Author Topic: 2023 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 171625 times)

tadej Pog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -527
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
Re: 2023 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #1290 on: March 31, 2023, 04:10:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I'm posting this here because I don't know where else to put this opinion and I wanna hear you all's thought on it.

I think Nik Stain's skating looks pretty similar to Stevie Williams'
[close]
Expand Quote
if i could pick one person i dont think nik stain skates like it might be stevie williams
[close]
But you’ve gotta hand it to this SLAP user @OneMore, they definitely chose the correct thread to share that opinion in.
[close]

i could see similarities in nik stain's & stevies long extended push

other than that, i dont see anything similar
[close]
Yeah, maybe I'm not seeing something, but when I think of Stevie I think more of his pop than anything else, whereas Nik Stain doesn't have that type of pop but skates at breakneck speed. If I was gonna say any big name current skater skates like Stevie I'm probably say Tiago.

If Stevie skated in  Rails, Big gaps and big bumps to bar you could be right.
Miss you Rusty Berings

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #1291 on: March 31, 2023, 09:58:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I'm posting this here because I don't know where else to put this opinion and I wanna hear you all's thought on it.

I think Nik Stain's skating looks pretty similar to Stevie Williams'
[close]
Expand Quote
if i could pick one person i dont think nik stain skates like it might be stevie williams
[close]
But you’ve gotta hand it to this SLAP user @OneMore, they definitely chose the correct thread to share that opinion in.
[close]

i could see similarities in nik stain's & stevies long extended push

other than that, i dont see anything similar
[close]
Yeah, maybe I'm not seeing something, but when I think of Stevie I think more of his pop than anything else, whereas Nik Stain doesn't have that type of pop but skates at breakneck speed. If I was gonna say any big name current skater skates like Stevie I'm probably say Tiago.
[close]

If Stevie skated in  Rails, Big gaps and big bumps to bar you could be right.
Bro forgot about Jahmir Brown

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1239
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1292 on: April 01, 2023, 07:23:26 AM »
Expand Quote
this would prolly be considered a 2022 unpopular opinion but billiam strobeck picked the music for play dead by seeing what songs were popular with kids on "alt TikTok." when I heard deftones and metallica come on i immediately realized that I was not the target demographic. on the bright side apparently a clip was filmed at a spot in my town so that's cool I guess
[close]
I realized I wasn't the target demographic when a child's bare belly and chest was filling 90% of the screen while deftones was playing, but deftones itself is not a problem, I dig the band
I don't like Metallica but I don't have any problems with who does, and I thought it fit Nik Stain's skating pretty well.

Lol.  I fuck with some old Metallica songs though.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

beandemon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #1293 on: April 01, 2023, 08:24:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
this would prolly be considered a 2022 unpopular opinion but billiam strobeck picked the music for play dead by seeing what songs were popular with kids on "alt TikTok." when I heard deftones and metallica come on i immediately realized that I was not the target demographic. on the bright side apparently a clip was filmed at a spot in my town so that's cool I guess
[close]
I realized I wasn't the target demographic when a child's bare belly and chest was filling 90% of the screen while deftones was playing, but deftones itself is not a problem, I dig the band
I don't like Metallica but I don't have any problems with who does, and I thought it fit Nik Stain's skating pretty well.
[close]

Lol.  I fuck with some old Metallica songs though.

Let’s get this shit straight - old (good) Metallica ends with Cliff, the hesher messiah.  Justice and the black album are not it. Nothing against mr. newsted, he’s cool. Trujillo gave them a modest bump in cred due to the S.T.->Dogtown connection, but that fizzled in the aughts.

sle_epy

• Rep: -82
« Reply #1294 on: April 01, 2023, 12:25:06 PM »
Expand Quote
What I'm thinking is they've both got that straight arms going at sharp angles out front of their bodies. I also think they have similar technique/look to their 180 manual tricks.

I could be out of it on this one though, totally willing to take that too.
[close]

as a huge nik stain fan, and someone that grew up watching stevies part in the DC video a million times, this is shattering my worldview.

Havent watched any stevie in a while, i need to study before i can make an accurate judgement on this.

just from memory though, i kinda see where you're coming from, and it's scaring me.

Once I saw it I couldn't unsee it. I knew exactly what they meant though as soon as I read it. Watching and comparing kinda confirmed it. It's def not a one to one situation but when you compare footy of them both doing ledge lines through a plaza, is when it's most apparent. The rest of the time maybe not so much.
eau de toilette: Sk8IQ by Sle_epy

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1278
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #1295 on: April 01, 2023, 01:44:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
What I'm thinking is they've both got that straight arms going at sharp angles out front of their bodies. I also think they have similar technique/look to their 180 manual tricks.

I could be out of it on this one though, totally willing to take that too.
[close]

as a huge nik stain fan, and someone that grew up watching stevies part in the DC video a million times, this is shattering my worldview.

Havent watched any stevie in a while, i need to study before i can make an accurate judgement on this.

just from memory though, i kinda see where you're coming from, and it's scaring me.
[close]

Once I saw it I couldn't unsee it. I knew exactly what they meant though as soon as I read it. Watching and comparing kinda confirmed it. It's def not a one to one situation but when you compare footy of them both doing ledge lines through a plaza, is when it's most apparent. The rest of the time maybe not so much.
I did the thing the other night and compared The Chocolate Tour to Hockey X. Terrain and speed are pretty different along with the fact that Stevie is one of those guys where more than half of the clips from his window were switch. That said, they both lift their arms in similar ways. Straight up from the shoulders like if they were marionettes, the string would be attached to the outside of their elbows.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1296 on: April 02, 2023, 05:32:34 AM »
Black soles look terrible 99% of the time.
Contrast stitching (especially white on black) looks terrible 99.9% of the time.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #1297 on: April 02, 2023, 05:49:08 AM »
Contrast stitching (especially white on black) looks terrible 99.9% of the time.
Agree with this + white laces in all black or brown (or any laces that don't match the shoe really) also always look terrible. White socks usually fuck up your kit too

sle_epy

• Rep: -82
« Reply #1298 on: April 02, 2023, 05:53:33 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Agree with this + white laces in all black or brown (or any laces that don't match the shoe really) also always look terrible. White socks usually fuck up your kit too

Always liked Kerry Getz' white lace / dark shoe combo in jump off a building.
eau de toilette: Sk8IQ by Sle_epy

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #1299 on: April 02, 2023, 05:59:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Always liked Kerry Getz' white lace / dark shoe combo in jump off a building.
Nah yuck the laces don't fool me. I know they're your church shoes

the canadian suit

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 145
  • Always lurking.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1300 on: April 02, 2023, 06:11:21 AM »

I used to feel like that (black soles) but a switch went in my brain 3 years ago and no I fuck with all black. Random top color and black sole is awful though, especially light blues and shit!

Contrast stitching is a horrendous trend and idk who’s buying that shit
p-shuvs and v-flips

wahwahwah

• Rep: -2
« Reply #1301 on: April 02, 2023, 08:03:26 AM »
Front side 180s are critically underrated.

the one that tim o did on the love park levels is beatiful
Sipe nousee sisään,
Niin nousee herkkokin.

wahwahwah

• Rep: -2
« Reply #1302 on: April 02, 2023, 08:05:45 AM »
jumping down stuff is boring as hell in videoparts

I rather see ledges manuals and creative shit rather than jumping down shit

Sipe nousee sisään,
Niin nousee herkkokin.

MusclesMarinara

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 100
« Reply #1303 on: April 02, 2023, 08:09:59 AM »
I liked Metal Skateboards better when it was a dead company. I'm not digging the new graphics and whoever runs the insta account really needs to put their phone down.
Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

signtime

• Rep: 1
  • Big Mountain Snowskating!
« Reply #1304 on: April 02, 2023, 11:16:57 AM »
Face tune, photoshop, angles, lighting, filters...
It seems like all the same editing shit skaters are doing on their pics are all the same bullshit selfie edits fitness influencers do.

I'll be at a session and watch someone do the trick, and then their Instagram photo later is just soooo fake to what really happened.
2 foot air looking like a 10 foot air or something.

It's weird cuz I wanna stoke my homies up and be happy they got a cool photo, so I comment nice stuff, but I can't shake the feeling.

turbo 2.0

• Rep: 52
« Reply #1305 on: April 02, 2023, 05:57:51 PM »
It seems like all the same editing shit skaters are doing on their pics are all the same bullshit selfie edits fitness influencers do.

I'll be at a session and watch someone do the trick, and then their Instagram photo later is just soooo fake to what really happened.

It's weird cuz I wanna stoke my homies up and be happy they got a cool photo, so I comment nice stuff, but I can't shake the feeling.

damn let me know when you figure out what angle makes a two foot air look like a ten foot air.

signtime

• Rep: 1
  • Big Mountain Snowskating!
« Reply #1306 on: April 03, 2023, 08:50:02 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

damn let me know when you figure out what angle makes a two foot air look like a ten foot air.

Bugs eye view + photoshop

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #1307 on: April 04, 2023, 02:23:12 AM »
Kids at the park aren't nice and loved up at the moment. It's full of rat bag haters like the 90's again. Is this a trend?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #1308 on: April 04, 2023, 06:51:51 AM »
Hope so…..

HiResDes

• Rep: -39
« Reply #1309 on: April 04, 2023, 11:51:30 AM »
Expand Quote
I’ve always seen Nik Stain as a Reese Forbes with manual anything abilities instead of pop.
[close]

That's not a bad person to be imo

switchfakie

« Reply #1310 on: April 04, 2023, 03:16:40 PM »
Kids at the park aren't nice and loved up at the moment. It's full of rat bag haters like the 90's again. Is this a trend?

yeh covid fucked shit up and re-popularized skating again.

it also doesnt help that bc its been ~20 odd years now, so this new generation is romanticizing the late 90s (just the same way the 90s romanticized the 70s). i guess skateboardings popularity just got snagged along for the ride

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1239
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1311 on: April 04, 2023, 03:54:25 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

it also doesnt help that bc its been ~20 odd years now, so this new generation is romanticizing the late 90s (just the same way the 90s romanticized the 70s). i guess skateboardings popularity just got snagged along for the ride

These are either kids falling through the social safety net or living in a black hole of hormones.  They should be treated as wounded animals.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2157
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #1312 on: April 04, 2023, 10:30:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

These are either kids falling through the social safety net or living in a black hole of hormones.  They should be treated as wounded animals.
Usually, wounded animals are either nursed back to health, or humanely euthanized.  I’m not sure which you’re advocating for in the case of the kids at the park, but I’m not upset by your suggestion regardless of your intended meaning.  🙃

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

cky enthusiast

« Reply #1313 on: April 06, 2023, 11:22:13 AM »
kevin rodrigues is cool

Tarquin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 423
« Reply #1314 on: April 06, 2023, 12:08:45 PM »

HiResDes

• Rep: -39
« Reply #1315 on: April 06, 2023, 12:14:17 PM »
Alex Midler rips

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 191
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #1316 on: April 06, 2023, 01:16:28 PM »

All black shoes w/ a little contrast is cool, only time I dig black soles.

Fuck the contrast stitching tho

Terminal

« Reply #1317 on: April 06, 2023, 09:49:35 PM »
Skating in boardshorts is the single most comfortable and loose way to skate.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #1318 on: April 06, 2023, 11:47:32 PM »
Black soles are awesome. But anything is better than a white sole with a visible foxing tape line.

The Mexican Nancy Chin

• Rep: 112
« Reply #1319 on: April 07, 2023, 01:06:27 AM »
Skating in boardshorts is the single most comfortable and loose way to skate.

Taking a slam where your legs slides on the ground or getting a shinner in boardshorts doesn't sound very comfortable