Author Topic: 2023 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 177364 times)

SatanicPanic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
Re: 2023 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #450 on: January 28, 2023, 06:38:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Not really an opinion but why is everybody skating pepper grip all of a sudden?
[close]

maybe your area only, ive never seen a single person with pepper grip

but if i do recall, some online shops were giving it free with boards, so maybe that
I think this is why. I just take whatever grip is cheap and/or free and I’ve noticed I have a few leftovers pieces in my stuff now when I’d never heard of it before.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #451 on: January 28, 2023, 07:21:56 PM »

I honestly think it’s the superior grip. The grit lands somewhere between mob and jessup. Doesn’t go bald like jessup or myself. The glue doesn’t suck like mob. I bought a sheet to try and legit went back once and then bought a bunch of sheets to just have sitting since my local doesn’t sell it.

Definitely give it a shot if you get a chance

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 760
« Reply #452 on: January 28, 2023, 07:46:38 PM »

Got a sheet for free with a deck at some point and have purchased a few since then.  I think it cuts very cleanly and easily and the grip is pretty durable.  Usually skate mob but I’ve had some subpar sheets over the past year (not sure if it’s how they were stored, etc.).  Gonna keep rocking with Pepper if it’s available…

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1265
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #453 on: January 28, 2023, 08:36:15 PM »
Pepper is the best griptape I’ve ever had. It’s the best looking too.

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -417
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #454 on: January 28, 2023, 08:38:12 PM »
Rodney Mullen slander shouldn’t be tolerated, he’s the GOAT I don’t give a fuck if he had terrible style, I genuinely believe street skating wouldn’t exist if he quit. We owe that autistic little skaterat everything.

kookdusoleil

• Rep: 63
  • Have fun out there
« Reply #455 on: January 28, 2023, 08:45:34 PM »
Rodney Mullen slander shouldn’t be tolerated, he’s the GOAT I don’t give a fuck if he had terrible style, I genuinely believe street skating wouldn’t exist if he quit. We owe that autistic little skaterat everything.

Fully back this - plus, dudes have gotten away with worse style all while doing tricks Rodney invented

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #456 on: January 29, 2023, 06:52:26 AM »
Metal fucking sucks, “indie” music fucking sucks

cky enthusiast

« Reply #457 on: January 29, 2023, 06:54:40 AM »

post a playlist coward

manysnakes

« Reply #458 on: January 29, 2023, 07:12:35 AM »

Unless someone is on Shake Junt, I have absolutely no idea what grip other people are skating.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #459 on: January 29, 2023, 07:30:03 AM »
Pepper is between Mob and Jessup, but most importantly doesn't get frayed and shiny when the board lands grip down on asphalt.

Blueabyssofthisss

« Reply #460 on: January 29, 2023, 07:36:01 AM »
I really want to try pepper grip now

Democratic Republic Of Mongo

• Rep: 130
« Reply #461 on: January 29, 2023, 11:13:06 AM »
I want Vans to keep making these shoes without the lasagna because to me, they look like the cupsole we’ve all been waiting for.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 629
« Reply #462 on: January 29, 2023, 11:15:30 AM »
I want Vans to keep making these shoes without the lasagna because to me, they look like the cupsole we’ve all been waiting for.

Looks like ishods nike shoe

vinithebr

• Rep: -19
« Reply #463 on: January 29, 2023, 06:31:32 PM »
freedom of speech vs blasphemy, both overrated

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1140
« Reply #464 on: January 29, 2023, 06:49:06 PM »

…. but they have a damn lasagna on there haha.  It’s like an Alanis Morissette song.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

vinithebr

• Rep: -19
« Reply #465 on: January 29, 2023, 07:29:43 PM »

Indie can be alt j, arcade fire, but it can also be pixies, the smiths, radiohead and so so many others.

If I think eletro I think pop shitty eletro like david gueta, calvin harris, but I kinda like eletro subgenres like synthwave/retro/vapor...

When I think of emo I think MCR, Panic at the disco and paramore which isn't my alley, but I'm glad I took a deep dive and found mathrock and midwest emo cause I fucking love some bands from that sub-subgenre.

Music is fluid and rich as hell, a band can take strong inspiration from a fuckton of different genres at once, and then be the inspiration to a hundred others.

Genre terms are there to help, help locating or give vague ideas of what to expect. Of course you can use them to broadly talk shit but it's hard to respect the take.

edit:gramma
« Last Edit: January 29, 2023, 07:40:14 PM by vinithebr »

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -226
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #466 on: January 30, 2023, 05:37:33 AM »

This episode of Seinfeld is the most culturally relevant regardless of time period.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

IpathCats

« Reply #467 on: January 30, 2023, 05:58:23 AM »

Is it slander if it's true?

fuckin' triple flip bullshit.

Get housed, nerd.

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #468 on: January 30, 2023, 07:15:59 AM »
Mark Gonzales invented modern street skating and was already setting the tone while Rodney was doing stationary pogos on a baby sized board that no one else rode.  Ask any street pro from the early days, Transworld, Thrasher, etc. etc. 

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #469 on: February 01, 2023, 04:37:09 PM »
Curb-height manny pads are a far superior form of low impact skating than slappies. Idk why old guys love slappies so much, they hurt your knees almost as much as skating flat and they’re only fun if you’re going Mach 5, which creates a pretty high slam risk factor. Way easier to break yourself off skating a curb than a small manny pad. Just doing manny shuv or 180 out is way more fun than pretty much all slappy tricks. Sometimes I think the real reason slappy culture got so intertwined with old dude culture is because it’s the only kind of skating that’s way more fun with a couple of beers in ya

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
« Reply #470 on: February 01, 2023, 08:38:41 PM »
Curb-height manny pads are a far superior form of low impact skating than slappies. Idk why old guys love slappies so much, they hurt your knees almost as much as skating flat and they’re only fun if you’re going Mach 5, which creates a pretty high slam risk factor. Way easier to break yourself off skating a curb than a small manny pad. Just doing manny shuv or 180 out is way more fun than pretty much all slappy tricks. Sometimes I think the real reason slappy culture got so intertwined with old dude culture is because it’s the only kind of skating that’s way more fun with a couple of beers in ya
I dunno man, they hurt my knees more than all but a few slappies. But mostly I’m terrible at manuals. Even back in the day I could only do regular ones. So not as fun for me. Also, there’s way more kinds of skating that are fun with beer.

livin on a speyer

« Reply #471 on: February 01, 2023, 09:16:37 PM »
Manuals are the worst tricks in skateboarding. Yuck!

LebowskisRug

« Reply #472 on: February 01, 2023, 10:07:45 PM »
Slappies got popular because you get the slide and grind marks to establish credibility without having to pop into any of them.

I kid, I enjoy slappies a lot but the curb dancing stuff and general culture of it can be a little ridiculous, but skateboarding in and of itself is ridiculous to begin with so it jives well.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1594
« Reply #473 on: February 01, 2023, 10:34:38 PM »

Manuals have zero friction thus having no physical affect on your body…..

However it’s the mental torment which is what an elderly skater is avoiding…..

moneen

• Rep: -41
« Reply #474 on: February 01, 2023, 10:39:14 PM »
tell me you cant slappy without telling me you cant slappy

manysnakes

« Reply #475 on: February 02, 2023, 04:11:34 AM »
Slappies got popular because you get the slide and grind marks to establish credibility without having to pop into any of them.

I kid, I enjoy slappies a lot but the curb dancing stuff and general culture of it can be a little ridiculous, but skateboarding in and of itself is ridiculous to begin with so it jives well.

I think people just have fun doing them.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
« Reply #476 on: February 02, 2023, 05:21:15 AM »
Grinding>manualing
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

IpathCats

« Reply #477 on: February 02, 2023, 06:12:15 AM »
Grinding>manualing

generally, i'd agree

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #478 on: February 02, 2023, 06:27:23 AM »
The problem is you guys are taking manny’s too seriously, if you don’t lock into it just do that heel scrape thing to balance it and try some random trick out, when you stop giving a fuck about making it perfect they’re so fun. I shamelessly scrape on mannys at the park all the time

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1594
« Reply #479 on: February 02, 2023, 06:47:16 AM »
You ever drag your tail on a 5-0?  It’s called a 5-0?  When you do it on a manual….it’s not called anything….