Author Topic: Tyre Nichols RIP (police brutality trigger warning)  (Read 15580 times)

Dark Knight

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 363
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.

Puddy Smally

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 111
Re: Tyre Nichols RIP (police brutality trigger warning)
« Reply #121 on: January 28, 2023, 02:42:26 PM »
A lot of, if not all inequalities in this country have been simmering below the surface, and are coming to a head. People are tired of being abused financially and physically under the thumb of an unjust system. Cops are brutal enough as is. I’ve seen teenage friends clubbed for running away during high school party bust ups. I couldn’t even imagine adding a darker skin color to the equation, and the targeted violence that results from just existing as you are.

Sure, In this instance the pigs were black too, but it doesn’t change the fact that white nationalists have infiltrated law enforcement agencies in staggering numbers. Look no further than the difference between January 6th protestor treatment, vs BLM protestor treatment. This shit needs to stop, and I don’t care at what extreme cost it takes for us all to exist on a level playing field.

I hope those protesting in major cities do exactly as they see fit to fight for the right not to be abused, maimed or killed to satiate some sadistic power hungry fuck’s thirst for violence.

Do you get deja vu, huh?

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 217
« Reply #122 on: January 28, 2023, 02:48:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Just read the wikipedia article on this and I'm feeling sick.

Can someone explain this to me(european)?
"As of January 27, all five men have posted bail and been released, according to Shelby County Jail records."

How are these people allowed to walk freely? You can murder someone, pay the bail and just go home (for some time)?
[close]

In America we have different types of criminal justice systems.

If you're rich, have political connections, or are a cop you get treated one way.

Everyone else gets the second system.

No joke, I've read about really bizarre sentenencing, like a former NFL cheerleader got weekends in jail for having sex with an underage kid.

Does your country have a bail system? I just assumed most European countries had a similar justice system (based on the doctrine of presumption of innocence). The bail for murder is way more, but I'm sure their police union has some sort of provision for covering that.

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 691
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #123 on: January 28, 2023, 02:55:35 PM »
Not tryna hear that copaganda about the "good cops". If you have 10 cops, and only 2 of them are bad, and the other 8 don't say anything about the 2 bad ones, then you have 10 bad cops.

American police culture enables stuff like this to happen again and again.

Agreed. I'm just a guy, and I don't know exactly what] steps and things need to be done, but I know damn well that something has to change. If nothing changes, nothing changes, and this shit keeps fucking happening.

It might be helpful if more people knew what happened behind the scenes, at the very least, it certainly cant hurt.
This episode of Behind the Bastards is an (at times) entertaining resource and informative tool as to why all cops are bastards even if some didn't start out that way:

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/105-behind-the-bastards-29236323/episode/the-man-who-teaches-our-cops-63257870/

While I'm here, fuck iheart too, but BTB did a multiple part series entitled Behind the Police that also great and I think a few episodes on why police unions are the worst fucking things ever.
I have been re-listening to BTB while putzing around the house sick as a dog (not covid!) and just caught up to their 2020 episodes sooooo it's pretty fresh in my head.

Hope that wasn't too much of a derail and someone finds it helpful.
Stay safe anyone in the streets out there.

Edit:

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/jason-whitlock-says-tyre-nichols-died-because-officers-were-supervised-by-a-single-black-woman-which-isnt-even-true/

Isn’t this some bullshit?

What the fuck? How do the people who believe this rationalize their beliefs?
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #124 on: January 28, 2023, 02:59:58 PM »
https://www.mediaite.com/tv/jason-whitlock-says-tyre-nichols-died-because-officers-were-supervised-by-a-single-black-woman-which-isnt-even-true/

Isn’t this some bullshit?

He really is one of the stupidest motherfuckers on earth. Just a brain wrecked by CTE and right wing memes. A pile of shit for a human, just worthless. Tucker too.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #125 on: January 28, 2023, 03:07:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Just read the wikipedia article on this and I'm feeling sick.

Can someone explain this to me(european)?
"As of January 27, all five men have posted bail and been released, according to Shelby County Jail records."

How are these people allowed to walk freely? You can murder someone, pay the bail and just go home (for some time)?
[close]

In America we have different types of criminal justice systems.

If you're rich, have political connections, or are a cop you get treated one way.

Everyone else gets the second system.

No joke, I've read about really bizarre sentenencing, like a former NFL cheerleader got weekends in jail for having sex with an underage kid.
[close]

Does your country have a bail system? I just assumed most European countries had a similar justice system (based on the doctrine of presumption of innocence). The bail for murder is way more, but I'm sure their police union has some sort of provision for covering that.

bail systems are pretty common. but in many countries for stuff like (second degree) murder there will be no bail or it will be hard to get. i.e. in germany you can get bail approved by a judge, but if you are a murder suspect, that's highly unlikely, as some judge has to allow it first. and they usually don't with crimes this severe unless there is little to no ground to hold the suspect for longer. so getting bail granted usually means they are pretty sure you're not the one. 

dill8849

• Rep: -41
« Reply #126 on: January 28, 2023, 05:32:12 PM »
Guys, let's be brutally honest. Protesting isn't going to do shit. Do something more proactive. Vote, go to city council meetings, talk to your representatives in person (yes you can do that), volunteer, etc.

RIP Tyre Nichols.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 701
« Reply #127 on: January 28, 2023, 06:26:55 PM »
Guys, let's be brutally honest. Protesting isn't going to do shit. Do something more proactive. Vote, go to city council meetings, talk to your representatives in person (yes you can do that), volunteer, etc.

RIP Tyre Nichols.

people have been trying all of the above for generations. its going to take a new level of all of the above, some creative approaches to protest and a demand to re-think policing from the ground up.

After watching the video a few times, at first it seemed like the cops did not think they were doing anything wrong. now i am wondering if some of the language and how they used it  indicates a pre-meditated attack? "show me you hands" and "put your hands behind your back" while clearly not allowing him to do so. then in the chit chat afterwards, knowing they are being recorded, saying "he reached for so and sos gun." i didn't see any way he could have done reached for anyone's gun with five cops pounding the shit out of him. that arrest attempt was looked so awkward with the cops foundering, injuring themselves and spraying each other with pepper spray while pretending to be unable to subdue Tyre. it just didn't look legit. five big dudes like that could have apprehend him and arrested him way more efficiently and safely if they'd wanted to. i don't think they wanted to (obvious as that sounds)

I now think they knew very well what they were doing and that their language and behavior during and after was very intentional and intended to make it look like he was violent thug, "high as mother fucker." this reeks of something really fucking sinister and pre-meditated. I wonder if the details leading up to this will ever come to light?

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
« Reply #128 on: January 28, 2023, 06:58:30 PM »

RIP Tyre Nichols.
To be honest I’m not sure what the point of protesting right now is. I mean, the bad cops were arrested super fast and charged with real crimes. That’s why we were all in the streets in 2020, to get accountability.

I know it shouldn’t have happened in the first place and training is obviously bad there, but I think long prison sentences will have more of a deterrent effect than a protest. I guess it’s good to let people know we’re still paying attention. I dunno, not sure what the best plan is here do feel free to ignore.

Skatebrain

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rep: 14
« Reply #129 on: January 28, 2023, 07:15:56 PM »
Like most things there is an economic issue here.   People who get bachelors degrees in criminal justice and are top tier candidates get police jobs in the suburbs for higher pay.    Many major cities only require a high school degree and enrollment in police academies.   You have either candidates who can’t get s better job or ones who are bullies and want to be close to the “action”.  Obviously more to it than this.  We also can’t arm police officers like combat soldiers and then be surprised when they find enemies.   Such a sad story.   

realitycontrol

• Rep: 237
  • "only when i breathe"
« Reply #130 on: January 29, 2023, 12:13:12 AM »
After watching the video a few times, at first it seemed like the cops did not think they were doing anything wrong. now i am wondering if some of the language and how they used it  indicates a pre-meditated attack? "show me you hands" and "put your hands behind your back" while clearly not allowing him to do so. then in the chit chat afterwards, knowing they are being recorded, saying "he reached for so and sos gun." i didn't see any way he could have done reached for anyone's gun with five cops pounding the shit out of him. that arrest attempt was looked so awkward with the cops foundering, injuring themselves and spraying each other with pepper spray while pretending to be unable to subdue Tyre. it just didn't look legit. five big dudes like that could have apprehend him and arrested him way more efficiently and safely if they'd wanted to. i don't think they wanted to (obvious as that sounds)

I now think they knew very well what they were doing and that their language and behavior during and after was very intentional and intended to make it look like he was violent thug, "high as mother fucker." this reeks of something really fucking sinister and pre-meditated. I wonder if the details leading up to this will ever come to light?

Someone mentioned that the cops said all of that to fool the people who would eventually watch the body cams. They made it sound like he was resisting. They didn’t realize there was that overhead street camera.
"Judging by the state of the economy and world at large, looks like we get to be the fucked generation." - Mouth

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 321
« Reply #131 on: January 29, 2023, 02:33:15 AM »
30 years old this year…

May your death be the tipping point, Tyre

https://youtu.be/tnlplHQqE3I
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #132 on: January 29, 2023, 05:00:17 AM »
Like most things there is an economic issue here.   People who get bachelors degrees in criminal justice and are top tier candidates get police jobs in the suburbs for higher pay.    Many major cities only require a high school degree and enrollment in police academies.   You have either candidates who can’t get s better job or ones who are bullies and want to be close to the “action”.  Obviously more to it than this.  We also can’t arm police officers like combat soldiers and then be surprised when they find enemies.   Such a sad story.   

Two of the cops who sat by and watched George Floyd get murdered were sociology majors who joined the force to affect change and then watched their superior choke a man to death without intervening.

able

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 636
  • omm nom
    • able Skate Mag avatar image
« Reply #133 on: January 29, 2023, 05:04:10 AM »
Expand Quote
heard a rumor that tyre had sex w/ one of the cops' wives and that's why it was personal [not everyone gets beat up or beat up that bad]. i don't know if it was a flippant comment or the cops had history w/ the kid or what.
did anyone protest/riot last night?
[close]

From watching the videos last night it really did seem like this was personal and not some random encounter. It would explain why he would have bolted away so quick at the traffic stop. Even the way he's pleading to the officers, it's screaming mercy. Like okay I get it, I did what I did, now can you stop it.

Wtf are y’all going on about? This is exactly why the internet is full of BS and lies. Offer some proof or stfu
ableSkateMag.com

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #134 on: January 29, 2023, 06:48:24 AM »
I have an in law whos a cop who choses to have the whole "you guys wouldn't understand so I will just stay out of these discussions" attitude and I hate him for it more than if he would just be honest in defending his shitty colleagues. Brutality and abuse of power is expected at this point from police. The sad part isn't that, its the continued inaction and silence from those who still want to be seen as "a good one." Shit like this shouldn't be solely on the rest of us to call out.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2152
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #135 on: January 29, 2023, 08:07:52 AM »
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 701
« Reply #136 on: January 29, 2023, 08:31:29 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Someone mentioned that the cops said all of that to fool the people who would eventually watch the body cams. They made it sound like he was resisting. They didn’t realize there was that overhead street camera.

makes complete sense.

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #137 on: January 29, 2023, 11:51:42 AM »
He had a really good frontside lip slide.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #138 on: January 29, 2023, 09:09:57 PM »
https://runforsomething.net/

If anyone wants to run for local office, I'll donate 100 bucks to almost anyone from SLAP. If Mikey Taylor's dumbass can do it, literally anyone can.

Better yet, I imagine most of our partners or spouses would be better candidates than us, so I'll donate to almost anyone's spouse as well.

(I wanted to run for local office prior to my divorce and I wish I would have know there was this org trying to help left leaning candidates get into office.)

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 691
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #139 on: January 30, 2023, 06:07:40 AM »
https://runforsomething.net/

If anyone wants to run for local office, I'll donate 100 bucks to almost anyone from SLAP. If Mikey Taylor's dumbass can do it, literally anyone can.

Better yet, I imagine most of our partners or spouses would be better candidates than us, so I'll donate to almost anyone's spouse as well.

(I wanted to run for local office prior to my divorce and I wish I would have know there was this org trying to help left leaning candidates get into office.)

Thanks for posting that resource, I’ve wished there was something like this for a long time
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

GrayCellGreen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 270
« Reply #140 on: January 30, 2023, 07:27:12 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Two of the cops who sat by and watched George Floyd get murdered were sociology majors who joined the force to affect change and then watched their superior choke a man to death without intervening.

This right here disproves the idea that an individual can come into the police force and affect change from the inside. I can't believe that there are still people who believe this.

charade

• Rep: 1
« Reply #141 on: January 30, 2023, 08:25:56 AM »
I donated to the GoFundMe me (and saw a legendary skater did too which was great to see) but I hope some companies do limited-edition stuff with the families permission with proceeds going to them.

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 759
« Reply #142 on: January 30, 2023, 10:35:15 AM »
I donated to the GoFundMe me (and saw a legendary skater did too which was great to see) but I hope some companies do limited-edition stuff with the families permission with proceeds going to them.

Five hanging pigs in the style of the Klansman please Jim T. if your reading this.

Edit: in the style of the hanging Klansman deck, i think Natas did the original graffic. Of course this pigs aren't kkk but they should swing from a tree branch by thier necks.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2023, 12:06:18 PM by Síota »

swellbowed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 462
  • ow
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.

Cuban_Lynx

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1421
  • I got the internet goin' nuts
« Reply #144 on: January 31, 2023, 04:46:56 AM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/CoDx-gJuDgA/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
I’ve been hearing this all over, but haven’t seen any hard evidence. If true, would all 5 be charged with first degree murder?

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -200
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #145 on: January 31, 2023, 04:51:45 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Five hanging pigs in the style of the Klansman please Jim T. if your reading this.

Edit: in the style of the hanging Klansman deck, i think Natas did the original graffic. Of course this pigs aren't kkk but they should swing from a tree branch by thier necks.

We’re really advocating for having 5 black men hanging from branches? Yeah, no. Hard disagree.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal

GrayCellGreen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 270
« Reply #147 on: January 31, 2023, 07:29:09 AM »
I’ve been hearing this all over, but haven’t seen any hard evidence. If true, would all 5 be charged with first degree murder?

I recall a similar kind of rumor going around shortly after the George Floyd situation went down that Derek Chauvin had multiple run-ins Floyd prior to everything going down. Can't recall if there was ever evidence presented to substantiate those claims. I watched the Derek Chauvin trial all the way through and don't remember if this ever came up or not.

Cuban_Lynx

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1421
  • I got the internet goin' nuts
« Reply #148 on: January 31, 2023, 08:26:58 AM »
^I've just seen rumors floating all around the web, but no proof. The randomness of the assault and the severity of his beating does make it look personal, but this mostly seems like a baseless rumor.

swellbowed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 462
  • ow