Author Topic: Which cities have had the most influence on skateboarding throughout the years?  (Read 4001 times)

Lhotse’s Pit of Death

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -434
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
New York and everywhere else is fucking garbage.

KGB

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -461
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched

"Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols"

kookdusoleil

• Rep: 63
  • Have fun out there
The influential cities have all been named, great work team. We can move on now

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -619

Idk man sometimes I create threads in the hopes that it will just generate an interesting discussion rather than just people naming cities or whatever. Most likely it's on me to put more effort into fostering the discussion though instead of just hoping it will happen organically, The issue is I'd generally rather just read other people's opinions than my own most of the time because I'm not even half as knowledgeable as some of the posters on here about skating.

Philly is a great example. Obviously there is (or was) Love Park there which fostered all kinds of tech skating in the 90s but you've also got FDR in Philly which if I'm not mistaken was the first big DIY on the east coast and is arguably just as infamous as Burnside.

And then Burnside leads into Portland, which I think is also a great response. I think the influence on skating that came out of this city is hugely underestimated. I mean, it's the first place in America where there was a skatepark built by skaters and this spawned two of the most highly regarded skatepark builders in the world, Dreamland and Grindline. I wonder how much influence over street skating this city/area has had though.

A couple people mentioned Sydney, and while I love the city and can absolutely acknowledge its place as a cultural hub for skateboarding in Australia and arguably moreso than Melbourne, I can't really see how it has been influential on the international level of skateboarding.

You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

SonictheHedgehog

• Rep: -14
Expand Quote
[close]

A couple people mentioned Sydney, and while I love the city and can absolutely acknowledge its place as a cultural hub for skateboarding in Australia and arguably moreso than Melbourne, I can't really see how it has been influential on the international level of skateboarding.

Australia has had a ton of footage in major videos since around 2000, Sydney probably the most out of any city there. Martin Place in particular was heavily featured.

I think Barcelona should be “unlisted” in the same vein as LA, SF, & NY. The amount of footage speaks for itself, but I think it’s easily the best city as far as spots go in the world and has been for quite some time. It’s truly astonishing at how many spots there and just how fun the city is in general.

Philadelphia and DC are also near that very top tier, god damn I love all these places.
wash uffize drive me to firenze

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 873
I love Sydney and it's got spots and has had constant footage, passports the best company ever and all the rest but as far as actual influence on skateboarding as a whole I don't know if it really deserves to be up there. No more than Perth or Melbourne anyway and obvs fuck Melbourne.

ejazzle

• Rep: 82
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Boston was a hotspot back in the mid 00's

SonictheHedgehog

Perth is not even comparable to Sydney and Melbourne.
wash uffize drive me to firenze

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 546
Seattle
Portland
Sacramento
San Jose
Santa Cruz
Huntington Beach
Long Beach
San Diego

switchfakie

philly
ny
sf
LA

WorldsbestWeedsm0ker

• Rep: -158
Seattle
Portland
Sacramento
San Jose
Santa Cruz
Huntington Beach
Long Beach
San Diego

West coast best coast
waved and warped
RIP fugluk (Tristan)

Perforated Opinions

• Rep: -198
fuck the left coast !

JamesFardy

• Rep: 66
    • Gyfcat.com avatar image
Nantucket had the most Zero boardriders

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -226
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
People forget about Santa Barbara, California.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

decoi1

• Rep: 18
ATL is in the conversation.

Stu Pickles

• Rep: 112
as someone who hasn't travelled much and just consumes a ton of skate media (in no particular order and thinking more past 20 years):
barcelona, berlin, philly, copenhagen, portland, mtl

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 237
  • Precision Posture
Expand Quote
[close]

Idk man sometimes I create threads in the hopes that it will just generate an interesting discussion rather than just people naming cities or whatever. Most likely it's on me to put more effort into fostering the discussion though instead of just hoping it will happen organically, The issue is I'd generally rather just read other people's opinions than my own most of the time because I'm not even half as knowledgeable as some of the posters on here about skating.

Philly is a great example. Obviously there is (or was) Love Park there which fostered all kinds of tech skating in the 90s but you've also got FDR in Philly which if I'm not mistaken was the first big DIY on the east coast and is arguably just as infamous as Burnside.

And then Burnside leads into Portland, which I think is also a great response. I think the influence on skating that came out of this city is hugely underestimated. I mean, it's the first place in America where there was a skatepark built by skaters and this spawned two of the most highly regarded skatepark builders in the world, Dreamland and Grindline. I wonder how much influence over street skating this city/area has had though.

Other than Burnside, skating in Portland is representative of skating whatever is in front of you, doesn't matter if its a smooth plaza, a crusty backalley, or a gap to some random slab. Obviously not the only place to popularize this, but it speaks the PNW head in me. Plus what you said about founding the founders of GL/DL/Evergreen

PNW/West Coast > anywhere east of the Rockies
Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

IpathCats

Since DC, Philly, and Barcelona have been said already.....

Tampa, and the whole florida contest scene has been pretty influential.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1424
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
New bedford :P
Support your local skate shop

IpathCats

Oh, and how could anyone forget....

West Chester PA

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 330
Hard mode: Not LA, NY or SF

Philly in the late 90’s, Barcelona from 04 until Mindfield came out.

Most of the 2010s have been split between London, Paris and Tokyo. London with the video production, Paris with the spots, and everyone jacks the Tokyo style of skating.

There was a sneaky DC/Richmond/Raleigh/Charlotte/Atlanta thing going on in the late 2000’s but that died quickly when people realized those places have the worst summers lol.

CocoSantiagosKitten

• Rep: 2
Texas scenes have been doing their thing for decades now and are finally getting some good coverage in the past few years. Thanks, Sieben!

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
Hot take- San Diego deserves a higher spot that NY or LA. We had Del Mar in the 80s. We had H Street in the late eighties, Plan B in the early nineties, and Zero in the late nineties. Among others. Welcome to Hell was mostly filmed here. That’s most of the most influential early street skating.

Drain Bamage

Phoenix, San Diego, Los Angeles (greater metro areas) .  All are natural skateparks on their own that can be skated all year (gets tough in PHX) and all have pools and ditches. All have huge skate scenes.  They fact they all have plenty of killer parks is just a bonus. 

The PNW is highly overrated.  The parks are all 20 years old and rough as shit from the weather and they still  have no lights.  They don't even get skated that much anymore because most are vert and no one wants to wear pads. When was the last time you saw footage of Pier Park or Lincoln City (non event) or any of those rad parks??? Years.  All the locals up there moved to indoor stuff or backyard 3' tall DYI stuff. No pools, no ditches and weak street... lot of parking garages I guess.

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 237
  • Precision Posture
Phoenix, San Diego, Los Angeles (greater metro areas) .  All are natural skateparks on their own that can be skated all year (gets tough in PHX) and all have pools and ditches. All have huge skate scenes.  They fact they all have plenty of killer parks is just a bonus. 

The PNW is highly overrated.  The parks are all 20 years old and rough as shit from the weather and they still  have no lights.  They don't even get skated that much anymore because most are vert and no one wants to wear pads. When was the last time you saw footage of Pier Park or Lincoln City (non event) or any of those rad parks??? Years.  All the locals up there moved to indoor stuff or backyard 3' tall DYI stuff. No pools, no ditches and weak street... lot of parking garages I guess.
Nature of the beast, guy. I don't disagree that the PNW might be overrated, but it has it's place.

You don't go to NY for slick Cali spots, and you don't go to Seattle or Portland for smooth plaza style skateparks. You go for the eroded monoliths of insane bowls. You go for Burnside. You go to Marginal Way, or Lincoln city and say "fuck that is gnarly". That what it is. You still try and skate it, but those parks aren't made to be easy.

The northwest isn't the greatest for skating - Terrain as rough as the east coast and more spread out. The influence of the area (individual cities aren't even important enough on their own) isn't that great on an international level, other than being a firestarter for the DIY scenes.

No pools and ditches was straight in the feels tho....
Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3378
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
Damn everybody always forgets about Olathe, Kansas. Do your research and know your roots, people.

Grand Saber

• Rep: 7
I feel that in the way that SoCal has all eyes on LA/OC but then SD  also has a huge scene, NorCal has all eyes on SF when San Jose has had a rich skate scene for years. There was a period of time in the late 90's and early 2000's (probably until 2008 ish) where it was hard to ignore how much footage was coming out of the area and not to mention all the great skaters that come out of here.

D10S

• Rep: -60
  • la patineta no se mancha

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2261
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

kookdusoleil

• Rep: 63
  • Have fun out there
How has San Vanelona not been mentioned.