Author Topic: What's the J Strickland story?  (Read 9422 times)

Democratic Republic Of Mongo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 130
Re: What's the J Strickland story?
« Reply #60 on: December 04, 2023, 10:24:18 PM »
Reynolds had the eye for talented skaters that kept the brand thriving long after Strickland was out of the picture, though. Baker’s beginning image was just silly without great skating to go with it anyway.

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -276
« Reply #61 on: December 04, 2023, 11:25:02 PM »
Reynolds had the eye for talented skaters that kept the brand thriving long after Strickland was out of the picture, though. Baker’s beginning image was just silly without great skating to go with it anyway.

Agree with reynolds having the eye for talent, but the actual font was Jays creation and it’s undoubtedly the most iconic logo board the brand has. This is coming from a massive reynolds fan, but facts are facts.

Southernmost

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 137
« Reply #62 on: December 05, 2023, 12:13:41 AM »
I thought Andrew and J were maybe patching things up recently or did. J was posting a lot of old footy on his 1999Cult page on Instagram. He recently did a Transworld interview and he might not speak highly of Andrew but he didn’t show much or any resentment. Does everyone in this thread realize the 48 Blocks interview is from 2008? Not saying all their history should be brushed under the rug but things happen and people change over the years. Maybe the BAKER font was done as a project or bought from Strickland and we don’t have those exact details. Baker doesn't use the elephant logo and Strickland still runs it with a lot of his artwork. Reynolds was wearing a vintage Baker elephant shirt not too long ago. Thought maybe it was a subliminal message to a possible re release or him and J being cool.

biggums mcgee

• Rep: 14
« Reply #63 on: December 05, 2023, 01:23:29 AM »
He used to post on here back in the day under his real name

Bootleg the company and the videos he produced under that banner were rad as hell.

manysnakes

« Reply #64 on: December 05, 2023, 07:34:14 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Agree with reynolds having the eye for talent, but the actual font was Jays creation and it’s undoubtedly the most iconic logo board the brand has. This is coming from a massive reynolds fan, but facts are facts.

Paul Rand wasn't made an equal partner in IBM despite designing their iconic logo.

whaaaaat

• Rep: 47
« Reply #65 on: December 05, 2023, 08:35:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
In that case, should we rename this thread "Andrew Reynolds kook rip-off confirmed"? If all of what Steickland is saying is true, 90% of what makes Baker and is the basis for Reynolds' status is stolen.
[close]

This is a hilarious conclusion to arrive at.
[close]

It's only hilarious if you're a fanboy and have no real clue about the workings of the industry and what creates a brand. Reynolds without Baker would be what? Another really good skater in the pantheon, fading into oblivion. Instead, he's "The Boss" and everything from the Logo to the video opening melody is directly associated with him. People not only see him as a great skater but as a visionary genius who built one of if not the longest-relevant brand in skate history. If neither the logo nor the melody nor pretty much everything else what made Baker videos instantly unique is his creation, then he's not a visionary but just successfully copying and extending the formula he stole from somebody who's not getting anything out of it. That's also an achievement in itself, sure, but nowhere near as impressive, let alone anywhere near the genius status with which he is regarded.

I was assuming Strickland was lying in those interviews or at least omitting some pivotal moments. If that's not the case, well...

lol. I love Reynolds at least as much as the next guy, but people really think he's a "visionary genius" - I find that a little hard to believe. Obviously he's a good business-man and has an eye for up and coming talent, but I'm not sure that puts one in the rank of "visionary genius."

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 691
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #66 on: December 05, 2023, 09:11:02 AM »
hasnt reynolds been kinda hit n miss with the "eye for up and coming talent" thing?

Democratic Republic Of Mongo

• Rep: 130
« Reply #67 on: December 05, 2023, 10:28:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Paul Rand wasn't made an equal partner in IBM despite designing their iconic logo.

Yep. And the reason people like the Baker logo is because of who and what it is associated with. Other companies could have better logos, but much less people care about them.

Kanye Omari West

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -361
« Reply #68 on: December 05, 2023, 10:33:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
In that case, should we rename this thread "Andrew Reynolds kook rip-off confirmed"? If all of what Steickland is saying is true, 90% of what makes Baker and is the basis for Reynolds' status is stolen.
[close]

[close]

It's only hilarious if you're a fanboy and have no real clue about the workings of the industry and what creates a brand. Reynolds without Baker would be what? Another really good skater in the pantheon, fading into oblivion. Instead, he's "The Boss" and everything from the Logo to the video opening melody is directly associated with him. People not only see him as a great skater but as a visionary genius who built one of if not the longest-relevant brand in skate history. If neither the logo nor the melody nor pretty much everything else what made Baker videos instantly unique is his creation, then he's not a visionary but just successfully copying and extending the formula he stole from somebody who's not getting anything out of it. That's also an achievement in itself, sure, but nowhere near as impressive, let alone anywhere near the genius status with which he is regarded.

I was assuming Strickland was lying in those interviews or at least omitting some pivotal moments. If that's not the case, well...
[close]

lol. I love Reynolds at least as much as the next guy, but people really think he's a "visionary genius" - I find that a little hard to believe. Obviously he's a good business-man and has an eye for up and coming talent, but I'm not sure that puts one in the rank of "visionary genius."

I think at this point in time you could say that considering his legacy. You can be a visionary whether it's business, skateboarding, the business of skateboarding, etc. He's been pretty synonymous with the best talent in skateboarding since 2003 and it's 2023 and he's still showing he knows how to pick em and has influence let alone still shredding. Seems like a visionary to me.

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #69 on: December 05, 2023, 11:52:37 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Sure, but the font isn't what's kept the business successful. No one gets by for decades just because they have a cool logo.

No Wave Comply

• Rep: 143
  • Phantom of the Skatepark
« Reply #70 on: December 05, 2023, 01:16:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

What melody are you referring to specifically? If it’s the one from Baker 3 on, that’s from Lou Reed “Street Hassle” and had nothing to do with J. Strickland. It’s associated with Reynolds/Baker, but they/he didn’t come up with that. It’s just another case of creative appropriation and juxtaposition.
a grunt  a mudhog  a slimedog
a simple servant  a hired hand

“Come in here dear boy, have a gnar, you’re gonna go far!”

Nancy Chin The Manicurist

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 222
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #71 on: December 05, 2023, 01:40:31 PM »
I thought Andrew and J were maybe patching things up recently or did. J was posting a lot of old footy on his 1999Cult page on Instagram. He recently did a Transworld interview and he might not speak highly of Andrew but he didn’t show much or any resentment. Does everyone in this thread realize the 48 Blocks interview is from 2008? Not saying all their history should be brushed under the rug but things happen and people change over the years. Maybe the BAKER font was done as a project or bought from Strickland and we don’t have those exact details. Baker doesn't use the elephant logo and Strickland still runs it with a lot of his artwork. Reynolds was wearing a vintage Baker elephant shirt not too long ago. Thought maybe it was a subliminal message to a possible re release or him and J being cool.

Not sure about his current relationship with Reynolds, but J is most definitely on good terms with Greco.

Almost every interview J does where the topic of the origins of Baker is brought up, he always makes a point to mention that Greco was one of the only people who had a hand in conceptualizing the overall aesthetic of the brand.

Robert Baratheon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 31
« Reply #72 on: December 05, 2023, 04:39:57 PM »
I’m a Baker 2G guy but it’s seems like Baker 3 is most people’s favorite and cemented them in as a top brand. Strickland had nothing to do with that. And nothing since. They sell plenty of boards without the font. If Strickland was such a genius, and Reynolds wasn’t, then shouldn’t Bootleg still be around?

apport

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 293
« Reply #73 on: December 05, 2023, 04:58:41 PM »
yes i agree bootleg should still be around

Sold Out

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 97
« Reply #74 on: December 05, 2023, 05:13:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Sure, but the font isn't what's kept the business successful. No one gets by for decades just because they have a cool logo.

Stussy has entered the chat...

jums

• Rep: -54
« Reply #75 on: December 05, 2023, 06:12:39 PM »
That’s fucked, man. But talk a little about your part in Baker2G? You definitely pulled out some shit on that one we’d never really seen from you before, was there a bit of a new spark there?

Yeah, there were a couple things in there that I was super psyched on but then there was some stuff in there that was just me skating.

I think a lot of my problems after Jump Off A Building came from just living in L.A. as I had never really intended to live there. It was never my plan to move to Cali. It just so happened that Erik was moving out of Elissa’s spot and he needed a roommate. Shit was kinda stale out in West Chester and I didn’t want to leave him hanging so I just did it. But living out in Cali was so unproductive for me. I could never really get into a rhythm. Not having a car for so long and having to depend on other people…. Add to that getting caught up in that lifestyle of chilling and partying, it gets you.

So what ended up happening to you and Baker? Why’d you switch over to their rival, Bootleg?

Things were just getting sour at Baker for me. The whole beef between Baker and Bootleg had started getting in-between the riders and it sucked. I knew all of the Bootleg dudes. I skated with Eldridge and the Team Manager all the time. Those were my homies. I lived with Elissa. Just about the whole damn Bootleg team were friends of mine, which started to become this thing with me and the Baker dudes. They started shitting on me.

I remember I was about to go on a trip to SF with Elissa to meet up with some dudes up there. But since it was technically a Bootleg trip, Baker started tripping on me.

Why did it turn so confrontational between those two companies?

Honestly, I don’t really know for certain. I just go off of what I’ve been able to piece together from everyone and what I got out of it was that it wasn’t even so much Drew as it was a few other dudes. The main sticking point was the fact that kids weren’t able to decipher the difference between the two companies. Art directors make way more fucking money than the pros do and these guys were pissed that J was basically getting paid twice to make the same graphics for both companies. They felt like what they were paying him to make graphics, he was making the same amount or more at Bootleg and kids still can’t tell them apart. They were hurt he was making all this dough and it was getting in Drew’s ear.

Things just got to a point where Drew had to do something about it so he cut J and that’s when shit got bitter. But it sucked because the whole thing when it started was Baker Bootleg. That’s was it was. It was always to be those two companies.

Looking back on it now, things probably started to turn early on when mugs wanted to put money into Bootleg and J refused, wanting to keep things separate. Keep Baker and Bootleg the same, but separate. That’s what really put a monkey wrench in the whole thing because it seemed like to those guys that this dude was out to fuck ‘em over. It just grew from there.

Read the entire interview

https://chromeballincident.blogspot.com/search/label/mike%20maldonado?m=0

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -276
« Reply #76 on: December 05, 2023, 06:56:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Sure, but would it even be a brand without Jay making the logo and videos in the first place?

jums

« Reply #77 on: December 05, 2023, 07:11:55 PM »
Reynolds will be in the hall of fame if there ever is one but dude really doesn’t have the “it” factor like Muska or Penny (both of whom he wanted to be like) did. He only became “cool” during the whole Baker2g PD era until Baker 3. He’s a pretty boring dude and the J.Strickland era Baker helped his skate career enormously, after that it’s whatever.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1980
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #78 on: December 05, 2023, 07:51:22 PM »
yes i agree bootleg should still be around

It got a Life Extension (unfortunately)
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Southernmost

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 137
« Reply #79 on: December 05, 2023, 08:29:17 PM »
hasnt reynolds been kinda hit n miss with the "eye for up and coming talent" thing?

Sure there’s been some misses but I feel like the hits outweigh those easily. Random side note ; KB just posted on his story and tagged Baker saying they kicked of or let go Theotis. KB is also posting a lot of other random stuff that’s interesting if anyone wants to take a look.

jums

« Reply #80 on: December 05, 2023, 09:05:06 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Sure there’s been some misses but I feel like the hits outweigh those easily. Random side note ; KB just posted on his story and tagged Baker saying they kicked of or let go Theotis. KB is also posting a lot of other random stuff that’s interesting if anyone wants to take a look.

Theo is blessed to have had a pro career as long as he has, let alone on Baker, but his time is up. Kader took his spot. 

Mother Goose.

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 746
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #82 on: December 05, 2023, 09:32:41 PM »
Reynolds will be in the hall of fame if there ever is one but dude really doesn’t have the “it” factor like Muska or Penny (both of whom he wanted to be like) did. He only became “cool” during the whole Baker2g PD era until Baker 3. He’s a pretty boring dude and the J.Strickland era Baker helped his skate career enormously, after that it’s whatever.

Reynolds has been cool as fuck since around the time he had the Scream, Resident Evil and Goosebumps boards, or, alternatively, the first notes of organ doner hit.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

jums

« Reply #83 on: December 05, 2023, 09:40:18 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Reynolds has been cool as fuck since around the time he had the Scream, Resident Evil and Goosebumps boards, or, alternatively, the first notes of organ doner hit.

Eh.. to each his own.. Reynolds doesn’t have that “it” factor By himself.. pretty boring personality. Baker and PD crew give him an identity cause before he was doing his best to be like Muska and Penny.

Hefe43

• Rep: 175
« Reply #84 on: December 05, 2023, 11:32:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Eh.. to each his own.. Reynolds doesn’t have that “it” factor By himself.. pretty boring personality. Baker and PD crew give him an identity cause before he was doing his best to be like Muska and Penny.

Bowl cut, bucket hat, baggey pants and beautiful kickflips Reynolds? I thought he had “it” when I was 14. He was also what 19 maybe 20 in the footy from The End.

He hadn’t even started hucking frontside flips of everything yet and he was already a G.

I’ll admit he doesn’t have much of a personality and personally I would call him a nerd from the outside looking in. But his skating does the talking period.

As lame as it sounds Reynolds was in the first THPS with Muska you can’t say he didn’t have “it.” 
Tyshawn seems like the kind of guy to hate everyone at least a little bit

This Thing Of Ours

Jeremykleinsjackrag

• Rep: 6
« Reply #85 on: December 06, 2023, 12:51:25 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Have to agree- look at how many companies have sunk without some sort of instantly recognisable branding, I think regardless of team and steering the vibe in a certain direction, especially for kids who are buying the most shit (I’ve always assumed) sometbing like that big B and the logo text boards are a massive part of the company.

I think that’s why companies like Uma haven’t boomed, numbers etc- whilst FA and affiliates have. You instantly recognise that stuff in videos.

In the eta baker got big it was all kinda similar, simple but noticeable branding- Flip, Zero, Toy, etc

lurker_and_poster

• Rep: 27
« Reply #86 on: December 06, 2023, 02:45:07 AM »
Every couple years the same discussion.
Got Strickland get enough money for his sketches/ filming - absolutely not. 
Going back to 1998 you guys think Baker Bootleg video
become a classic because of Stricklands art work, & filming.
No! I know nobody back then who really cared about the logo / filming.
It was interesting because it was a posse approach - not the next birdhouse video - some homies skating together - dirty and rough - no matter the team, pro or not.
Greco, Boulala, Reynolds, Kirchard, Dollin, Warner Ave Mob, Elissa - you think all this people got properly paid for the skating and lifestyle shots. Not at all.
So since Reynolds had no property on the logo - Strickland had any on the footage?

It was just documentation of a period of time.
And some of the parties involved agreed to publish without no rewards or compensation.

Majority of the people didn’t get anything out of it: Lil Eric, Ali Cairns, Brian Sumner, Jeff Lenoce, Willy Santos, Atiba, Coung, Tung, Marcelle, Brad Hayes, Tony Hawk, Sammy Baptista, Primo, Brian Emmers and manny more where also part of that „hype“.

At one point Andrew and Strickland decide to create a company out of it. So both put on the table what they had: The logo, the face, the backside flip.
One becomes the owner - one the team manager and filmer. Then they decide to split. Andrew was staying as a owner - and Strickland is pissed because he think he gave more then he receive from the company.
This is the story of every disillusional employee ever.
You can not discuss / complain your salary after leaving. You need to fix it before starting.

If it was all about his creative output - why he didn’t start the company himself without Reynolds- or why he just didn’t hired Reynolds - as Tony / birdhouse have done it.
Because Strickland didt had the money to start it himself and because just the label is not enough.
The team behind baker has defined baker.

For sure he didn’t get enough money out from one of skateboarding strongest iconic labels.
But this is the story of every graphic designer and his first good works they have done.

To be honest I was not a fan of the video 1998 - because I was surrounded by harder and tougher Lifestyle back then. I was already focused to getting my stuff done properly. Kids showing off being pissdrunk was plain stupid to me.
But later the development of Baker as a team and brand - Reynolds character development.
But also Stricklands feel for new way of documentation got me.
Looking back I appreciate the work of both.

jums

« Reply #87 on: December 06, 2023, 05:49:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Bowl cut, bucket hat, baggey pants and beautiful kickflips Reynolds? I thought he had “it” when I was 14. He was also what 19 maybe 20 in the footy from The End.

He hadn’t even started hucking frontside flips of everything yet and he was already a G.

I’ll admit he doesn’t have much of a personality and personally I would call him a nerd from the outside looking in. But his skating does the talking period.

As lame as it sounds Reynolds was in the first THPS with Muska you can’t say he didn’t have “it.”

Your reading comprehension skills are poor. I never said he didn’t have “it” skating wise… I’m talking about personality and marketability wise… He’s just a good skater but other than that boring… Baker scene helped him tremendously.

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #88 on: December 06, 2023, 06:41:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Sure, but would it even be a brand without Jay making the logo and videos in the first place?

Yeah, I think so, would just be different

The logo is iconic now but that's because it's stood the test of time. People weren't wowed by it when it came out, it was just a shitty stencil graphic that fit the vibe. How come this argument only comes up with Baker and J and not the countless other companies that had their logos designed by artists?

Should J have been taken care of more financially and probably been given some sort of ownership percentage because of his work early in the brand? Yeah, probably, but to act like the brands entire success came solely from him is silly.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 691
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
« Reply #89 on: December 06, 2023, 06:51:49 AM »

Majority of the people didn’t get anything out of it: Lil Eric, Ali Cairns, Brian Sumner, Jeff Lenoce, Willy Santos, Atiba, Coung, Tung, Marcelle, Brad Hayes, Tony Hawk, Sammy Baptista, Primo, Brian Emmers and manny more where also part of that „hype“.

lol u really know that video well! I havent seen it in a long time but i remember all of these parts  ;D
boulala's part actually really good in that video but the rest of it is whatever

the bootleg 3000 video was WAY ahead of its time imo, way more long lense shots and the way its edited with so much slo mo was really dope.  its mostly all instrumentals too which is dope. OH also the most key thing about this video - it doesnt use hardly ANY known spots. most of the spots from that video THEY put on the map.

I wouldnt say reynolds OWES J or anything silly like that but i think reynolds himself several times has acknowledged that the entire Baker brand idea wouldnt have happened without J. as someone else said if J was truly this amazing businessman or w/e then bootleg would have still been around. You cant say he didnt have top talent, trepasso, grant patterson, scott kane, etc.