Author Topic: The Worst Skateparks You’ve Skated  (Read 3708 times)

Resident Jeff

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 20
Re: The Worst Skateparks You’ve Skated
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2022, 07:13:32 PM »
Most Australian parks built in the 90’s/early 2000’s.
The stuff you guys are posting looks amazing compared to what we grew up with.
Reschs Refreshes

FUBAR

• Rep: 247
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2022, 03:37:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Judging by the photos some of you have great skate parks nearby. For a state as populated as NJ we have some of the shittiest skateparks you could imagine. This thread will pay tribute to the shittiest of the shit.

Behold the now defunct Somerville NJ skatepark:

This park is the ugliest skatepark I ever saw. Not only is the ground an old tennis court surface but the ramps were topped with Masonite in a state with four seasons. The paint scheme reminds me of The Peoples Republic of China. And the wall ride is just laughable and takes up the entire far end of the park. The first time I heard that Somerville had a park I was stoked but when I arrived I just had to laugh. I did not become a local.

Please share your abominations…
[close]

maple shade skatepark and the new freedom skatepark are abominations

freedom is especially heinous because they built 1/4 of it and then the rest is black top...
And now the blacktop is a pickleball court. So lame, since it’s 5 minutes from my house. If you’re into curbs I have a few going at Kirbys Mill school. I go there most of the time instead of Freedom. Or I go to Pennsauken which is rad.

mooraga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2022, 04:31:39 AM »
Most Australian parks built in the 90’s/early 2000’s.
The stuff you guys are posting looks amazing compared to what we grew up with.

same story but in Chile
early 00's launched a rise of small horribly designed and built skateparks close to my rainy hometown; it was like skating a street spot.
some of them lasted nothing or were falling apart at the inaugural contest already  ;D

nowadays we still have some horrible designs out there but built quality its way better
« Last Edit: November 29, 2022, 04:39:34 AM by mooraga »

zahed

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: -25
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2022, 04:58:30 AM »
Grew up in Roanoke, Virginia and this is all we had;

It's all wooden and basically built for BMXers. There has been an effort to get it rebuilt and hopefully it works out.

Shoutout Greenhouse boardshop - the local shop left for Blacksburg which has a servicable park:

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 308
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2022, 08:57:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Judging by the photos some of you have great skate parks nearby. For a state as populated as NJ we have some of the shittiest skateparks you could imagine. This thread will pay tribute to the shittiest of the shit.

This park is the ugliest skatepark I ever saw. Not only is the ground an old tennis court surface but the ramps were topped with Masonite in a state with four seasons. The paint scheme reminds me of The Peoples Republic of China. And the wall ride is just laughable and takes up the entire far end of the park. The first time I heard that Somerville had a park I was stoked but when I arrived I just had to laugh. I did not become a local.

[close]

freedom is especially heinous because they built 1/4 of it and then the rest is black top...
[close]
And now the blacktop is a pickleball court. So lame, since it’s 5 minutes from my house. If you’re into curbs I have a few going at Kirbys Mill school. I go there most of the time instead of Freedom. Or I go to Pennsauken which is rad.

I remember being so stoked when Sayreville and Maple Shade got built then being totally bummed when I skated them.

Same deal with the Freedom expansion which was built by Grindline(!) but also managed to mostly suck. Had more fun there on the super long flatbar. Last time I checked that place out the blacktop was basically unrideable.

Shield’s was pretty much the next phase for indoor parks in the area.

So one day we’re at FDR and the owner of Sheilds skatepark comes up handing out flyers. He says he’s opening a park, asks us our names and shit. We introduce ourselves and are being cordial and so we ask him his name. (We were all late 20s/early 30s, he looks about 10 years older or less)

“Mr. Shields” he replies.

Everyone busts out laughing and someone says something like “Get out of here you dork!”

Good times. Never made it to his skatepark.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2022, 09:22:35 AM »
Old Pondy in Bend.   

It was poured 25 years ago by a local concrete company - not a skatepark company.  The bowls have flat spots in the transitions so they are hard to pump. The concrete is crumbling so you will need to watch out so you don't get flat spots from the broken off pieces.  The far "wave" is probably 7 feet high, with a super steep transition at the bottom and mellow as hell at the top.  It's more like a wall ride than a quarter pipe.  The ledge has coping, but enough of the concrete behind it has broken away that it can suck in a wheel if you hit it wrong.

It's a beauty.

https://www.northwestskater.com/bendold.html

EDIT:  Found a crappy screen shot of the ledge (attached)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2022, 09:29:36 AM by backinaction »

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1093
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2022, 12:26:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

I remember being so stoked when Sayreville and Maple Shade got built then being totally bummed when I skated them.

Same deal with the Freedom expansion which was built by Grindline(!) but also managed to mostly suck. Had more fun there on the super long flatbar. Last time I checked that place out the blacktop was basically unrideable.

Expand Quote
[close]

So one day we’re at FDR and the owner of Sheilds skatepark comes up handing out flyers. He says he’s opening a park, asks us our names and shit. We introduce ourselves and are being cordial and so we ask him his name. (We were all late 20s/early 30s, he looks about 10 years older or less)

Everyone busts out laughing and someone says something like “Get out of here you dork!”

Sayreville was pretty decent until the bowl started cracking. Maple Shade made me feel like a coward.

Mr. Shield’s was a gymnastics coach in the area who already has a lease so he decided to rent another unit.

They had an excellent but slippery 6’ mini ramp that I broke my leg on.

He called me the next day to ask how I was doing. Good business move in case I wanted to sue.

OMSK

• Rep: 39
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2022, 01:43:21 PM »
Old Pondy in Bend.   

It was poured 25 years ago by a local concrete company - not a skatepark company.  The bowls have flat spots in the transitions so they are hard to pump. The concrete is crumbling so you will need to watch out so you don't get flat spots from the broken off pieces.  The far "wave" is probably 7 feet high, with a super steep transition at the bottom and mellow as hell at the top.  It's more like a wall ride than a quarter pipe.  The ledge has coping, but enough of the concrete behind it has broken away that it can suck in a wheel if you hit it wrong.

It's a beauty.

https://www.northwestskater.com/bendold.html

EDIT:  Found a crappy screen shot of the ledge (attached)

For as much as Oregon was the leader in building skateparks for a few years, they have really fallen behind. Most of the original parks built in the early 00's are in desperate need of a rebuild or just some love to get them back up to "skate able". It's extremely disappointing how we still don't have a covered park in Portland. Sure there is Burnside, but that space is limited to add on to. Just in the Portland vicinity there are a bunch of crappy parks. Venture out and they really get wild the further south and east you go.

Mollala is legitimately terrible and should be bulldozed, but that's probably the only park they'll ever get so it's better than nothing at this point. That scratch grind there is tough, so that gives you an idea of how shitty that park is. Believe it or not there are parks in Oregon that are worse than Mollala.

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2022, 01:47:42 PM »
Bham Washington. Full concrete park and somehow worse than an empty tennis ball court with a flat bar

really? isn't that a Dreamland park? Looks fun as shit.

rosemaryBB

• Rep: 36
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2022, 04:11:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Sayreville was pretty decent until the bowl started cracking. Maple Shade made me feel like a coward.

Mr. Shield’s was a gymnastics coach in the area who already has a lease so he decided to rent another unit.

He called me the next day to ask how I was doing. Good business move in case I wanted to sue.

Yeah gotta say Sayreville was the shit. Was always a special trip when me and my friends went out there, also the first time I ever checked out NJ skateshop.

NJ really does have a lot of trash though. Anyone ever skate Livingston, or even worse Byram? Byram might actually be the worst park I’ve ever skated.

GrayCellGreen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2022, 04:38:29 PM »
Ronald Reagan skatepark in Temecula is an absolute dump

Agreed. I went there one time in 2018 when I moved to this area and was impressed by how bad it was. Horrible layout. I was hyped when they built that Goetz Park in Perris a few years ago. It has its flaws like any other park, but its closer to my house and has good transition.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -619
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2022, 04:48:27 PM »
Controversial post but I was actually pretty bummed on most of the old dreamland/grindline skaterparks when i went to oregon. Like a lot of them were either just stupidly gnarly, falling apart, poorly layed out or a combination of all 3. Hood river is a good example of being all 3. The big bowl up the top is stupid and probably gets used like twice a year because it's so tight and steep, the mini ramp section under the cover has so little flow it is almost not worth skating and then the rest of the park is just deteriorating.

Still better than what I grew up with but some of them are just a seriously sad state of affairs
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2022, 04:54:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Bham Washington. Full concrete park and somehow worse than an empty tennis ball court with a flat bar
[close]

really? isn't that a Dreamland park? Looks fun as shit.
[close]
If you say so

not the park I was thinking of. Still could have fun there.

Isn't this the Bellingham park?

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 465
« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2022, 10:18:57 PM »
Expand Quote
There are some pretty heinous skateparks around BC. A lot of good ones too but the earlier generation parks have some of the worst designs and obstacles.

My local is pretty rough but it at least has a nice ledge, fixed round bar (not the one in the asphalt) and enough room to throw in random DIY obstacles.  Locals have been trying to get something going for an upgrade or new park for the last 10 years at least but I think the idiots kept pocketing the money from all the fundraisers. Not sure we even deserve anything better judging by the way most people treat the park. I'm always sweeping up broken glass and picking up trash cause there are many small children who come there daily still. Can't find any good pictures so I'll repost the corny drone video (definitely mute the audio) someone made for a contest that we ironically lost to this park in Oliver BC on the mainland.

Now Oliver park has been upgraded as far as I can tell but when I skated there in the mid 2000s it was definitely the worst park I had ever skated. The mini ramp is like a crooked bank with angle iron coping I believe. Everything else is totally fucked. They definitely needed an upgrade more than we did. Newline added some transition stuff to it but I can't find any recent pictures. This is what it was like when I skated there. Just a total fucking write-off.

[close]

BC does have some shit parks.
Endery skatepark is terrible. Vernon's skatepark is dog shit. The skatepark is Sechelt on the Sunshine coast  is literally unskateable. Its like massive ramps meant for old 80s soft wheels and BMXs. I think it was actually build in the 80s, but whole knows.

Powell River's old skatepark is pretty disgusting too. Allegedly the guy in charge bought a new truck and took off with the rest of the money and left them with some crusty asphalt noping bowl with weird big vert ledge extensions and some weird ledges and lumps of shit concrete scattered around. Thankfully they have a new park and a cute little pump track on either side of it now. Not a fan of the new park really but it's 20x better.

Can't really find any pics of it but this is overview of all 3 together currently

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1390
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2022, 11:45:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Ronald Reagan skatepark in Temecula is an absolute dump
[close]

Agreed. I went there one time in 2018 when I moved to this area and was impressed by how bad it was. Horrible layout. I was hyped when they built that Goetz Park in Perris a few years ago. It has its flaws like any other park, but its closer to my house and has good transition.

Shout out to the old San Jacinto park that was at a church and had metal ramps and a wooden bowl full of holes and exposed screws. Metal ramps in 100+ heat would brand you instantly if you fell.

Also gotta pay my respects to the best worst skatepark ever: old Carlsbad

Dooky-shoes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -306
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2022, 08:01:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Ventura had, maybe still has a pretty bad one but leucadia park or the ashtray is terribly laid out. Its on one of those worst skatepark vids with brezinski.
Kenny hoyle(very underrated) managed to find a way to get some tricks.
I’d say you guys got me beat though
[close]

Ventura has not one but three really bad parks, probably the worst i have skated in the usa. The famous one is West park which has a bank to wall that has been in a bunch of videos. Anything done on that bank to wall is twice as gnarly in person.

What's crazy is Ventura has such a big skate scene that it can support three independent skateshops and a zumiez yet the local city won't build a skatepark worth going to. A lot of condos going up though.
[close]

The Ventura parks are the worst... I lived there back when those were built. I was so stoked to hear the parks were being built and so disappointed when they finally opened. What a f*ckin waste!  That bank-to-wall at Westpark ain't no joke though! That thing separates the men from the boys!
I should’ve pointed out that i lived there in the early 2000’s. I’m thinking of the wooden/metal park if my terrible memory serves me right. It was right around the time the SB park was built. Spent a lot of time there but still not the greatest.

Is skate street still around?
That place was fun but i did blow up my ankle on the mini. Totally my fault, one or two(or 5) too many beers before the sesh. A plate and a few screws later i still have fond memories.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -619
« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2022, 06:00:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Ventura had, maybe still has a pretty bad one but leucadia park or the ashtray is terribly laid out. Its on one of those worst skatepark vids with brezinski.
Kenny hoyle(very underrated) managed to find a way to get some tricks.
I’d say you guys got me beat though
[close]

Ventura has not one but three really bad parks, probably the worst i have skated in the usa. The famous one is West park which has a bank to wall that has been in a bunch of videos. Anything done on that bank to wall is twice as gnarly in person.

What's crazy is Ventura has such a big skate scene that it can support three independent skateshops and a zumiez yet the local city won't build a skatepark worth going to. A lot of condos going up though.
[close]

The Ventura parks are the worst... I lived there back when those were built. I was so stoked to hear the parks were being built and so disappointed when they finally opened. What a f*ckin waste!  That bank-to-wall at Westpark ain't no joke though! That thing separates the men from the boys!
[close]
I should’ve pointed out that i lived there in the early 2000’s. I’m thinking of the wooden/metal park if my terrible memory serves me right. It was right around the time the SB park was built. Spent a lot of time there but still not the greatest.

Is skate street still around?
That place was fun but i did blow up my ankle on the mini. Totally my fault, one or two(or 5) too many beers before the sesh. A plate and a few screws later i still have fond memories.

Nope, skate street is gone.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2023, 01:03:47 PM by modern life is war »
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

Doosh215

• Rep: 61
« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2022, 08:38:44 PM »
Castle Point skatepark in Hoboken is a massive piece of shit eyesore, especially considering how much money the city has poured into making the waterfront area nice. But I will say the little mini ramp is a lot of fun, so that thing is worth skating. The rest of it is god awful though.

Lashes2ashes

• Rep: 7
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2022, 03:24:31 AM »

no clue how to post images, but by far I have skated the worst park ever made, google Sutherlin Oregon skate park, it’s a metal quarter, a metal box, and a metal bank on the other side, the ground is so bad I hard to use cruiser wheels to even push, I’m not joking. It’s crazy because less than 20 miles away you have perfect dreamland parks like my local in Winston Oregon.

djoekr

• Rep: 324
« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2022, 05:16:17 AM »

I'd kill for most of the stuff posted in this thread tbh. Disclosed already posted some Dutch trash-parks but this is my local. There's also a halfpipe with rotten wood and messed up coping that's not pictured here. Ground is doable but certainly not good and it's always covered in broken glass. Last times I went there to forcibly practice transition I got both glass and dog shit on my hands. Needless to say that every local skater sucks ass at transition round here.
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

DanCorteseFromMTVSports

• Rep: 294
« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2022, 05:16:47 AM »
Shout out to the one public skatepark in Binghamton NY. Complete with eight stair straight to box, extremely steep ramps to hubbas, and the only straight ledge being a curved one on the pool edge. Upstate at its best.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2022, 05:33:33 AM »
Shout out to the one public skatepark in Binghamton NY. Complete with eight stair straight to box, extremely steep ramps to hubbas, and the only straight ledge being a curved one on the pool edge. Upstate at its best.

i thought this thing was fucken sick when i was passing through. everything is hella steep tho.

also bing is like 20 minutes from the state line, idk if you could call it upstate

DanCorteseFromMTVSports

« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2022, 06:06:08 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

i thought this thing was fucken sick when i was passing through. everything is hella steep tho.

also bing is like 20 minutes from the state line, idk if you could call it upstate
I think it's the combo of everything being extremely steep with little run up, lack of flat ground, and things like the rail going to the top of a box that gets me. That said, I am primarily a ledges/low impact person (I beeline for the state office building benches downtown when i'm in town) so it might be a different taste kinda thing.

Rule of thumb:  Everything outside of the city and surrounding areas is upstate. (To prove my bona fides, there's currently a spiedie sandwich in my lunch bag right now.)

Omars_Dad

• Rep: 61
« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2022, 06:40:38 AM »
Grew up in Roanoke, Virginia and this is all we had;

It's all wooden and basically built for BMXers. There has been an effort to get it rebuilt and hopefully it works out.

Shoutout Greenhouse boardshop - the local shop left for Blacksburg which has a servicable park:

LOL yes!!! I was getting ready to look for photos of Wasena to post. Josh Kalis and Stevie Williams came through the greenhouse in the early 2000's for an autograph signing and small demo. Two of the best plaza skaters ever being plopped down in this weird ass mid 90's xgames style park...you could sorta tell they were like wtf am i supposed to do here? they were cool though and friendly with all the kids and did the best they could at that shitty ass park haha

cky enthusiast

« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2022, 06:47:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
I think it's the combo of everything being extremely steep with little run up, lack of flat ground, and things like the rail going to the top of a box that gets me. That said, I am primarily a ledges/low impact person (I beeline for the state office building benches downtown when i'm in town) so it might be a different taste kinda thing.

Rule of thumb:  Everything outside of the city and surrounding areas is upstate. (To prove my bona fides, there's currently a spiedie sandwich in my lunch bag right now.)

my wife is from rochester and she would vehemently disagree. i lived in BK for 3 years so i’m familiar with the nyc interpretation of “upstate “ but got set straight.

i skate whatever and i had fun whippin around the bowl corners and trying to staple the whole place together. the bank to parking block is cool too, more places should have 1

kook1234

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #55 on: December 01, 2022, 06:52:20 AM »
your wife is wrong, bud

shitdick22

• Rep: 1
« Reply #56 on: December 01, 2022, 06:55:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Yeah gotta say Sayreville was the shit. Was always a special trip when me and my friends went out there, also the first time I ever checked out NJ skateshop.

NJ really does have a lot of trash though. Anyone ever skate Livingston, or even worse Byram? Byram might actually be the worst park I’ve ever skated.

Former Livingston skatepark local coming in To mention lake hiawatha skatepark as well. Me might not have had transition to skate but at least we had smooth flatground (even if there wasn’t much of it). Livingston is a weird park for sure tho. Steep bank feature is actually a replica of a pretty well known and skated spot down the street in attempt to deter us from skating there. Also want to mention Baltimores Carroll Park might be my favorite shitty skatepark out there.

DanCorteseFromMTVSports

« Reply #57 on: December 01, 2022, 07:03:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

my wife is from rochester and she would vehemently disagree. i lived in BK for 3 years so i’m familiar with the nyc interpretation of “upstate “ but got set straight.

i skate whatever and i had fun whippin around the bowl corners and trying to staple the whole place together. the bank to parking block is cool too, more places should have 1
That's funny. I went to SUNY Geneseo and luckily never got any guff from my Rochester friends about my upstate definition.

I didn't get a chance to skate the bank to parking block. The last time i was there the parking block was up on a pair of concrete blocks so you skated it like a flat bar. But to your point, I wish more places had something like that.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2022, 08:44:16 AM »
shout out SUNY, incubator of champions (my wife went to SUNY bing)

your wife is wrong, bud

thanks for your input, kook 1 2 3 4. what does your wife think?

kook1234

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #59 on: December 01, 2022, 08:54:34 AM »
shout out SUNY, incubator of champions (my wife went to SUNY bing)

Expand Quote
your wife is wrong, bud
[close]

thanks for your input, kook 1 2 3 4. what does your wife think?

that anything out of the city is upstate, NJ is americas ass hole, and Schenectady is a cool name