Author Topic: 2023 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 177430 times)

switchfakie

Re: 2023 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #2250 on: July 30, 2023, 04:13:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Here’s an unpopular opinion. Skating in the winter>skating in the summer. I live in Massachusetts and I’d rather skate in 30 degree weather than 85. Once you warm up you’re good when it’s cold but hot weather makes a two hour session feel like an 8 hour session. Plus by boards get soggy after like two and half weeks in this humidity
[close]
As someone who’s also living in mass, this summer in general has just kinda sucked this year. So I been focusing more on cruising and slappies to stay skating without getting the fatigue from the sun. Plus waking up early to skate is good

idk why people hate skating summer so much

All it takes is one parking garage or under the bridge spot & you’re set for the season

JugeL

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2251 on: July 30, 2023, 05:02:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Here’s an unpopular opinion. Skating in the winter>skating in the summer. I live in Massachusetts and I’d rather skate in 30 degree weather than 85. Once you warm up you’re good when it’s cold but hot weather makes a two hour session feel like an 8 hour session. Plus by boards get soggy after like two and half weeks in this humidity
[close]
As someone who’s also living in mass, this summer in general has just kinda sucked this year. So I been focusing more on cruising and slappies to stay skating without getting the fatigue from the sun. Plus waking up early to skate is good
[close]

All it takes is one parking garage or under the bridge spot & you’re set for the season
My skin type is vampire and skating with half inch layer of sunscreen ain't that nice

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 516
« Reply #2252 on: July 30, 2023, 06:04:07 AM »
The best temperature range for any outdoor activity is 55-65. This is why spring/fall skating is better.
I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 208
« Reply #2253 on: July 30, 2023, 06:53:40 AM »
The best temperature range for any outdoor activity is 55-65. This is why spring/fall skating is better.
I like sweating a lot tho. It’s not that humid here so it’s gotta be warmer, like 80

Newphone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -528
« Reply #2254 on: July 30, 2023, 07:43:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Also mornings and evenings, not just cooler but lower angle of the sun is nice. 

manysnakes

« Reply #2255 on: July 30, 2023, 08:49:33 AM »

This is the truth. I worked for more than a decade in the bicycle industry and I was always baffled by how busy and popular the business became when the hot summer months hit, when it's a scientific fact that riding through colorful trees losing their leaves while the crisp autumn breeze carries away all the heat you're producing is the chillest experience on earth.

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -417
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #2256 on: July 30, 2023, 10:03:14 AM »
Summer’s a lot cooler when you drive to spots and don’t have to cruise with a ten pound gallon of water on your person. I’ve exclusively been skating this curb/ledge spot for the last month just because it’s shaded and near a water bottle refiller fountain (not just the normal ones for drinking directly out of). I miss fall.

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 330
« Reply #2257 on: July 30, 2023, 10:40:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Kinda dependent on location though, skating during a summer daytime isn’t even all that realistic in the southeast because of the humidity.

Heshrat

• Rep: -10
« Reply #2258 on: July 30, 2023, 04:27:24 PM »
You gotta skate both your feet to be a real one.
I have a friend, where if he’s cruising around the city he switches between regular/mongo and switch pushing. And when I asked him why he cruised like that he says “works out both my legs”
I did your mom

switchfakie

« Reply #2259 on: July 30, 2023, 04:32:21 PM »
Asking a person what their best trick on a rail is usually a good indicator of how good they are at skating (emphasis on usually, not an absolute indicator for sure)

OneMore

• Rep: -3
« Reply #2260 on: July 30, 2023, 04:42:31 PM »
I don't think 360 flips look all that cool

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -199
« Reply #2261 on: July 30, 2023, 07:20:51 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I have a friend, where if he’s cruising around the city he switches between regular/mongo and switch pushing. And when I asked him why he cruised like that he says “works out both my legs”

The dream

Logic

• Rep: 35
« Reply #2262 on: July 30, 2023, 07:39:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

The dream

Big benefit from starting out pushing mongo. Switch pushes come really naturally, although i can't push mongo in either stance anymore, feels too awkward.

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 382
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #2263 on: July 30, 2023, 08:42:01 PM »
"Skating in the winter is better!" Yeah dude nice try I'm from the upper midwest

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

tadej Pog

• Rep: -527
« Reply #2264 on: July 31, 2023, 04:35:22 AM »
I enjoy Mikey Taylor Mindfield part. One of the best in the video.
Miss you Rusty Berings

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 330
« Reply #2265 on: July 31, 2023, 05:07:25 AM »
I enjoy Mikey Taylor Mindfield part. One of the best in the video.

He put in a lot of work for that, he had a crazy amount of footage that didn’t make the final cut.

manysnakes

« Reply #2266 on: July 31, 2023, 08:02:57 AM »
Mikey Taylor is/was a great skater. Doesn't make him less of a schmuck today.

Ignatius J Reilly

• Rep: 240
  • often correct
« Reply #2267 on: July 31, 2023, 08:28:29 AM »
its a solid part with a good song and two great van clips, but he was still a very straightforward skater in a video full of unique talents and personalities

The night listener

• Rep: -163
« Reply #2268 on: July 31, 2023, 09:42:14 AM »
Carpet co. Is kinda lame

cky enthusiast

« Reply #2269 on: July 31, 2023, 09:49:26 AM »
i like the mismatched color trucks on rollerskates the gals are running

manysnakes

« Reply #2270 on: July 31, 2023, 09:50:51 AM »
Carpet co. Is kinda lame

I don't get it either. I'm glad other people like it, I'm not anti-Carpet, but I don't care.

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -417
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2271 on: August 01, 2023, 04:57:35 PM »
Katt Williams is the greatest standup of all time. Yeah there are more “important” guys who broke ground all that shit blah blah blah Katt Williams is funnier in his interviews than they are in their specials. One of the greatest Americans of all time.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 208
« Reply #2272 on: August 02, 2023, 04:32:12 PM »
Katt Williams is the greatest standup of all time. Yeah there are more “important” guys who broke ground all that shit blah blah blah Katt Williams is funnier in his interviews than they are in their specials. One of the greatest Americans of all time.
He’s funny sometimes

cky enthusiast

« Reply #2273 on: August 02, 2023, 04:40:03 PM »

i hate to do this to you but it theres something poetic about you lionizing a man beaten up by a 13 year old

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3378
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #2274 on: August 02, 2023, 05:08:18 PM »

This is my true Katt Williams story: Iwas working as an entry-level sound engineer for a post production studio probably back in 2008. Katt was there working on some movie (would not be able to remember the name of it if my life depended on it) and was there late one night doing color correction or something in one of the video rooms. I was working nights at the time and was using the restroom and someone came in and scolded me loudly in the funniest way for basically stinking the room all to hell. He was like, "OH MAN why you have to destroy the environment like this? GOOD GOD what did you eat?" I was just coming out to the stall and saw it was Mr. Williams. He gave me the funniest look and laughed and I laughed back. I’ve thought fondly of him since.

justpassingthrough

• Rep: 4
« Reply #2275 on: August 04, 2023, 08:03:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

The dream
[close]

Big benefit from starting out pushing mongo. Switch pushes come really naturally, although i can't push mongo in either stance anymore, feels too awkward.
  Same for me. Been telling my friends what you said about pushing switch too, I can't do it Mongo. Also, for me, when I realized that Mongo was not acceptable,  it took me a good month or so to get comfortable pushing with my back foot, it was basically the equivalent to learning a trick.

Fartknocker415

• Rep: -45
« Reply #2276 on: August 04, 2023, 08:14:31 AM »

Saw him live on a show I was working on and he blew me away. Always thought he was sort of funny but after seeing him live he was the funniest MFer ever. And heS a real one fasho

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -226
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2277 on: August 04, 2023, 08:31:06 AM »
Hockey is modern day Zero with a less skilled team.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

changed1

« Reply #2278 on: August 04, 2023, 09:07:20 AM »
Skating sucks in the winter. Atleast where I live. Never being able to skate because of the snow unless you’re trying to drive far to a parking garage or pay money for a cramped indoor park. Slams are worse. Takes 3x as long to warmup. Skating feels awkward in big jackets and multiple layers but you’re forced to warm up in that stuff on below zero days. The skate homies becomes snowboarders but I can’t afford that shit so I barely see or skate with anyone for a few months. Nose running the entire session. Cold and wind hurting the eyes after awhile. Nearly getting frostbite. Snow melting/rain creating mud lakes everywhere that inevitably claim one deck a season. Griptape peeling up. Seasonal depression making it harder to get hyped in the first place. Getting jealous watching your friends in California or Arizona skate all winter long in 60 degrees while you’re shoveling snow. The fucking wind. School spots are usually a bust compared to summer when schools out. Unavoidable wet areas where you’re forced to step getting your shoe wet and in turn your griptape. The fucking wind again. I could keep going
« Last Edit: August 04, 2023, 09:19:02 AM by changed1 »

ToySanta

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 119
« Reply #2279 on: August 04, 2023, 09:42:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

The dream
[close]

[close]
  Same for me. Been telling my friends what you said about pushing switch too, I can't do it Mongo. Also, for me, when I realized that Mongo was not acceptable,  it took me a good month or so to get comfortable pushing with my back foot, it was basically the equivalent to learning a trick.

Also like writing (or attempting to write) with your opposite hand.