Author Topic: DUNE  (Read 1286 times)

bob george

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 200
DUNE
« on: May 24, 2023, 08:56:50 PM »
I searched a bit on this board to see if there was much talk about Dune - books or movies or whatever. I saw that there was talk some in the book club thread but thought maybe there could just be a Dune topic of it's own.

There's a place in town that just has second hand books out the front for free or to swap. I found Dune there and after reading the back "Dune is the finest, most widely acclaimed science fiction novel of this century. Huge in scope, towering in concept, it is a work which live in the reader's imagination for the rest of his life" - I felt obliged to read it.

I just finished it about an hour or two ago.

I'm not really a reader (of books) to be honest, but it was a really addictive and exciting read.

I now need to get Dune Messiah because I'm kind of depressed that I've finished the book.

I don't know - I'm just filled with Dune and am hyped for the next bit of the movie later this year, and am gonna watch some of the miniseries version tonight, yet to watch the David Lynch one, started watching the Jodorowsky's Dune documentary but thought I should finish the book in case it had spoilers in the documentary.

Talk about Dune with me if you feel like it, I gotta go to work. @modern life is war you kind of seem like the dude so far from my searching. Peace!
that skinny motherfucker with the high voice

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
Re: DUNE
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2023, 09:26:04 PM »
Absolutely fucking loved the new movie and couldn't be more hyped for the next one. The trailer is just bananas.

Need to get back into a reading mindset and get through the book.

I hope we get more throat singing even if just briefly in the next one

This thing still makes my skin crawl

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -617
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2023, 09:47:02 PM »
Man I actually only read the series for the first time last year but it quickly became one of my favourite series ever and got me hyped on reading more science fiction which I hadn't really cared for in the past.

I've read up to book 4. I loved every book up to and including the fourth book, but at the end of God Emperor of Dune I felt like a conclusion to the plot started in the first book had been reached and I am unsure if anything would be gained by reading the other two books in the series. From the opinions I've read it seemed that most people agreed with me. Maybe some day I'll pick them up and see what happens but for now I'm good.

Dune Messiah is pretty different to the first but still amazing, I think I read it all over like 3 nights because I couldn't put it down. A LOT of suspense and it all happens over a fairly short time period iirc.

Among many interesting ideas, there is a running theme of a 'loss of humanity' throughout the series which I found really fascinating. Parts of it made my skin crawl. Frank Herbert creates these characters and then creates circumstances in which you begin to not even see them as human anymore, then he draws you back in... It's creepy yet brilliant.

I haven't watched the new movie yet. I was on a long plane ride recently and started it but after only about 10 minutes I felt that the film had gotten some pretty important parts of the book wrong so I turned it off. I don't want the world of Dune that my imagination created being spoiled by a movie anyway.
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2023, 11:23:03 PM »
I found Dune super accessible but the next three felt like hard sci fi and was harder to parse.   

bob george

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2023, 01:52:38 AM »
Man I actually only read the series for the first time last year but it quickly became one of my favourite series ever and got me hyped on reading more science fiction which I hadn't really cared for in the past.

I've read up to book 4. I loved every book up to and including the fourth book, but at the end of God Emperor of Dune I felt like a conclusion to the plot started in the first book had been reached and I am unsure if anything would be gained by reading the other two books in the series. From the opinions I've read it seemed that most people agreed with me. Maybe some day I'll pick them up and see what happens but for now I'm good.

Dune Messiah is pretty different to the first but still amazing, I think I read it all over like 3 nights because I couldn't put it down. A LOT of suspense and it all happens over a fairly short time period iirc.

Among many interesting ideas, there is a running theme of a 'loss of humanity' throughout the series which I found really fascinating. Parts of it made my skin crawl. Frank Herbert creates these characters and then creates circumstances in which you begin to not even see them as human anymore, then he draws you back in... It's creepy yet brilliant.

I haven't watched the new movie yet. I was on a long plane ride recently and started it but after only about 10 minutes I felt that the film had gotten some pretty important parts of the book wrong so I turned it off. I don't want the world of Dune that my imagination created being spoiled by a movie anyway.

Yeah, not sure how I feel about the movie (the 2021 one). So many people have said "oh my god, what an amazing movie" and i'm not really sure that it is THAT amazing of a movie at all and to be honest without having read the book I'm not sure that it would even be a particularly coherent movie. I don't hate it, but it doesn't feel like the book to me - nevertheless I am excited to watch the rest of it 'cause i'm just so hyped on the world.

bob george

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2023, 01:54:37 AM »
I found Dune super accessible but the next three felt like hard sci fi and was harder to parse.

My dad thought the same and it seems to be quite a few people's opinion. I'm not unhappy, but I'm not entirely satisfied/satiated with the end of Dune. Like, I just want to turn the page and know what happens next. Cool, you're the emperor - now what?!

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2023, 02:09:45 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

My dad thought the same and it seems to be quite a few people's opinion. I'm not unhappy, but I'm not entirely satisfied/satiated with the end of Dune. Like, I just want to turn the page and know what happens next. Cool, you're the emperor - now what?!

Oh I totally agree I was excited to dig into book 2 but it felt like a completely different author

Mandatory Reload

• Rep: 78
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2023, 06:24:05 AM »
big Dune fan, read the first 3 books of the series a couple years ago but was a bit tapped out so i took a break and haven't returned yet. planning to at some point. the second book is arguably the most difficult to get through (still loved it though) but things really pick back up in the third, and from what I hear, book 4 is the climax so I definitely want to give it a go soon.

as far as the films go, absolutely LOVED Villeneuve's interpretation, genuinely think it's one of the best films of the 2020s. the sense of scale alone is so impressive. thought he really nailed the tone too. from what i can tell the film was pretty well-received by the Dune community which is probably not an easy feat (while also maintaining pretty significant commercial success). i'm a big David Lynch fan so the 1982 joint is fun but he notoriously hates it and thinks it's his worst creative offering, so I think it doesn't hold much value for me beyond an enjoyable campy experience. never tried the Sci-Fi channel series, might give it a try at some point.

anyone read any of the other novels written by his son? worth it?

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2023, 07:28:38 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah, if you just want the story to continue you should absolutely keep reading, at least until the end of the third. The writing quality (subjectively) drops a little bit but the sci-fi world of Dune keeps getting more fascinating... until at a certain point where it just gets weird.

One thing that trips me out between people's interpretations of it is what stillsuits look like. When I was reading the books, without having seen any of the movies, I imagined them to be loose cloaks that went down to their feet with a hood that covered their face, made of a white/silver reflective material. I also thought there would be little difference between different character's stillsuits. But almost every other interpretation seems to think of them as tight fitting with dark colors, and every person's stillsuit is different. I guess I thought they would all be the same because it feels like there are all these times where someone says 'a real Fremen would never wear his stillsuit like that' or words to that effect, so there must be some high standards of how the stillsuit should be worn/look.

Another point of discussion - what is everyone's thoughts on the Islamic references throughout the book? Did you feel there was some serious influence on the story by Islamic culture, or is it just aesthetic?

bob george

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2023, 03:19:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yeah, if you just want the story to continue you should absolutely keep reading, at least until the end of the third. The writing quality (subjectively) drops a little bit but the sci-fi world of Dune keeps getting more fascinating... until at a certain point where it just gets weird.

One thing that trips me out between people's interpretations of it is what stillsuits look like. When I was reading the books, without having seen any of the movies, I imagined them to be loose cloaks that went down to their feet with a hood that covered their face, made of a white/silver reflective material. I also thought there would be little difference between different character's stillsuits. But almost every other interpretation seems to think of them as tight fitting with dark colors, and every person's stillsuit is different. I guess I thought they would all be the same because it feels like there are all these times where someone says 'a real Fremen would never wear his stillsuit like that' or words to that effect, so there must be some high standards of how the stillsuit should be worn/look.

Another point of discussion - what is everyone's thoughts on the Islamic references throughout the book? Did you feel there was some serious influence on the story by Islamic culture, or is it just aesthetic?

It does seem a little odd to me that you would create a whole world and so many words/concepts/non-existing in reality things and then just borrow the language directly at times. I am wondering if they will steer away from "jihad" in the new movie or just roll with it.

One thought I have regarding the movie to book comparisons is that it would be cool to actually use the quotations that serve to break up "chapters" of the book as narration or something in the movies. Without knowing what happens in the end it kind of eases you into the prescience that paul experiences by having quotes from the future and past lead into the present of every chapter. Maybe David Lynch uses them, but the mini series doesn't and neither does the villeneuve film.

whaaaaat

• Rep: 49
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2023, 03:34:33 PM »
One slightly interesting part of this story is that Frank Hebert was from Tacoma, WA. The city built a park a few years ago and dedicated it to him - it's called the Frank Herbert Dunes Peninsula Park (or something like that). And there are quite a few really good/popular skate spots at the park. So in a roundabout way, there is a Dune/skating connection.

bob george

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2023, 03:46:52 PM »
got any good photos/clips of the spot. i googled it and saw a ledge or two, but couldn't find any actual skating. that is pretty cool though

Bummer Vacation

• Rep: 12
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2023, 03:54:46 PM »
I’ve got a terrible habit of not finishing books (thanks ADHD) so I’ve been listening to a podcast called Mind Killer where they read it & analyze it. I realize this sounds lazy but I grew up watching the Lynch one with my dad & I’ve watched the new one several times so I just wanted to get a little more in depth. I’m pretty stoked to see the next one although the podcast is really showing me just how much is not being expressed in the movies.

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2023, 04:05:43 PM »
got any good photos/clips of the spot. i googled it and saw a ledge or two, but couldn't find any actual skating. that is pretty cool though

Spotted this waxed ledges and what seemed like other better things but no clear wax

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1240
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2023, 05:15:31 PM »
I’ve got a terrible habit of not finishing books (thanks ADHD) so I’ve been listening to a podcast called Mind Killer where they read it & analyze it. I realize this sounds lazy but I grew up watching the Lynch one with my dad & I’ve watched the new one several times so I just wanted to get a little more in depth. I’m pretty stoked to see the next one although the podcast is really showing me just how much is not being expressed in the movies.

Thanks for the podcast recommend.  Enough people whose intelligence I respect have recommended it but I’ve got too many unread books to add another.  I’m open to being in love with this book you people speak so highly of and I hope your next vacation is a maelstrom of amazing times.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2023, 07:05:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

It does seem a little odd to me that you would create a whole world and so many words/concepts/non-existing in reality things and then just borrow the language directly at times. I am wondering if they will steer away from "jihad" in the new movie or just roll with it.

One thought I have regarding the movie to book comparisons is that it would be cool to actually use the quotations that serve to break up "chapters" of the book as narration or something in the movies. Without knowing what happens in the end it kind of eases you into the prescience that paul experiences by having quotes from the future and past lead into the present of every chapter. Maybe David Lynch uses them, but the mini series doesn't and neither does the villeneuve film.

Maybe I'm wrong or misremembering, but I think that in maybe book two, there was a passage explaining this. Something to the effect that before people fled earth to avoid its destruction, that an Islamic caliphate had taken over as the dominant government, hence the extensive usage of Islamic terminology in the lexicon of Dune.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

bob george

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2023, 09:22:40 PM »

Very cool about the podcast! Will definitely check it out on the drive home from work. The book is VERY worth reading - none of the films are doing it total justice. But i feel you on the non-finishing of tasks re: ADHD

Bill Salt

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2023, 03:35:09 AM »
This remake is bullshit

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -116
  • 1,2,3,4, tell the people what she wore...
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2023, 07:00:01 AM »
Need to watch the Lynch version.

Love Lynch but he still refuses to watch it…

SneakySecrets

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2023, 12:20:00 PM »
I listened to some of that podcast and bought a paperback of the book because of this thread.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2023, 01:14:06 PM »
I listened to some of that podcast and bought a paperback of the book because of this thread.

I think you'll enjoy it. You seem like the kind of guy who would like Dune.

There is a lot of political philosophy to squeeze out of it if you look for it.

bob george

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2023, 02:57:27 PM »

Right on! I'm gonna track me down a Dune Messiah this weekend and keep it going.

I've only watched the first episode (of three - it's spaced out the same as the book) of the mini series - it's got some pretty whacko acting and is very low budget sci-fi (which is pretty cool in a way) but it's storyline is very close to the book.

The guild navigator is a cool looking thing - i'd kind of forgotten about them to be honest because they're not in the new movie and they weren't really talking about them at the end of the book.

pretty bad image quality, but he's like a slimy, skinless bat with a big head that folds space and time. pretty dope haha

SneakySecrets

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2023, 04:04:44 PM »
Thanks guys.  It’s pretty mind-expanding and thanks for the recommendation.

Bummer Vacation

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2023, 05:48:38 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I've only watched the first episode (of three - it's spaced out the same as the book) of the mini series - it's got some pretty whacko acting and is very low budget sci-fi (which is pretty cool in a way) but it's storyline is very close to the book.

I never watched the miniseries. I’ll have to track it down. I can handle bad Sci Fi FX so it actually sounds kinda cool.

bob george

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2023, 05:01:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I never watched the miniseries. I’ll have to track it down. I can handle bad Sci Fi FX so it actually sounds kinda cool.

bad sci-fi is totally cool. i just watch everything on watchseries - just gotta close a bunch of pop ups which kind of add to the fun in a way...

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2023, 08:12:06 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Very cool about the podcast! Will definitely check it out on the drive home from work. The book is VERY worth reading - none of the films are doing it total justice. But i feel you on the non-finishing of tasks re: ADHD

There's also one that Henry Zebrowski has been doing. LPN Deep Dives: Dune.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2023, 02:59:05 AM »
I read the whole Dune cycle in French, when I was a huge SF nerd in high school...... :-X

Then I read it again, in english, a few years back. Stopped at the 4th book this time though.
This thread just inspired me to buy the 5th book for summer!

Absolutely loved the Villeneuve movie. Can't wait for the 2nd part to come out. November in Europe.....

Herbert is really up there in the pantheon of classic SF with Asimov, Dick and few others.

Bummer Vacation

« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2023, 07:36:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

There's also one that Henry Zebrowski has been doing. LPN Deep Dives: Dune.

Nice! I’ll be checking that out soon!

Gary Bucket

• Rep: 42
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2023, 01:45:33 PM »
Listened to the audiobook a few years ago while doing some particularly mundane work. Didnt get terribly stuck in but thoroughly enjoyed it and have vivid memories of parts of the book tied to some of the work i do.

Walken as the emperor… holy shit

https://youtu.be/_YUzQa_1RCE

Bummer Vacation

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2023, 01:58:15 PM »
I hadn’t seen that trailer until just now. Dude playing Fayd actually looks like a villain as opposed to Sting playing him like he was Billy Idol.