Author Topic: Shanghai Olympic Qualifiers  (Read 2534 times)

rawbertson.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 702
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Shanghai Olympic Qualifiers
« on: May 18, 2024, 01:24:59 PM »
Does anyone have link ? All I can find is highlights

Style Police

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 802
Re: Shanghai Olympic Qualifiers
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2024, 03:16:09 PM »

Shtonk

• Rep: -491
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2024, 04:41:33 AM »
For the actual qualifiers you have to register on the Olympic site, the streams are on there. Semis and Finals are on YT.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 702
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2024, 07:03:24 AM »
Thanks! Of course the semi got posted to YouTube right after I posted this haha
My friend used to say “I am going to summon the bus” and pull out a smoke because the bus would always come the moment he lit one  ;D

Shtonk

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2024, 07:53:54 AM »
I've been wondering what's going on with the sponsorship agreements in these. Noticed both Liz and Coco, both not on Nike, rocking black shirts with black tape over where the logo would be. I know Nike sponsors Team Japan for the Olympics so is this some kind of loophole where they don't have to wear the official team uniforms at a qualifier and instead have to wear a regular Nike item but are free to tape over the logo? Rayssa wasn't doing the same to her Adidas logo.

theoriginalgoon

• Rep: -69
  • eight equals d
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2024, 08:20:28 AM »
Laughed so hard when the dude said to tell an artist to draw a californian skater it would be brandon hoban. lmao
Me: I found skate Jesus.

Slap: Yeah, well maybe if he does the crucifix switch I will believe it.

chudzinski

• Rep: -2
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2024, 09:09:26 AM »
Laughed so hard when the dude said to tell an artist to draw a californian skater it would be brandon hoban. lmao

The announcers are god awful

mareo

• Rep: -342
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2024, 09:55:49 AM »
The level those guys skate at is crazy.

I wonder how that Ginwoo kid is going to evolve. Reminds me of Salabanzi in the sense that all his tricks are variations of one. Is he eventually film street parts and try to appeal to a more core audience or is he going to stay purely a contest skater?

Quote from: I sniff my own butthole all the time
2nd vote would be for PJ. sometimes it is a fine command of the english language to say nothing and he extended that to skating. PJ's plan B part is the emperor's new clothes.

Shtonk

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2024, 10:33:23 AM »
Whats the Deal with the semi stream missing the first runs for both men and women??

lurkluke

• Rep: 198
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2024, 01:18:15 PM »
Lol'd when the commentator said Ginwoo was in front of his home crowd.

Shtonk

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2024, 02:05:30 PM »
Yuto didn't even make semis? What is going on?

smellymoron69

• Rep: -17
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2024, 02:36:42 PM »
wow ginwoo's style is awful and seems to somehow be getting worse

Fecal Fury

• Rep: 61
  • 1800-18-18-18
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2024, 02:50:54 PM »

I wonder how that Ginwoo kid is going to evolve.

Here's hoping he does because holy smokes is that painful on the eyes.

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 466
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2024, 02:59:56 AM »
The level people are at is indeed crazy and yet Joslin and Kairi were the only people I felt like watching do anything at all. I enjoy watching contests and watch pretty much every SLS etc but come on the real skater to contest robot ratio should be at least 50-50.

ThatIsNotCricket

• Rep: 60
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2024, 07:37:40 AM »
wow ginwoo's style is awful and seems to somehow be getting worse

This is a classic case of the growth spurt. Symptoms include stick-thin limbs growing at a pace that's impossible for the brain to keep up with and process properly, leading to a loss of control and power. Ginwoo is sticking to his pre-growth spurt technique for the moment, folding himself into a more and more awkward and graceless stance, but unfortunately that's a dead end street.

What he needs to do is obvious: a reboot and rewiring of his skate brain (plus a yearly update), to align with his body. There'll be certain doors closing forever in the process, but also new opportunities presenting themselves. I'm speaking from experience: I had to stop making a fool of myself trying manual combo's when I hit puberty in 1995, but with my length now I'm expecting to nollie flip trash cans without breaking a sweat real soon.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2024, 07:50:54 AM by ThatIsNotCricket »

TrainWreck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -76
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2024, 08:45:47 AM »
I might be wrong, but has Nyjah lost his mojo? I know he turns 30 this year, but he needs to find his Form back for the olympics

chudzinski

• Rep: -2
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2024, 01:34:07 PM »
I might be wrong, but has Nyjah lost his mojo? I know he turns 30 this year, but he needs to find his Form back for the olympics

Yeah he seems bummed. I feel like his goal was an Olympics win. It’s a young man’s game out there and he might be aging out.

Troubadour26

• Rep: 105
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2024, 09:50:50 PM »
I thought Nyjah performed well. Fool nollie heelflip noseblunted a handrail & switch heel frontboarded one in a run. It’s probably safe to not show all of his cards even this far away from the actual Olympics. I can’t remember whether it was a nine club of hawk vs wolf but it was interesting listening to him speak about the approach to contests and saving your big tricks because judges will score higher for things you’re not spamming every contest.

Southernmost

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 139
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2024, 10:07:18 PM »
Jagger seems pretty insufferable but damn does he have a pretty nice bag of tricks. Switch back noseblunt the big hubba, bs flip Fakie nosegrind a round handrail. His style seems to have gotten slightly better, he used to do the whacky wavy arms much worse. But he still seems like a douche overall, hard flexing and self cheering after his runs. Evil Jaebing. Jah seemed washed in his finals runs. He’s lucky he did that cab back noseblunt. Too many raves are catching up to him. Not in your early 20’s forever. I was low key rooting for Joslin. Just hucking shit, going big and fast. Kairi is really fun to watch as well. Bummer he didn’t land his best tricks. Heelflip back noseblunt is so sick.

Troubadour26

• Rep: 105
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2024, 10:44:15 PM »
But he still seems like a douche overall, hard flexing and self cheering after his runs. Evil Jaebing.

To Jagg or to Jaeb

lurkluke

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2024, 12:27:13 AM »
I thought Nyjah performed well. Fool nollie heelflip noseblunted a handrail & switch heel frontboarded one in a run. It’s probably safe to not show all of his cards even this far away from the actual Olympics. I can’t remember whether it was a nine club of hawk vs wolf but it was interesting listening to him speak about the approach to contests and saving your big tricks because judges will score higher for things you’re not spamming every contest.

Except they always score crook nollie flip super high. I think Gustavo got in the 90s for his?

OwlGreen

• Rep: -128
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2024, 03:34:40 AM »
How the fuck are they gonna give Hoban a 78 for a perfect flip nosegrind the middle of the awkward yellow hubba? Who the fuck are these idiot judges?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2024, 04:30:49 AM by OwlGreen »

Burt Ward

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 524
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2024, 04:20:28 AM »
If I setup tricks like this, I would apologise to everyone's eyes.

Now, we used to say we put on our tights to put on the world. So I don't think it tarnishes the image at all.

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 488
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2024, 05:15:26 AM »
The level those guys skate at is crazy.

I wonder how that Ginwoo kid is going to evolve. Reminds me of Salabanzi in the sense that all his tricks are variations of one. Is he eventually film street parts and try to appeal to a more core audience or is he going to stay purely a contest skater?

He's destined to be a contest stinker. No way his style evolves into something that will give him a respectable street career. There are loads of pros who didn't necessarily have a 'good' style as a kid or usually much of one at all, but none who started off that badly surely. You can't grow out of that. I started following him on IG when he must've been about 9 and if anything it's gotten worse.
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 309
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2024, 05:52:01 AM »

This is fucked.

newMe

• Rep: 19
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2024, 06:47:33 AM »
"Hold on lemme tie my shoes real quick..."

gumsole

• Rep: 22
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2024, 12:40:36 PM »

has ginwoo done anything fakie or nollie before? I only see the same fs blunt / bigflip board tricks everytime.

lurkluke

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2024, 01:52:42 PM »
Watching Ginwoo is crazy because you're like "ew this kid sucks" then he does a backside doubleflip on transition in a run, where most people do a kickturn or just get off their board, and it should be gross but it's a backside double flip transition in a run and you're like "whaaa?"

Then he does a blunt bigspin, and a laser boardslide or something and it all looks like shit but... it's kinda crazy like.

And he annoys a lot of people for how he looks and his tricks. And he wins a lot. And he is sponsored by Jart. None of it makes sense.

I think I'm a fan.

Christmas Complete

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 814
  • You better shut up, Don
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2024, 02:00:27 PM »
Expand Quote
But he still seems like a douche overall, hard flexing and self cheering after his runs. Evil Jaebing.
[close]

To Jagg or to Jaeb

I usually Jaeb right after I Jagg. Also, and again, Ginwoo is an abomination.
Andy Anderson, I cannot sanction your buffoonery.

Cheshire Cat

• Rep: 83
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2024, 03:04:35 PM »
Watching Ginwoo is crazy because you're like "ew this kid sucks" then he does a backside doubleflip on transition in a run, where most people do a kickturn or just get off their board, and it should be gross but it's a backside double flip transition in a run and you're like "whaaa?"

Then he does a blunt bigspin, and a laser boardslide or something and it all looks like shit but... it's kinda crazy like.

And he annoys a lot of people for how he looks and his tricks. And he wins a lot. And he is sponsored by Jart. None of it makes sense.

I think I'm a fan.

This cracked me the fuck up.
I was watching a Tampa run of his to get a sense of his style/trick selection people were talking about in here and had a moment during a bs double flip where I thought there's no way that was a Jart board. But yah, there we go. Jart. Ginweird.