Author Topic: 2023 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 177313 times)

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
Re: 2023 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #660 on: February 10, 2023, 09:17:56 PM »
Pro skateboarding is on the verge of being dead in the next 5 or so years.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1594
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #661 on: February 10, 2023, 09:43:32 PM »
Same timeline as the sky actually falling…..

WorldsbestWeedsm0ker

• Rep: -158
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #662 on: February 11, 2023, 06:03:23 AM »
Ya and your mom will no longa be a whoa
waved and warped
RIP fugluk (Tristan)

Southernmost

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 137
« Reply #663 on: February 11, 2023, 11:37:26 AM »
Energy drink sponsors aren’t that bad. I get it that they’re not the healthiest beverage. Most skaters don’t have the healthiest habits anyways. The hats or patches on clothes are stupid but I’ve seen much worse kits. They seem to travel a lot, pay their skaters, filmers and employees well. Host events and create spots or parks world wide. It looks like they offer some type of physical therapy or possibly health insurance. I know it’s not core or hell ride but the times have changed over the years and I don’t view it as a bad sponsorship choice as much.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #664 on: February 11, 2023, 01:37:42 PM »
Trucks don't need to be 55mm high. Indy's were better for the short period of time they were lower.

Also wider boards often make for sloppier, shittier looking skating. With more surface area to land on it seems for some there is more of a lever/swerve effect. Nothing looks shittier than a short, stubby, wide board ridden by someone with Big Boys.

Groondor the Orc

• Rep: -141
  • Doper than Joey Bast’s shelltoes
« Reply #665 on: February 11, 2023, 01:51:43 PM »
Jumping down stuff is beta.

Jumping over stuff is hella alpha.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -619
« Reply #666 on: February 11, 2023, 01:57:59 PM »

Why?
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -619
« Reply #667 on: February 11, 2023, 01:59:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Allen hardware fucking sucks. I feel like I’m the only person in the world who can reliably locate an Allen key at their house, I always have one in the junk drawer, but why not just use the phillips that’s on your tool? I never strip the heads and aren’t you not supposed to recycle hardware indefinitely anyway? Don’t get the point, plus it looks weird.
[close]

imo, hardware has a limited lifespan. i give it away after 2 or 3 setups.

Why would hardware have a limited lifespan? It's just nuts and bolts, if they ain't broke don't fix em
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 706
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #668 on: February 11, 2023, 02:12:10 PM »
Trucks don't need to be 55mm high. Indy's were better for the short period of time they were lower.

Forged, 53.5mm, perfect. 55mm is turboclown.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

“Skateboarding is truly amazing. Wearing a helmet while hitting a handrail can kook you for life, but being an antisocial weirdo with mystique can earn you a pass.” -Some guy on SLAP

LebowskisRug

« Reply #669 on: February 11, 2023, 03:20:28 PM »
Cast 53.5 forged 52 is perfect.

Knox Harrington

• Rep: 10
« Reply #670 on: February 11, 2023, 04:19:49 PM »
Guys who do slappies are skimboarders with wheels.

BL0B

• Rep: 420
« Reply #671 on: February 11, 2023, 04:50:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Allen hardware fucking sucks. I feel like I’m the only person in the world who can reliably locate an Allen key at their house, I always have one in the junk drawer, but why not just use the phillips that’s on your tool? I never strip the heads and aren’t you not supposed to recycle hardware indefinitely anyway? Don’t get the point, plus it looks weird.
[close]

[close]

Why would hardware have a limited lifespan? It's just nuts and bolts, if they ain't broke don't fix em

why do machine shops replace tooling by hours used instead of waiting for it to break, why do car manufactures have recommend maintenance schedules? have you ever seen a duck fart? why, y, y?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2023, 04:57:34 PM by BL0B »

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 629
« Reply #672 on: February 11, 2023, 05:08:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

why do machine shops replace tooling by hours used instead of waiting for it to break, why do car manufactures have recommend maintenance schedules? have you ever seen a duck fart? why, y, y?

I'd agree that skateboard bolts don't have a limited timespan, and even if a bolt should ever break, nothing happens if you have 4 for each truck.

It's just that the nyloc gets used, so the nuts need to be changed, but never really the bolts? I've ran the same bolts for many years, only changed nuts unless I somehow fucked the head.

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 464
« Reply #673 on: February 11, 2023, 05:11:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Have you ever seen a duck's penis? It's like a long thin corcscrew.

BL0B

« Reply #674 on: February 11, 2023, 05:20:35 PM »
everything has a limited lifespan on a long enough timeline.

bolts break, nuts strip. i've had the heads pop off, all kinds of shearing, them go all wonky bent. the threads on skateboards bolts take a beating, some savages just poke them right through their grip, they don't even pre-poke or wipe the grit off. y'all are savages, i tell you!

BL0B

« Reply #675 on: February 11, 2023, 05:21:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Have you ever seen a duck's penis? It's like a long thin corcscrew.

no, is a ducks dick kinda bolt like?

Southernmost

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 137
« Reply #676 on: February 11, 2023, 05:46:39 PM »
everything has a limited lifespan on a long enough timeline.

bolts break, nuts strip. i've had the heads pop off, all kinds of shearing, them go all wonky bent. the threads on skateboards bolts take a beating, some savages just poke them right through their grip, they don't even pre-poke or wipe the grit off. y'all are savages, i tell you!

I was once that savage haha now I pre poke all 4 with one bolt per truck and wipe the residue off with each poke. I try to make my bolts last as long as possible now but eventually they strip or maybe warp. They’re also the cheapest component to replace.

BL0B

« Reply #677 on: February 11, 2023, 06:09:49 PM »
I was once that savage haha now I pre poke all 4 with one bolt per truck and wipe the residue off with each poke. I try to make my bolts last as long as possible now but eventually they strip or maybe warp. They’re also the cheapest component to replace.

pleasure meeting you, fine sir.

bob george

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 218
« Reply #678 on: February 11, 2023, 06:44:36 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

why would give them away if they'd reached the end of their lifespan?

also, allen is dope. phillips gives me toystore skateboard vibes.
that skinny motherfucker with the high voice

BL0B

« Reply #679 on: February 11, 2023, 07:37:00 PM »
why would give them away if they'd reached the end of their lifespan?

also, allen is dope. phillips gives me toystore skateboard vibes.

so i'm not the one dealing with all the BS i already mentioned, the people i give them to will probbaly get 4-5 more uses out them.

and yeah, allens rule, phillips suck.

Brad Wesley

• Rep: 31
« Reply #680 on: February 11, 2023, 10:45:57 PM »
the Ty Evans "pharmaceutical ad" filming style is actually cool and good and I'd rather watch skating shot that way than more of the same pixelated piss-yellow VX memberberries.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
« Reply #681 on: February 11, 2023, 11:37:31 PM »
I don’t know what my truck height is, but it’s whatever appears to be the highest in the Indy lineup. And I used 1/8th inch risers. Don’t like low trucks

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 873
« Reply #682 on: February 12, 2023, 03:10:23 AM »
5050, 5-0 and pop shove it are dumb names (even as far as skateboard trick names go) and should of been changed years ago. axle grind, tail grind and varial (would of been called Ollie varial until about 90 then people would drop the Ollie out the name) would of been better

Acid Drop

• Rep: -61
  • Everyone sucks but me
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #683 on: February 12, 2023, 03:19:43 AM »
Hangers grind makes more sense but it sounds ridiculous. Hungus grind to the bakery.
What-ah? Ah-how-wha? huh? You're confused, you're alone, it's Saturday night, you have no pants on

Terminal

« Reply #684 on: February 12, 2023, 03:39:30 AM »
The Thrasher bubble will burst, SLAP will be rebooted

manysnakes

« Reply #685 on: February 12, 2023, 04:14:18 AM »

But how much will Michael Burnett be paid then?

Terminal

« Reply #686 on: February 12, 2023, 04:30:12 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

But how much will Michael Burnett be paid then?
Newphone, little help?

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
« Reply #687 on: February 12, 2023, 04:55:10 AM »

Also wider boards often make for sloppier, shittier looking skating. With more surface area to land on it seems for some there is more of a lever/swerve effect. Nothing looks shittier than a short, stubby, wide board ridden by someone with Big Boys.

I initially felt attacked, but remembered that my skating was never stellar to begin with.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

disclosed

• Rep: 188
« Reply #688 on: February 12, 2023, 05:46:32 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I initially felt attacked, but remembered that my skating was never stellar to begin with.

same for my skating..
but i won't stand for this Tajima Raido slander!! one of the most satisfying skaters to watch. i love the big board, wobbly trucks, i feel like it shows more control not straight up swerving out or wheelbiting on such a setup. i love that board jiggle when landing tricks

dill8849

• Rep: -41
« Reply #689 on: February 12, 2023, 05:46:36 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Completely disagree. Cory Kennedy and Chico skate huge boards and look great doing so.