Author Topic: Steve Rocco back from the dead?  (Read 19228 times)

ElonMuskaBeats

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -26
Re: Steve Rocco back from the dead?
« Reply #120 on: March 26, 2024, 01:06:05 PM »
If Rocco has any sort of creative input, all these brands will be cancelled within the year. Imagine doing something like the napping negro in 2024.

Cheshire Cat

• Rep: 86
« Reply #121 on: March 26, 2024, 01:10:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
"Rocco went off and did what he did. Obviously, he was quite successful. People often ask if I regret walking away from that. Not at all. Because the way I am and the way he was towards people, like the “Dear George” ad? And some of the things he did with the younger riders on his team? I would’ve never allowed that shit to happen. It would’ve been a different company because I would’ve stopped all that.

I always thought there was something a little creepy about Rocco, too. Not to say that I didn’t like him, but when you think about all the energy he put into World and all the rad stuff he put out, just to sell the company and never be heard from again? That’s not a skater, dude. It’s actually kind of a waste."

-John Lucero / Chrome Ball
[close]

Idk John, seems pretty skater to me. Or at least it doesn’t seem antithetical to the idea of a skateboarder - professional or otherwise.
Secured his giant bag of cash when he could and went and enjoyed his life.

Not like he was going to immediately start a new World Industries board co / edgy magazine or company.
Like he points out , he poured so much energy and effort into those companies it was hardly a waste at all.
[close]

At the end of the day the record speaks. George Powell stayed in skateboarding invested and continued to innovated and promote new skaters.

Lucero and Black Label always pushed a diff image, especially in the 2000s.

Where was Rocco?

I understand the contributions both Lucero and George Powell's companies have made to skateboarding.

I have always been a fan of Black Label and a lot of their notably odd/different skaters. Their full length vids are up there alongside Zero videos in my mind as all time greats. (At least they had an identity / cohesive team which Powell either lacked or squandered for most of their last 25 years).

I just don't agree with the parts I bolded of Lucero's quote. Specifically he mentions the obvious passion and effort from Rocco and his companies (which is to also say nothing about the cultural impact he had) and then goes on to suggest that because he isn't in the business of skateboarding anymore that that somehow makes him not a/less of a skateboarder.

I know Lucero was still actively skating as he's gotten older- he had some driveway / home ramp footage in some later BL videos, and that was nice to see. I know zero about how much time George Powell or Rocco have spent on a skateboard in their later years - but I also don't think that knowledge would change my perception of this nebulous idea of how legitimate their claim to the title of skater is.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1422
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #122 on: March 26, 2024, 01:16:05 PM »
i don't care one way or another, but i see plenty of 40ish skate park dudes with element boards and etnies cuz that's what they did when they were 13 or something.
Support your local skate shop

Dad Board

• Rep: 84
« Reply #123 on: March 26, 2024, 01:22:16 PM »
i don't care one way or another, but i see plenty of 40ish skate park dudes with element boards and etnies cuz that's what they did when they were 13 or something.

those are the loudest dudes on the internet too. Skate once a month for an hour at the local and still feel the need to weigh in on how skateboarding has gotten soft and woke etc. it’s the equivalent of 90 year olds voting for some planet killer because their religious beliefs align with the campaign promises.

Haze

« Reply #124 on: March 26, 2024, 01:22:45 PM »
What is a brand, but a feeling? I’d like to pitch Rocco the following board and lifestyle brands: Antifa Skateboards, L4M3, and INceLL

Nancy Chin The Manicurist

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 222
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #125 on: March 26, 2024, 01:24:36 PM »
Rocco coming out of retirement has caused me to come out of SLAP retirement

Gonna start reading from page 1.

This thread better be good. 

Watson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2295
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #126 on: March 26, 2024, 01:29:52 PM »
Here is a photo I took in 2007 of Rodney Mullen and Greg Lutzka engaged in a conversation while Rocco wears Ugg Boots in the background.

The industry ain't gonna know what it hit it baby!

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1104
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #127 on: March 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM »
At the very least it got people talking about him and the distribution.
Sounds like a win at thjis point.

Mongo Lloyd

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 182
« Reply #128 on: March 26, 2024, 01:32:50 PM »
Here is a photo I took in 2007 of Rodney Mullen and Greg Lutzka engaged in a conversation while Rocco wears Ugg Boots in the background.

This was the day that I learned that men wear Uggs.
Do you get deja vu, huh?

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 657
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #129 on: March 26, 2024, 01:43:49 PM »

;D ;D ;D ;D

OMG, I can't tell if this makes Rocco the best person on the planet or the world's biggest kook. Can he be both?

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

Ninj2

• Rep: -108
« Reply #130 on: March 26, 2024, 02:47:49 PM »
Pontus is shook
But for real. This corny as fuck. Almost as bad as them Britney spear boards.

carbonite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 490
    • frozen in carbonite avatar image
« Reply #131 on: March 26, 2024, 02:49:37 PM »
cant wait for the mostly skateboarding podcast to find out

I don't believe it. need more information
very funny if true tho

Tabletop

• Rep: -70
« Reply #132 on: March 26, 2024, 02:59:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
"Rocco went off and did what he did. Obviously, he was quite successful. People often ask if I regret walking away from that. Not at all. Because the way I am and the way he was towards people, like the “Dear George” ad? And some of the things he did with the younger riders on his team? I would’ve never allowed that shit to happen. It would’ve been a different company because I would’ve stopped all that.

I always thought there was something a little creepy about Rocco, too. Not to say that I didn’t like him, but when you think about all the energy he put into World and all the rad stuff he put out, just to sell the company and never be heard from again? That’s not a skater, dude. It’s actually kind of a waste."

[close]

Idk John, seems pretty skater to me. Or at least it doesn’t seem antithetical to the idea of a skateboarder - professional or otherwise.

Not like he was going to immediately start a new World Industries board co / edgy magazine or company.
Like he points out , he poured so much energy and effort into those companies it was hardly a waste at all.
[close]

At the end of the day the record speaks. George Powell stayed in skateboarding invested and continued to innovated and promote new skaters.

Where was Rocco?

On an island in Hawaii I believe.

Ninj2

« Reply #133 on: March 26, 2024, 03:12:57 PM »
Same food that like this is the same food that like golf and they gonna eat and but I ain’t duckling with this corn ball shit. Not one brand. Remember Fat Dan? Opera?! What? That’s stupider then hockey and you know how much them Mountain Dew yellow ave 2 s or what ever Karen was wearing look funny. Banana foot. And proximity to dill.
But anyways back to asking any one else think Rodney gotbodies in the basement? Like how he cry’s and shit. Like what dude? Rocco is a free styler too. Is this some freestyle felowshit? I think so.

Haze

« Reply #134 on: March 26, 2024, 03:21:36 PM »
valid, all valid. Drone mission is not impossible to Rodneys crib. I see how he cried. lock pick the cellar door because we need to know. Know if he gotbodies

Officer Caruthers

• Rep: 155
« Reply #135 on: March 26, 2024, 03:27:56 PM »

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1194
  • old and in the way
« Reply #136 on: March 26, 2024, 03:35:24 PM »

@Watson I thought for a sec he was wearing a Tostitos shirt and my heart skipped a beat

Ninj2

« Reply #137 on: March 26, 2024, 03:45:43 PM »
valid, all valid. Drone mission is not impossible to Rodneys crib. I see how he cried. lock pick the cellar door because we need to know. Know if he gotbodies
Yeah breh. Think about it. Where all the freestylers go? That’s the biggest cover up I’ve ever seen in my life.
entire skateboard industry is gangsters and thugs. They are capable of anything and truthfully I wouldn’t be suprised if one day they find cia MK ultra files on the bones brigade and you can watch about it on Netflix

Yonnycage

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -102
« Reply #138 on: March 26, 2024, 03:56:02 PM »
Who?

Tear Up a Trick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 112
« Reply #139 on: March 26, 2024, 04:09:46 PM »

If this doesn't get a gnar what even is a gnar?

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 509
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #140 on: March 26, 2024, 04:17:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Where was Rocco?
[close]

I understand the contributions both Lucero and George Powell's companies have made to skateboarding.

I have always been a fan of Black Label and a lot of their notably odd/different skaters. Their full length vids are up there alongside Zero videos in my mind as all time greats. (At least they had an identity / cohesive team which Powell either lacked or squandered for most of their last 25 years).

I just don't agree with the parts I bolded of Lucero's quote. Specifically he mentions the obvious passion and effort from Rocco and his companies (which is to also say nothing about the cultural impact he had) and then goes on to suggest that because he isn't in the business of skateboarding anymore that that somehow makes him not a/less of a skateboarder.

I know Lucero was still actively skating as he's gotten older- he had some driveway / home ramp footage in some later BL videos, and that was nice to see. I know zero about how much time George Powell or Rocco have spent on a skateboard in their later years - but I also don't think that knowledge would change my perception of this nebulous idea of how legitimate their claim to the title of skater is.

It’s not about actively skating, it’s about actively remaining a part of the culture. Both George and Lucero are lifers in that sense, and Rocco cashed out. He was in it for him, and that’s fine but who would trust that cunt with doing anything positive for skateboarding. His entire legacy was negative and destructive.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 276
  • sup dog
« Reply #141 on: March 26, 2024, 04:23:26 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

A gnar is where the
Heart is and the heart is on
Fire like Flameboy.

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 707
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #142 on: March 26, 2024, 04:59:14 PM »
I dunno guys, it might be fun for skateboarding to explore and emphasize a frivolous aesthetic built upon the flamboyance of the Baroque period.

Flabby cold demeanor

• Rep: -20
« Reply #143 on: March 26, 2024, 05:10:13 PM »
The Rocco empire started losing its luster once 101 died.

It wasn’t anywhere as sick as it used to be by the time Round 2 came out.

Deca had a great team, but the brand was ass.

Dan Pageau, Chad Fernandez, A-Team, Enjoi, and Darkstar were World’s jumped the shark moment.

I could also see this Rocco being more like Michael Jordan the Wizards GM vs Bulls Michael Jordan.

Round 2 was still great. I didn't buy World etc. boards back then at all but loved the school yard skating (as we did ALOT of schoolyard skating back then). Agree Deca wasn't great as this was the time Daewon kind of stipped skating street spots. Although I think when Marcus McBridge did everything over the Pier 7 blocks he was on Deca and that was amazing.

Banned from the room

« Reply #144 on: March 26, 2024, 05:24:00 PM »
The Rocco empire started losing its luster once 101 died.

It wasn’t anywhere as sick as it used to be by the time Round 2 came out.

Deca had a great team, but the brand was ass.

Dan Pageau, Chad Fernandez, A-Team, Enjoi, and Darkstar were World’s jumped the shark moment.

I could also see this Rocco being more like Michael Jordan the Wizards GM vs Bulls Michael Jordan.

I lost interest exactly then. The skating was sick but i didn't didn't even look at the product. My little brothers loved some of it tho.

I liked whatever was new Mariano or zoo.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 718
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #145 on: March 26, 2024, 05:30:08 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

those are the loudest dudes on the internet too. Skate once a month for an hour at the local and still feel the need to weigh in on how skateboarding has gotten soft and woke etc. it’s the equivalent of 90 year olds voting for some planet killer because their religious beliefs align with the campaign promises.

^ Yup. And most of them quit for a long time, too. Turboclowns.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

“Skateboarding is truly amazing. Wearing a helmet while hitting a handrail can kook you for life, but being an antisocial weirdo with mystique can earn you a pass.” -Some guy on SLAP

Banned from the room

« Reply #146 on: March 26, 2024, 05:34:35 PM »
Thinking about world has been giving me mini ramp era flash backs.

Like when I got reunited with the ramp we built at a new homies house. I climbed up and did rock fakie. Fakie to fakie rock. 270 axles.

They hadn't seen anyone rip it. Nick had given it to them when he went to college. Eventually they burned it down for a tramp.

I was bummed. Still bummed to this day. Lol. We built that shit starting around rubbish heap Kept building though questionable and we had Ramps on Ramps by the time he left for college. Around Stereos start I think

Best childhood ever. Mad world boards. Blind was it tho. We watched a visual sound before they left for Amherst. Went to maximus one more random day too.

work_lurker

• Rep: 104
  • I've never had a shaved head in my entire life
« Reply #147 on: March 26, 2024, 05:47:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
A gnar is where the
Heart is and the heart is on
Fire like Flameboy.

I see your Haiku
Like Rocco swims in pools of
cash from our wallets
Hopefully not a kook, but if so, fuck it.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1422
« Reply #148 on: March 26, 2024, 05:49:23 PM »
Fuuuuck. I been wearing ugg style boots all winter. No sox
Support your local skate shop

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 553
« Reply #149 on: March 26, 2024, 05:52:31 PM »
So is Bitch finally going to happen? Will Bitch knock those ungrateful kids that did what he did out of the industry finally?
Stay tuned

or don’t.