Author Topic: Ben Degros vlog  (Read 47797 times)

switchfakie

Re: Ben Degros vlog
« Reply #330 on: June 11, 2023, 06:24:15 AM »

i agree with him, i followed trent bc max palmer

my skating improved immensely the moment i went back to medium loose trucks

modern life is war

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -618
« Reply #331 on: June 11, 2023, 07:22:41 AM »
Yeah 100% agree. If your trucks are rattling that's just unnecessary looseness
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1394
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #332 on: June 11, 2023, 07:40:56 AM »
Rattly trucks feel soooo much more fun to bomb around on and everything you land feels like a banger. I am however landing more trix with bushings in place. Who would have thought  ???
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 968
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #333 on: June 11, 2023, 08:54:38 AM »
Loose trucks are the way for me. I tried tight back truck ism in 97 or 98 after a break. It really only helps tre flip pop. Also fakie Manny.
You only need the back truck tighter ism for that really. Once you lock it back in again I can go back to normal looseness

Having both trucks loose is better for my switch stuff for sure.
Otherwise I'd just be skating my tail always

My favorite shit is the feeling one gets when their bolts are rattling. Bombing a hill with the back truck shimmy.

Oh yeah. I fucking love it. Ovals are the shit.

Fereal tho ....

The trend is kinda bad tho.
I miss being the only one with broken ass trucks.

I don't like being compared to Daewon either. Matt Rodriguez is a better come
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Shuh

• Rep: 3
« Reply #334 on: June 11, 2023, 09:07:17 AM »
He did a follow up short about the loose trucks to still say stop doing it, definitely his "old man yells at cloud" moment. I get it, but then again i dont really film myself skating and like how the loose board feels.

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 527
« Reply #335 on: June 11, 2023, 09:49:36 AM »
His screaming at a cloud video wasn’t even correct though. His trucks were tight. He moved his board and the trucks didn’t flop. That’s not loose.
And yeah I agree with you @Uncle Flea Matt is a way better comparison, or you could go back a few years and say Winsor. To the best of my knowledge, he was the one who started the Sacto flop. Still runs them like that too.
Okay, I’m done screaming at the screaming at a cloud video.

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #336 on: June 11, 2023, 11:13:23 AM »
That was dumb. He‘s just not used to it so he has problems doing it. There are also riser pads and other little tricks to prevent wheel bite, by the way.

It all comes down to what you are accustomed to. I can‘t even skate around on some of my friends boards who have super tight trucks. If I made a video about tight trucks ruining your tricks it would look very similar. I can‘t 360 flip at all on a board with tight trucks and carving a bowl would be impossible for me too.

However my trucks are loose, but not super loose either. What‘s ironic too is that the poster boys of super loose trucks like Matt Rodriguez and Daewon skate models that won‘t turn, however loose they are.

disclosed

• Rep: 175
« Reply #337 on: June 11, 2023, 11:21:11 AM »
His screaming at a cloud video wasn’t even correct though. His trucks were tight. He moved his board and the trucks didn’t flop. That’s not loose.
And yeah I agree with you @Uncle Flea Matt is a way better comparison, or you could go back a few years and say Winsor. To the best of my knowledge, he was the one who started the Sacto flop. Still runs them like that too.
Okay, I’m done screaming at the screaming at a cloud video.

yeah he took the washers out and then still cranked the kingpin down..
i'd say i skate medium loose and his board here seems to react like mine does (without any altering). this definitly wasn't rattly loose.
the whole video makes no sense anyway. you cant just alter your truck tightness drasticly and expect to skate the same as you normally do. these are usually gradual changes. and that goes for either going looser or tighter.

kinda feel like some tight truckers have this same insecurity as helmet wearers where they feel like they have to defend themselves before anyone even says anything.

Thebird

• Rep: 158
« Reply #338 on: June 11, 2023, 09:11:22 PM »
Is he still riding the Venture lows?  Looks like it.

Democratic Republic Of Mongo

• Rep: 115
« Reply #339 on: June 11, 2023, 11:24:52 PM »
I skate vanilla missionary position medium trucks but I’m not stressin

Some skaters look like they could benefit from a slight tighten, if you will.

Gunot

• Rep: 10
« Reply #340 on: June 11, 2023, 11:47:07 PM »
Love how he calls lose trucks a trend, when it was a trend like 10 years ago  :D

PuleosTrashCollection

• Rep: 0
« Reply #341 on: June 12, 2023, 01:46:03 AM »
I'm glad there is someone out there making videos on the exhaustive specifics of skateboarding. His mini ramp construction series was very informative, and his trucks tier list and woodshop review collabs with gifted hater were awesome.
I expect a reputation of over 100 for all the time I spent to make a fire hydrant my avatar.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #342 on: June 12, 2023, 02:12:10 AM »
I skate flush but everybody stepping on my board thinks that’s super loose. Those are old guys tho, used to the tight trucks of the old days. Or Thunder enjoyers. Or both combined.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 526
« Reply #343 on: June 12, 2023, 05:57:41 AM »
I like a slight rattle in my front truck and a solid loose-medium in the back one. I shave down my ace bushings and remove all washers from the front truck and the top one from the back.

I tried tightening my front truck recently because i was worried i was fucking myself, and I did notice it was easier to get out of crooked grinds... everything else sucked. I was expecting flip tricks to feel awesome, but I am so used to doing little counter balances when i preload for shit that things felt off with the tighter front. I know you can grow accustomed to anything if you skate it long enough, but I've already spent years learning to skate loose.

The biggest thing was that i missed the feeling of being able to suddenly change direction or quickly correct direction. That is a feeling i have to have if im gonna enjoy skating fully, it just feels right.

I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

Kombuch-A-Holic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 127
« Reply #344 on: June 12, 2023, 07:45:30 AM »
I take that video as advise for beginners. It's hard to learn the basics getting wheel bite stationary.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1959
« Reply #345 on: June 12, 2023, 07:56:18 AM »
There are definitely people who treat loose trucks like a contest rather than a utility and I feel like that video is definitely aimed toward them. If you can't push in a straight line because your trucks are rattling out of control, then they're too loose for you.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 678
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #346 on: June 12, 2023, 08:10:31 AM »
I try to just leave it exactly the way it comes now. I did tighten the Aces just slightly, maybe 1 thread, but next time I get a new set I am just going to leave it. I experimented with different bushings and and realized I just like the stock ones for the most part.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1292
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #347 on: June 12, 2023, 09:39:49 AM »
I try to just leave it exactly the way it comes now. I did tighten the Aces just slightly, maybe 1 thread, but next time I get a new set I am just going to leave it. I experimented with different bushings and and realized I just like the stock ones for the most part.
I used to do this until I noticed that the factory tightness was random. One brand new truck had one thread showing and one was flush. After that, my third eye opened and I just make both flush until the bushings break in then adjust from there.

djoekr

• Rep: 298
« Reply #348 on: June 12, 2023, 10:34:14 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I used to do this until I noticed that the factory tightness was random. One brand new truck had one thread showing and one was flush. After that, my third eye opened and I just make both flush until the bushings break in then adjust from there.

This is the way to go, at least for me. I skate my Ace's flush and I'll do some very minor tightening as they start to get looser while skating them.
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 678
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #349 on: June 15, 2023, 08:05:32 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I noticed it wasnt exactly the same on my thunders, but it was close enough i didnt need to touch it.

I noticed also when I used the combination of OJ Wheels, Indys, + Bronson Bearings, it works absolutely perfect. you can tighten the nut all the way and it spins perfectly. I think though it wouldnt work if you were using a skinnier wheel? Or maybe it doesnt matter, its about the space in the middle .

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #350 on: June 15, 2023, 08:12:01 AM »
Ben is exactly right about spacers. Either the spacer is too large and it keeps the bearings from being seated properly inside the wheel, or the wheel is perfectly formed and the spacer is completely redundant. They are absolutely useless.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -58
« Reply #351 on: June 15, 2023, 08:24:15 AM »
As a former defender of spacers, I'll take the L. No more spacers for me. 
I've actually just recently been having issues where one of my bearings won't stay seated, probably because of the spacer.

swellbowed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
  • ow
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #352 on: June 15, 2023, 08:31:43 AM »

m477

• Rep: 7
« Reply #353 on: June 15, 2023, 11:01:30 PM »
Dang, can’t say I’ve ever tightened down my truck axle nut like that, spacers or not! Ive only seen that on Walmart and toys r us completes. They do it for safety to make the board a snail for kids.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2023, 11:09:02 PM by m477 »

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #354 on: June 16, 2023, 04:18:34 AM »
Dang, can’t say I’ve ever tightened down my truck axle nut like that, spacers or not! Ive only seen that on Walmart and toys r us completes. They do it for safety to make the board a snail for kids.

No, it's not a safety thing, they just do it with a power tool in every factory, walmart & legit brands included
That's the first thing you usually do when you unbox completes at the shop, make the axle nuts looser to prevent a noob customer from being like "oh it doesn't spin it's most def a bad skateboard"

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -298
« Reply #355 on: June 16, 2023, 10:57:09 AM »
Who actually wants to tighten their axle nut all the way down to the wheel? It looks bad and say goodbye to your threads after you land primo a few times

biaherl

• Rep: 267
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #356 on: June 16, 2023, 12:34:30 PM »
Who actually wants to tighten their axle nut all the way down to the wheel? It looks bad and say goodbye to your threads after you land primo a few times

When Ishod said that he uses three washers and just tightens the nut enough so it stays on but doesn't show threads I started doing that. Then when Foy said that he does the same with the nut but doesn't use washers 'cause it helps him lock in better I started doing that. I like both ways but I still suck

I never use spacers and I only skate swiss and swiss ceramics

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -298
« Reply #357 on: June 16, 2023, 01:17:58 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

When Ishod said that he uses three washers and just tightens the nut enough so it stays on but doesn't show threads I started doing that. Then when Foy said that he does the same with the nut but doesn't use washers 'cause it helps him lock in better I started doing that. I like both ways but I still suck

I never use spacers and I only skate swiss and swiss ceramics

Yeah I’ve been doing the Ishod 3 washer setup since I found that out (on Slap) and it’s perfect

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
« Reply #358 on: June 16, 2023, 11:01:00 PM »
I do it…..and you wanna know why?

Koo….koo…..

burner

• Rep: 91
« Reply #359 on: June 17, 2023, 04:22:39 AM »
I skate spacers but also don't crank my wheels down completely. Maybe it's mental, but it just feels more together, complete and feels like it puts less pressure on the core and keeps it stable. And the only times I ripped/fucked the core of the wheel or blown bearings was when I didn't have spacers, due to bearing on urethane pressure (like in power slides, sharpe turns, crooked landings etc) rather than keeping it bearing on metal. Never skated without spacers since, never had a problem. Spacers all day. 8)

« Last Edit: June 17, 2023, 04:37:28 AM by burner »