Author Topic: 2023 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 177280 times)

JugeL

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: 2023 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #2880 on: November 05, 2023, 09:55:19 AM »
I don't get the laser flip hate. It's just a tre going the other way. The fact that many people don't make them look good isn't the tricks fault, since it can be done nicely.
I have yet to meet person who hates them and can actually do them

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1594
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2881 on: November 05, 2023, 12:22:56 PM »
it's a hard trick and not too many skaters can do them on command, so it's not normalized.  Dashawn is one of the first guys that I've seen do them all the time. 

Luddite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 83
« Reply #2882 on: November 06, 2023, 04:45:17 PM »
Walker Ryan seems kind of annoying and I get why he's not sponsored.

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 746
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2883 on: November 06, 2023, 11:20:02 PM »

I think he’s just too ‘normal.’ Like, he probably watched Lost.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

ToySanta

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 119
« Reply #2884 on: November 07, 2023, 07:00:41 AM »
I don't get the laser flip hate. It's just a tre going the other way. The fact that many people don't make them look good isn't the tricks fault, since it can be done nicely.

This can be said about varial heelflip and inward heelflip, but one is significantly better looking than the other.

With toe-side tricks there’s a flick. There’s more room to manipulate the speed or style or rotation on a 360 flip. Whereas a laser heel, in my opinion, is a fling of the heel and a prayer. You have to kick out in a way that is not aesthetically appealing.

Ignatius J Reilly

• Rep: 240
  • often correct
« Reply #2885 on: November 07, 2023, 08:23:03 AM »
he made his own "my war," i feel like that kind of says a lot. seems like a really nice guy though

Troubadour26

• Rep: 101
« Reply #2886 on: November 07, 2023, 09:44:29 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This can be said about varial heelflip and inward heelflip, but one is significantly better looking than the other.

With toe-side tricks there’s a flick. There’s more room to manipulate the speed or style or rotation on a 360 flip. Whereas a laser heel, in my opinion, is a fling of the heel and a prayer. You have to kick out in a way that is not aesthetically appealing.

I don’t agree with this take. I think any trick has the potential to look good. Every trick has evolved over time. Ishod’s switch lazer flips are really well done so there’s proof the trick can look good.

I want a biomechanics professional to break down for me why exactly switch frontside tricks work so much better.

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #2887 on: November 07, 2023, 09:49:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I don’t agree with this take. I think any trick has the potential to look good. Every trick has evolved over time. Ishod’s switch lazer flips are really well done so there’s proof the trick can look good.

I want a biomechanics professional to break down for me why exactly switch frontside tricks work so much better.
Not a professor but switch frontside is easier to wind up and kind of throw it in front of you, switch backside is more blind.

Troubadour26

« Reply #2888 on: November 07, 2023, 09:52:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
Not a professor but switch frontside is easier to wind up and kind of throw it in front of you, switch backside is more blind.

I just mean as opposed to frontside. Switch frontside bigspins feel really natural for me where a frontside bigspin is super awkward.

since you brought it up, switch backside is by far the most difficult way for me to spin.

mrselfdestruct

• Rep: 17
  • fresh
« Reply #2889 on: November 07, 2023, 10:05:53 AM »
board/lipslides are some of the coolest looking slide tricks.
Mrs Elf is a pretty cool name.

And Mrs Elf destructing is even cooler.

Troubadour26

« Reply #2890 on: November 07, 2023, 10:09:48 AM »

especially on long rails and anything kinked

Rowan’s boardslide in the rain at the Dime street challenge is one of the coolest tricks of all time for me

Heshrat

• Rep: -10
« Reply #2891 on: November 07, 2023, 10:27:12 AM »
This isn’t a popular or unpopular opinion maybe it is, maybe it belongs here or didn’t but I think it’s relevant as skaters. It was something I kind of learned that a lot of us think were the coolest shit because we skate, and eat shit and it don’t phase us . But I think we’re all nerds, geeking about tricks and stuff. Skaters can be into nerdy shit and still get gnarly.. I have a comic book collection and play video games, but when the time comes I go skate. I keep to myself and don’t have that ego anymore than I’m to cool for
Soemthjng else
I did your mom

Heshrat

• Rep: -10
« Reply #2892 on: November 07, 2023, 12:07:32 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Rowan’s boardslide in the rain at the Dime street challenge is one of the coolest tricks of all time for me

That’s like the first trick most of us ever learned after ollie and that’s still the one that tricks, and the evolution of a boardslide is the best shit.. start them on a curb or a box, then flat bar.. then down rail and it’s always evolving and the rail slide  is photogenic as hell
I did your mom

Dojsha Abuser

• Rep: -26
« Reply #2893 on: November 07, 2023, 01:50:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

That’s like the first trick most of us ever learned after ollie and that’s still the one that tricks, and the evolution of a boardslide is the best shit.. start them on a curb or a box, then flat bar.. then down rail and it’s always evolving and the rail slide  is photogenic as hell

word. to fakie.

ToySanta

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 119
« Reply #2894 on: November 07, 2023, 04:00:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

It’s not a trick for me and I’m okay with that. Ima track down one of Ishod’s. He’s got a nonchalance to his style that would make most anything look good.

Phao Lo

• Rep: 56
« Reply #2895 on: November 07, 2023, 04:47:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

It’s not a trick for me and I’m okay with that. Ima track down one of Ishod’s. He’s got a nonchalance to his style that would make most anything look good.

Here's one at the 3:30 mark: https://youtu.be/Jp_uzv0XFaI?feature=shared

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 269
  • sup dog
« Reply #2896 on: November 07, 2023, 05:32:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

well, you see, it has to do with the rotation of the earth, and whether you're in the north or south of equator (look at which way the water spins), and if you're spinning the toilet water direction you're naturally going to spin much better.  It's elementary, you see.   As for Switch, it has to do if you're facing mostly East or mostly West.  And if you're skating True North or True South, you're not going to land it.  Sorry.
I’m not letting my YouTube algorithm anywhere near that video.

Troubadour26

« Reply #2897 on: November 07, 2023, 05:40:39 PM »
I hate the lazer flip by the way. I just didn’t like the explanation of why it doesn’t work.

addie pray

• Rep: -527
  • u a whole goofy
« Reply #2898 on: November 08, 2023, 05:58:23 AM »
board to fakie always cool

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 629
« Reply #2899 on: November 10, 2023, 03:40:15 PM »
Watching SLS right now and Cordano Russel skates like if Nyjah was mediocre at skating. Seems extremely out of place. This opinion is only unpopular because nobody knows who that even is
In case anybody wants to watch:

lurkluke

• Rep: 195
« Reply #2900 on: November 10, 2023, 03:43:28 PM »
Watching SLS right now and Cordano Russel skates like if Nyjah was mediocre at skating. Seems extremely out of place. This opinion is only unpopular because nobody knows who that even is
In case anybody wants to watch:

He skates like it's crossfit
« Last Edit: November 10, 2023, 06:54:06 PM by lurkluke »

Shrinedescender

• Rep: 151
« Reply #2901 on: November 10, 2023, 05:02:19 PM »
Bulldoze the Hollywood 16

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 269
  • sup dog
« Reply #2902 on: November 11, 2023, 07:24:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

word. to fakie.
It’s one big elongated frontside 180, assisted by a rail in the middle drawing out a long pause to just chill and sliiiiiiiide.

Front board to fakie is a nice little surprise at the end like, “hell yeah I know this skating shit. Watch this, not even gonna move my head just going to look back.”
I’m not letting my YouTube algorithm anywhere near that video.

disgruntledMTAEmployee

• Rep: -469
« Reply #2903 on: November 11, 2023, 05:32:22 PM »
i cant fucking stand tom knox hes like an annoying rabbit to me, hopping around and having 9 kids and shit

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
« Reply #2904 on: November 11, 2023, 10:16:07 PM »
Cordano Russel reminds me of Alf

lewisnewton

« Reply #2905 on: November 12, 2023, 12:10:07 AM »
100 foot handrails clips are boring 90 percent of the time. Esp with the nasty cross lock 50. Save em for the hammer section. Are they even worthy? 

kook1234

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #2906 on: November 12, 2023, 05:14:22 PM »
i actually do think jesse pinkman could pull of dyrdek in a biopic motion picture

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 872
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2907 on: November 12, 2023, 05:20:55 PM »
100 foot handrails clips are boring 90 percent of the time. Esp with the nasty cross lock 50. Save em for the hammer section. Are they even worthy?
yeah i fell asleep twice during that rob pace part
no idea if it was the editing or if 20+ rail tricks are too much
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

apport

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 293
« Reply #2908 on: November 12, 2023, 07:04:14 PM »
i actually do think jesse pinkman could pull of dyrdek in a biopic motion picture
aaron paul? or aaron paul as jesse pinkman as dyrdek?

Fakie backsideflip

• Rep: -7
« Reply #2909 on: November 12, 2023, 07:47:40 PM »
Cordano Russel reminds me of Alf

Jamie tancowny maybe the closest looking to Alf .