Author Topic: 2023 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 177268 times)

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 802
Re: 2023 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #2430 on: August 21, 2023, 03:51:05 AM »
both the nike sb nyjah shoe (current one) and the asics gel flexkee seem like great skate shoes performance-wise and look good in the right colorways. they don't fit my style but they're nowhere near as bad looking as people say

manysnakes

« Reply #2431 on: August 21, 2023, 04:51:18 AM »
both the nike sb nyjah shoe (current one) and the asics gel flexkee seem like great skate shoes performance-wise and look good in the right colorways. they don't fit my style but they're nowhere near as bad looking as people say

I intend to try the Nyjahs at some point when I find them for the right price. Unfortunately for the Jah, I’m stocked up on skate shoes for the entire year so nothing happening at this time.

JugeL

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2432 on: August 21, 2023, 05:48:35 AM »
Tbh Nyjahs were pretty shitty shoe for me. I don't know if the new ones have same weird heel that makes your ankles roll easily but i fucking hated that. Didn't also last me that long for premium price shoe but i tend to blow up my kickflip spot quite fast

manysnakes

« Reply #2433 on: August 21, 2023, 07:32:17 AM »
Tbh Nyjahs were pretty shitty shoe for me. I don't know if the new ones have same weird heel that makes your ankles roll easily

That's good to know. I appreciate a good minimalist shoe and I thought these looked kinda techy minimalist, so I wanted to give them a try, but it sounds like it's the exact opposite.

apport

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 293
« Reply #2434 on: August 21, 2023, 07:58:34 AM »
Boss Baby Netflix show >>>>>> Boss Baby movie
which boss baby movie, the first one or Family Business?

kook1234

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #2435 on: August 21, 2023, 12:45:47 PM »
Tbh Nyjahs were pretty shitty shoe for me. I don't know if the new ones have same weird heel that makes your ankles roll easily but i fucking hated that. Didn't also last me that long for premium price shoe but i tend to blow up my kickflip spot quite fast

this was my experience with the 2s.  I was disappointed but still think they look cool

JamesFardy

• Rep: 66
    • Gyfcat.com avatar image
« Reply #2436 on: August 21, 2023, 04:58:40 PM »
Eli reed has the worst “pro skater Instagram” and there isn’t a close 2nd.

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -417
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #2437 on: August 21, 2023, 08:34:07 PM »
Skaters hugely underestimate the impact strength and athleticism has on your skating abilities. I lifted weights for a bit when I was a teenager and the difference was night and day. My first session after squatting for the first time was mind-blowing. Pop was so effortless I felt like I was riding a snowboard, like the board was just jumping with me. Now I’m old and it feels so difficult getting my heavy ass setup off the ground and I want to start strength training just to feel normal again. Once pros start doing barbell squats and box jumps and shit skating is gonna be insane. We’ve already normalized stretching (which is hugely beneficial to your skating), why should there be a stigma with lifting weights?

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -322
« Reply #2438 on: August 22, 2023, 05:58:28 AM »
Credit where credit is due, Mikey Taylor is still like the only person to do a front shuv front crook. And it was sick. It sucks to admit it, but there it is.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 873
« Reply #2439 on: August 22, 2023, 06:15:03 AM »
Credit where credit is due, Mikey Taylor is still like the only person to do a front shuv front crook. And it was sick. It sucks to admit it, but there it is.
I feel like there must be a lot of people who have done a front shove front crook at this point (altho maybe you're correct as none from parts come to mind) but I do remember Mikey saying it took him 6 hours to get it and I think if any decent skater dedicated 6 hours straight to that trick they could probably get one.

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2440 on: August 22, 2023, 06:27:28 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I feel like there must be a lot of people who have done a front shove front crook at this point (altho maybe you're correct as none from parts come to mind) but I do remember Mikey saying it took him 6 hours to get it and I think if any decent skater dedicated 6 hours straight to that trick they could probably get one.
I'm sure there are other examples of it and I'm sure there are ledge technicians out there that could do it, but no one has done it as good. Mikey pops the front shuv so good and grinds the whole bench. It's pains me to say this but damn it's a sick trick.

kook1234

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #2441 on: August 22, 2023, 06:44:20 AM »
jeffwonsongs style has improved

steezenking

• Rep: 15
« Reply #2442 on: August 22, 2023, 07:04:39 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I intend to try the Nyjahs at some point when I find them for the right price. Unfortunately for the Jah, I’m stocked up on skate shoes for the entire year so nothing happening at this time.

They cost like 50 bucks on zumiez

manysnakes

« Reply #2443 on: August 22, 2023, 08:18:34 AM »

Mikey is a corny wanna-be real estate influencer who belongs to a right wing church, but there's no point pretending like that dude didn't rip on a skateboard.

https://youtu.be/sVU47Q86q4o?si=N0P-Z0yTVqCLmCOZ

exlurker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 557
« Reply #2444 on: August 22, 2023, 12:10:19 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Mikey is a corny wanna-be real estate influencer who belongs to a right wing church, but there's no point pretending like that dude didn't rip on a skateboard.

https://youtu.be/sVU47Q86q4o?si=N0P-Z0yTVqCLmCOZ

As a lifelong east coaster, when i think about things that are bad about California, I think about Mikey

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 464
« Reply #2445 on: August 22, 2023, 01:19:18 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

A Clydesdale like workhorse

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #2446 on: August 22, 2023, 03:14:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

A Clydesdale like workhorse

Not a fs shove front crook, but hardflip front crook by Fran Molina here. I know people have been doing hardflip fs noseslides since forever so this might be easier than fs shove in. Anyway, thought I might share.
https://youtu.be/L22PerRdarw?t=190

Don't know why video will not embed. Might be the time stamp..
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

ThomasShitt

« Reply #2447 on: August 22, 2023, 04:03:25 PM »
Pretty sure more people have done that trick. Putting it as your ender on a plastic bench is slightly embarrassing tho

ToySanta

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 119
« Reply #2448 on: August 22, 2023, 04:46:58 PM »

Boo Johnson? What do you mean by your quotations?

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 90
« Reply #2449 on: August 23, 2023, 09:10:05 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Does he mean everyone but wes?

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 228
« Reply #2450 on: August 23, 2023, 10:01:48 AM »

He does it pretty straight on with the ledge so it's always stayed lame to me for that reason. Overall awesome part tho.  Mikey was dope when he went by Mike Taylor. Then he got old cut his hair and decided to be a horse named Mikey

35mm

• Rep: 29
« Reply #2451 on: August 23, 2023, 11:36:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
I'm sure there are other examples of it and I'm sure there are ledge technicians out there that could do it, but no one has done it as good. Mikey pops the front shuv so good and grinds the whole bench. It's pains me to say this but damn it's a sick trick.

This whole take irks me so much because my favorite ledge trick ever done is a variation of a fs shove fs crook.
Raul Navarro has quite a fs shove fs crook on video.
This one regular.
https://youtu.be/A2TD_kLAQ0M?t=31
This one switch and super nice
https://youtu.be/8q59LxnuBXg?t=328
But my favorite ever is this fs shove fs crook shove out (the hard way). I only have this dailymotion link (at 0:36).
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x144k7t
Some people may say it is sketchy. For me, the way the shove out bounces against the ledge is absolutely incredible.

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2452 on: August 23, 2023, 12:10:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

This whole take irks me so much because my favorite ledge trick ever done is a variation of a fs shove fs crook.
Raul Navarro has quite a fs shove fs crook on video.
This one regular.
https://youtu.be/A2TD_kLAQ0M?t=31
This one switch and super nice
https://youtu.be/8q59LxnuBXg?t=328
But my favorite ever is this fs shove fs crook shove out (the hard way). I only have this dailymotion link (at 0:36).
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x144k7t
Some people may say it is sketchy. For me, the way the shove out bounces against the ledge is absolutely incredible.
What's your favorite ledge trick?

That first link doesn't work. Content is blocked in my country for some reason. The switch version is cool. But he's just some random euro dude I've never heard of in one of many random euro edits on FreeSkateMag. Sorry, but there are just too many to keep up with and I don't have the bandwidth. I remember when Skate More came out, it's an iconic video of that time.

My point remains it's a ultra rare trick and he made it look really good. I don't hate that he popped from straight-on, almost makes it cooler for me, which I normally don't like.

And trust me, I fucking hate Mikey Taylor, he's objectively awful in almost every way. I don't wanna seem like I'm defending the guy any more than I already am lol. However, have to admit I do love the way he did that trick and I haven't seen a better example yet.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2023, 12:47:41 PM by backside_frontside »

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #2453 on: August 23, 2023, 12:21:04 PM »
First link works just fine. Raul Navarro is a sick af Spanish OG ledge skater, pretty big in Europe during the late 90's and on. Has been featured in almost every major Adidas video.
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #2454 on: August 23, 2023, 12:55:15 PM »
Does switch count? Lucas did one in Fully Flared

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1355
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #2455 on: August 23, 2023, 03:58:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Does he mean everyone but wes?
I think he is implying that since no mainstream brands sponsor Eli, he is not really a pro anymore.

Counterpoint: Eli Reed is a national treasure and he should figure out how to livestream Dancehall parties on Youtube
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Pbn_jake

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 34
« Reply #2456 on: August 23, 2023, 07:09:06 PM »
Does switch count? Lucas did one in Fully Flared

I wanna say someone did one on a handrail regular very recently also

rusty knees

• Rep: -10
  • I had a photo in SLAP
« Reply #2457 on: August 27, 2023, 11:59:57 AM »
switch heelflips in a line is getting close to 360 flips in a line for how common and overused they are.

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #2458 on: August 28, 2023, 07:52:09 AM »
Nick Matthews is a good fit for Anti Hero

PalaceButtPlug

• Rep: -366
« Reply #2459 on: August 28, 2023, 01:17:40 PM »
Nik Stain and Beatrice do the same tricks at different speeds.