Author Topic: Luan of Nike.  (Read 28114 times)

Skatebrain

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rep: 14
Re: Luan of Nike.
« Reply #240 on: March 07, 2023, 01:49:29 PM »
Not a marketing expert, but key to entering a new market would be to acquire universally loved skaters from the start.   Obviously you’d have to offer ridiculous contracts to people like  Fred Gall,  Guy Mariano,   Ray Barbee types.    Mike  Vallely and the Skategoat are super polarizing figures.  Way harder to unkook your brand, once kooked.     

manysnakes

« Reply #241 on: March 07, 2023, 02:40:17 PM »
Little question but; why cariuma
is he so hated..? I can't figure it out.. the brand looks right, the shoes look nice to skate on, and I believe they have an eco-consciousness.. why so much hate? I remember when Nike and Adidas came, everyone hated them.. and now everyone likes or accepts haha

Everyone hates them because they partnered with Berra, they sponsor the wrong type of skater and they are ugly. Everything else is just backfill.

manysnakes

« Reply #242 on: March 07, 2023, 02:42:19 PM »
Expand Quote
hate cariuma all you want, but..

imagine you are a professional skateboarder, and your glory days are in the past. you have a family, a home and commitments. someone comes along offering you a bigger pay check than what you already got, in change for you to wear their shoes. you would be pretty stupid to turn them down, even if it upsets the edgelords on obscure internet forums.
[close]

hate me all you want, but...

being a pro skater like luan, who is not the most productive guy out there, probably gives you a ton of free time. i'm guessing he knew that a professional skater's career isn't eternal, and when he was still in street league and getting that nike check, he could have spent some of that free time on getting an education or learning a trade or something. i'm not phased by the fact that luan is on cariuma now since i don't care about both of them, but imagine if heath went from emerica to cariuma just to milk that skate shit for a couple more years. he would never do that, that's why he's got the respect of nearly every skater. we wouldn't speak so highly about all the pluhowskis, pappalardos if they started skating for wack ass companies when their big contracts fizzled out or whatever. i understand your/luan's point of view too, but it's not like there's nothing to do for him except skating, i mean if he asked nicely he could have probably gotten on that sb career development program if that's still around instead of going for the low hanging fruit and deciding to skate for possibly the most universally hated skate shoe company ever. on the other side people probably said the same about nike sb in their early years but then again they had legit legends on the team since the beginning, fuckin gino, richard mulder, reese forbes. luan's no gino, and who else do they have, mike v? lol

Oh my god man you're suggesting that Luan go become a plumber or learn to code rather than accept a large check from a shoe company in order to do the only thing he knows how to do?

Southernmost

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 136
« Reply #243 on: March 07, 2023, 05:34:20 PM »
Damn…vallely, skate goat and luan!?! That team is stacked.

Don’t forget Trevor Colden!

Banned from the room

« Reply #244 on: March 07, 2023, 05:53:12 PM »
I just wanted him on és. I'm ok with the move. Luan can Rick what he wants. But he shouldn't ever skate to Motor Breath again. Bad bad fit.

He is the guy who gets the most views via berries. It makes sense he would go there. I was just hoping he'd go and make a core statement.

I was definitely tripping tho. Luan is not caring about the core.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3374
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #245 on: March 07, 2023, 06:35:53 PM »
I would definitely hire Luan the Plumber if he starts a business...at least once.

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 588
« Reply #246 on: March 07, 2023, 07:02:18 PM »
I’m surprised he went to Cariuma instead of Globe
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

somedudefromnj

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 78
« Reply #247 on: March 09, 2023, 08:04:28 AM »
Expand Quote
is he so hated..? I can't figure it out.. the brand looks right, the shoes look nice to skate on, and I believe they have an eco-consciousness.. why so much hate? I remember when Nike and Adidas came, everyone hated them.. and now everyone likes or accepts haha
[close]

Everyone hates them because they partnered with Berra, they sponsor the wrong type of skater and they are ugly. Everything else is just backfill.

So I took a look at the website to check a few things and couldn't help but notice that only the skate shoes force that ugly leaf down your throat on every model. The silhouettes don't seem like anything to brag about in my opinion. Very simple, maybe some would enjoy.

To each their own though

Lol. Eldee is definitely a human. He’s like a raider on horse back who’s kinda scared to do battle. Somehow he closes his eyes and swings his sword wildly and wakes up in a pile of dead orcs.

YMCMB

• Rep: 49
« Reply #248 on: March 09, 2023, 08:11:07 AM »

He used to ride for Globe in the Extremely Sorry days.

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 499
« Reply #249 on: March 09, 2023, 11:19:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
So I took a look at the website to check a few things and couldn't help but notice that only the skate shoes force that ugly leaf down your throat on every model. The silhouettes don't seem like anything to brag about in my opinion. Very simple, maybe some would enjoy.

To each their own though
luan back on globe???  :o

brucewillis

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • Die Hard. www.casualskateshop.com.br
« Reply #250 on: March 10, 2023, 03:30:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
hate cariuma all you want, but..

imagine you are a professional skateboarder, and your glory days are in the past. you have a family, a home and commitments. someone comes along offering you a bigger pay check than what you already got, in change for you to wear their shoes. you would be pretty stupid to turn them down, even if it upsets the edgelords on obscure internet forums.
[close]

hate me all you want, but...

being a pro skater like luan, who is not the most productive guy out there, probably gives you a ton of free time. i'm guessing he knew that a professional skater's career isn't eternal, and when he was still in street league and getting that nike check, he could have spent some of that free time on getting an education or learning a trade or something. i'm not phased by the fact that luan is on cariuma now since i don't care about both of them, but imagine if heath went from emerica to cariuma just to milk that skate shit for a couple more years. he would never do that, that's why he's got the respect of nearly every skater. we wouldn't speak so highly about all the pluhowskis, pappalardos if they started skating for wack ass companies when their big contracts fizzled out or whatever. i understand your/luan's point of view too, but it's not like there's nothing to do for him except skating, i mean if he asked nicely he could have probably gotten on that sb career development program if that's still around instead of going for the low hanging fruit and deciding to skate for possibly the most universally hated skate shoe company ever. on the other side people probably said the same about nike sb in their early years but then again they had legit legends on the team since the beginning, fuckin gino, richard mulder, reese forbes. luan's no gino, and who else do they have, mike v? lol
[close]

Oh my god man you're suggesting that Luan go become a plumber or learn to code rather than accept a large check from a shoe company in order to do the only thing he knows how to do?
Luan owns TWO mall shops. He did the right thing with his "free time" and nike money and is set for life.

Bill Salt

« Reply #251 on: March 10, 2023, 07:12:37 AM »
I like the dude but he annoyed me at tampa, forcing a smile and trying to act like he was chilling.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2023, 07:29:29 AM by Bill Salt »

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2254
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #252 on: March 10, 2023, 07:25:29 AM »
I like the dude but he annoed me at tampa, forcing a smile and trying to act like he was chilling.
Respectfully, I submit the following thought: personally, I would definitely have to force a smile if I was wearing a Cumorama shirt and/or their shoes. Show a little compassionate understanding of the shitty situation poor dude finds himself in.  This shit shares the same tier/level as Airspeed on the shameful sponsors scale.
I feel bad for his mother.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Bill Salt

« Reply #253 on: March 10, 2023, 07:30:31 AM »
Expand Quote
I like the dude but he annoed me at tampa, forcing a smile and trying to act like he was chilling.
[close]
Respectfully, I submit the following thought: personally, I would definitely have to force a smile if I was wearing a Cumorama shirt and/or their shoes. Show a little compassionate understanding of the shitty situation poor dude finds himself in.  This shit shares the same tier/level as Airspeed on the shameful sponsors scale.
I feel bad for his mother.
Shit, I kinda forgot to take that in consideration...Cariuma...

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1974
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #254 on: March 10, 2023, 07:38:03 AM »

They cut Slap's favorite horn dog Daveed off the team to make room for Austin Gillette, the last thing they want is another Flip guy on the squad.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Bill Salt

« Reply #255 on: March 10, 2023, 08:58:47 AM »
I came with that logo at Cariuma and ripped me off.

tadej Pog

• Rep: -527
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #256 on: March 10, 2023, 10:05:51 AM »
Dude is a kook. just saw an interview that he was flexing  for being 2x tampa a Sls winner. He said to haters "are you a Copenhagen winner?"

Nobody cares about former skate champions: greg lutzka could be on nike nowadays if his champ past counts.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2023, 04:10:12 AM by tadej Pog »
Miss you Rusty Berings

sionarancsle

• Rep: 5
« Reply #257 on: March 11, 2023, 03:49:09 AM »
Dude is a kook. just saw an interview that he was flexing  for being 2x tampa an Sls winner. He seid to haters "are you a Copenhagen winner?"

Nobody cares about former skate champions: greg lutzka could be on nike nowadays if his champ past counts.

Link please

(this is Casey Foley doing his thing in Adelaide)

tadej Pog

• Rep: -527
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #258 on: March 11, 2023, 04:11:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Dude is a kook. just saw an interview that he was flexing  for being 2x tampa an Sls winner. He seid to haters "are you a Copenhagen winner?"

[close]

Link please

Miss you Rusty Berings

CAPTAIN NOBODY

« Reply #259 on: March 11, 2023, 06:50:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Link please
[close]

Fuck it let him flex. I hope one day we have a big trash talker contest skater that will cut wrestling style heel promos whenever they win gold. Belittling the crowd telling them how worthless they are. Demanding applause, I’m all for it!

Something like this!

Roy Machine

• Rep: -4
« Reply #260 on: March 11, 2023, 03:56:55 PM »
Not a marketing expert, but key to entering a new market would be to acquire universally loved skaters from the start.   Obviously you’d have to offer ridiculous contracts to people like  Fred Gall,  Guy Mariano,   Ray Barbee types.    Mike  Vallely and the Skategoat are super polarizing figures.  Way harder to unkook your brand, once kooked.   

You are living in the past my dear friend.
Who the fuck cares about Fred Gall outside of slap?

Their is a huge fanbase of these YouTube Skaters and all of them have their own clothing or board brand but cariuama is the only shoe brand in that niche. Even If you don't like them i think they did smart decissions in the past.

winecrab

• Rep: -176
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #261 on: March 11, 2023, 04:12:13 PM »
Just watched his push remastered video. I forgot just how good he is at what he does. He needs to skate more interesting spots though. A ledge part filmed in china is boring. I haven't seen footage from him in a while but he's still young enough to put out his best part yet. I wonder if he was dropped from Nike for lack of productivity/end of contract, or was poached by cariuma with a better deal? Cariuma is ass but he does seem to fit on there.

fakie nollie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1071
« Reply #262 on: March 11, 2023, 04:31:23 PM »

Hahahaha

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2254
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #263 on: March 11, 2023, 05:04:17 PM »
You guys really gotta get this idea that he was “poached” out of your heads.
Man’s contract was not extended.
He wisely took the only offer on the table.
Ass brand or not, he needs that revenue stream to prop up the slower times at his retail locations.
Shameful? For certs.
Smart? Oh yeah!
Let the man live: doing so with his “tail between his legs” is punishment enough for his questionable decision.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

HiltonPartinez

• Rep: 64
« Reply #264 on: March 11, 2023, 07:24:36 PM »

switchfakie

« Reply #265 on: March 11, 2023, 08:15:48 PM »

is this a real snapshot of the up and coming & highly anticipated nintendo mario film ?

HiltonPartinez

• Rep: 64
« Reply #266 on: March 11, 2023, 08:57:10 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

is this a real snapshot of the up and coming & highly anticipated nintendo mario film ?

Yes

Luan Oliveira is... the Super Plumber

Witness The New Shape Of Fear
« Last Edit: March 11, 2023, 09:04:44 PM by HiltonPartinez »

backfliptofiftyfifty

• Rep: -145
  • commitment issues (in life and skating)
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #267 on: March 11, 2023, 09:49:48 PM »
Where the fuck does Cariuama get so much money, in the span of 5 years they were nothing in the skate industry to being one of the most infamous brands. The fact that they are poaching riders off Nike shows that they have a lot of income at their disposable. Somethings fishy

swellbowed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 520
  • ow
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #268 on: March 11, 2023, 10:32:32 PM »
Where the fuck does Cariuama get so much money, in the span of 5 years they were nothing in the skate industry to being one of the most infamous brands. The fact that they are poaching riders off Nike shows that they have a lot of income at their disposable. Somethings fishy
Expand Quote
Am I wrong for liking this move based on him being from Brazil and skating for a Brazilian company
[close]
Surface level it’s a Brazilian company but the majority of investors in the company are not Brazilian
  • Madrone Capital - Menlo Park, California based venture capital and private equity firm. They are associated with Wal-Mart heir S. Robson Walton, eldest son of founder Sam Walton
  • Shanghai Capital - Shanghai China
  • 4M Holding - Cesar Villares - the only one from Brazil
  • East Ventures - Japan
  • Innova Capital - Poland
  • Exor Seeds - New York
Don’t think he was poached, as Lou said it’s more than likely his Nike contract wasn’t re-upped