Author Topic: Is the unflicked tre flip really a tre flip?  (Read 2749 times)

Shtonk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -455
Is the unflicked tre flip really a tre flip?
« on: May 11, 2024, 11:53:55 AM »
I stumbled upon this weird lanky dude on Youtube doing a tutorial for a tre flip that is entirely done via the back foot scoop and thought, ok well that's whack but whatever let it live in its remote corner of the internet. Then I saw Ronnie Kessner do the exact same thing out of a back smith and so far no one seems to notice and/or take issue. If this "technique" is common knowledge and accepted, then @Pine definitely inward heelflipped the Tucson 15(?). Or, which is the school of thinking I subscribe to, these are pressure flips and they rightfully belong into a weird ironic niche in skateboarding.  @Simple Magic made a nice gif of that trick (really enjoed the read!) but I can't embed it on mobile

« Last Edit: May 11, 2024, 12:03:45 PM by Shtonk »

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 344
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Is the unflicked tre flip really a tre flip?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2024, 12:37:35 PM »
yes it is

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

vinithebr

• Rep: -19
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2024, 12:40:43 PM »
With the tre flip back foot placement a pressure flip would have inward motion, and something made it flip, so if you are not putting your foot under the tail and pulling it up it's a treflip

Flicking isn't everything, just the presence of the front foot a good tre flipper there is enough to scare that side of the board and make it rotate

(idk what I'm talking about I suck at these)

ThatIsNotCricket

• Rep: 57
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2024, 01:36:39 PM »
I stumbled upon this weird lanky dude on Youtube doing a tutorial for a tre flip that is entirely done via the back foot scoop and thought, ok well that's whack but whatever let it live in its remote corner of the internet. Then I saw Ronnie Kessner do the exact same thing out of a back smith and so far no one seems to notice and/or take issue. If this "technique" is common knowledge and accepted, then @Pine definitely inward heelflipped the Tucson 15(?). Or, which is the school of thinking I subscribe to, these are pressure flips and they rightfully belong into a weird ironic niche in skateboarding.  @Simple Magic made a nice gif of that trick (really enjoed the read!) but I can't embed it on mobile

Weird lanky dude. Tre flip tutorial. Was it this Brit by any chance?

At 0:55 he seems to genuinely not use his front foot for any flick whatsoever. His scoop is a bit weird though; he hangs his toes off and downwards pretty fucking far.

I think it's still a tre flip, because he says it is, and he's clearly an official referee of some sorts.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2024, 01:51:36 PM by ThatIsNotCricket »

Shtonk

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2024, 01:46:16 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

At 0:55 he seems to genuinely not use his front foot for any flick whatsoever. His scoop is a bit weird though; almost like a little 'scoop-flick' in one. Doesn't look great.

I think it's still a tre flip, because he says it is, and he's clearly an official referee of some sorts.

Yeah that's the one. I know it still flips outwards as opposed to the OG pressure flip. But I don't think this should be a legit tre flip. Otherwise why isn't a pressure flip a legit inward heel?

Doesn't it create a kind of uncanny valley repulsion for anyone else when you see that Kessner trick and his front foot actually lifts instead of dipping?

slippy

• Rep: 87
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2024, 01:52:32 PM »
the board flipped eh? 
people who refuse to use apple products can blow my fucking stupid hog

Shtonk

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2024, 01:58:11 PM »
the board flipped eh?

So Jeff inward heeled the Tucson set eh? No such thing as an illusion flip for you either?

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
  • Gnar Kook
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2024, 02:02:22 PM »
Orgasm with a limp bizkit

ThatIsNotCricket

• Rep: 57
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2024, 02:07:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

At 0:55 he seems to genuinely not use his front foot for any flick whatsoever. His scoop is a bit weird though; almost like a little 'scoop-flick' in one. Doesn't look great.

[close]

Yeah that's the one. I know it still flips outwards as opposed to the OG pressure flip. But I don't think this should be a legit tre flip. Otherwise why isn't a pressure flip a legit inward heel?

Doesn't it create a kind of uncanny valley repulsion for anyone else when you see that Kessner trick and his front foot actually lifts instead of dipping?

I don't really see what you mean with the Kessner one. We're talking about the flip back smith tre flip out, in that latest NB part right? I do see a front foot flick there, although it doesn't really slide forward or anything. His back foot is definitely putting in extra work there. I think its just an awkward (looking) one because its out of a back smith, but the scoop and flick elements are there.

Cheshire Cat

• Rep: 80
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2024, 02:14:28 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

At 0:55 he seems to genuinely not use his front foot for any flick whatsoever. His scoop is a bit weird though; he hangs his toes off and downwards pretty fucking far.

Really made me laugh.

As did that horrendous thumbnail. I know I fucking hate and rally against the ender-in-thumbnail idiocy but choosing the worst possible still is not quite what I had in mind.
I mean come on, it looks like it's hitting the ground.

Blind Fisherman

• Rep: 79
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2024, 02:30:38 PM »
As someone who does 360 flips more than he should, you don’t need to flick them very much at all. If you flick as hard as you scoop, it’s going to turn into a nightmare flip bullshit trick. It’s like 75-80% scoop and 20-25% flick more often than not.

kookdusoleil

• Rep: 58
  • Have fun out there
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2024, 02:44:28 PM »
As someone who does 360 flips more than he should, you don’t need to flick them very much at all. If you flick as hard as you scoop, it’s going to turn into a nightmare flip bullshit trick. It’s like 75-80% scoop and 20-25% flick more often than not.

Totally agree. Flicking a 360 flip too much is actually a hindrance

oldfart

• Rep: 24
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2024, 02:58:33 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Totally agree. Flicking a 360 flip too much is actually a hindrance

"It's all in the scoop" Stefan Janoski

Mongo Lloyd

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 175
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2024, 03:31:08 PM »
Tre flips are literally all back foot.
Do you get deja vu, huh?

BootsWithTheFerg

• Rep: -45
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2024, 03:39:42 PM »
Expand Quote
the board flipped eh?
[close]

So Jeff inward heeled the Tucson set eh? No such thing as an illusion flip for you either?

Quintessential youtube brain here bud no idea what the fuck your talking about but even if anyone did ensure you it would not matter in the slightest and nobody cares about. Sames goes for whatever the fuck this thread is who cares.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 208
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2024, 04:45:31 PM »
I can’t tre but if I could make my board spin 360 and flip at the same time and roll away I would tell people I did a tre flip.

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2216
  • computer says no
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2024, 05:22:31 PM »
I saw this vid a couple of months ago and learned it... after popping tres for at least a couple decades, I got my first one like his in about an hour. I'm really partial to impossibles, so mine connected a bit more, but I liked the way it felt doing it... after I got the gist of it, I was tripping out on how much easier they were. Having said, I still default to the pop/flick out of habit.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1109
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2024, 05:35:43 PM »
This is how I tre flipped on the stereo vinyl cruiser

Ninj2

• Rep: -100
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2024, 06:24:57 PM »
It’s a pressure flip and that shit and has been given a pass way too long even for you nerds.

Ninj2

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2024, 06:28:49 PM »

Crust

• Rep: 45
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2024, 07:06:11 PM »
Jeff's inward heels are mobbed. While they aren't the most aesthetically pleasing, they are in fact still flipping.

A lot of people's switch hardflips have that pressure illusion thing going on though where it doesn't actually flip.

I wouldn't put these tre flips into that category, but that one at :55 is indeed sus as was pointed out above

Banned from the room

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2024, 09:10:06 PM »
Its all the same. I like to tre by flipping it with the wheel. My trucks are too loose to be flicking it

kookdusoleil

• Rep: 58
  • Have fun out there
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2024, 09:17:27 PM »
Jeff's inward heels are mobbed. While they aren't the most aesthetically pleasing, they are in fact still flipping.

A lot of people's switch hardflips have that pressure illusion thing going on though where it doesn't actually flip.

I wouldn't put these tre flips into that category, but that one at :55 is indeed sus as was pointed out above

I know I’m in the minority but I like those. I’m ok if it doesn’t actually flip. As long as it looks good.   

Scarecrow Radio

• Rep: 31
  • we are the music makers
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2024, 03:28:04 PM »
Another critically acclaimed award-winner of a thread by Shtonk

friendly dave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 742
  • grinding to a halt
    • grindingtoahalt avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2024, 04:25:19 PM »
Wasn't this Chris Cole's death blow or whatever trick in the one of the last battle at the berrics? He called it a 360 underflip i think.
Because you can't kill and idea, and we will not be ruled!

the visuals are also mad visual yo
FTW

Ninj2

« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2024, 06:41:15 PM »
Brehs if you do them like that and call them tre flips i guess that’s ok. 360 cickflip its own thing. A more original lineage of the so called tricks identity. Some where between a pressure flip and an actual 360 cickflip is where most people land. That guy in the video is doing pressure flips. Just like mike mo. Fuck golf.

Steely Daniel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 464
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2024, 07:20:47 PM »
The change from calling it a 360 flip or three/3 flip to tre flip must have happened while I deeked out of skateboarding entirely in the mid-2000s. I can't write or say that shit without internally cringing. I know I'm wrong or, at the very least in the minority and have said this all before but yeah... Treflip is the corniest shit ever to me I am sorry. I'm getting old I know. I still love you all though.

Banned from the room

« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2024, 10:07:30 PM »
In like 1990-1993 flicking it hard and seeing it meatball was fine. Jeff dechezerae that 10" flat as fuck and low 15" wb.

Baby boards and beyond. No way. One motion. The more wheel the better. Rip it with the Uber scoop and trap that bitch. Wah bap.

I wish I had the heart to breathe life back into mine. I just can't handle those types of shinners sometimes. But I think having the kickflip be the primary and on call trick is more important.
It's more useful.

Tre flipper to fakie o na bank is more my speed. It's good enough for me. But it's not a tre.

This is the flip in summer. I'm ready af. A d I got an I phone today!!!

Everything is getting filmed always. Starting as soon as I find a plan.

Lets goooooooo
« Last Edit: May 12, 2024, 10:16:26 PM by Uncle Flea »

Yakusoku2

• Rep: 45
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2024, 11:04:18 PM »
The change from calling it a 360 flip or three/3 flip to tre flip must have happened while I deeked out of skateboarding entirely in the mid-2000s. I can't write or say that shit without internally cringing. I know I'm wrong or, at the very least in the minority and have said this all before but yeah... Treflip is the corniest shit ever to me I am sorry. I'm getting old I know. I still love you all though.

I really understand you. I skated from 1999 to 2009 and we called them mostly サブロクフリップ and sometimes, in English, three sixty flip. That treflip word didn’t exist in Japan during that period, at least in my small town. I don’t know what 「tre」 means tho. I would prefer calling them three hundred and sixty flip before calling them treflip.

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2024, 03:04:54 AM »
Nah