Author Topic: Mid Terms  (Read 3462 times)

GAY

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3378
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
Re: Mid Terms
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2022, 04:48:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Well if California wasn't already doomed we're completely fucked now...
[close]

Literally why
[close]

I’ve been googling this and the closest I can find is Caruso has a slight edge in the La mayoral race
[close]

Or he's mad that we made access to abortion a state constitutional right? Or that we banned flavored nicotine and didn't expand gambling? The demise of California has been greatly exaggerated (not that I don't have my own stringent criticism of this state)
[close]

I still find it baffling that these dialysis propositions keep failing.   All they are requiring is a fucking physician on site, but the attack ads are so prevalent and really obscure the issue

Do you want to kill me? Then vote _______

My husband and I both were like, "Can we just vote to kill everyone on dialysis and get this over with?"

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 249
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2022, 04:56:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Well if California wasn't already doomed we're completely fucked now...
[close]

Literally why
[close]

I’ve been googling this and the closest I can find is Caruso has a slight edge in the La mayoral race
[close]

Or he's mad that we made access to abortion a state constitutional right? Or that we banned flavored nicotine and didn't expand gambling? The demise of California has been greatly exaggerated (not that I don't have my own stringent criticism of this state)
[close]

I still find it baffling that these dialysis propositions keep failing.   All they are requiring is a fucking physician on site, but the attack ads are so prevalent and really obscure the issue
[close]

Do you want to kill me? Then vote _______

My husband and I both were like, "Can we just vote to kill everyone on dialysis and get this over with?"

Not to mention the doctor with the soul patch/flavor saver

And there wasn’t a single ad that said what the opposite stance was

pleasent street

• Rep: -91
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2022, 05:23:01 PM »
Woop Fetterman wins. Go get em Lurch. Its gonna be really weird to see him in a suit all the time, but I hope the jeans and carhartt make a few appearances in Congress. Josh Shapiro spanked the qanon fuckwad he was up against too. Proud of my state... the hateful assclowns out in Pennsyltucky lose again.

it'll be hard for him to maintain this illusion of a working class hero when he can no longer wear his costume.

pleasent street

« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2022, 05:27:10 PM »
"Fetterman is a strong supporter of Israel–United States relations and said if he is elected as a U.S. senator, he will "lean in" on the "relationship between the United States and Israel". He said that the U.S.–Israel relationship "is a special one that needs to be safeguarded, protected, supported and nurtured through legislation and all available diplomatic efforts in the region". He supports United States foreign aid to Israel, including Iron Dome funding. Fetterman criticized Congressional Democrats who voted against Iron Dome funding, calling them "fringe" and "extreme". Fetterman has said he supports the right of Israel to defend itself and is "passionate" in his opposition to the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions movement. He supported a law signed into law by Pennsylvania Governor Tom Wolf that barred Pennsylvania from entering into contracts with companies that boycott Israel. He supports a two-state solution and the expansion of the Abraham Accords, the Arab-Israeli agreements brokered under the Trump administration."

COOL

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1398
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2022, 05:57:20 PM »
"Fetterman is a strong supporter of Israel–United States relations and said if he is elected as a U.S. senator, he will "lean in" on the "relationship between the United States and Israel". He said that the U.S.–Israel relationship "is a special one that needs to be safeguarded, protected, supported and nurtured through legislation and all available diplomatic efforts in the region". He supports United States foreign aid to Israel, including Iron Dome funding. Fetterman criticized Congressional Democrats who voted against Iron Dome funding, calling them "fringe" and "extreme". Fetterman has said he supports the right of Israel to defend itself and is "passionate" in his opposition to the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions movement. He supported a law signed into law by Pennsylvania Governor Tom Wolf that barred Pennsylvania from entering into contracts with companies that boycott Israel. He supports a two-state solution and the expansion of the Abraham Accords, the Arab-Israeli agreements brokered under the Trump administration."

COOL

Yeah listen that sucks, but it's not like Republicans are leading the charge on bds.there's like what, three politicians who have good takes on the apartheid state of Israel and one of them is from Palestine, so obviously she's going to be anti apartheid

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 653
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2022, 06:12:57 PM »

COOL

Yea this isn't ideal, but considering all but one Republican senator voted to support anti-BDS laws, this isn't really making me sad that Dr. Kook didn't get elected.

Like, this is something debated amongst the Democrats and a space where negotiations might occur. This isn't even up for debate among Republicans. Also, I'm not anti-Israel in the slightest. I just think Bibi is a kook and I wish they'd pick a better leader who wasn't gung ho on stealing land from those in a much weaker state. So in short, I guess, I'm trying to say, what was your actual point here? A man representing Penn is going to be relatively moderate, ok, yeah, not surprised at all. And at present, I'll be happy about my imperfect candidate winning against someone who was completely out of his mind and was dragged in front of congress for scamming his audience on a regular basis.

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/454399-house-passes-bill-opposing-bds-exposing-democratic-divides/
« Last Edit: November 09, 2022, 06:22:20 PM by TheLurper »

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2022, 06:17:17 PM »
The problem some democrats have (that republicans seem to be able to compartmentalize better/more effectively) is they think they have to fall in love with every aspect/stance of their candidate

pleasent street

« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2022, 06:19:31 PM »
Expand Quote

COOL
[close]

Yeah listen that sucks, but it's not like Republicans are leading the charge on bds.there's like what, three politicians who have good takes on the apartheid state of Israel and one of them is from Palestine, so obviously she's going to be anti apartheid

you are absolutely correct.

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2022, 06:40:34 PM »
I voted yes on the dialysis prop as well
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2022, 01:34:13 AM »
The problem some democrats have (that republicans seem to be able to compartmentalize better/more effectively) is they think they have to fall in love with every aspect/stance of their candidate

That's definitely an issue. It's exacerbated by the fact that republicans and their propaganda channels are very good at making people vote not for the GOP, but against the dems. As long as certain people view democrats as THE threat to their way of life, it simply doesn't matter what the republicans themselves do. No matter how inapt or outright scandalous a GOP candidate behaves, they can never be a bad as the enemy.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 828
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2022, 03:47:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Woop Fetterman wins. Go get em Lurch. Its gonna be really weird to see him in a suit all the time, but I hope the jeans and carhartt make a few appearances in Congress. Josh Shapiro spanked the qanon fuckwad he was up against too. Proud of my state... the hateful assclowns out in Pennsyltucky lose again.
[close]

it'll be hard for him to maintain this illusion of a working class hero when he can no longer wear his costume.

Its only an illusion to anyone whos uniformed enough to not have done even cursory research. He doesn't claim to be from a working class background. Hes very open about where he came from and how it's affected his outlook and positions. That also has zero relevance to what he's done or is able to do for working class people. Dude stayed in his shitty neighborhood, shows up to fucking everything, and actually walks the walk. He's a definitely doing the work and I'm proud to have him represent my state.

He's one of the few people from a privileged upbringing who recognized that he got there on the back of working class people and exploiting them is fucked up, and then actually took steps to improve it. But yeah "lol he went to Harvard he shouldn't wear carhartt" is totally a valid criticism.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2022, 08:58:47 PM »
 8) Dems keep the senate and if Georgia holds together they might even gain a seat.

And Krazy Kari is not in a good spot in her attempt to become AZ's gov. She could still come back, but stoked to see her lose.
https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/politics/elections/2022/11/12/arizona-governor-vote-count-update-kari-lake-katie-hobbs-pivotal/10675267002/

The house is likely to go to Reps, but the Dems still have a small chance at keeping control.
https://www.politico.com/news/2022/11/12/house-midterm-elections-00066615

"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

Gene_Harrogate

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 657
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2022, 09:14:00 PM »
8) Dems keep the senate and if Georgia holds together they might even gain a seat.

And Krazy Kari is not in a good spot in her attempt to become AZ's gov. She could still come back, but stoked to see her lose.
https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/politics/elections/2022/11/12/arizona-governor-vote-count-update-kari-lake-katie-hobbs-pivotal/10675267002/

The house is likely to go to Reps, but the Dems still have a small chance at keeping control.
https://www.politico.com/news/2022/11/12/house-midterm-elections-00066615
Dems holding the senate could also discourage republicans to get out and vote for walker in the Georgia run of too since they can’t get a majority.

Get hungry on it!

therealnod

• Rep: 36
  • Brevity is
« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2022, 10:56:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Republicans are going to try and raise the voting age to 40 based off the gen z turnout
[close]

Considering the only seats they can flip these days are from states they gerrymander'ed the shit out of I would not at all be surprised if they did. The only way they've clung to power this long is through grifting, gee'ing people up emotionally then lying to them, and stacking the deck in their favor so the fact there's a generation that sees through it and is starting to call them on their shit probably terrifies them.

Between this, Elon now selling 4 bil of the shares he said he wouldn't sell to fund his twitter takeover that's going super smoothly, and the crypto scams starting to fall apart it must be a bad day to be a dipshit.
[close]

It’s weird that no one running against the Texas GOP ever (effectively) points out that they’ve been in power for 25 years, so all of Texas’s problems are because of them and they aren’t going to be fixing them anytime soon.   

Still have to wait for LA mayor to be decided this week.  Considering everyone in LA county gets sent mail-in ballots, was surprised to see so many people on IG go out in the rain to vote.
[close]

What problems does Texas have that any other large, high-population state doesn't? It has one of the largest state economies in the country (second highest GDP behind California), and if Texas was a country it'd have something like the 10th highest GDP in the world. People and major corporations keep moving there for a reason (third-highest population growth in the US, behind Utah and Idaho). Can hardly go a day without meeting someone who just moved from California. Texas is the second-most diverse state demographically too, which I think a lot of people outside of the state don't consider. A lot of people also don't consider just how conservative large parts of our Hispanic population is. Yeah, the state has problems, like any other nation-sized (in terms of land mass, population and GDP) state/nation experiences, but it's growing like crazy because people actually want to live there because they can make a good living, own property and prosper.
[close]
Good luck when climate change makes the place unlivable. Somebody save Austin!
[close]

Problems?   Your fucking power grid for starters.
[close]

I was certain that would be someone's go-to example. The big freeze sucked, I personally lived through it, but it was a once-in-a-100-years freak storm causing a one-off grid failure. The other 99.99% of the time the grid works just fine. And it's not like Texas is unique in that experience, other regions have had natural disaster related grid failures too that don't get near the scrutiny. We have problems like any state, but that's a lazy example.
They don't let you read no news down there in Texas now, do they?
https://www.texastribune.org/2021/02/22/texas-power-grid-extreme-weather/

manysnakes

« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2022, 06:11:29 AM »
The real lesson from this last week is normal people absolutely hate these terminally online groypers and college republicans.

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2022, 08:47:13 AM »
we vape we vote

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1034
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2022, 09:21:44 AM »

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2022, 12:50:14 AM »
Wow, Palin handed Alaska to the Dems. The race hasn't been called, but I don't even see how it is mathematically Peltola to lose. Dems are still going to lose the house, but what a win to keep Alaska.

I wonder if this is a prequel to the 2024 election. DeSantis and Trump split the conservative vote creating a landslide for whoever runs against them. It'd be a good short term win to keep DeSantis and Trump out of office, but I just wonder what would happen in 2026.

Gene_Harrogate

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2022, 04:14:31 AM »

I wonder if this is a prequel to the 2024 election. DeSantis and Trump split the conservative vote creating a landslide for whoever runs against them. It'd be a good short term win to keep DeSantis and Trump out of office, but I just wonder what would happen in 2026.

Glad to see Kari Lake lose the governor’s race in AZ too.  I’m looking forward to watching all the republican infighting to come now that they’re turning on trump.  We all know he doesn’t take L’s well and will do whatever he can to get revenge.

Get hungry on it!

manysnakes

« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2022, 06:41:19 AM »
A Republican civil war (Trump vs. DeSantis) will be hilarious. Best case scenario for Dems would be a DeSantis victory with a Trump third party run.

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -75
« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2022, 06:53:18 AM »

There's that saying...

Democrats fall in love.
Republicans fall in line.

But then, seeing the trend of the right literally worshiping politicians like deities...maybe they fall in love and fall in line.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2022, 07:21:27 AM »
Wow, Palin handed Alaska to the Dems. The race hasn't been called, but I don't even see how it is mathematically Peltola to lose. Dems are still going to lose the house, but what a win to keep Alaska.

Alaska implemented Ranked Choice voting.  Because nobody was able to clear 50% in the first vote they will now take all the folks that voted for the 3rd place person (Begich) and look to see who those people voted for as their second choice.  If almost all of the Begich voters marked Palin as their second choice then she will win.  But she's loony tunes, so that's doubtful.

It is arguable that had Begich been in second instead of third and they had to re-allocate the Palin votes we would have seen almost all go to Begich and he would have good chance at winning.

I like ranked choice voting as it does keep a third party from spoiling the election more often than not.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 814
« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2022, 07:48:53 AM »

COOL

yeah you're right.  guess Dr Oz should have won, you fucking dipshit
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

SneakySecrets

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1140
« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2022, 01:44:17 PM »
A Republican civil war (Trump vs. DeSantis) will be hilarious. Best case scenario for Dems would be a DeSantis victory with a Trump third party run.

I’d love to be a fly on the wall for the republican’s closed-door strategy sessions about those two.

From what I’ve gleaned from various talking heads and editorials, most think that Trump just has too many diehard supporters and would overwhelm DeSantis in the primary elections…

Which is ironic because I’d imagine that DeSantis would ultimately be more likely to win the general election.  And the fact that Trump is so internally corrosive to the party, being the exact antithesis of a team player.  He is apparently perfectly content to burn the Republican party to the ground as long as he wins. 

If I were the republicans, for the overall health of the party, I’d be trying to do everything possible to defuse the Trump cult of personality and boost DeSantis.

When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #54 on: November 15, 2022, 02:22:31 PM »

I think best case for Dems is a strong presidential candidate that galvanizes the electorate….but I do want the GOP to self-immolate too

I don’t necessarily have an issue with Biden bc he’s basically fulfilled what he ran on and he was always going to be a Jimmy Carter type executive of having to put the country back together in the aftermath of the barbarians’ looting, but I am somewhat concerned these results will embolden him to run again

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2022, 03:17:16 PM »
I don’t necessarily have an issue with Biden bc he’s basically fulfilled what he ran on and he was always going to be a Jimmy Carter type executive of having to put the country back together in the aftermath of the barbarians’ looting, but I am somewhat concerned these results will embolden him to run again

I am concerned of that as well.  Can we get a candidate that is under retirement age? 

Gene_Harrogate

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #56 on: November 15, 2022, 03:22:53 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think best case for Dems is a strong presidential candidate that galvanizes the electorate….but I do want the GOP to self-immolate too

I definitely want Biden to pass the torch after this term like he originally indicated he would do.  Gen Z showed up big time to help stifle the so called "red wave", so much so that repub pundits are clamoring about raising the voting age (which is fucking hysterical).  It only makes sense to bring in a candidate that can better represent younger generations.

Get hungry on it!

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #57 on: November 15, 2022, 03:41:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
I definitely want Biden to pass the torch after this term like he originally indicated he would do.  Gen Z showed up big time to help stifle the so called "red wave", so much so that repub pundits are clamoring about raising the voting age (which is fucking hysterical).  It only makes sense to bring in a candidate that can better represent younger generations.

The big question/problem is that there isn’t really someone to do that.   Beto/Abrams are 2x gubernatorial losers and likely better slotted as VPs and Kamala has shockingly disappeared and isn’t doing much to raise her profile.   I don’t mind Newsom, but maybe that’s because I’m familiar with him since back when he was mayor of SF and frankly as a native I want one President from CA to not be the absolute pits, but I do not think he’s a real pick

Big Skatefase

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 562
« Reply #58 on: November 15, 2022, 03:43:15 PM »
It makes sense to bring in candidates that represent what Gen Z wants out of politicians, until you remember that the younger generation wants far-left candidates, and the DNC is very openly against far-left candidates.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #59 on: November 15, 2022, 04:37:39 PM »
It makes sense to bring in candidates that represent what Gen Z wants out of politicians, until you remember that the younger generation wants far-left candidates, and the DNC is very openly against far-left candidates.

To be fair, until very recently, young people weren’t showing up to vote.   Whether it’s a chicken and the egg situation of “youth not showing up to vote because there’s no one to appeal to them” vs “not putting out candidates to appeal to the youth because the youth never votes” is a question for someone else.

I’m a little more centrist when compared to the gen-z far left because I have a practical streak in me, but I’m also someone in favor of the executive branch being more moderate/centrist whilst filling the legislature with progressives/far left types, one of the reasons I didn’t vote for Bernie - not thst I didn’t want him to be President, but I didn’t want him to leave the Senate where I think his skills are more valuable