Author Topic: The Worst Skateparks You’ve Skated  (Read 3696 times)

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1093
The Worst Skateparks You’ve Skated
« on: November 27, 2022, 10:32:51 PM »
Judging by the photos some of you have great skate parks nearby. For a state as populated as NJ we have some of the shittiest skateparks you could imagine. This thread will pay tribute to the shittiest of the shit.

Behold the now defunct Somerville NJ skatepark:

This park is the ugliest skatepark I ever saw. Not only is the ground an old tennis court surface but the ramps were topped with Masonite in a state with four seasons. The paint scheme reminds me of The Peoples Republic of China. And the wall ride is just laughable and takes up the entire far end of the park. The first time I heard that Somerville had a park I was stoked but when I arrived I just had to laugh. I did not become a local.

Please share your abominations…

Steely Daniel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 465
Re: The Worst Skateparks You’ve Skated
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2022, 11:07:08 PM »
There are some pretty heinous skateparks around BC. A lot of good ones too but the earlier generation parks have some of the worst designs and obstacles.

My local is pretty rough but it at least has a nice ledge, fixed round bar (not the one in the asphalt) and enough room to throw in random DIY obstacles.  Locals have been trying to get something going for an upgrade or new park for the last 10 years at least but I think the idiots kept pocketing the money from all the fundraisers. Not sure we even deserve anything better judging by the way most people treat the park. I'm always sweeping up broken glass and picking up trash cause there are many small children who come there daily still. Can't find any good pictures so I'll repost the corny drone video (definitely mute the audio) someone made for a contest that we ironically lost to this park in Oliver BC on the mainland.

Now Oliver park has been upgraded as far as I can tell but when I skated there in the mid 2000s it was definitely the worst park I had ever skated. The mini ramp is like a crooked bank with angle iron coping I believe. Everything else is totally fucked. They definitely needed an upgrade more than we did. Newline added some transition stuff to it but I can't find any recent pictures. This is what it was like when I skated there. Just a total fucking write-off.

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -273
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2022, 11:49:36 PM »
These sort of threads make me feel two ways somehow, I acknowledge that they are poorly designed etc, but I can mind skate that them and make them fun somehow ever time.

The other feeling is grateful as one of my local parks is amazing.

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2022, 01:03:01 AM »

Mollala Oregon, is so bad its almost good. Most fucked up transitions I have ever tried to skate. Was pretty stoked to get this scratcher.

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 465
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2022, 01:18:06 AM »

Mollala Oregon, is so bad its almost good. Most fucked up transitions I have ever tried to skate. Was pretty stoked to get this scratcher.

Fuck yeah man that's awesome. I was just rewatching this exact video like 10 minutes ago due to this thread and was going to just post the 4 or so vids from this series but decided not to since I have been posting too much about the same stuff lately and don't want to annoy people. When I got back into skating this year I knew I needed to buy myself a new deck and I liked the shape and size of this purple David Gravette Creature board. Having been out of the game so long I didn't even know who he was and looked him up after the fact. Fried PNW dude with dislocation issues and loves skating shit parks? Felt like I found my brother from another mother since I can relate to all that stuff so hard.

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -199
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2022, 01:42:40 AM »

The local, I still can't believe that garbage pile got a red bull spotlight

Perforated Opinions

• Rep: -198
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2022, 01:52:24 AM »
Is it built out of red bull can materials ^

Perforated Opinions

• Rep: -198
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2022, 02:08:07 AM »
 Yo hyrulianleader I think your profile gif is an AI. Generated art of wade desarmo doing a hard flip from his “how to hard flip” transworld video way back when.

At 0.50 seconds don’t know how to time stamp.

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -199
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2022, 03:16:22 AM »

Essentially, so slick

Yo hyrulianleader I think your profile gif is an AI. Generated art of wade desarmo doing a hard flip from his “how to hard flip” transworld video way back when.

Looks like it. Wow good eye

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 812
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2022, 04:53:48 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Essentially, so slick

Expand Quote

[close]

Looks like it. Wow good eye

wade moves his back arm differently than that gif

thebacker

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2022, 05:22:52 AM »
Judging by the photos some of you have great skate parks nearby. For a state as populated as NJ we have some of the shittiest skateparks you could imagine. This thread will pay tribute to the shittiest of the shit.

Behold the now defunct Somerville NJ skatepark:

This park is the ugliest skatepark I ever saw. Not only is the ground an old tennis court surface but the ramps were topped with Masonite in a state with four seasons. The paint scheme reminds me of The Peoples Republic of China. And the wall ride is just laughable and takes up the entire far end of the park. The first time I heard that Somerville had a park I was stoked but when I arrived I just had to laugh. I did not become a local.

Please share your abominations…

maple shade skatepark and the new freedom skatepark are abominations

freedom is especially heinous because they built 1/4 of it and then the rest is black top...

disclosed

• Rep: 188
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2022, 05:32:09 AM »
man this is hard. ive been to a lot of bad skateparks. some have horrible layouts, some just have unridable ground or bad maitenence and some are confusing to even know what the people who build it where thinking.

my local is absolute shit. but mainly cause of the ground. it's already a bad metal prefab but the ground has made it actually unskateable. it has been abandoned for like 10 years now.
that said Katwijk Skatepark has to be the worst ground i've personally seen at a skatepark. from the same perfab builders, just 10x bigger than my local. but the ground had turned to actual gravel and can pretty much only be used by bmx riders now. it is saved by having one of the best miniramps of the country tho.
no point showing any picture cause the problem lies in the ground, wich you cant really see
there was also a skatepark in Wateringen where the ground was made of big concrete tiles. but there were laid so uneven that there would be up to 5cm (2") hight difrences between some. good luck rolling over that.

the old Naaldwijk skatepark i used to go to school nearby was quite sad too. it was a fiberglass prefab, one bank really steep making it hard to skate. the low quarterpipe had the roll on plate missing and the surface was hanging loose. the big quarterpipe was partly burned and molten and had the coping missing only the mellow bank was decent. it was really anoying you would get these splinters when you fell on it.
but, the locals scene in that park was very active, building their own ramps to put there and trying to fix stuff. the missing coping rod replace by one of those wooden curtain rods. and the ground was concrete instead of blacktop, wich is was the only prefab park ive seen that had that. maybe its nostalgia, but i cant call it the worst. theres no good footage of it tho.

funny is that my hometown had the exact same prefab in the 90s but it got burned down completely. the Naaldwijk one lasted about 12~14 years longer.

all of these are just bad cause of lack of maintanance. and so theres 1000ths of others in my country that are leftovers of  the 90's and ealry 00's prefab era.

after a lot of thinking, i remembered i once went to a skatepark that was actually unskateable for me. it was just a miniramp. chest hight,  but it went completely vert. there is sadly no photos to be found it used to be on streetview but the pics got updated this year. as i doubt it has ever even been used by anyone. especially considering the same town had another park with a miniramp dat was normal.
so yeah, the old Maasland miniramp gotta win this one for me.

i do know of another park where i havn't been, so it doesn't count, but its worth a mention. just 2 prefab quarters put against eachother with no flat bottom and one quarter on the the other side going into the gras. found it on google maps when i was searching for a place to skate on a familiy reunion but i decided it wasnt worth bringing my board there. also dont know if its still exists. but this place is so in the middle of nowhere it wont surprise me they wont even spend money on removing it.

Kavel K the bowl is ok. but too mellow to pump properly. butthe street section is just too tiny. its like they designed it and then scaled it down to fit the space they had.

i think newer parks that are build badly make me sadder than the old ones. same goes for Vlaardingen and Maassluis skateparks. theyre both designed badly and build badly, making them a waste of money.

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2022, 07:15:20 AM »
i think newer parks that are build badly make me sadder than the old ones. same goes for Vlaardingen and Maassluis skateparks. theyre both designed badly and build badly, making them a waste of money.

Fully agree. Skating has gotten too big to still let companies that obviously don't know anything about skating build new parks. I can give the city officials who greenlit some of the atrocities my city got in the 90s a pass though. I even have some weird sort of nostalgia for those old euro prefab parks with comically bad layouts where even the individual obstacles themselves are damn near unskateable. Some of my favorites:

- This weird thing resembling a hip, but with quarters and a bank, preferably set up in a way that you can't get enough speed to skate it either way.

- The curb/ledge set up in a way that you can't roll up to it properly.

- The "too big for a mini, to small for a vert" ramp that no one can skate and just takes up space. Bonus points if it's a standalone so the space is completely wasted.

- Quarters with bad noping, but then random coping on other obstacles that don't need any.

- Individual quarters set up too far from each other to skate them like a mini, but also too close to comfortably get a push in between them.

- Obstacles that are placed right in front of a big crack, rendering them unskateable. Especially if they only needed to be set up slightly differently to make them fun.

Growing up there where mostly these kinds of parks, which I'm kinda thankful for because I simply skated street and didn't much bother going to parks. Getting back into skating this year, I feel like most kids rarely skate street but instead hang out at the new parks all the time. I think it's cool that they have better parks now, but the jaded oldhead in me longs for different times.

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1390
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2022, 07:20:37 AM »
Ronald Reagan skatepark in Temecula is an absolute dump

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -531
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2022, 07:23:25 AM »

It’a funny because it actually comes across how hard that is in the photo.  Most times those small terrible transitions look easy when you take a pic, but that looks hard and sick

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2022, 07:27:46 AM »

Nomen est omen.

Antizero

• Rep: 0
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2022, 07:33:32 AM »
Almost every skatepark in Arkansas.

Dooky-shoes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -306
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2022, 07:51:10 AM »
Ventura had, maybe still has a pretty bad one but leucadia park or the ashtray is terribly laid out. Its on one of those worst skatepark vids with brezinski.
Kenny hoyle(very underrated) managed to find a way to get some tricks.
I’d say you guys got me beat though

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -619
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2022, 08:07:36 AM »
Ventura had, maybe still has a pretty bad one but leucadia park or the ashtray is terribly laid out. Its on one of those worst skatepark vids with brezinski.

Ventura has not one but three really bad parks, probably the worst i have skated in the usa. The famous one is West park which has a bank to wall that has been in a bunch of videos. Anything done on that bank to wall is twice as gnarly in person.

What's crazy is Ventura has such a big skate scene that it can support three independent skateshops and a zumiez yet the local city won't build a skatepark worth going to. A lot of condos going up though.
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 206
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2022, 08:44:26 AM »
Tierrasanta in SD. Every part of it is bad.

BallparkFrank

• Rep: 11
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2022, 04:17:09 PM »
Aztec, NM! Rebar for coping.

aiden

« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2022, 04:19:02 PM »
mcelvey road skatepark in florida, its in panama city
i dont know a lot about it but i wont shit on it because i think it was rebuilt by locals a couple years ago which is cool
the only other people there when i went were two fat kids smoking weed under the miniramp which was lame
the miniramp was actually really fun, the rest of the park wasnt, and i dipped after about 45 minutes

rosemaryBB

• Rep: 36
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2022, 05:28:32 PM »
Since we’re talking Nj parks, who here remembers the old Hackettstown indoor park? Long gone now, and not necessarily “bad” but kind of a motley, thrown together assemblage of deteriorating sheet metal. Was pretty fucked up for most of it’s last 5 years but I still have a soft spot for it.

Crusty Grundle

« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2022, 05:36:43 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Ventura has not one but three really bad parks, probably the worst i have skated in the usa. The famous one is West park which has a bank to wall that has been in a bunch of videos. Anything done on that bank to wall is twice as gnarly in person.

What's crazy is Ventura has such a big skate scene that it can support three independent skateshops and a zumiez yet the local city won't build a skatepark worth going to. A lot of condos going up though.

The Ventura parks are the worst... I lived there back when those were built. I was so stoked to hear the parks were being built and so disappointed when they finally opened. What a f*ckin waste!  That bank-to-wall at Westpark ain't no joke though! That thing separates the men from the boys!

theoriginalgoon

• Rep: -69
  • eight equals d
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2022, 05:42:55 PM »
For me it’s gotta be a tie between these two..

bonus braille video of the second park..

edit : bonus x2 - found a video of the first park. its the first park they skate in mineola

Me: I found skate Jesus.

Slap: Yeah, well maybe if he does the crucifix switch I will believe it.

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 551
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2022, 05:48:08 PM »
Worst one around here. It’s fun but only like 25’x40’.

Just a heads up, the city stole the money because a bunch of derps wouldn’t go for that $.01 a year tax increase and the city went bankrupt. MERICA!
It’s pretty sad when my patio is bigger that their local.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1093
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2022, 06:14:08 PM »
Since we’re talking Nj parks, who here remembers the old Hackettstown indoor park? Long gone now, and not necessarily “bad” but kind of a motley, thrown together assemblage of deteriorating sheet metal. Was pretty fucked up for most of it’s last 5 years but I still have a soft spot for it.

Fun fact: Most of those ramps were purchased from Shred For Life at the Edison Expo center.

I loved the ‘battleship’ is what we called it. The big slant wedge on the back wall.

I skated there from 96’-98’. Saw so many great skaters there. Pretty much who’s of east coast skaters.

The more they added after 98ish the worse it got. Shield’s was pretty much the next phase for indoor parks in the area.

mendo

• Rep: 18
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2022, 06:18:14 PM »
chafers in wellington nz back in the day probably.

Lester Bullocks

• Rep: 18
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2022, 06:26:00 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Nomen est omen.
Ha ha, it's beyond perverse that there's actually a skatepark named that.  The prefab park in Golden Colorado from the early 90's was terrible, for modern parks Paine's in Philly is a horrible waste of resources.

Ankle_Lift

• Rep: 81
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2022, 06:41:51 PM »
There are some pretty heinous skateparks around BC. A lot of good ones too but the earlier generation parks have some of the worst designs and obstacles.

My local is pretty rough but it at least has a nice ledge, fixed round bar (not the one in the asphalt) and enough room to throw in random DIY obstacles.  Locals have been trying to get something going for an upgrade or new park for the last 10 years at least but I think the idiots kept pocketing the money from all the fundraisers. Not sure we even deserve anything better judging by the way most people treat the park. I'm always sweeping up broken glass and picking up trash cause there are many small children who come there daily still. Can't find any good pictures so I'll repost the corny drone video (definitely mute the audio) someone made for a contest that we ironically lost to this park in Oliver BC on the mainland.

Now Oliver park has been upgraded as far as I can tell but when I skated there in the mid 2000s it was definitely the worst park I had ever skated. The mini ramp is like a crooked bank with angle iron coping I believe. Everything else is totally fucked. They definitely needed an upgrade more than we did. Newline added some transition stuff to it but I can't find any recent pictures. This is what it was like when I skated there. Just a total fucking write-off.

BC does have some shit parks.
Endery skatepark is terrible. Vernon's skatepark is dog shit. The skatepark is Sechelt on the Sunshine coast  is literally unskateable. Its like massive ramps meant for old 80s soft wheels and BMXs. I think it was actually build in the 80s, but whole knows.