Author Topic: Dumb things you thought about skateboarding when you were a kid  (Read 17963 times)

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2323
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
Re: Dumb things you thought about skateboarding when you were a kid
« Reply #180 on: March 03, 2023, 07:03:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I had a lemon yellow pair of Fuct jeans that I thought were cool.
[close]
Depending on when you’re talkin’ about, your lemon yellow FUCT jeans actually were really cool.
92-93 and prior, you was hot shnitz, baby.
Hold high your regal head.
Elsewise, you prolly looked like a goof.
[close]
Appreciate you giving me an out, and I can only be grateful that no photographic documentation (to my knowledge) exists. This would have been 1992. They cracked the $50 mark at Surf Berkeley, which was an outrageous amount to pay for a pair of pants that make you look like you dumpster dived behind the clown shop.
Hah!!! Surf Berkeley was my shop too.
I loved Dub & Tun; those dudes were super solid & always treated me right. Prolly cause I spent every spare cent I had in their shop.
Disclaimer: I may be trying to protect my own self esteem with that previous statement, but I too was buying/wearing Fuct pants from Surf Berkeley at that time, & I felt like a miniature Natas in those things, so I'm pretty sure we were actually looking fresh as all get out for the time period.  Would have been Limpies all day, every day for me just prior to that (again, because Natas) but they may have been done by 92/93, so Fuct it was. And Ghetto Wear!   :o
You may continue to judge yourself harshly, but in my minds eye, you were looking fly.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2023, 09:12:52 PM by Lou Strux »

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Loady McGee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 57
« Reply #181 on: March 05, 2023, 08:27:21 AM »
Rode late 90s/early 00s boards backwards because I thought the big kick was the tail like an 80s board
Same.

The first time I watched a skate video as a kid (some 411vm in the 90's), I genuinely believed that all the fish eye footage was sped up. I didn't know what a fish eye lens was or how it worked to distort distances and therefore the perception of speed.

The first time I read Bobby Puleo's name I read it fast as "Puelo" and thought that was his name for the longest time. I still have a brain meltdown every time I'm saying or typing his name (like now).

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 501
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #182 on: March 05, 2023, 12:39:30 PM »
-Didn't realize the pro's in THPS/Skate got paid to be in the games. I thought they did it just cause they wanted to be in it that bad
Some did, in the later games at least, which fucked up the pay rates for the rest of them.
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 662
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #183 on: March 05, 2023, 02:12:41 PM »
I thought skateboarders were cool.
I thought working in the skate industry would be a good career.
And, I thought mongo was the proper way to push on a skateboard.

I couldn't have been more wrong about all three.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

brent

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 741
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #184 on: March 05, 2023, 02:59:27 PM »
i thought that you had to push backwards to go fakie
This armor plating is going to get a little more diesel.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1154
« Reply #185 on: March 05, 2023, 06:06:30 PM »
Expand Quote
-Didn't realize the pro's in THPS/Skate got paid to be in the games. I thought they did it just cause they wanted to be in it that bad
[close]
Some did, in the later games at least, which fucked up the pay rates for the rest of them.

So for the first 3 games, the pros got royalties. A percentage of every sale. Those games sold 10s of millions of copies at an average of 50$ each. so if that got 1% of that. They’re golden.

When 4 came out, some one not in The game offered to do it for free for the first exposure and activision renegotiated everyone to a flat rate

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 883
« Reply #186 on: March 05, 2023, 07:45:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

So for the first 3 games, the pros got royalties. A percentage of every sale. Those games sold 10s of millions of copies at an average of 50$ each. so if that got 1% of that. They’re golden.

When 4 came out, some one not in The game offered to do it for free for the first exposure and activision renegotiated everyone to a flat rate
So it was Mike v?

ish_wav

• Rep: 101
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #187 on: March 05, 2023, 08:35:16 PM »
I used to think X board was better than Y board. I came to find out all the boards I thought “sucked” as a kid were all pressed at the same factory as my favorite boards I ever had. “Yeah dude, Krookeds snap way too fast, I only skate Real and Baker”

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1154
« Reply #188 on: March 06, 2023, 07:09:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
So it was Mike v?

Digging for 10 year old quotes:
https://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2014/09/02/the-andrew-reynolds-interview-2/
You were a character in the Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater video games. Did you make some nice money off of that?
Well, for the first game they gave all the characters royalties off of how many games were sold. Then after that, everybody saw that the characters were getting really noticed off of this game. There was a time, when a quarter or more of the kids at demos would say, “Oh I play you on Tony Hawk!” not, “I saw your newest video part!” So for the first game, everybody got paid. Elissa Steamer, myself, whoever else was in it, we were laughing – we got like one check for royalties that was like $190,000 or something. We were like what! This is amazing! But then some pro skater, I don’t know who, went in to the offices and wanted to be in the game too. He told them he didn’t care about the money, he would be in the game for free. So management was like, well.. these guys will do it for free, let’s just give them a flat rate for the next game. So that’s what they started offering for the next games. It was a flat rate of 10k or something… But what are you gonna say, you know? I wasn’t in any position or felt like telling them that I didn’t want the 10k. And it was such a big game, so everyone said yeah. I really love that Elissa Steamer got $190,000 out of it too [laughs] that’s my favorite part.

I don't remember seeing mike V ever specifically mention so I can't throw him under the bus. Reynolds makes a more sanitized statement in his nine club, leaving out the part about how an unnamed pro offered to do it free.

manysnakes

« Reply #189 on: March 06, 2023, 07:17:50 AM »
I'm just gonna say it's Mike V anyway.

xandeo

• Rep: 7
« Reply #190 on: March 06, 2023, 07:21:19 AM »
1) The first skate clip I ever saw was a skate contest on EuroSport, must have been a Vans Triple Crown or something in around 1997 or 1998. In there, there was a certain Rick McCrank who did a beautiful fs flip and the commentator said "Rick busting a frontside ninja flip..." I had recorded the contest and for a while it was the only skate clip I ever saw, so I obviously thought that the trick was called frontside ninja flip.

2) My buddy and me realized that éS and Etnies looked very similar in some ways, and thought that éS was simply short for étnieS for a while.

Skateboard media was non-apparent in our neck of the woods :D

NoComply180

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -468
  • Objectivity police
« Reply #191 on: March 06, 2023, 07:22:44 AM »
A meth smoking convicted sex offender who worked the register at the shop I went to in 2001 told me he filmed Steve Olson kickflip 5050 shove it out the Hollywood 16 and I believed him

Him ah fall off building an bumboclot him legs

HeavyAndExpensive

• Rep: 122
« Reply #192 on: March 06, 2023, 07:23:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Rode late 90s/early 00s boards backwards because I thought the big kick was the tail like an 80s board
[close]
Same.

The first time I watched a skate video as a kid (some 411vm in the 90's), I genuinely believed that all the fish eye footage was sped up. I didn't know what a fish eye lens was or how it worked to distort distances and therefore the perception of speed.

The first time I read Bobby Puleo's name I read it fast as "Puelo" and thought that was his name for the longest time. I still have a brain meltdown every time I'm saying or typing his name (like now).

I still do this with Rune "Gilfberg"

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #193 on: March 06, 2023, 07:54:56 AM »
A meth smoking convicted sex offender who worked the register at the shop I went to in 2001 told me he filmed Steve Olson kickflip 5050 shove it out the Hollywood 16 and I believed him

thats a mouthful there

Banned from the room

« Reply #194 on: March 06, 2023, 07:58:45 AM »
Black wheels are a rougher ride. All they are is faster Bryan

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 883
« Reply #195 on: March 06, 2023, 08:28:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
So it was Mike v?
[close]

Digging for 10 year old quotes:
https://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2014/09/02/the-andrew-reynolds-interview-2/
Expand Quote
You were a character in the Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater video games. Did you make some nice money off of that?
Well, for the first game they gave all the characters royalties off of how many games were sold. Then after that, everybody saw that the characters were getting really noticed off of this game. There was a time, when a quarter or more of the kids at demos would say, “Oh I play you on Tony Hawk!” not, “I saw your newest video part!” So for the first game, everybody got paid. Elissa Steamer, myself, whoever else was in it, we were laughing – we got like one check for royalties that was like $190,000 or something. We were like what! This is amazing! But then some pro skater, I don’t know who, went in to the offices and wanted to be in the game too. He told them he didn’t care about the money, he would be in the game for free. So management was like, well.. these guys will do it for free, let’s just give them a flat rate for the next game. So that’s what they started offering for the next games. It was a flat rate of 10k or something… But what are you gonna say, you know? I wasn’t in any position or felt like telling them that I didn’t want the 10k. And it was such a big game, so everyone said yeah. I really love that Elissa Steamer got $190,000 out of it too [laughs] that’s my favorite part.
[close]

I don't remember seeing mike V ever specifically mention so I can't throw him under the bus. Reynolds makes a more sanitized statement in his nine club, leaving out the part about how an unnamed pro offered to do it free.
Well only reason I said Mike v is because I think he was the only name added for the 4th game. I think it was Mullen, Cab, Koston 2nd and bam in the 3rd.

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #196 on: March 06, 2023, 09:05:14 AM »
i could see it being Mike V. Also... did anyone unlock him and just skate around without doing tricks while listening to Rollins band?
I totally did and it made me laugh

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #197 on: March 06, 2023, 09:10:22 AM »

I mean, at the time Steve probably would have been crazy enough to try it.

Whether he’d land it or not is another thing though.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -226
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #198 on: March 06, 2023, 09:43:57 AM »
I thought Gullwings were good.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1434
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #199 on: March 06, 2023, 09:51:12 AM »
I thought Gullwings were good.

ha same, was my second pair of trucks, traded in my ventures for the buddies colored gullwings cause they looked cool. i still have them, found them again last time i visited my parents. now i could build a 7.5 deck with these and i kind of want to know if they turn.

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #200 on: March 06, 2023, 09:53:36 AM »
I bought some full wing street shadows cuz Hensley rode them (or some Gullwings at least). Used one time

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 310
« Reply #201 on: March 06, 2023, 11:55:06 AM »
Because ollies seemed impossible (and they probably were on a 10” wide board with 3” tail and 60mm wheels) I thought I should concentrate on the “lift your nose, then lift your tail with your nose” technique to get up curbs.

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 237
« Reply #202 on: March 06, 2023, 03:18:52 PM »
i thought a lipslide was just a boardslide on a ledge

it was because the surf shop in my town, where i bought all my skate gear, had a poster of someone lipsliding a hubba, but it was just a big still with a caption, no sequence to show me what actually happened

i asked the guy at the counter and he just said "no, i think a lip slide is something different." it was a while before i figured it out reading magazines. that's what happens when your local shop run by surfers who don't really skate.

CAPTAIN NOBODY

« Reply #203 on: March 06, 2023, 03:27:45 PM »
I used to call Chad Muska “Chad Mooska” around the 10-11 year old range. Then some older dude corrected me. Thank you Stan!

imburntyerburntwhocares

• Rep: -6
« Reply #204 on: March 06, 2023, 05:00:41 PM »
I thought it'd make me cool...nope!

aleksander

• Rep: 131
« Reply #205 on: March 06, 2023, 06:31:41 PM »
At the shop I worked at, Marc Johnson seemed genuinely honored to have received a shop tee from our boss, and said he loved the simple design so much he was going to wear it in Yeah Right. The owner was ecstatic and Marc kept bro-ing down, eventually talking him into signing off on this MASSIVE Matix purchase. Thousands of ugly-ass matix shirts in like peach and lime-green came in. 2 weeks later we were having these 50% off, BOGO sales out of these giant Matix bins we had to construct just to hold all the shirts. The owner was pretty embarrassed because that one sale fucked him up so bad he almost lost the shop. MJ of course never wore the shirt in anything.
"Let's just do something stupid and ridiculous and just be as fucking regular as we possibly can."

manysnakes

« Reply #206 on: March 06, 2023, 08:20:26 PM »
At the shop I worked at, Marc Johnson seemed genuinely honored to have received a shop tee from our boss, and said he loved the simple design so much he was going to wear it in Yeah Right. The owner was ecstatic and Marc kept bro-ing down, eventually talking him into signing off on this MASSIVE Matix purchase. Thousands of ugly-ass matix shirts in like peach and lime-green came in. 2 weeks later we were having these 50% off, BOGO sales out of these giant Matix bins we had to construct just to hold all the shirts. The owner was pretty embarrassed because that one sale fucked him up so bad he almost lost the shop. MJ of course never wore the shirt in anything.

LMAO

GrayCellGreen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #207 on: March 06, 2023, 10:42:58 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Same.

Glad I’m not the only one who made this mistake.

Bigfoot is real

« Reply #208 on: March 07, 2023, 03:21:53 AM »
I never thought transition was cool and that it was, with no real basis in experience, easier than filming street parts. Boy was I wrong and now I suck at it.

Far from relevant

• Rep: -100
« Reply #209 on: March 07, 2023, 05:43:52 AM »
That pro skaters didn't use drugs or alcohol as performance enhancers