Author Topic: Slim/Straight Pants survivors  (Read 3954 times)

FrenchSkater

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 28
Slim/Straight Pants survivors
« on: August 04, 2023, 10:06:55 AM »
Are there still people like me who are still dressed in slim or straight pants ?

I can't get away from the phenomenon that there was from around 2006 to 2015 haha ​​No more seriously .. Who like me feels so much better dressed with clothes well cut for the body ?

I am also not talking about tight clothes that stick to the body, but not very loose clothes either..
I've always hated this, I don't feel comfortable haha

If there are still survivors of pants of this kind, tell me your feelings on the current fashion for baggys or wide pants in the 90s style a little shorter at the ankles ..

Do you believe that tight, fitted pants will ever disappear from the world of skateboarding ?

There are still a few pros who maintain this (Daewon, Adam Arunski, Leo romero, Madars apse..)

overwaxed

• Rep: 92
Re: Slim/Straight Pants survivors
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2023, 11:16:18 AM »
I like a straight Levi 501 style fit - 501's, dickies 874's, etc. - if you skate a lot and your leg/quads get ripped (like AVE, Elijah, etc.) they look more on the slim side, but I can't stand (and even in the heyday of slim hated) the ankle biter look.

lamfordie

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 294
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2023, 01:17:07 PM »
I still rock slim fit jeans and pants. Cant wear the skinny jeans like I used to cuz my knee swells up and my thighs are thicker than when I was younger. For me the dickies Slim straight pants and Volcom v-monty are my go to pants.

SupremePizza

• Rep: 44
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2023, 02:28:38 PM »
Used to rock Duffel style jeans but just prefer a slim or straight fit now. I have mix of random dockers, volcom solver and vorta pants, and a paid of polar 92 to layer under when it's cold. I'm struggling to maintain 130lb and find most regular fit pants to still be too baggy for me

animalflesh

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2023, 03:26:57 PM »
I wear Levi’s 502

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 501
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2023, 06:03:31 PM »
Whatever the 501s are with the zip fly are my go to, but for skating the Polar 93s are way more comfortable if I can find them on sale.  Used to skate these levis but they're just too constricting.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 220
  • sup dog
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2023, 06:14:15 PM »
Levi’s Slim Straight with the stretch fit we’re amazing to skate in.

Then I got old and larger. Can’t where them anymore. But hugging my leg made for better skating instead of getting lost in big baggy pants.
Another brand new account coming in on some absolute fuck shit

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 337
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2023, 07:54:48 PM »
You just gotta wear what suits your body.

Danny Garcia killed it with the straight fit pants in this

ish_wav

• Rep: 97
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2023, 09:07:41 AM »
I still have a couple pairs of Levi’s 511 I wear. I also love the Volcom Vorta and Solver fits. They’re kind of hard to wear with some of the shoes coming out though. They’re the perfect Janoski jeans though haha.

FrenchSkater

• Rep: 28
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2023, 02:37:02 PM »
It's nice to see that some are still loyal to these pants! I really should try these Straight/Slim dickies.. I hear nothing but good things about them !

By the way, today at the skatepark I had a debate, a friend told me that you had more style in wide clothes than in tight clothes..  ::)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1031
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2023, 09:38:33 PM »
It's nice to see that some are still loyal to these pants! I really should try these Straight/Slim dickies.. I hear nothing but good things about them !

By the way, today at the skatepark I had a debate, a friend told me that you had more style in wide clothes than in tight clothes..  ::)

I feel like there is such a big difference between what we used to wear and what people wear now, but more than anything pants from brands like Krew or KR3W really were "slim straight" in the fit of them, whereas pants like Dickies 873 Slim Straight are way more loose fitting in the whole leg, being almost bigger overall than the 874 Original Fit, which is a "regular fit" so make of that what you will.

I had seen a few people send back pairs of Dickies 873 or were not happy with them as they thought they were sent baggy pants instead of actual slim fit pants, but the 872 are the slim fit that taper through the leg, way too much for a lot of people to wear comfortably.

If you are interested in the Dickies pants, I would recommend trying any of them on rather than ordering online.

Quite a few people I skate with still prefer the Krew style of pants, be it slightly better cut, more often than not stretch to some degree, but definitely not tight at all, like the super slim style that also came out from Krew and other brands.

It is just down to which brands do what sort of fit, as some that I would have thought to make good pants just felt weird, while others were surprisingly comfortable to me, when I would try on this or that, when it came in.

Now I am just happy in Dickies 874 pants, but i still have a box of Krew jeans / pants around somewhere.

As to the debate about "what looks better" I would say that it is the skater that makes the clothes look better, compared to the clothes that make the skater look better.  All up it is definitely a combination of the two, but I have seen some very well dressed individuals do the worst looking things on a board, whereas some of the smoothest skaters wearing the worst clothes can still get away with almost anything if they are that good.

That's my perspective, even though I am sure it would all vary to some degree.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2023, 05:06:54 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I feel like there is such a big difference between what we used to wear and what people wear now, but more than anything pants from brands like Krew or KR3W really were "slim straight" in the fit of them, whereas pants like Dickies 873 Slim Straight are way more loose fitting in the whole leg, being almost bigger overall than the 874 Original Fit, which is a "regular fit" so make of that what you will.

I had seen a few people send back pairs of Dickies 873 or were not happy with them as they thought they were sent baggy pants instead of actual slim fit pants, but the 872 are the slim fit that taper through the leg, way too much for a lot of people to wear comfortably.

If you are interested in the Dickies pants, I would recommend trying any of them on rather than ordering online.

Quite a few people I skate with still prefer the Krew style of pants, be it slightly better cut, more often than not stretch to some degree, but definitely not tight at all, like the super slim style that also came out from Krew and other brands.

It is just down to which brands do what sort of fit, as some that I would have thought to make good pants just felt weird, while others were surprisingly comfortable to me, when I would try on this or that, when it came in.

Now I am just happy in Dickies 874 pants, but i still have a box of Krew jeans / pants around somewhere.

As to the debate about "what looks better" I would say that it is the skater that makes the clothes look better, compared to the clothes that make the skater look better.  All up it is definitely a combination of the two, but I have seen some very well dressed individuals do the worst looking things on a board, whereas some of the smoothest skaters wearing the worst clothes can still get away with almost anything if they are that good.

That's my perspective, even though I am sure it would all vary to some degree.

Something else I don't see mentioned enough is how (skate line, not regular) Dickies run small AF. Their size 34 fits like a 31 or 32. Fucking wild sizing issues over there, just like NB# shoes running small most of the time.

Bought some 874 or something similar one time from a shop's holiday sale. Had to sell or donate my pair because the shop did "final sales" on most of what I ordered.  Learned a valuable lesson and went back to V-Montys and Frickin Stretch chinos from Volcom. Those pants are home. Covid sale buying without trying on those pants was not worth it.  Never again.
Super Champion Fun Zone

opesorry

• Rep: 21
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2023, 07:02:38 AM »
Guilty. Stuck in my ways for sure, I went a long time more into music than skating and didn’t skate for a long time, so just kind of kept with the same style. I’m more ashamed about quitting skating than I am still wearing slim/skinny jeans.

I wear Levi’s 511s for the most part now, which was a big adjustment and mainly due to most skate shoes being too bulky for most of my other jeans. Basically I’m fucking stubborn and scared of change so there’s that lol

ridethegutter

• Rep: 62
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2023, 07:11:20 AM »
I prefer a slim taper style over baggy.  I am too old to be rocking the baggy look.

231st Street

• Rep: -201
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2023, 12:57:34 PM »
Despite posting a lot about baggy pants recently, in my day to die I still do tight, regular or relaxed fit quit often.  Tight is so out of fashion I've found great deals on decent stuff that doesn't look like capri pants in places like Macys backstage

For the non obvious ones (ie Levis that aren't baggy, izod/nautica type pants regular fit), ive been into weatherproof brand lately (usually can get on sale for about 15 bucks at backstage) and workwear type brands. 
« Last Edit: August 06, 2023, 02:00:21 PM by NewRocCity »

macho taildrop

• Rep: 22
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2023, 02:59:30 PM »
I wear black 511s almost exclusively. I'm tall and in my 40s, no the fuck way am I going to start wearing baggy pants now. When I started, I just wanted to dress like DGar and Ray Loco so it was all black slim pants and white tees.

I do rock the carhartt "straight fit" (their version of a slim) at work when I am doing an install. They're actually kind of loose but also tapered.

FWIW, in the real world no one cares/thinks/talks about pants as much as slap. I've never been at the spot and had anyone care or comment negatively on my pants.

231st Street

• Rep: -201
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2023, 04:32:56 PM »

FWIW, in the real world no one cares/thinks/talks about pants as much as slap. I've never been at the spot and had anyone care or comment negatively on my pants.

True-- and yet isn't that why we are here, at least in the pants oriented threads on shoes and gear?  I'm going to start posting about pants more and more as I get downvoted.  Don't care.  I can talk to my normal real life friends about basically anything in the universe about what slim fit pants are comfy to skate in, how baggy is to baggy, etc.

I will say, I do talk with people in real life at the skate park about pants as well.  Yes, this is not a topic of convo in most other venues. Most people also not interested in talking about shoe and wheel materials, etc.

Throwing out another potential option for older heads looking for "slimmer" but not slim fit is Polo Ralph Lauren khaki, blue or classic green pants.  Feel great to skate in versus jeans and can be worn professionally as well.   

I love the Levis as others have said and you can wear anywhere, but do find them harder to skate in as I get older unless pretty baggy/relaxed fit.

macho taildrop

• Rep: 22
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2023, 04:40:30 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

True-- and yet isn't that why we are here, at least in the pants oriented threads on shoes and gear?  I'm going to start posting about pants more and more as I get downvoted.  Don't care.  I can talk to my normal real life friends about basically anything in the universe about what slim fit pants are comfy to skate in, how baggy is to baggy, etc.

I will say, I do talk with people in real life at the skate park about pants as well.  Yes, this is not a topic of convo in most other venues. Most people also not interested in talking about shoe and wheel materials, etc.

Throwing out another potential option for older heads looking for "slimmer" but not slim fit is Polo Ralph Lauren khaki, blue or classic green pants.  Feel great to skate in versus jeans and can be worn professionally as well.   

I love the Levis as others have said and you can wear anywhere, but do find them harder to skate in as I get older unless pretty baggy/relaxed fit.

No, for sure. I like talking about this stuff and no one at the spot wants to hear it so this is great. I just know (speaking personally) I've gotten way too self conscious about my pants because of this place before (which is a me thing, not trying to blame the boards).

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1396
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2023, 06:16:34 PM »
I wear black 511s almost exclusively. I'm tall and in my 40s, no the fuck way am I going to start wearing baggy pants now. When I started, I just wanted to dress like DGar and Ray Loco so it was all black slim pants and white tees.

I do rock the carhartt "straight fit" (their version of a slim) at work when I am doing an install. They're actually kind of loose but also tapered.

idk man, I was at the spot and had to chuckle to myself seeing some grown ass dude skating in 00s Zero style nut huggers this morning  ;)
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

brownjenkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2023, 09:18:42 PM »
I wear Levi's 502 (stretch) and Levi's 541 athletic fit. The 502s are pretty snug in the thigh but I can still move well in them. The 541s are a bit more roomy but they're still a slim look on me. I'm not bodybuilder big by any stretch but I carry a bit more muscle than a typical skater I think. I'm 5'7 and 165, give or take 5lbs depending on the time of year.

I can't do the big pants. Not a good look on me and I definitely feel too old for it. My shirts, pants, jackets, etc are all on the fitted side but definitely not painted anymore. My clothes were tight-tight in the 2000s.

animalflesh

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2023, 07:48:30 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

idk man, I was at the spot and had to chuckle to myself seeing some grown ass dude skating in 00s Zero style nut huggers this morning  ;)

skate clothing trends go in waves, I already see kids in Brooklyn back on the skinny black jeans and it’ll have a snowball effect

Neither one looks better than the other IMO, I wish the world worked in such a way that people would dress in whatever they personally like and what works for them

yourfuckingdad

• Rep: -2
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2023, 08:11:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Something else I don't see mentioned enough is how (skate line, not regular) Dickies run small AF. Their size 34 fits like a 31 or 32. Fucking wild sizing issues over there, just like NB# shoes running small most of the time.

Pretty sure this is actually because Dickies aren't vanity sized, so you're getting a true 34" waist.

ggrimmedd

• Rep: 23
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2023, 10:14:45 AM »
For me 501 93's (100% cotton) are the perfect jeans.

Really good construction, tights are on the loose side but comfortable, after some good sessions they become softer and cozy

Vans Lizzie skate chinos have little taper towards the cuffs, I felt that the pants cut are perfect with a great room in the tights. They are closer to a slim straight (still straight but a tinny tighter)

I tried Dickies 874 but they were too baggy for me, the slim version doesn't fit me too well too

I've been using Zara jeans too, good pants to destroy

I really want to try the vans ranged relaxed, seems a good pant to chill

:p

McBrandt

• Rep: -13
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2023, 10:21:51 AM »
I was all about the Uniqlo slim fit chinos, but I feel like they've gotten slimmer over time, even as I've sized up. The ones from like 8 years ago fit better than the current ones. I had a brief mid-life crisis pre pandemic where i bought a pair of 874 dickies but I felt like I was swimming in them. I realized I felt kinda embarrassed  wearing the same pants I did as a teenager in the 90s and when then got trashed during home renovation projects I didn't mind and never replaced them. I put on my 511s the other day and they felt a bit too tight for me. I like a looser straight fit, but don't know where to go for them now. Been getting the Target brand goodfellow slim straight chinos cause they're cheap but they stretch out and get trashed quick even without skating in them.

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 212
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2023, 10:29:17 AM »
I wear Levi's 502 (stretch) and Levi's 541 athletic fit. The 502s are pretty snug in the thigh but I can still move well in them. The 541s are a bit more roomy but they're still a slim look on me. I'm not bodybuilder big by any stretch but I carry a bit more muscle than a typical skater I think. I'm 5'7 and 165, give or take 5lbs depending on the time of year.

I can't do the big pants. Not a good look on me and I definitely feel too old for it. My shirts, pants, jackets, etc are all on the fitted side but definitely not painted anymore. My clothes were tight-tight in the 2000s.

I found a pair of 541's at the thrift shop and got em because they were a good deal, size, and color, but didn't think/know about the fit.

I tried em on and was like "WTF are these" but quickly realized they kick ass. Slim/straight around the calf and ankle but nice and medium-loose in the thigh/crotch. My favorite jeans so far.

Most days I wear 847's because my job's dress code requires slacks/pants, so the Dickies feel like a good middle ground lol
Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

fernando the skater

• Rep: 116
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2023, 11:25:53 AM »
Dickies 874 may be straight, but I wouldn't go near them for a even vaguely slim fit. With Dickies I wear 872 for slim, but I'm 33/33, and wear 34/34, so they fit a bit looser than on most people.

Carhartt WIP Sid are an option if you want even slimmer, but too tight for me.

MyUserName

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 174
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2023, 11:57:18 AM »
About 30% of the pants I own are baggy, I skate in those and wear slim straight-legs for an every-day fit

I am quite literally the exact same.

As a skinny dude, I realized movement is so much easier skating in loose pants, but for everyday wear I’m slim/regular. I’m a longtime proponent of “wear what fits your body” but the functionality of loose pants while skating can’t be denied.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 540
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2023, 03:36:31 PM »
Dickies 874 may be straight, but I wouldn't go near them for a even vaguely slim fit. With Dickies I wear 872 for slim, but I'm 33/33, and wear 34/34, so they fit a bit looser than on most people.

Carhartt WIP Sid are an option if you want even slimmer, but too tight for me.

I recently switched from 872 to 873 after years of slimmer pants, the only difference I notice is how wide across the leg opening

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2023, 06:38:02 PM »
i rock my black skinnys to this day
tried skating them and they chafed my legs pre crotch blowout
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1031
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2023, 06:40:19 PM »

Did you mean 873 may be straight (but are still loose in the leg?

874 - Original / Regular fit, sits on waist, tapered leg

873 - Slim straight, sits below waist, straight leg

872 - Slim fit, sits below waist, tapered leg

The funny thing is people are often calling the 874 relaxed or baggy now (even shops are listing it with those words), which I guess it is for me going a size up and just putting a belt in them, but the current trends in the fit of pants, along with where it has been and where it is going in terms of how tight / loose is quite interesting, from ultra loose, to ultra tight, then finding middle ground but then going this way and that again depending on who you are or what you want.

Any which way, Dickies sure have been one to bring out a number of different fitting pants more in recent years, compared to their original line (874) and even when 875 was the same style, a flat front no frills style, just bigger wider leg like the double knee without the added material and everything else.  Now the 2020 era 875 has a new cut and completely different fit to what they were when they first came out back in the 00s as loose fit fashion pants.

Probably too much info, especially in a slim pants thread, but I just find it interesting anyway.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.