Author Topic: Slappy trucks (Mike Sinclair's new brand)  (Read 41763 times)

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 847
Re: Slappy trucks (Mike Sinclair's new brand)
« Reply #240 on: March 22, 2023, 03:37:09 AM »
BOOM!

I'll do some comparison to other 8.25 trucks when I get home tomorrow

Man from this angle they kinda look like a theeve and indy had a head on collision.

Can any of you guys compare them to destructo d1?

streetmeat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 170
« Reply #241 on: March 22, 2023, 06:20:20 AM »
I’ve got a lightly used pair, they aren’t for me..If anyone is curious to try them,  I’m willing to trade for comparable Indy or Ace..
8.75” wide ...

inverted kp?

IpathCats

« Reply #242 on: March 22, 2023, 06:26:43 AM »
I'm glad people are enjoying these and they arent just some useless crap flooding the market. Really, as a gear nerd I like hearing about people being stoked on their shit, honestly.

But god damn, I can't stand looking at them.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 965
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #243 on: March 23, 2023, 08:06:36 PM »
They Manny and grind very nicely. Turn is basically indyism if I remember correctly. It's been some years since I last indyed

Bushings are definitely aceism. I'm going to swap out if anything fits
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

logjammin

• Rep: 336
« Reply #244 on: March 25, 2023, 12:43:24 PM »
I'm glad people are enjoying these and they arent just some useless crap flooding the market. Really, as a gear nerd I like hearing about people being stoked on their shit, honestly.

But god damn, I can't stand looking at them.

Yeah, they look like some trucks off a Walmart complete. The tech and performance might be there but I have to be physically attracted to my trucks.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #245 on: March 25, 2023, 06:33:54 PM »
So I threw flat washers on um. I hate regular shape bushing washers. I never ever use those on anything anymore. The industry should just switch. I'm pretty sure in the 70s and 80s most washers were flat. Some trucks had double barrels too.

I noticed the the pivot cups are nicely lubricated. I was kinda shocked to see that attention to detail.

I'm dumping my risers. Even with a 58 it's unnecessary
(A)pl(E)

fernando the skater

• Rep: 114
« Reply #246 on: March 26, 2023, 02:58:04 AM »
So I threw flat washers on um. I hate regular shape bushing washers. I never ever use those on anything anymore. The industry should just switch. I'm pretty sure in the 70s and 80s most washers were flat. Some trucks had double barrels too.

Yes, flat washers are a simple way of getting a looser feeling truck. I've found it hard to get small ones for the top though.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #247 on: March 26, 2023, 08:24:55 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yes, flat washers are a simple way of getting a looser feeling truck. I've found it hard to get small ones for the top though.

I almost used bottle caps.
(A)pl(E)

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
« Reply #248 on: March 26, 2023, 10:05:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

saving this idea in the back of my head for a rainy day

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #249 on: March 26, 2023, 06:23:14 PM »
That hanger shape is so nice for slappy crooks. I never ever do those and boom I'm like popping out. I did like 5 and ate total shit.

Flat washers helps big time.

Smaller wheels is better with these.

Here's what I chose

Too early to say much now I think about it

What the flat washers look like
« Last Edit: March 26, 2023, 06:30:53 PM by Uncle Flea »
(A)pl(E)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 997
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #250 on: March 26, 2023, 06:53:25 PM »
I was thinking about swapping to a flat washer as the stock washer looks like it's binding to me, if you ride loose there is next to no room between the hanger

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #251 on: March 26, 2023, 06:59:37 PM »
I was thinking about swapping to a flat washer as the stock washer looks like it's binding to me, if you ride loose there is next to no room between the hanger

agreed.
(A)pl(E)

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #252 on: April 13, 2023, 02:34:39 PM »
So, Theeve 4.0 without TI?

That is some serious grind clearance tho...

Been a while, but I skated with an old homie whom I gifted some Theeve a while back and took them for a spin....

They're almost the same damn feeling truck, just taller; feel pretty spot on having called them Theeve 4.0. Faster initial turn than Indy, and stable when you need them, very much ACE deep turn without wheelbite but with that center stability Theeve used.

Even the yoke (and under hanger design is silimlar).

Slappy Trucks, the brother from another, and another, and another mother.

jimgrude

• Rep: 67
« Reply #253 on: April 13, 2023, 06:17:55 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Been a while, but I skated with an old homie whom I gifted some Theeve a while back and took them for a spin....

They're almost the same damn feeling truck, just taller; feel pretty spot on having called them Theeve 4.0. Faster initial turn than Indy, and stable when you need them, very much ACE deep turn without wheelbite but with that center stability Theeve used.

As someone who came directly from Theeve to Slappy, can confirm! I noticed that I didn't have a lot to say about them other than them feeling perfect for me. Just a slightly taller Theeve with even better kingpin clearance. Like an Indy with better turn stability. Like an Ace with better pop and less wheelbite.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #254 on: April 13, 2023, 06:27:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

As someone who came directly from Theeve to Slappy, can confirm! I noticed that I didn't have a lot to say about them other than them feeling perfect for me. Just a slightly taller Theeve with even better kingpin clearance. Like an Indy with better turn stability. Like an Ace with better pop and less wheelbite.

jimgrude

• Rep: 67
« Reply #255 on: April 13, 2023, 08:05:11 PM »

Yeah, I've been having issues with the top washer as well. I felt like I had to ride them stock at first to get a feel for them. Bad idea. It started digging into my top bushing immediately. I seriously don't understand why they insist on using cupped washers.

This is after the first session. Some big pieces had already fallen off

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #256 on: April 27, 2023, 07:53:40 PM »
The slappy hollow IKP is not compatible with Indy or Royal IKP plates (it's too short / not enough threads).

That is all.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 681
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #257 on: April 28, 2023, 07:40:07 AM »

I noticed the the pivot cups are nicely lubricated. I was kinda shocked to see that attention to detail.

my AF1s had goop in there as well

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
« Reply #258 on: April 28, 2023, 10:28:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

genius..

YMCMB

• Rep: 50
« Reply #259 on: April 28, 2023, 11:13:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

genius..
Fury X Lowcard did this

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #260 on: April 28, 2023, 12:30:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

genius..

I got it from freestyle heads. They do it to have more traction when standing in the truck.
(A)pl(E)

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #261 on: April 28, 2023, 01:01:56 PM »
Looks punk as fuck tho.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #262 on: April 28, 2023, 07:23:34 PM »
Looks punk as fuck tho.

I agree. It's a very good look.
(A)pl(E)

Tiltmode Army Reservist

• Rep: 22
  • RIP Ben Raemers
« Reply #263 on: April 29, 2023, 08:43:50 AM »
I bought an 8.25" set of the hollow axle / hollow inverted kingpin trucks, and I love them. Great turn, great grind, great manual, great compliments from interested folks at my local park, great vibes all around. And I do like seeing that Slappy logo on the baseplate when I'm looking at my setup. I'm thinking about getting a set of the solid axle / inverted kingpin Slappys for my cruiser board.

I swapped out the bushings (the ones I like are much harder than the stock bushings), and then I put a pair of hollow Krux DLKs on them too, and they're spectacular. The kingpin swap may be more for mental reasons than anything else: Those Krux DLKs weigh 20 grams, the hollow inverted kingpins that come with the Slappy's are 25 grams, and the solid inverted kingpins that NHS makes and puts in their Indy and Krux inverted kingpin trucks are 30 grams.

I was riding a pair of Frankenstein'd Independent Mids with a hollow 144 axle and the same kingpin and bushing setup as above, but wanted to give Mike's trucks a try.

I am worried about how the axle nut just sits in the Slappy Baseplate (it's a hex bed setup) because I had a set of Krux K4's that were built like that, and over time the axle nut stretched out the baseplate and those kingpins would move around laterally. If that happens with the Slappy Trucks I'll try JB Welding that sumbitch in place, or if the baseplate gets fucked, try putting the Slappy Hanger on the Indy Mid Baseplate (I do like how the kingpin screws into those).
RIP Ben Raemers

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
« Reply #264 on: May 05, 2023, 11:36:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

genius..
[close]
Fury X Lowcard did this

those bottle caps actually looks good..

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #265 on: May 16, 2023, 06:05:58 PM »
It took a minute, but now I know why there’s less wheelbite using Slappy trucks:

Because as the bushings break in and get squishy the washer binds, but not where you typically think it would (like with a venture behind king nut), it actually binds on the left and right side as you lean into your turn.

Just using hand strength whatever the fuck my grip strength is, I’m not touching the board with the wheel but my washer is now bound up against the hanger and I can’t turn any more, the board just lifts off the ground at that point.

This photo having switched to flat sleeved washers, you can see or maybe you can’t but it’s what’s happening, I’m now able to use hand strength and get the wheel to wheelbite, but I am no longer bound at the washer/hanger contact point you’ll also note, the ridges in the top bushings are exactly where the washer is digging in/or compressing to their max using the stock washer.

I bones washer also works fine for this.

Still really like them tho...!

« Last Edit: August 01, 2023, 12:01:33 AM by Xen »

Zyth

• Rep: 8
« Reply #266 on: May 30, 2023, 01:23:41 PM »
made in china with exclusive trucks for zumiez i can't support them anymore, gone back to thunder team standard

Violator

• Rep: 73
« Reply #267 on: May 30, 2023, 05:34:29 PM »
Really loving my set so far.  I got the hollow IKP in 8.5.  They're relatively new but they grind really well and once I took out the bottom washer they turn beautifully. The top washer is kind of ripping at the top as people have mentioned but I don't really mind it  :)

yghartsyrt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 218
« Reply #268 on: May 30, 2023, 11:33:38 PM »
made in china with exclusive trucks for zumiez i can't support them anymore, gone back to thunder team standard

Mind to elaborate? Don’t know anything about your claims

alraunen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 244
    • www.davidcampillo.net avatar image
« Reply #269 on: May 31, 2023, 12:00:29 AM »
Slappy's are available in the UK now, but there's no distribution in Europe yet. Hopefully, I will be able to buy a pair without paying taxes soon now that they're being distributed with Enjoi and Madness 2.0

https://blacksheepstore.co.uk/collections/skateboards/slappy-trucks