Author Topic: Tampa(Japan) Am 2023  (Read 5425 times)

SHARPSHOOTER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -306
  • Bret Hart
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Tampa(Japan) Am 2023
« on: November 13, 2022, 02:31:21 PM »
Wow what the hell was Manny Santiago on. He kept saying weird shit about asians and even went Chinga Ching chong when talking about a kids hat.

Daiki is sick.

270 to lip is the new crook nollie flip.

Brian Shafer was hammered telling everyone to meet at the bar when 90% of the kids were fetuses

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 309
Re: Tampa(Japan) Am 2023
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2022, 02:59:52 PM »
Please stop with the 270 lipslides and bigger flip front boards.

jsettle

• Rep: 134
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2022, 03:04:05 PM »
Wow what the hell was Manny Santiago on. He kept saying weird shit about asians and even went Chinga Ching chong when talking about a kids hat.

Daiki is sick.

Brian Shafer was hammered telling everyone to meet at the bar when 90% of the kids were fetuses

Ya he sucks as a commentator. Should get gary rogers in there

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -74
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2022, 03:19:09 PM »

I though his commentary was mostly bad, all the stupid jokes about foreign skaters names got old really fast.
But I'm pretty sure he was doing a bad impression of a minion, kid was wearing a minion beanie.

stephop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -391
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2022, 03:19:41 PM »
All I know is how did Japan take over contests so fucking fast?

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -225
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2022, 03:19:48 PM »

Daiki is sick.

So disappointed to hear about Manny Slays All being a racist.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

SHARPSHOOTER

• Rep: -306
  • Bret Hart
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2022, 03:40:23 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I though his commentary was mostly bad, all the stupid jokes about foreign skaters names got old really fast.
But I'm pretty sure he was doing a bad impression of a minion, kid was wearing a minion beanie.
Haha I realized he had a minion beanie on after the rewatch.

Calling the Koffee kid all the the coffee jokes got old so fast. “He’s not decaf”. Manny was definitely on the caff

Maurice46

• Rep: 10
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2022, 05:30:57 PM »
I dipped in and out of the stream and ultimately realized I couldn't be bothered. IMO, the lack of spontaneity and uncertainty in the styles and approaches of many of the skaters in the finals made it a dull watch.  I mean, there is such a thing as too many flip variations in a run right? I know, it's a skate contest in 2022 so what did I expect. Still, in the last 6 or 7 years there has been an acceleration of an almost cookie cutter approach of each successive crop of contest AMs that essentially comes across as (insert dull traditional sport here) with a baggy fit and zero vibe. However, this year definitely seemed the worst. All that said, it's clear that the skaters are top in the field in terms of generic talent. In the end I guess I'm just not the intended audience for this sort of thing.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2022, 05:56:55 PM by Maurice46 »

doublesteveburger

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2022, 05:54:07 PM »
shit was so ass

friendly dave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 745
  • grinding to a halt
    • grindingtoahalt avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2022, 06:58:27 PM »
It'd be interesting if Tampa added a clause, or just do a comp where if you get off your board, maybe not for a slam, your run is over. I think it could be interesting to watch, and maybe get some of the trick machines to think about flow a little more instead of counting points.
Because you can't kill and idea, and we will not be ruled!

the visuals are also mad visual yo
FTW

chudzinski

• Rep: -2
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2022, 07:25:26 PM »
It'd be interesting if Tampa added a clause, or just do a comp where if you get off your board, maybe not for a slam, your run is over. I think it could be interesting to watch, and maybe get some of the trick machines to think about flow a little more instead of counting points.

Totally agree. Lack of flow kills these competitions with boring stalls or just getting off and dropping in. Also so many front feebler across the big rail got so boring and the bigger flip front board has to go.

graibe

• Rep: -53
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2022, 07:37:56 PM »
I just think its funny that there was a kid named lazer from florida riding a disorder deck. no hate towards the kid (bc he's dope) but his whole vibe seems like something monster energy drinks would put together in a lab. lazer is kinda a sick name tho.. i wish i was called lazer.

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2022, 07:43:20 PM »
Manny seems like a great dude but holy shit he was making me anxious with his commentary. I can't imagine what those kids skating were going through.

Kids would bail with like 15 - 20 seconds left and he would say something like "come on at least do something for the crowd!" Talking as if they had already blown their shot. He was also telling kids what tricks to do during their run while also trying to guess what someone was gonna do. "Is he gonna do fakie lip or the tre flip 5050?" He was being so over the top supportive it was stressful, at least to me, and I wasn't even skating.

I'm positive it wasn't him trying to throw these kids off but that would absolutely get me in my head if I had a professional skateboarder talk right to me and literally tell me what I should do during a contest run. I think that could easily frazzle and jam someone up who's already under extreme pressure.

It seemed like there was a total lack of self awareness on the mic this weekend.

Edit: "front board just gettin away from them" after someone bailed was said a record over 9000 times this weekend.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2022, 07:52:18 PM by fineslime »

Grrrreencans

• Rep: -85
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2022, 09:32:58 PM »
Don't give a flying fuck about tampa but I would imagine the Japanese have a distinct advantage over others [in U.S. based competitions at least] based on their ability to tune out the neurotic banter that clearly throws off english-speaking skaters.  Yeah you can put headphones in but then you can't hear own skating. One thing to skate in front of so many people, whole nother story trying to skate with Chris Pastras and Manny Santiago of all people yelling shit at you on your run up.

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 79
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2022, 12:48:27 AM »
I watched it before going to bed. It wasn’t too bad. Ikeda deserved the win for shure.

I am a bit torn on ginwoo. He does a the most obnoxiously difficult tricks, but suffers a bit from little kids style.

Lazer was good, but I wouldn’t have given him third place. I had Kyonosuke in second and Ginwoo in third. Maybe they didn’t want to have an all Japanese podium?

I liked Cordano Russel in the final. He looked like an NFL tightend who got lost at a skate contest, where he had to compete with only tiny people. He’s got good style and did some good things. Somebody should have taken him to the side and told him to stop doing Nollie three shoves into grinds, though. Looking forward to a street part from him.

Gab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 280
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2022, 01:11:57 AM »
I watched it before going to bed. It wasn’t too bad. Ikeda deserved the win for shure.

I am a bit torn on ginwoo. He does a the most obnoxiously difficult tricks, but suffers a bit from little kids style.

Lazer was good, but I wouldn’t have given him third place. I had Kyonosuke in second and Ginwoo in third. Maybe they didn’t want to have an all Japanese podium?

I liked Cordano Russel in the final. He looked like an NFL tightend who got lost at a skate contest, where he had to compete with only tiny people. He’s got good style and did some good things. Somebody should have taken him to the side and told him to stop doing Nollie three shoves into grinds, though. Looking forward to a street part from him.

The nollie three shove to board was pretty bad, I chalked it up to him having double ankle braces on. Maybe he can’t flick and kinda had to figure something out to stay afloat. I will say I highly enjoyed Aimu, especially that first run. So smooth and casual, got an audible reaction out of me.

1080isthebeststunt

• Rep: -30
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2022, 01:13:19 AM »
Expand Quote

Daiki is sick.

[close]

So disappointed to hear about Manny Slays All being a racist.

its 2022 poc americans need to realize they can be mad racist and harmful towards other people and their cultures.
there might not be racism towards white people but that doesnt mean you cant be racist.
tired of all the chris tucker ching chang chong ass jokes.

assvogel

• Rep: 210
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2022, 01:26:52 AM »
I watched most qualifier runs and the level of skateboarding was no-doubt very good... but at the same time there were only a handful skaters that brought something else on the table (not counting the darkslide fella).

I think I saw more flip front blunts on that flat-bar than any transition trick that wasn't an axle stall... or any other trick for that matter.

But Daikis winning run was sick for sure though, even if those same tricks were seen multiple times during the weekend.

Captain Creampie

• Rep: -8
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2022, 02:02:27 AM »
Not the first time there’s been what would be deemed racist comments towards non-American skateboarders there. I know it’s meant as a joke but those guys are all old enough to know better by now.

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 467
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2022, 02:24:05 AM »
Abolish the 270 and flip in plus flip out in a single trick please, skating ain't stacking legos

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 189
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2022, 02:56:33 AM »
He kept saying weird shit about asians and even went Chinga Ching chong when talking about a kids hat.
wait what?

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

35mm

• Rep: 29
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2022, 03:12:27 AM »

ungzilla

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 987
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2022, 04:50:10 AM »
mommm slap hates my fucking jokes

1080isthebeststunt

• Rep: -30
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2022, 05:55:31 AM »
the perfect run in 2022 includes

bs 270 lip
crooks nollie flip
bigger flip fs boardslide
kickflip fs blunt

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 488
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2022, 06:03:00 AM »
Also getting off your board at the top of the ramp and taking a prolonged deep breath / looking longingly out into the distance before dropping in again
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

YMCMB

• Rep: 49
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2022, 06:11:24 AM »

I liked most of what Cordano did, but if you're gonna wear two ankle braces, with white crew socks, maybe just wear black socks?

lemonchicken91

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 242
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2022, 06:14:18 AM »
Also getting off your board at the top of the ramp and taking a prolonged deep breath / looking longingly out into the distance before dropping in again

just like me fr
no, i live in an efficiency by myself and work in middle management like you, loser

lemonchicken91

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 242
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2022, 06:14:57 AM »
I'm only here to see LAterloser hang with kelly hart
no, i live in an efficiency by myself and work in middle management like you, loser

bluntfullofmid

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2022, 06:23:19 AM »
"yall act like abusin' women is so bad."
- Crailtap

stephop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -391
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2022, 06:25:40 AM »

Well to be fair 3 out of every 4 or more winners have not been flowing around the course for a couple of decades. It's  Not really something new.