Author Topic: Is Nyjah permanently banned from SOTY by Phelper?  (Read 4638 times)

Newphone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -535
Is Nyjah permanently banned from SOTY by Phelper?
« on: December 10, 2022, 07:55:28 PM »
Just wondering if there is an unwritten Phelper rule that the current mag staff won’t break in regards to nyjah.  If so, has anyone else possibly been banned for life from soty possibly?

From NY times article on Phelps death…

“You score 40 points a game in basketball, it doesn’t matter if you’re a kook,” Mr. Vitello said, using an epithet skaters wield against those who fail to grasp the unspoken rules of the subculture. But in skateboarding, he added, “it doesn’t matter how good you are if you’re a kook.

Separating the kooks from the rest was Mr. Phelps’s calling. He was known for his encyclopedic knowledge of skateboarding and his cutting wit, and he exerted his will over the industry well beyond the years when most people put the board down.
His influence was most clearly expressed through Thrasher’s Skater of the Year, the only award of its kind taken at all seriously within skateboarding. The magazine is cagey about its process for picking the recipient, but most skateboarders believe Mr. Phelps was ultimately in charge of the decision — a persistent rumor that he never disputed.”

cky enthusiast

Re: Is Nyjah permanently banned from SOTY by Phelper?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2022, 07:43:10 AM »
who gives a fuck, he’s dead

coldbrew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 407
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2022, 07:44:27 AM »

Mike Oxwelling

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2022, 07:46:57 AM »
Maybe its more of a concern of prior allegations and what attention that might bring to certain entities that don't want to deal with the financial impacts of that entering into media cycles.

Maybe.

Or Supreme has more money than Monster.

sizzle_chest

• Rep: -12
  • Kookin' Ain't Easy
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2022, 07:48:11 AM »
Thrasher has terrible kookdar, based on past SOTY's

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 465
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2022, 07:48:59 AM »
Choppy Omega

Cuban_Lynx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1450
  • I got the internet goin' nuts
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2022, 08:00:03 AM »
Maybe its more of a concern of prior allegations and what attention that might bring to certain entities that don't want to deal with the financial impacts of that entering into media cycles.

Maybe.

Nike is valued at $171.19B, I doubt that has anything to do with it.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 880
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2022, 08:27:55 AM »
Phelps was 50% responsible for the skateboarding a not for girls thing. If anything he owes

Southernmost

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2022, 08:30:01 AM »
Expand Quote

Maybe.

[close]
Nike is valued at $171.19B, I doubt that has anything to do with it.

Nike overall value but that includes NBA, Lebron, Soccer, Baseball etc. I’m sure SB still has a pretty big valuation. Supreme even though it’s corporate and collabs with everything still has “core” street skaters on their team no contest skaters. They’ve had a longer relationship with Thrasher as well. But yea Tyshawn deserved SOTY can everyone just get over Nyjah losing. Who cares that much. That doesn’t mean he didn’t drop an insane part. He wins contests not SOTY’s.

Mangust

• Rep: -4
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2022, 08:46:57 AM »
If Nyjah was on the kook radar he would not have been a contender at all.

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 332
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2022, 09:02:23 AM »
Can someone explain the Supreme bought a SOTY logic to me beyond there being a lot of ads in Thrasher?

While I imagine Supreme’s profit margins are amazing due to their relatively low employee count and operation costs. There’s no way that it has the disposable income that any of the corporate sponsors have.

With that logic, how are we sure that AVE and Kyle Walker SOTY’s weren’t bought by Vans (same parent company as Supreme) or that Red Bull didn’t put money behind Jamie Foy? You don’t think Nike would pay money to have Nyjah win it? He’s the face of their brand. Kind of a slippery slope to go on for such a baseless claims.

Edit: Also why do people continue to try to get scientific over SOTY qualifications when there’s plenty of examples of them just picking dudes they fuck with. There’s even examples of dudes knowing they got it in the middle of the year like BA (to be fair that was before YouTube though)

« Last Edit: December 11, 2022, 09:11:22 AM by Lenny the Fatface »

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 208
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2022, 10:21:09 AM »
Hot take- Phelps was a kook

fried

• Rep: 52
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2022, 10:39:10 AM »

Edit: Also why do people continue to try to get scientific over SOTY qualifications when there’s plenty of examples of them just picking dudes they fuck with. There’s even examples of dudes knowing they got it in the middle of the year like BA (to be fair that was before YouTube though)

People keep forgetting this. This isn’t a competition, you can’t try to win. It’s an award, and it’s given to whoever thrasher was feeling that year. Its not who put out the most content, which sadly is what it’s turned into for the skaters.

I hope in the future thrasher can pick more random winners as Phelps did in the past.

Go ahead film 6 video parts, it doesn’t matter kid

Banned from the room

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2022, 10:42:09 AM »
"No new balance."
"No under armour."
"No trump brands "

Jake believed that Mark was the greatest skater. He said it to multiple people.

Mark is supreme so there no doubt in my mind that Jake liked that shit.

That's all I know 100

Don't worry about it's just the industry. All that really really matters is our experiences on the board.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2022, 11:13:36 AM by Uncle Flea »

wahwahwah

• Rep: -2
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2022, 10:49:22 AM »
who gives a fuck anyways SOTY is just and award and who wins it doesnt really matter in my opinion its just a cool thing

Sipe nousee sisään,
Niin nousee herkkokin.

larry sanders

• Rep: -3
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2022, 10:53:41 AM »
you’re looking at the Supreme tie-in from the wrong direction. It’s not that Supreme has more money / paid for SOTY it’s that it is better marketing for Thrasher as a brand to be associated with Supreme/Tyshawn/King.

compare that to Jah, the audience there is Zumiez kids who are going to buy merch with the Thrasher logo anyway.

The closer they appear w/ the TJ camp buys them some credibility with “core” skaters and that in turn gets them the Zumiez kids, win-win.

core in quotes because the real heads wanted LL, but that wasn’t going to help Thrasher sell product.

gnidraobetaks

• Rep: 24
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2022, 11:04:20 AM »
Stop blowing your load on all this soty stuff.

bohemian

• Rep: -345
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2022, 11:04:37 AM »

not even hot. when a dude in his position and power claims what is and even worse, who, is cool, its fucked up. dude was a living encyclopedia in skateboarding, and had some interresting thoughts, but mainly he was just a hateful pompous old powertripper.

Punished Skateboards

• Rep: 61
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2022, 11:11:04 AM »

Expand Quote
also phelps was a fiend who delivered door dash via MUNI bus until he finally hit a bag that was too hot, stop romanticizing him dork
[close]
this.
phelps is also the genius that thought what Van Wastell needed while he was in full blown heroin addiction was to take his stash and lock him in a hotel room. the fact everyone just accepted "he mysteriously just fell out the window, man." story and kept it moving is fucking crazy. especially bc he was a fiend himself and absolutely used whatever amount of dope he took from Van. dude was the worst.

ill let yall get back to whatever the hell this thread turned into.

free max b

JoseCansnake0

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: -30
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2022, 11:20:43 AM »

Crabby_Bastard

• Rep: 55
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2022, 11:32:14 AM »
It has been mentioned in interviews and discussed in articles in Thrasher over the years that SOTY is about not only who  ripped, but also held it down for Thrasher all year.

Maybe this needs to be mentioned several times every year during the final push for everyone who doesn't already know this.

I could be wrong, but I think many people who complain about the SOTY picks have not read very many Thrasher magazines or simply forgot what they read.

How much for an order of ribs?

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -535
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2022, 11:49:24 AM »
I understand that it is subjective, I’m more wondering if there’s an understanding that Nyjah just can’t ever get soty.  I personally think it’s embarrassing seeing him still play ball with thrasher, they get what they need, interviews and parts, and he doesn’t get any real backing from the mag.

I do agree that picking tyshawn does the most monetarily for the mag out of the four options in terms of uncaputed fan base. 

Southernmost

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2022, 12:22:56 PM »
I agree he probably won’t win SOTY but it’s not like he’s blackballed from the mag. He gets covers, wears thrasher gear, good ad placement, interviews, went live on their twicth.

Mongo Lloyd

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2022, 12:32:32 PM »
Phelps was a kook, but a lot of his gatekeeping was good for the image of skateboarding. Atleast he felt like there was some things worth preserving.

I really don’t know why any of you care so deeply about SOTY, it’s just a title dubbed by a magazine. There really isn’t anything at stake, and it doesn’t suddenly erase the content, or diminish what the other contenders have accomplished.

Do you get deja vu, huh?

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 208
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2022, 12:48:33 PM »
Phelps was a kook, but a lot of his gatekeeping was good for the image of skateboarding. Atleast he felt like there was some things worth preserving.

I really don’t know why any of you care so deeply about SOTY, it’s just a title dubbed by a magazine. There really isn’t anything at stake, and it doesn’t suddenly erase the content, or diminish what the other contenders have accomplished.
I feel like the question you raised in your second paragraph was answered by your first paragraph

Mongo Lloyd

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2022, 01:00:37 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I feel like the question you raised in your second paragraph was answered by your first paragraph

Most likely, figure eight thoughts for this smooth brain mongoloid.
Do you get deja vu, huh?

Natas Fauxas

« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2022, 01:09:07 PM »

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 754
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2022, 01:22:20 PM »
I agree he probably won’t win SOTY but it’s not like he’s blackballed from the mag. He gets covers, wears thrasher gear, good ad placement, interviews, went live on their twicth.

He doesn't need to be blackballed, he's just not that great a skater. Incredible athlete yes, but skateboarder not so much.

fulltechnicalskizzy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1935
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2022, 01:36:56 PM »

Mongo Lloyd

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2022, 01:44:25 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

He doesn't need to be blackballed, he's just not that great a skater. Incredible athlete yes, but skateboarder not so much.

This is nearly exactly the same sentiment I shared with friends after watching his part.

I don’t feel like he’s part of the culture. He was my pick for SOTY (despite not being a fan of him personally), but I don’t get real vibes that he’s anything other than an athlete and somewhat of a product. A large part of that is likely his upbringing.
Do you get deja vu, huh?