like 35 and tyshawn is like 25 lol different points in their respective careers. Your 20s are the time for quality AND quantity.

Him ah fall off building an bumboclot him legs

h00man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #159 on: October 07, 2022, 04:45:56 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I remember the durag = unclassy moment here in SLAP. What incredibly dense motherfuckers that criticized TJ. Fools act like "TJ is good but not impressive", while all they can do is talk shit behind their computer. TJ is not even 25 and already has SOTY under his belt, the LAST SOTY to receive the award from Phelps, own a restaurant, own MULTIPLE businesses, stay sober, sponsored and paid by some of the BIGGEST BRANDS (not just skateboarding either), drop insane footage (quality over quantity), have his own signature shoe.....am I missing anything? What do the TJ haters have? Slappies? Lol k.

So yeah, the TJ hate is hidden behind racism. Unless you want to explain to everyone WHY TJ didnt/doesnt deserve SOTY, then let's hear it.

Also for the record I love slappies.
she can ride dick ham ham no joke ham

KGB

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -461
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #160 on: October 07, 2022, 04:46:42 PM »
Expand Quote
totally wild!

[close]

That’s one track for one car. So it’s maybe 10’ wide according to your math.

"Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols"

h00man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #161 on: October 07, 2022, 05:05:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
antwuan quote is really weird for sure. They don’t skate at all alike.

Difference vs. Jake Johnson is Jake is like 35 and tyshawn is like 25 lol different points in their respective careers. Your 20s are the time for quality AND quantity.

LOL you can't be serious.

Go find me all of Jake Johnson's parts, between Mindfield til now, and tell me which video parts he filmed when he was under 25.
she can ride dick ham ham no joke ham

n0torious

• Rep: 153
« Reply #162 on: October 07, 2022, 05:22:26 PM »

Tyshawn films a lot. But he's very picky about where his footage goes because he knows his value - just like Jake. Tyshawn's Instagram yard sale clips and demo footage drop bombs, too! I admire how career-savvy and selective he is. Generational talent.

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #163 on: October 07, 2022, 05:35:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
totally wild!

[close]

[close]

The yellow bumps are unskateable and probably add a foot

Dark Knight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 365
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #164 on: October 07, 2022, 05:38:09 PM »

Youngblood is from Harlem. There’s something that comes from that environment. You have to carry yourself differently if you’ve never seen a cul-de-sac

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #165 on: October 07, 2022, 05:39:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
totally wild!

[close]

[close]

[close]

Best I could do based on rail gauge I found online (4' 8 1/2'')

It’s much bigger than that

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 330
« Reply #166 on: October 07, 2022, 05:41:22 PM »

Although I can argue that 23 year old Jake Johnson was probably a little less productive than 23 year old Tyshawn, that wasn’t my point (and I like both skaters quite a bit, so I wouldn’t compare like that).

I was speaking on the perception of limited output. They seemingly have a similar philosophy on less is more and grand video parts are important. The bullshit is Jake is perceived as an artist but Tyshawn is talked about as if he doesn’t even like to skate.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2022, 06:07:58 PM by Lenny the Fatface »

manysnakes

« Reply #167 on: October 07, 2022, 05:48:12 PM »
If you have ever listened to call-in sports radio, there is an endlessly stream of fat suburban white dudes ringing up Mike Francesca to make virtually identical complaints about black baseball, basketball and football players, based on the same flimsy reasoning I’m reading here.

manysnakes

« Reply #168 on: October 07, 2022, 05:49:56 PM »
“Jake Johnson is a lunchpail, 9-5 skater! Tyshawn needs to take off that durag, pull up his pants and put some more footy on Insta!”

FuzzGNU

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 194
  • The Spectre Haunting SLAP
« Reply #169 on: October 07, 2022, 06:18:41 PM »
If you have ever listened to call-in sports radio, there is an endlessly stream of fat suburban white dudes ringing up Mike Francesca to make virtually identical complaints about black baseball, basketball and football players, based on the same flimsy reasoning I’m reading here.

“Jake Johnson is a lunchpail, 9-5 skater! Tyshawn needs to take off that durag, pull up his pants and put some more footy on Insta!”

manysnakes with the based takes as always.

I'm just so tired man... Its fucking absurd to me that we are still dealing with racist shit in 2022. Honestly... I remember as a kid watching Sealab 2021, and thinking about how far into the future that sounded, and wondered what the world would be like. I remember watching Obama get elected (capitalist piece of shit, but still) and thinking that we were inching closer to boomers dying off and racism going with them. Yet here we are...

How small does your dick have to be racist, for real?

Fuck all of that shit. This thread is a celebration of Tyshawn. This cover is fucking insane. This feels like its going to be one of the greatest SOTY races to date. We are going to be absolutely spoiled with footage from the sounds of things and I am so gracious.

I love skateboarding.
Skateboarding is the ultimate challenge.

gumsole

• Rep: 22
« Reply #170 on: October 07, 2022, 06:25:20 PM »
this is so insane but for whatever reason the hardies being upside down on the grip just throws it off for me. especially since the "i" in hardies looks like a dick drawing a 5th grader would do.

Grrrreencans

• Rep: -85
« Reply #171 on: October 07, 2022, 06:42:42 PM »
For those that are asking if the yellow bumps would take you out-- its scary enough to stand in that strip let alone ollie or kick flip from anywhere near there.  Most of you wouldn't have the guts to even put a board down and skate inside any subway station let alone near the tracks.  Haven't y'all seen the ending of Beat Street?  It is hectic in the NY subways.  Also agreed with comments above re: hating for pop tricks?  What is a non-pop trick?  No comply variations on tic Tok?

The only thing seperating skateboarders from carvers, longboarders, one-wheelers and luge fucks is a little bit of pop. Take the pop away you're left with Dan Corrigan and Mark Suciu parts.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #172 on: October 07, 2022, 06:44:09 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Youngblood is from Harlem. There’s something that comes from that environment. You have to carry yourself differently if you’ve never seen a cul-de-sac

He runs his business more like a get money hip hop act than a skateboarder and maybe that intimidates people. He is unapologetic like Nas when Illmatic came out and he knew no one could fuck with him. If I was his age and saw him in the city I would know to leave him be.

BTW—I can only name a handful of skaters in Manhattan in the 90s who were approachable. Now it seems people expect pro skaters to be nice. If you’re not on their level they don’t want to fuck with you. Tyshawn just seems more honest about it.

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #173 on: October 07, 2022, 06:49:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

He runs his business more like a get money hip hop act than a skateboarder and maybe that intimidates people. He is unapologetic like Nas when Illmatic came out and he knew no one could fuck with him. If I was his age and saw him in the city I would know to leave him be.

BTW—I can only name a handful of skaters in Manhattan in the 90s who were approachable. Now it seems people expect pro skaters to be nice. If you’re not on their level they don’t want to fuck with you. Tyshawn just seems more honest about it.

I’ve met him twice and he was humble bordering on shy. Not an unapproachable pro, he’s pretty chill.

SHARPSHOOTER

• Rep: -300
  • Bret Hart
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #174 on: October 07, 2022, 08:23:42 PM »
Curious how are any of the criticisms of tyshawn racist? Is the implication around his level of pop having something to do with the racist stereotype of black men being able to jump high? Or is the thought people are holding him to a different standard because he’s black?
After you commented this someone mentioned in another thread that he isn’t classy because he wears a durag. Not a single black person would ever say that. That’s clearly racially motivated hating.

Grrrreencans

• Rep: -85
« Reply #175 on: October 07, 2022, 08:24:52 PM »
Anyone seriously trying to dog on TJ for being unapproachable can get fucked. The day after the Can Jam he re-posted like 20 consecutive photos of him posing for photos with random kids and fans. He's a top of his game athlete, SoTY, influencer, super model, face of supreme, King of New York etc. and he hosted a free event where the general public could literally reach out and touch him while he switch flipped over picnic tables. Most dudes this famous don't leave their security bubble much less skate around NYC traffic fucking shit up. TJ is for the people.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 624
« Reply #176 on: October 07, 2022, 08:24:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Curious how are any of the criticisms of tyshawn racist? Is the implication around his level of pop having something to do with the racist stereotype of black men being able to jump high? Or is the thought people are holding him to a different standard because he’s black?
[close]
After you commented this someone mentioned in another thread that he isn’t classy because he wears a durag. Not a single black person would ever say that. That’s clearly racially motivated hating.
But why do people want him to be classy?

breezer

• Rep: -16
« Reply #177 on: October 08, 2022, 05:03:19 AM »
gotta be the shortest shorts on a cover.  Is Tyshawn making athletic gear acceptable? 

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -496
« Reply #178 on: October 08, 2022, 06:30:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
totally wild!

[close]

[close]

[close]

The yellow bumps are unskateable and probably add a foot

how much longer is that run up in the first picture?

God damn everything about this photo is just insane.
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

WPG

• Rep: -4
« Reply #179 on: October 08, 2022, 06:36:32 AM »
his restraunt should be named "Tastes So Good" not "Taste So Good"
Muska, Chillin Chillin
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson flight decks