Author Topic: Ben Degros vlog  (Read 47693 times)

Mean salto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
Re: Ben Degros vlog
« Reply #270 on: March 05, 2023, 07:32:20 AM »
Don't really see how wheel shape would affect flip tricks unless it was a pressure flip and even then the wheels are usually already off the ground before the board flips. But then I'm not a professor.

Rocker is kind of interesting but I still hate when a tail flexes no matter what

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #271 on: March 05, 2023, 07:56:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Feel like Ben (a literal carpenter) tried to interject a few logical thoughts about his setup and got shut down by the Nutty Professor rambling on with his pseudoscience nonsense a few times during this.  Was a little awkward to watch.    BBS please.
[close]

Agreed, ps never shuts up and whenever ben interjected he would always give some half ass wave off response before he kept talking.

I haven’t gone to any higher learning, which is obvious, when reading what I post.
My limited understanding of what a professor does is that they would teach, and then someone would hopefully learn information, on whatever the subject was.
PS does more a 3 card Monty(grind) routine imo. Just keeps the conversation swirling, and then instead of coming to a conclusion, adds a new piece and runs down that tangent for awhile.
I mentioned this once before, and it wasn’t clever then, but I do not have a better example: years ago I was a waiter, and I was just never that interested in wine. I am not a super taster. I enjoy food, but I am not obsessed with the flavors. Remembering different tasting notes, that I would be infrequently called upon to recite, on a rotating list (absolutely part of the job, just a part I sucked at) just wasn’t happening. I would strangely be able to remember some cute little factoids such as ‘the label was drawn by a small child for a contest’, that was clearly of zero use to someone asking about what the wine tasted like. So I’d just, embarrassingly, say a bunch of shit, cheerfully, and then wait for the person to make the decision they were going to make anyways. PS has a similar energy for me.
Tbf, somewhat like wine, there lots of board characteristics. Some like it steep, some want a less processed wine with sediment, notes of sulfur, flat concave. Dude is a fucking maniac tho. His best boards are fantastic, and probably my favorite. Lots of shit ones in there tho. And trying to learn something from this guy is wild. Partially my small brains, and partially his snake oil delivery, but I often feel more confused by his ‘information’.
I wish an alternative to ‘the professor’ would present themselves.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1929
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #272 on: March 05, 2023, 08:21:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Feel like Ben (a literal carpenter) tried to interject a few logical thoughts about his setup and got shut down by the Nutty Professor rambling on with his pseudoscience nonsense a few times during this.  Was a little awkward to watch.    BBS please.
[close]

Agreed, ps never shuts up and whenever ben interjected he would always give some half ass wave off response before he kept talking.
[close]

I haven’t gone to any higher learning, which is obvious, when reading what I post.
My limited understanding of what a professor does is that they would teach, and then someone would hopefully learn information, on whatever the subject was.
PS does more a 3 card Monty(grind) routine imo. Just keeps the conversation swirling, and then instead of coming to a conclusion, adds a new piece and runs down that tangent for awhile.
I mentioned this once before, and it wasn’t clever then, but I do not have a better example: years ago I was a waiter, and I was just never that interested in wine. I am not a super taster. I enjoy food, but I am not obsessed with the flavors. Remembering different tasting notes, that I would be infrequently called upon to recite, on a rotating list (absolutely part of the job, just a part I sucked at) just wasn’t happening. I would strangely be able to remember some cute little factoids such as ‘the label was drawn by a small child for a contest’, that was clearly of zero use to someone asking about what the wine tasted like. So I’d just, embarrassingly, say a bunch of shit, cheerfully, and then wait for the person to make the decision they were going to make anyways. PS has a similar energy for me.
Tbf, somewhat like wine, there lots of board characteristics. Some like it steep, some want a less processed wine with sediment, notes of sulfur, flat concave. Dude is a fucking maniac tho. His best boards are fantastic, and probably my favorite. Lots of shit ones in there tho. And trying to learn something from this guy is wild. Partially my small brains, and partially his snake oil delivery, but I often feel more confused by his ‘information’.

I've watched all of Ben's videos but I couldn't make it to the end of this one.

I'll cue it up for a flight I have tomorrow, see if I can make it to the end of Schmitt's ramblings.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1095
« Reply #273 on: March 05, 2023, 08:29:50 AM »
ps giving off mad neal degrasse tyson vibes

Lol perfect.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -297
« Reply #274 on: March 05, 2023, 08:31:06 AM »
Paul Schmidt sounds insufferable as hell. Not surprising for a self-proclaimed “professor”.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -761
« Reply #275 on: March 05, 2023, 01:06:01 PM »
I really liked it
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1026
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #276 on: March 05, 2023, 08:11:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I've watched all of Ben's videos but I couldn't make it to the end of this one.

I'll cue it up for a flight I have tomorrow, see if I can make it to the end of Schmitt's ramblings.

Ha yeah, 36 minutes of something I don't really want to watch...

We will see.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 497
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #277 on: March 05, 2023, 08:25:29 PM »
Some good moments in this one when it was flowing, but any time PS ain't talkin he's just waiting to talk again.  Also, not taking Ben into consideration, being a top level carpenter / tradie and complete skateboard dork, but talking to him like he could be anyone.  Could have been great if there was some kind of real collaboration in the convo, but Pauls a teller.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #278 on: March 05, 2023, 08:30:03 PM »
Also thinking about how funny it was Ben just said how specific he is with doing up his hardware then prof just tears his board apart and cranks it with the power tools. I guess his truck was on crooked tho

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 722
« Reply #279 on: March 05, 2023, 08:50:31 PM »
Also thinking about how funny it was Ben just said how specific he is with doing up his hardware then prof just tears his board apart and cranks it with the power tools. I guess his truck was on crooked tho

Haha yeah, I had the same thought.  Also I would lose my mind if someone just started shoving griptape under my trucks…

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #280 on: March 05, 2023, 09:37:00 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Haha yeah, I had the same thought.  Also I would lose my mind if someone just started shoving griptape under my trucks…

And by Ben's first video back in Vancouver he was off the Ventures.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #281 on: March 05, 2023, 11:47:46 PM »

People like Thunders
And won't ride Ventures forever
You can't trust people @backinaction
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Thebird

• Rep: 158
« Reply #282 on: March 06, 2023, 06:31:21 AM »
I feel like every video with PS is the same.  What I would love to see is for Ben to sit down with Mike Carroll and discuss all of the different shapes that Crail offers - how they came about, whose idea it was, what they were looking for, etc.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 677
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #283 on: March 06, 2023, 07:09:55 AM »
Expand Quote
If I was Ben, I would have asked about the advantages of making boards that are square as fuck with shoddy craftmanship. Schmidt can talk all the science he wants, the inconsistency of PS Stix manufacturing nowadays is nothing to be proud of
[close]

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It's kind of insane that Paul clearly knows what he's talking about, but the quality of PS decks tell a different story.

Also saying that epoxy is inferior to wood glue because it's harder so it breaks easier was worded so weirdly and something I don't fully agree with (although someone with more woodworking experience can chime in). I understand that he means that wood glue will let the deck flex during impact while epoxy won't, but I've had way better experiences on NHS decks (uses epoxy) than PS Stix decks in terms of durability.

Also respirator being worn incorrectly at 24:45

OSHA's going to have a heart attack when they see this video :v

A LOT of brands have switched to BBS in the past few years. PS Stix is down to 50 board minimums. Seems like he is on damage control getting ben to hype up his wood shop. I am not sure if I am missing some details but it seems like some companies are still using both BBS and PS Stix though.

I feel like anyone who actually knows about the woodshops would always choose BBS over PS Stix. I understand the benefits of riding epoxy dwindle boards, and I also seem to see a following of people who seem to really like Crail boards for some reason. I don't think there is an army of people that are only wanting to ride PS Stix boards, I am guessing that the companies that are using both shops probably are just using PS to fill some extra orders that BBS couldnt fulfill or something.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #284 on: March 06, 2023, 08:42:34 AM »
lol have to appreciate that they are just shootin the shit and its not super serious
ben talking about he doesnt care about the weight of the lower nuts and then schmitt says "but you weigh your trucks when youre done with them"  ;D

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1095
« Reply #285 on: March 06, 2023, 09:10:05 AM »
lol have to appreciate that they are just shootin the shit and its not super serious
ben talking about he doesnt care about the weight of the lower nuts and then schmitt says "but you weigh your trucks when youre done with them"  ;D

I thought this was dumb because Ben had already said he weighed them because he was curious how much metal he had grinded away and how his weight was distributed.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 438
« Reply #286 on: March 06, 2023, 09:17:00 AM »
What are the chances Ben immediately took off that grip tape from under his trucks?

Personally, I don't care who it is. I wouldn't let someone do something like that to my setup. I also had it on in the background and thought Paul was stripping his hardware nuts
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1156
  • old and in the way
« Reply #287 on: March 06, 2023, 02:02:59 PM »
What are the chances Ben immediately took off that grip tape from under his trucks?

Personally, I don't care who it is. I wouldn't let someone do something like that to my setup. I also had it on in the background and thought Paul was stripping his hardware nuts

this was the first thing I thought of too

OhioGuy

• Rep: 65
« Reply #288 on: March 06, 2023, 04:49:25 PM »
Ben definitely took that shit off. Dude is the most fussy skater on YouTube, and PS thinks all the madness stuff is bullshit (you can tell by the way he dismisses most concerns). So this was a bad pairing. Sure, he can make some great decks, but I wouldn’t let him touch my setup and I’m not half the skater Ben is 😅

Skatebrain

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rep: 14
« Reply #289 on: March 06, 2023, 05:13:46 PM »
Be interesting if Ben does a board brand.  I think he wanted to not long ago.  With lowering minimums I think ps will push clutch numbers lower.  I know of two newer Midwest brands that are going that route. 

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #290 on: March 06, 2023, 06:02:11 PM »
Be interesting if Ben does a board brand.  I think he wanted to not long ago.  With lowering minimums I think ps will push clutch numbers lower.  I know of two newer Midwest brands that are going that route.

Nah, the last thing the industry needs is another deck company when shops and manufacturers are stacked to the rafters with inventory. Even less so if he want to do BBS blanks like the last time around.

I'd like to see Quantum Bearings give him a signature series.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Candied cigarettes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 236
« Reply #291 on: March 06, 2023, 06:27:19 PM »
Seeing ben get all stoked out on istanbul is sick.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 337
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #292 on: March 10, 2023, 05:48:43 AM »
Just checked his recent clips. International Ben is awesome.

switchfakie

« Reply #293 on: March 10, 2023, 05:59:48 AM »
Expand Quote
If I was Ben, I would have asked about the advantages of making boards that are square as fuck with shoddy craftmanship. Schmidt can talk all the science he wants, the inconsistency of PS Stix manufacturing nowadays is nothing to be proud of
[close]

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It's kind of insane that Paul clearly knows what he's talking about, but the quality of PS decks tell a different story.

Also saying that epoxy is inferior to wood glue because it's harder so it breaks easier was worded so weirdly and something I don't fully agree with (although someone with more woodworking experience can chime in). I understand that he means that wood glue will let the deck flex during impact while epoxy won't, but I've had way better experiences on NHS decks (uses epoxy) than PS Stix decks in terms of durability.

Also respirator being worn incorrectly at 24:45

OSHA's going to have a heart attack when they see this video :v

exactly how i feel

i remember skating my first Quasi PS stix after knowing about schmitt for a long time from all the 9 club interviews & being severely disappointed the board quality just felt shit & spongey the first time i skated it

BBS for life now

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #294 on: March 24, 2023, 10:57:12 AM »
check out ben's homey adriano's page

lol i am dying laughing at this setup, its actually really amazing. i love the noseslide "baseplate protector" and started bursting out laughing at work when he said "plus its plastic so it just freaking goes"

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #295 on: March 24, 2023, 11:02:55 AM »

lol i am dying laughing at this setup, its actually really amazing. i love the noseslide "baseplate protector" and started bursting out laughing at work when he said "plus its plastic so it just freaking goes"

All dat turnin radius of yurs

hotstudios_on_youtube

• Rep: -65
  • ???
« Reply #296 on: March 24, 2023, 11:24:28 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Nah, the last thing the industry needs is another deck company when shops and manufacturers are stacked to the rafters with inventory. Even less so if he want to do BBS blanks like the last time around.

I'd like to see Quantum Bearings give him a signature series.

he did have some iteration of a board company, not long ago, it was more of a "here is the precise shape of the board that I'm riding" project

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #297 on: March 24, 2023, 11:45:24 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

All dat turnin radius of yurs

hahahahaha

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
« Reply #298 on: March 24, 2023, 03:26:23 PM »
Keaton is actually the sickest dude.....

cant kickflip but can tre

• Rep: 9
« Reply #299 on: April 07, 2023, 04:59:01 PM »

Not a huge fan of the filming but man does he look good in fisheye