Author Topic: Do you hide your adult skateboarding activities from other adults?  (Read 10759 times)

Logic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 36
Re: Do you hide your adult skateboarding activities from other adults?
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2023, 11:54:31 AM »
I hide it from work, especially after having a run in with a manager that tried telling me I wasn't allowed to skateboard anymore after having to take time off for an injury.

lurker_and_poster

• Rep: 28
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2023, 11:56:19 AM »
Seeing a few of y’all mention that you are closeted about your skateboarding 2023 is pretty shocking.  Do you ever plan on living your truth, like will you come out at 60 and leave your family to crash on the floor at a skate house?   How many of you are skateboarding Peter’s, denying that you know the savior (skateboarding)?

you come out at 60 and leave your family to crash on the floor at a skate house?

If wife and kids woudt be so much fun - that woud be a nice back up plan.

Don’t hide nothing - but also not posing my private stuff in general.
Majority of my business contacts don’t know I am skating- they don’t care anyway. Sometime if you meet someone who coud have a skateboard background - skateshoes / Board hanging on the wall - (visit a lot if designers / architects - I ask gently „just a reminder to the good old days - or still keeping in real?“

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 208
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2023, 11:57:50 AM »
Expand Quote
No. I live in San Diego. Political candidates often run ads where they’re at the beach in wetsuits. I’m pretty sure in my lifetime I’ll see one holding a skateboard.
[close]
https://www.instagram.com/tv/CgcWoVVpNOA/?igshid=MWI4MTIyMDE=
Not as satisfying as I’d hoped

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1269
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2023, 11:58:32 AM »
Not really, I’m also 24 so there’s that. I do hate when my girlfriends family or my dads friends ask if I still skate. Feels like it’s always in a condescending way.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2023, 12:04:42 PM »
How about this one as a reference point…..do your skater friends know you’re here?  Do you hide it?
The only skater friend I have who has mentioned Slap knows I’m on here. I’m not embarrassed about what I post. Otherwise I don’t know if anyone knows or cares about this site.

vicious cycle

• Rep: 166
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2023, 12:08:12 PM »
I proudly presented my new shinner marks and wounds to my ex boss every time he asked me why I'm limping again. He fired me after I bruised my rips and was out for 3 weeks.. Next time maybe I hide it and just say that I'm into bdsm or something..
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

rob macabre

• Rep: -3
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2023, 12:20:11 PM »
I proudly presented my new shinner marks and wounds to my ex boss every time he asked me why I'm limping again. He fired me after I bruised my rips and was out for 3 weeks.. Next time maybe I hide it and just say that I'm into bdsm or something..
All due respect my guy but I'd shitcan you too over 3 wks out. And i don't give a damn hell if it's Party n Play with poppers, bailing a 900 or knife fighting. Not showing up for work is not showing up for work.

mendo

• Rep: 18
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2023, 12:32:49 PM »
hide it from myself most the time it seems these days

mendo

• Rep: 18
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2023, 12:34:51 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
All due respect my guy but I'd shitcan you too over 3 wks out. And i don't give a damn hell if it's Party n Play with poppers, bailing a 900 or knife fighting. Not showing up for work is not showing up for work.

man thats fucked, where i am id be off work and be paid 80% of my wage till ive recovered. doesnt matter what i did either, could have jumped off a house on pcp, still insured by a government system (acc in new zealand). thank fuck i live here and not there.

captaincheddar123

• Rep: 1
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2023, 12:57:33 PM »
if i'm talking to/around people that i am not super close with, and know i probably will not become close with them (coworkers, acquaintances, friends of friends, etc), i will definitely hide it, or at least try and downplay it if it somehow came up.  i also am very bad at skateboarding, so that is definitely a factor.  i just don't want people to know about certain aspects of my life!

GrayCellGreen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2023, 12:59:29 PM »
I wake up every Monday and send clips of park bangers to everyone on my work Microsoft Teams.

After this I drink some limited edition NADC coffee brewed by Neen himself as I do shoulder flys with my Caliber Trucks.

Once I arrive at the office, I show of my new New Balance Numerics (and I show them that NB has a skate line, how forward thinking!)

I ensue that my actual skate shoes are worn on casual friday so they know I got that flick. I make sure to pair these with my Polar Big Boys so they know im hip.

On my lunchbreak I watch Epicly Latered videos on my phone  in the cafeteria with no headphones so they can learn Ed Templetons adolescence.

My mousepad is a footprint insole and I keep a small bowling ball to show off the technology to my coworkers.

I may be a project manager but I do keep a shoelace belt on my Brooks Brother's Chinos so keep things quirky.

When they show me pictures of Brayden playing Soccer, I show clips of Trae the Tank and show them my goals for my offspring (once I find a lady who likes FA and Hockey Aesthetics of course)

Then I make sure to make a cute Board Meeting joke every quarter.

Doing all of this is helping to normalize skateboarding in the millennial Corporate world.

Best thing I’ve read all week

Ankle_Lift

• Rep: 82
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2023, 01:09:43 PM »
Some guys at work razz me a bit about it, but I really don't care, at all, because none of them could even stand on a board and they're all lazy fucks who just sit around and watch sports all weekend.
They all talked about skateboarding when they saw it during the Olympics, which was weird, and then they wanted to talk to me about it and I was like "I don't watch that shit".

Here's a stupid story for you all.
I once had a summer student (19 years old) ask me what I did on the weekend. I told him I went the next down over and sessioned the skatepark there with some buddies.
He scoffed and said "isn't skateboarding for kids?"
I then asked him what he did. He said "played Xbox" so I said "isn't playing video games for little boys?"

He didn't really have much to say after that.
Everyone has hobbies other people think are dumb. At least with skating you get some exercise and work your core and are outside.

Tommy G

• Rep: -8
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2023, 01:22:19 PM »
Not really, I’m also 24 so there’s that. I do hate when my girlfriends family or my dads friends ask if I still skate. Feels like it’s always in a condescending way.

It’s always such an awkward conversation when you have friends that stopped skating after you haven’t seen them for years and you have no idea where they went. Even worse when it seems like life hit them even harder after they stopped.

I’ve had people ask and I tell them about injuries and they’re shocked when I tell them I still skate after breaking my foot and several ankle injuries.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2023, 01:31:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

man thats fucked, where i am id be off work and be paid 80% of my wage till ive recovered. doesnt matter what i did either, could have jumped off a house on pcp, still insured by a government system (acc in new zealand). thank fuck i live here and not there.
I took two months off for mental health, state paid I think 70% of my salary. I’m in California and have a corporate job though. I don’t know what it’s like in other states or employers tho.

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1269
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2023, 01:46:14 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It’s always such an awkward conversation when you have friends that stopped skating after you haven’t seen them for years and you have no idea where they went. Even worse when it seems like life hit them even harder after they stopped.

I’ve had people ask and I tell them about injuries and they’re shocked when I tell them I still skate after breaking my foot and several ankle injuries.
yeah I hate that conversation for that exact reason. Like seeing someone you used to skate with everyday and then going years without that and coming across them on the holidays or something and it’s always like “are you still skating?” “Yeah whatre you doing these days” and it’s like the most depressing wake up, 9-5, back to the house story. It makes me grateful I still skate and have somewhat of a life outside of adult life. I don’t see how people do it.

vicious cycle

« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2023, 01:50:42 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Yea.. Whatever dude... But that's not so easy where I'm from.. He had to pay me a few thousand bucks because I went to court.. One time at a different workplace, I was out a year from a burnout once. My work had to pay full for 6 weeks. After that my insurance paid me 80% for the rest of the time. They also paid for recovery hotel and therapy after that. Than I went back to work, starting with 15 hours a week and then 5 hours more peer week if I was ok with it. This time was also covered by insurance. To be 4 weeks out is nothing special, at least where I'm from. That's why I pay insurance in the first place.. You have to have one here, even when you unemployed. We all pay in so the sick can get back up again.. Where ever you from man, I feel sorry that there isn't a system like this in place.

OneMore

« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2023, 01:52:06 PM »

I hope you're lying about the shinners. I don't know what to say or how to feel if you're not. I've never been proud of a shinner, they aught to be shameful.

vicious cycle

« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2023, 01:59:35 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I hope you're lying about the shinners. I don't know what to say or how to feel if you're not. I've never been proud of a shinner, they aught to be shameful.
So you never wear shorts at work or?

OneMore

« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2023, 02:03:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I work front of house in fine dining at the moment.

vicious cycle

« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2023, 02:07:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

I work front of house in fine dining at the moment.
Sweet. Nah man I'm not ashamed showing my scars. I worked hard for them.

greenbeans

« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2023, 02:12:13 PM »
The only adults I’m hiding my skating from is the fucking cops when I’m riding someplace illegal.
Everyone else seems fine with the old dude & his pastime.

StillTryin

• Rep: 41
« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2023, 03:31:05 PM »
At my old job I used to train Police, firemen, EMTs and 911 dispatchers on emergency software.

If I had to travel to give a training I'd bring a board and check out the local park. Sometimes they would ask what I did the night before or if I checked out the town and if I went for a skate I told them so. I don't give a fuck. I have skated out of police station parking lots more times than I can remember going out to lunch.

Fartknocker415

• Rep: -45
« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2023, 03:43:14 PM »
I wake up every Monday and send clips of park bangers to everyone on my work Microsoft Teams.

After this I drink some limited edition NADC coffee brewed by Neen himself as I do shoulder flys with my Caliber Trucks.

Once I arrive at the office, I show of my new New Balance Numerics (and I show them that NB has a skate line, how forward thinking!)

I ensue that my actual skate shoes are worn on casual friday so they know I got that flick. I make sure to pair these with my Polar Big Boys so they know im hip.

On my lunchbreak I watch Epicly Latered videos on my phone  in the cafeteria with no headphones so they can learn Ed Templetons adolescence.

My mousepad is a footprint insole and I keep a small bowling ball to show off the technology to my coworkers.

I may be a project manager but I do keep a shoelace belt on my Brooks Brother's Chinos so keep things quirky.

When they show me pictures of Brayden playing Soccer, I show clips of Trae the Tank and show them my goals for my offspring (once I find a lady who likes FA and Hockey Aesthetics of course)

Then I make sure to make a cute Board Meeting joke every quarter.

Doing all of this is helping to normalize skateboarding in the millennial Corporate world.

This is a joke but I would actually be coo af with my manager if they was like this

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 817
« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2023, 03:54:16 PM »
Currently doing my clinical rotation at a hospital lab I hope to be hired at, and I will absolutely not mention skating.  I wear scrubs, a lab coat, and running shoes.  Every weekend they ask me what I plan on doing, and I always just reply that I’m going to study all weekend. 

I learned my lesson years ago when I mentioned skating in a job interview.  The whole tone changed instantly, and the interview ended with the lady saying “well, we can’t have someone answering the phone saying “like” and “dude” ya know.”  (I said neither in the interview).

Never again
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

vinithebr

• Rep: -20
« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2023, 05:28:51 PM »
On a first date I make sure to go into little details about a recent learnt trick.

If I can't fill her up with my stuff I'm not interested.

Mongo Lloyd

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 192
« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2023, 05:35:07 PM »
No, In a basic sense it keeps you fit and youthful. I think a lot of people (especially our parents generation.. for those of us on the brink of 40) think that you had to just give up and lame out in adulthood.

We (my generation and younger) seem to realize that work isn’t your identity, and it’s ok to embrace the things you’ve always loved in your youth. We’re not as uptight as those before us.
Do you get deja vu, huh?

Lifer

• Rep: 74
« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2023, 05:40:12 PM »
No, Im not shy about it anymore but probably wouldn’t bring it up without reason in an interview. I do regret one time not saying the truth when working with an old project manager who asked me if I was a skater who skated at skateparks or “one of the assholes who skated on private property.” Fuck that guy

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 239
« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2023, 05:50:54 PM »
Never mention it at work unless I know someone else skates. I fractured my wrist and hand during lunch (at different times) and the last thing I want work to know is that the injuries were self-induced.

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1700
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2023, 06:00:51 PM »
I don't hide it, but I definitely don't talk about it with co-workers. They are all 20-30 years older than me and don't "get it." I broke my ankle at the end of 2019 which is why I ended up disclosing the information since I couldn't show up to a meeting on a scooter in a cast without an explanation.  I've tried explaining to them the nuances of the culture but its like talking to a brick wall (e.g., why wearing a helmet is not necessary all the time). One of my co-workers outright told me she didn't want me skating in the future and genuinely looked concerned. A hearty "el oh el" was had.

Submitting that letter of resignation is going to feel real damn good when the time comes.

8)

These days, the older I get, I find that I try to give the bare minimum amount of information at work. No one really cares about me anyway. I save mental energy by treating co-workers like NPCs in a video game. Just give 'em the ol' stock phrases and run out the clock until the meeting is done.
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: 47
« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2023, 06:04:57 PM »
Man i fuckin regret telling my academic advisor that i skate without a helmet this fucker goes

"so youre paying for all that education to store in your brain, but you wont wear a helmet to protect it?"

motherfucker I pay rent and keep all my shit in my apartment if i burn it down by accident that was my choice?? i skate ledges and flat anyway mf think im doing 20 stair rails