Author Topic: 2023 Skate/Trend Predictions  (Read 20305 times)

manysnakes

Re: 2023 Skate/Trend Predictions
« Reply #120 on: January 10, 2023, 09:57:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Ride on grinds gotta be going away soon right?
[close]

God, i hope so

Why do people pretend to care about this?

Evrart Claire

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -16
« Reply #121 on: January 10, 2023, 10:03:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

God, i hope so
[close]

Because i want to watch sick video parts, not lame slow-mo rideongrinds. If you filmed more than 2 of those in your career, you are a certified kook

apport

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 291
« Reply #122 on: January 10, 2023, 10:40:54 AM »
*rubbing temples in deep concentration, attempting to conjure images of the future* my prediction, is skinny pants will come back in a major way!!!

Democratic Republic Of Mongo

• Rep: 128
« Reply #123 on: January 10, 2023, 10:54:39 AM »
Expand Quote
korean skateboarders, like who live in South Korea
[close]

Why did you specify, literally what else could you mean by Korean skateboarders

Dennis Rodman brought the supreme NK dictator a Christmas complete and tried to teach him pressure flips via Aaron Kyro YouTube videos. Geopolitics is a messy business.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #124 on: January 10, 2023, 11:31:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
People have been saying skinny is coming back for the last 4 years now. I don't think the paint ons will ever come back. It would have already if it was going to.  I think kids will take parts of that 2000's fallen/supra/zero/baker aesthetic and adapt it to whats happening now. Already seeing baggy jeans with spiked belts, chunk shoes, and tighter/crop top ts.
[close]
I started wearing loose cargos/ workpants again in 2012/13 and forever was like just you watch the baggy pants are coming back and everyone was like hmm maybe a big looser but it will never go back to big baggies and then look what happened.
Give it some time and I'm sure the pants will get super tight again
[close]
We will see. One thing that skinny has against it is that it is undeniably harder to skate in them from an ergonomical standpoint. Baggies came back also because it is an easy way to hide some bad style while tight pants accentuates bad style. Not saying skinnies wont come back for sure but it does have some hurdles that baggies didn't.

Depends on the materials. Most baggy jeans have no stretch and a high rise. Slimmer jeans often have stretch and a lower rise. I can move better in Volcom Vortas (slim fit, low rise, hella stretchy) than Polar 93s (loose fit, high rise, 100% cotton). For what I do both are fine though.

swellbowed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 520
  • ow
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #125 on: January 10, 2023, 02:14:51 PM »
Soap Shoes making a comeback in 2023

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 330
« Reply #126 on: January 10, 2023, 05:12:32 PM »
Like I said in the other thread, skateboarding (as well as every other non essential industry that relies heavily on consumers in the 14-24 age range) is about to get absolutely fucked up by the videogame industry in 2023. So expect a slight price hike to offset that.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 208
« Reply #127 on: January 10, 2023, 05:19:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
People have been saying skinny is coming back for the last 4 years now. I don't think the paint ons will ever come back. It would have already if it was going to.  I think kids will take parts of that 2000's fallen/supra/zero/baker aesthetic and adapt it to whats happening now. Already seeing baggy jeans with spiked belts, chunk shoes, and tighter/crop top ts.
[close]
I started wearing loose cargos/ workpants again in 2012/13 and forever was like just you watch the baggy pants are coming back and everyone was like hmm maybe a big looser but it will never go back to big baggies and then look what happened.
Give it some time and I'm sure the pants will get super tight again
[close]
We will see. One thing that skinny has against it is that it is undeniably harder to skate in them from an ergonomical standpoint. Baggies came back also because it is an easy way to hide some bad style while tight pants accentuates bad style. Not saying skinnies wont come back for sure but it does have some hurdles that baggies didn't.
Flexible skinnies are basically like yoga pants that Nyjah wears.

CanadianBacon

• Rep: -72
« Reply #128 on: January 10, 2023, 05:53:41 PM »
Like I said in the other thread, skateboarding (as well as every other non essential industry that relies heavily on consumers in the 14-24 age range) is about to get absolutely fucked up by the videogame industry in 2023. So expect a slight price hike to offset that.

Can you elaborate??  Big gamer here!!!

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1590
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #129 on: January 10, 2023, 06:07:55 PM »
The egg shape will seep into standard popsicle shapes…..ie. narrower under truck and widen towards the middle of the board….blunted nose/tail….

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #130 on: January 10, 2023, 06:19:56 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

1. Because of pandemic delays, about 3 years worth of big budget releases are coming out this year (I listed most of them in the other thread, not going to do that here).

2. PlayStation head just announced that the PS5 shortage is officially over. So expect a flood of new console owners.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 06:51:24 PM by Lenny the Fatface »

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
« Reply #131 on: January 10, 2023, 07:25:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

1. Because of pandemic delays, about 3 years worth of big budget releases are coming out this year (I listed most of them in the other thread, not going to do that here).

2. PlayStation head just announced that the PS5 shortage is officially over. So expect a flood of new console owners.
This will have zero effect on skateboarding. Anyone who was gonna sit inside all day playing crash Bandicoot or whatever wasn't going to skate anyway

JumpManShorty

• Rep: -86
« Reply #132 on: January 10, 2023, 08:51:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

But it’s also 3 years of already sitting inside playing shit. I’m burnt out of my game

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #133 on: January 10, 2023, 10:03:32 PM »

This will have zero effect on skateboarding. Anyone who was gonna sit inside all day playing crash Bandicoot or whatever wasn't going to skate anyway

You’re looking at it from the perspective of a grown ass man dedicated to skating with disposable income though. The bulk of the skate industry is fueled by the financial decisions of teenagers and early 20-something’s who juggle skating with a wider variety of fleeting interests.

It’s not even about whether a kid is more into skating than gaming, it’s more how the value proposition of videogames shit on a lot of similarly priced activities. The 19 year old college student who typically buys 3-4 decks a year will probably just buy 1-2 because he bought Street Fighter 6 and Final Fantasy 16 during the summer.

But it’s also 3 years of already sitting inside playing shit. I’m burnt out of my game

2020, yes…but beyond that not much has been released in videogames, so much more skating going on.

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 755
« Reply #134 on: January 10, 2023, 10:13:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

God, i hope so
[close]

[close]

Because i want to watch sick video parts, not lame slow-mo rideongrinds. If you filmed more than 2 of those in your career, you are a certified kook

Love ride-on grinds, I’m a “certified kook”

Where do I apply for my certification?

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
« Reply #135 on: January 10, 2023, 11:27:37 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

You’re looking at it from the perspective of a grown ass man dedicated to skating with disposable income though. The bulk of the skate industry is fueled by the financial decisions of teenagers and early 20-something’s who juggle skating with a wider variety of fleeting interests.

It’s not even about whether a kid is more into skating than gaming, it’s more how the value proposition of videogames shit on a lot of similarly priced activities. The 19 year old college student who typically buys 3-4 decks a year will probably just buy 1-2 because he bought Street Fighter 6 and Final Fantasy 16 during the summer.

Expand Quote

[close]

2020, yes…but beyond that not much has been released in videogames, so much more skating going on.
Yeah I just don't see it. It's been the same every console since Xbox came out and the skate industry never got "absolutely fucked up"

Evrart Claire

• Rep: -16
« Reply #136 on: January 11, 2023, 12:39:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

God, i hope so
[close]

[close]

[close]

Apply at [email protected]

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 624
« Reply #137 on: January 11, 2023, 02:18:54 AM »
Walker Ryan on World Industries

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 755
« Reply #138 on: January 11, 2023, 02:22:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

God, i hope so
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
Apply at [email protected]

Sent.  Ty.

livin on a speyer

« Reply #139 on: January 11, 2023, 04:38:49 AM »
Quitting skateboarding.

apport

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 291
« Reply #140 on: January 11, 2023, 05:20:41 AM »
unmm idiot you’re forgetting that SKINNY PANTS are coming back, once companies start dropping skinny pants the skateboarding industry will go through an unprecedented boom. if anything the video game industry will be absolutely fucked up by skateboarding.

Democratic Republic Of Mongo

• Rep: 128
« Reply #141 on: January 11, 2023, 10:24:44 AM »
Farm skating. Like wallrides on giant pumpkins, bs smith a tractor, etc.

manysnakes

« Reply #142 on: January 11, 2023, 10:45:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Agreed, this will have no noticeable impact whatsoever, but I am excited to finally get Zelda BOTW 2.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1310
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #143 on: January 11, 2023, 10:54:27 AM »
Skimmed the emerica thread just now and I'm gonna throw a wildcard prediction that Spanky will be on NB by the end of the year. Basing this on a hunch, obvious reynolds connection, him skating with Tom K and Jordan T, him having a kid, and for some reason the Ace/justin reynolds/chad tim tim camp seems to be a NB pipeline to me.

OneMore

• Rep: -3
« Reply #144 on: January 11, 2023, 11:44:02 AM »
Soft wheels

I think so too. I'm thinking nice lines of clean flatground done with big soft wheels. Maybe some 5050s and nosegrinds/5-0s mixed in as well.

manysnakes

« Reply #145 on: January 11, 2023, 11:50:36 AM »
Skimmed the emerica thread just now and I'm gonna throw a wildcard prediction that Spanky will be on NB by the end of the year. Basing this on a hunch, obvious reynolds connection, him skating with Tom K and Jordan T, him having a kid, and for some reason the Ace/justin reynolds/chad tim tim camp seems to be a NB pipeline to me.

I don't see New Balance giving him a signature shoe, which he does have with Emerica. I have no idea how things work but I imagine that is seen as moving backwards within the skateboard industry.

stringsnthings

• Rep: -48
« Reply #146 on: January 11, 2023, 12:02:16 PM »
More off road skating/ Big boy set ups and doing tricks into down his dirt trails or riding rocks and trees

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #147 on: January 11, 2023, 12:26:38 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I don't see New Balance giving him a signature shoe, which he does have with Emerica. I have no idea how things work but I imagine that is seen as moving backwards within the skateboard industry.

Safe assumption that not having a shoe on NB would still net you more money than having a shoe on Emerica would.

Pipe Dreamer

• Rep: 24
  • Slap hard Slap often
« Reply #148 on: January 11, 2023, 01:09:10 PM »
Cavemanning into b/s tricks on handrails like tail/lip slide, smith will become popular a bit like tail grab nose grind was a few years back.

IpathCats

« Reply #149 on: January 11, 2023, 01:19:29 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

Seems like a reach man.

Skateboarding is not riding on the type of people that would prioritize gaming in that way

For every situation like the one you mentioned there will be someone who picks up skating or starts skating more.