Author Topic: Slappy back smith  (Read 1877 times)

modern life is war

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -618
Slappy back smith
« on: May 01, 2023, 09:35:58 PM »
Such a dope looking trick. Probably the best looking slappy grind imo. How do you do it?
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
Re: Slappy back smith
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2023, 11:34:07 PM »
Good question. I’ve wanted to do them for a while, and made half-hearted attempts, but couldn’t get into it.

Finally yesterday was was on a bit of a slappy tear and tried them, and finally got into them a touch.

Hang the toes off , especially the tail/rear pocket. Overcarve a bs 50-50abd as soon as the nose dips off, push the board forward and get on the back truck.

That’s all I have now, still can’t lock in yet, just dip.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 789
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2023, 06:28:11 AM »
I learned slappy front smiths on a corner curb. The bend in the curb helped get me into the smith position. Perhaps that will work for back smiths also.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2023, 06:34:55 AM »
i am so bad at all smith / feeble grinds considering how long i have been skating. i just never did them hardly. I can do them but not for like 10 feet and dipped like how i would want to. it is one of these things its 1 thing to do the trick but its another to master it and make it look really good.

i have bene practicing bs smith slappy a decent amount and it is really hard to find the spot i want for my feet but i think ifinally have it down. i like my toe in control of the top pocket while also giving myself the most chance for stability with my back foot. my front foot i am just trying to keep the board down with it so kinda just toe on the bolts, pretty standard position. not sure if you need ot do anything special with the front foot really...

i started by just slappy 5-0ing a lot and getting super comfortable putting all my weight back. then just slappying 5050 and trying to get the front truck off. slowly trying to get the wheels lower and lower and figuring out. a lot of times it looked like i had it then i watched it back and it was just like 1 wheel still was touching the curb slightly. have gotten a few now where my wheels definintely got clear and a bit of dip even but i only grind for like 1/2 a foot. basically now just trying to figure out how to really lock in the back truck so it doesnt wnat to spit me out so easily. i think i just need to go a lot faster and there is a bit of a technique to slashing it then pulling it back into the wall so the deck touches the curb so you can just hang on for super long.

crescentfresh

• Rep: 48
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2023, 01:10:07 PM »
Anyone have an example of a really good one?

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 983
  • the moon rules
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2023, 01:49:02 PM »
I actually learned these last week so I could do them on ramps. First you have to find the right angle. My toes hang off the tail and over the pocket while my front foot is angled forward with the toes just over the bolts. To get it to grind you have to think like you're trying to stee out a back smith; you go legs forward while leaning back from the hips upward.  Your body weight is almost all behind the board. You'll probably do 100 of them locked in on the wrong side of the truck and think you did it legit until you finally lock in and grind a real one. That feeling is unmistakeable. They're most certainly easier to ollie into on ledges than the slaps version
fuck you bama

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2023, 06:19:57 PM »
I actually learned these last week so I could do them on ramps. First you have to find the right angle. My toes hang off the tail and over the pocket while my front foot is angled forward with the toes just over the bolts. To get it to grind you have to think like you're trying to stee out a back smith; you go legs forward while leaning back from the hips upward.  Your body weight is almost all behind the board. You'll probably do 100 of them locked in on the wrong side of the truck and think you did it legit until you finally lock in and grind a real one. That feeling is unmistakeable. They're most certainly easier to ollie into on ledges than the slaps version

Interesting, I have them almost on lock on ramps up to 6ft but couldn't get one to work on a curb. Definitely the best trick tip for back smiths in tranny is to get the toe side of your back truck locked in all the way to the coping so that makes sense that it's the same movement for curbs, just harder to understand how to actually 'slap' up into that positon

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 789
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2023, 08:41:26 PM »

Look through  James Alb'y instagram feed. He might have one among his clips. I've seen him do them in person. Magic.

https://www.instagram.com/alby_there4u/

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2023, 09:48:39 PM »

Nuge does a pretty sick one at 3:28 in this vid

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2023, 10:57:11 PM »
Isn’t it back toe in toe side pocket hanging off and front foot is heelside pocket heel hanging off…feet kinda close together…

Carve in heel, then back toe to get your truck on…..then back heel to smith it….

It’s kinda like a feeble but you don’t push with your front foot and keep turning your body….

crescentfresh

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2023, 05:23:30 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Look through  James Alb'y instagram feed. He might have one among his clips. I've seen him do them in person. Magic.

wow, he's got a lot in there and he's got them good, thanks!

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2023, 07:06:03 AM »

this is exactly the foot position i was tryin to describe

feels like you gotta slash into it like cardiel does on the pool and be really loose and then a lot of weight on your back foot to hold the grind

switchfakie

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2023, 04:32:48 PM »
i think the only way to do it is "nollie"/use your nose to lift up to get your back truck over

i dont think ive ever seen anybody slap their back truck in to get into this trick

crescentfresh

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2023, 07:28:03 PM »
i think the only way to do it is "nollie"/use your nose to lift up to get your back truck over

i dont think ive ever seen anybody slap their back truck in to get into this trick

what about this one:

more of an over rotated 50-50 (touches 50 for a fraction of a second, then dips the front)

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2023, 04:34:24 AM »

The only way I’ve ever seen bs or fs done properly is to hit the front trucks first. There really is need to nollie. I can do fs, but the bs twist is a bit harder to dip and lock into for me.

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

switchfakie

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2023, 06:33:31 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

what about this one:

more of an over rotated 50-50 (touches 50 for a fraction of a second, then dips the front)

word, i learn something everyday

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 527
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2023, 06:41:32 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

what about this one:

First, thanks for posting that channel. He always has rad stuff on his IG now I can follow his YT as well.
Secondly, that’s the only way I’ve seen them done as well, super quick front clip then dip. Wish I could do those but don’t think I’ll ever get one.

Maccat

• Rep: 78
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2023, 04:36:54 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This guy is insane.

Slap back smiths for me, I always just try and tweak out a back 50. Sometimes it works. Sometimes I stick.

ToshiroTownune

• Rep: 70
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2023, 01:03:32 AM »
Buff Homie Quan has got a mean one

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNinEonFMFG

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2023, 08:03:28 AM »

Wow that one was so sick. Almost looked like his back truck was off the coping but i'm pretty sure he was just really far over and holding it.

I've landed a few since making this thread but not consistently. Last night I probably landed like 4 or 5 small ones which is the most I've got in a session so far. My technique has been to come up to the curb at a 45 degree angle, hang my toes over the board on the tail and my front foot a bit before the bolts and then kinda do a backside powerslide and bash my rear trucks up onto the curb. Front trucks don't hit the curb like they would for a regular slappy. At least 75% of the time I'll do a 'bolt grind' and my trucks won't get onto the coping.

Gotta keep trying em, not sure if this is the right way but I'm figuring it out. All the legit vids I've seen like the one that was just posted the guys hit their front trucks first so I dunno.

Jory4

• Rep: 106
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2023, 11:38:52 AM »
I think the ground by the curb is important. It needs to be pretty slidey unless it’s a high curb since your front wheels are kinda hitting the ground when you dip and need to slip
Or they’ll just steer you out of the grind.

I’ve kind of got them but feel like the tarmacs too grippy to get a longer one - constant uk crust problem

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CnW5GBLJcVf/?igshid=MmJiY2I4NDBkZg==

I’m coming in like an over rotated 50 / dipped 5-0 slappy. I “think” my front wheels hit and I’m letting that impact lift the front of the board then letting the rear truck ride on as I unweight then trying to dip the front and push it away from me and get my hips over my back foot. Same sort of feel as a slappy feeble if that makes sense?

ToshiroTownune

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2023, 05:40:48 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Wow that one was so sick. Almost looked like his back truck was off the coping but i'm pretty sure he was just really far over and holding it.

I've landed a few since making this thread but not consistently. Last night I probably landed like 4 or 5 small ones which is the most I've got in a session so far. My technique has been to come up to the curb at a 45 degree angle, hang my toes over the board on the tail and my front foot a bit before the bolts and then kinda do a backside powerslide and bash my rear trucks up onto the curb. Front trucks don't hit the curb like they would for a regular slappy. At least 75% of the time I'll do a 'bolt grind' and my trucks won't get onto the coping.

Gotta keep trying em, not sure if this is the right way but I'm figuring it out. All the legit vids I've seen like the one that was just posted the guys hit their front trucks first so I dunno.

Yeah, you'll see the purists arguing that it's not a proper slappy unless both trucks hit. I'd recommend looking back through Hersk's instagram as he has really perfected the trick and there's a ton of clips from different angles. This is probably one of the better examples of how he hits his front trucks and then his back foot continues the carve in motion and keeps it locked in.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2023, 05:49:16 PM »
Yeah check this one! Textbook! This is the standard for slappy back smiths now, if you're not doing it like this you just ain't doing the trick. I feel like being able to do a really solid backside powerslide would help with this trick

Fuck i was gonna go out and party tonight but now i just wanna go have a curb session

ToshiroTownune

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2023, 05:59:24 PM »
Yeah check this one! Textbook! This is the standard for slappy back smiths now, if you're not doing it like this you just ain't doing the trick. I feel like being able to do a really solid backside powerslide would help with this trick

Fuck i was gonna go out and party tonight but now i just wanna go have a curb session

The irony is he doesn't hit on his frontside smiths or lipslides.

Post some clips when you got em. I've been working on it too and have done a few, but over rotating to lip has been my main issue.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2023, 03:22:54 PM »
Thanks for posting this. I can get into them but they go nowhere. Really want to get this one

switchfakie

« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2023, 07:43:15 PM »
learned this trick by accident

you lean back/sit in the backseat before the slappy & right when you feel your back truck get on, you put pressure on your front foot & turn your shoulders a bit

actually an easy learn

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2023, 03:49:15 PM »
I’ve heard a lot of those dudes are also waxing the ground.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2023, 10:23:37 PM »
Ok, I just unlocked these.

I’ve been trying them on and off since last year, but it never made much sense.
I thought you had to over-rotate a bs 50-50, hang your toes way off the board, and other stuff that as it turns out, is completely unnecessary.

I started getting low, having my front foot back of bolts, pointed a touch, and the back foot on the pocket, big toe gripping the edge.

As I let my front foot ride up, I keep my body still inside the curb, not over top yet, then gently slap my back truck almost flat against the side of the curb, and then roll it on top.

As roll it on top, I push with my back toe and pinch the back wheel against the curb, hoosh the board forward and nose off the curb, and sit in bs smith.

https://makeagif.com/i/Lgojz2

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2023, 11:24:46 AM »

I thought you had to over-rotate a bs 50-50, hang your toes way off the board, and other stuff that as it turns out, is completely unnecessary.

I started getting low, having my front foot back of bolts, pointed a touch, and the back foot on the pocket, big toe gripping the edge.

As I let my front foot ride up, I keep my body still inside the curb, not over top yet, then gently slap my back truck almost flat against the side of the curb, and then roll it on top.

As roll it on top, I push with my back toe and pinch the back wheel against the curb, hoosh the board forward and nose off the curb, and sit in bs smith.

Nice!

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 527
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2023, 01:59:10 PM »

Nice! Thanks for the write up as well.