Author Topic: Things You Are Stoked On But Not Stoked On  (Read 709550 times)

MorningSesh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 76
Re: Things You Are Stoked On But Not Stoked On
« Reply #6330 on: November 07, 2020, 03:11:11 PM »
My new job pays decent and offers great benefits & decent time off but i’m 3 weeks in and not liking it. I think about quitting nearly every day im there and know I’m probably not going to find something else that pays as well and offers decent benefits/time off, etc.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6331 on: November 09, 2020, 07:04:30 PM »
It has been nearly a year to the day that my life completely changed its trajectory.

I'm thrilled and I'm bummed. Life has been a lot harder and a lot easier.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
« Reply #6332 on: November 10, 2020, 01:51:30 AM »
Expand Quote

Theres a little kid next to my house that always watches me skate my 1/4 pipe. His mom mentioned last week that he wants to skate someday, so that translates to me that he needs his own setup. Stoked that he will be stoked when he gets home and sees this by his door...not stoked for me because thats my last little board. :)
[close]

This legit warmed my heart. You are amazing.

@Seventyfrigginseven good work. that kid is gonna be stoked

Not really close to the same sitch but when I was a teacher I had a student that was super into skating but told me he didn't have a favorite skater. I went out and bought him a skate mag and gave it to him in hopes of him falling deeper into the rabbit hole. He was super stoked

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #6333 on: November 11, 2020, 09:25:25 AM »
getting medical care i avoided for years. i was at the jawdoc today for the first time. i'll probably get sort of a retainer to wear at night since i am clencher, i have "abnormally well developed jaw muscles" too, which sounds cool, but apparently is a problem. that jaw has to chill when i sleep. i gotta get my teeth done first , get the wisdom ones removed and so on, so now i gotta go to an actual dentist. and then i'll get that retainer.

and on top of that i seem to have an abscess on my tailbone. shit sucks. my doc said i actually will need to go to a surgeon for that since he can't remove it himself. it's not that bad rn actually, hoping they got time next week to fix this up.

stoked about having actual doctors that seem to give a shit about me as well as access to them, but not stoked on my anxiety attacks when i go to the doc because i always think i have superaidscancer or something. i feel it getting better the more i get used to it.

MorningSesh

• Rep: 76
« Reply #6334 on: November 11, 2020, 11:05:50 AM »
getting medical care i avoided for years. i was at the jawdoc today for the first time. i'll probably get sort of a retainer to wear at night since i am clencher, i have "abnormally well developed jaw muscles" too, which sounds cool, but apparently is a problem. that jaw has to chill when i sleep. i gotta get my teeth done first , get the wisdom ones removed and so on, so now i gotta go to an actual dentist. and then i'll get that retainer.

and on top of that i seem to have an abscess on my tailbone. shit sucks. my doc said i actually will need to go to a surgeon for that since he can't remove it himself. it's not that bad rn actually, hoping they got time next week to fix this up.

stoked about having actual doctors that seem to give a shit about me as well as access to them, but not stoked on my anxiety attacks when i go to the doc because i always think i have superaidscancer or something. i feel it getting better the more i get used to it.
Fuck i looked up what a tail bone abscess because it sounds like what I might have. I really think I have one too. Im really fucking hoping i don’t need surgery also. It’s mostly just uncomfortable but painful to touch.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #6335 on: November 11, 2020, 11:31:37 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Fuck i looked up what a tail bone abscess because it sounds like what I might have. I really think I have one too. Im really fucking hoping i don’t need surgery also. It’s mostly just uncomfortable but painful to touch.
just get it checked, it's a very minor surgery, just a few cuts at most.

it's like a same day in and out thing. will probably take 10 mins or so and they will just numb my ass, then i have to figure out how to get home without feeling my ass i guess. no need to stay at a hospital.

so nothing to be too worried about.

EdLawndale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1079
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #6336 on: November 16, 2020, 01:18:48 PM »
A young man that I mentor sent me a text late last night asking me for money because he was going to get of the graveyard shift job he just started working and had no ride home. He seemed genuinely not stoked.

So I told him I would pick him up when he got of and drive him home, intending to get back home and sleep for a couple hours before going to my own work. I was not stoked on this but wanted to help the kid.

I had eaten a Big Mac and had a little bit of bubbleguts but it was no big deal (stoke level: ambivalent)

So, I got about 3 hours of sleep and then woke up at 5am, picked him up in DTLA and dropped him of in what used to be known as South Central. He went into his place and it seemed like we were both stoked on that.

Then I hit a huge pothole on my way back to my own home and blew my tire out. Defintely not stoked on that.

Luckily I have Triple A (stoke!). But Triple A told me that, due to Covid, I could not ride in the tow truck driver's cab and would have to arrange my own transportation to the tire shop (not stoked!). This basically meant I would have to skate 5 miles to the tire shop, which I was prepared to do but not stoked on.

Stranded, I also had to go to the bathroom (number 2) really badly by this point and it was too early for anything to be open. The 7/11 next door didn't have public restrooms (not stoked) and the CVS nearby didn't open for an hour or so (also not stoked).

I was desperate so I took a roll of TP I keep in the trunk and headed over to what looked like an abandoned bldg (it had an "AVAILABLE" sign outside) across the street, intending on jumping the fence and dooking behind the bldg in relative privacy (not really stoked on that).

Literally as soon as I jumped over the front gate and started scoping out places to take a dump, by happenstance a car pulled up to the gate (not stoked). Then it became clear she was not just pulling a u-turn when she actually got out to open the gate and had just seen me jump their gate (way not stoked).

I decided to abandon the public dooking and I just waited for her to open the gate so I could walk out it without having to jump the gate again (kinda stoked I didn't have to jump it again). She gave me an evil eye as I walked out, but she didn't say anything. I mumbled, "Sorry, I went into the wrong place." So, I was not stoked that I still had to go number 2 really badly but very, very stoked that some lady didn't walk up on me in the middle of me dooking in the back of her store.

I slept in my car for an hour (kinda stoked) and the number two brewing in my belly somewhat subsided (stoked). When I woke up, I walked over to CVS and had a very satisfying dook on a proper toilet in a proper restroom (very, very stoked!).

Thankfully, when the tow truck finally arrived, the driver was a skateboarder and he said he really dgaf if I ride in the cab with him, he wasn't gonna leave me behind. It was a pleasant drive. We stayed masked up and shot the shit about skateboarding.

So, he got me and my car to the tire shop safe and sound. I was stoked on that.

Then the guy at the tire shop told me it would be $300 for a new tire and a wheel alignment. I was not stoked on that but still kind of stoked on the fact that I would be getting home soon.

tl;dr:
Things I am stoked on: getting the young man home safely, dooking in a real bathroom and not being caught dooking by a female while trespassing on her property, meeting a fellow skateboarder who wouldn't leave me stranded, avoiding a 5 mile skate, getting myself home safely.

Things I am not stoked on: hitting a pothole, being stranded, missing work, paying $300.

Overall: Stoked
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 01:46:34 PM by EdLawndale »
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

Sick Duck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 88
« Reply #6337 on: November 16, 2020, 01:22:48 PM »
300 bucks for one tire? Unless you have some crazy car you got ripped off

straight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6338 on: November 16, 2020, 01:31:02 PM »
you ever get those internal farts . like the ones that make it to your butthole but don’t actually come out but definitely still make a fart noise . my gi is fucked
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #6339 on: November 16, 2020, 01:40:15 PM »

$200 for the name brand tire. $100 for the wheel alignment.

Dr-Feelgood

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • Hello, i love you, won't you tell me your name?
« Reply #6340 on: November 16, 2020, 10:13:52 PM »
its meant to be over 30 degrees all week, i love summer but fuck working outside in this heat

We may not know what skateboarding is
But we sure as hell know what it aint
Wait we know what it is now too -
Falling down and gettin back up

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1351
« Reply #6341 on: November 17, 2020, 01:13:39 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Do you drive a Tesla or a big truck? Tire shops are rough. I bought some bitchin AT tires for my rig and the tire shop was going to charge me $190/per, so I ordered them online for 130/per and paid $120 for mount/balance/disposal.
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #6342 on: November 17, 2020, 01:37:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Do you drive a Tesla or a big truck? Tire shops are rough. I bought some bitchin AT tires for my rig and the tire shop was going to charge me $190/per, so I ordered them online for 130/per and paid $120 for mount/balance/disposal.

Yeah, they kind of had me over a barrel as I just wanted to get home.

Gary Bucket

• Rep: 42
« Reply #6343 on: November 17, 2020, 03:49:41 PM »
Colder weather is weeding out the more annoying kids at the skatepark, making weekday sessions possible. And while it’s a badge of honor to go out and get it when it’s cold and dark, obviously it’s harder.

Time to look for warehouses and parking lots

Sick Duck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 88
« Reply #6344 on: November 17, 2020, 04:27:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

yeah tire shops are big time ripoffs u always gotta shop around. You didn’t have a spare tire? I just got a whole set of hankooks for my truck, 500 with alignment

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1351
« Reply #6345 on: November 17, 2020, 06:04:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
yeah tire shops are big time ripoffs u always gotta shop around. You didn’t have a spare tire? I just got a whole set of hankooks for my truck, 500 with alignment

exactly. so many tire shops are fronts too. shady af, milking it from both ends
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #6346 on: November 17, 2020, 06:20:23 PM »
Yeah, I hear both of you. For some reason, the newer models of my car have decided to ditch the idea of a spare in the trunk.

theSketchLord

• Rep: 41
    • https://images.scribblelive.com/2021/1/4/ca9a0ca8-586d-41e3-ad94-131825707ea0.gif avatar image
« Reply #6347 on: November 22, 2020, 04:30:48 AM »
We went into lockdown in SA just as I paid $500 for a new bike, dude was like
"I'll take it overnight and put some thorn proof tubes on and put tougher pedals on"

That was 6 days ago and I still can't pick it up until tomorrow and had to get the stinky bus to work tonight.

"Broke the tail, like a well oiled snail"

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
« Reply #6348 on: November 27, 2020, 12:49:54 PM »
Vent City just put a really good Mason Silva interview out, but in it I'm pretty sure that Ryan Lay refers to Blade Runner as a Paul Verhoeven movie

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #6349 on: November 27, 2020, 12:51:57 PM »
Vent City just put a really good Mason Silva interview out, but in it I'm pretty sure that Ryan Lay refers to Blade Runner as a Paul Verhoeven movie

lmao

Yu Dum

« Reply #6350 on: November 30, 2020, 09:28:27 AM »
Finished The Sopranos last night. I'm going to restart it as soon as my buddy gives me my copy of season 1 back, but man... I haven't been that invested in a show in so long.

Blueabyssofthisss

« Reply #6351 on: November 30, 2020, 09:55:48 AM »
Those moments when you’re trying a switch trick and somebody try’s to flex on you by bragging about the time they learned that trick you’re trying. Then you point out it’s switch and they instantly shut up hahaha

lamfordie

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6352 on: November 30, 2020, 12:36:00 PM »
Been so anxious about getting finger printed cuz I was worried my new job would find something even though I have no criminal record but still anxious as hell. Got fingerprinted and I just got an email saying its all good and I can start my new job tomorrow. I feel so much better now

EXTRA SPICY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 323
  • Low Scovilles
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6353 on: December 05, 2020, 08:03:27 PM »
Myself.
We need Malto to release the pic of Biebel drunk in an elevator with his wiener hanging out.

rawr1922

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 107
« Reply #6354 on: December 05, 2020, 10:04:44 PM »
Been so anxious about getting finger printed cuz I was worried my new job would find something even though I have no criminal record but still anxious as hell. Got fingerprinted and I just got an email saying its all good and I can start my new job tomorrow. I feel so much better now

Congrats on the new job! Imagine the anxiety level from a lie detector test. Would blow up the machine or pass out in the seat

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -237
« Reply #6355 on: December 19, 2020, 02:25:30 AM »
Finally got my infected tooth pulled out. They took my 4 wisdom teehh to plus the infected tooth which was right next to the wisdom. Happy to finally have them out but this shit hurts. It’s 4am and I’m awake cuz the pain woke me up at 3.
The dentist gave me a paper that said I would not be getting any prescription pain pills because studies show that a combination of Tylenol and ibuprofen have been shown to work more effectively than opioids.
I did at least get some Tylenol 3 from my dad but that shit weak af.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

Dr-Feelgood

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6356 on: December 19, 2020, 01:53:47 PM »
I recently got myself out of a pretty toxic job which was heavily weighing on my mental and physical health which is good but now im unemployed and gotta start making some moves before i spend all my savings just to survive

theSketchLord

• Rep: 41
    • https://images.scribblelive.com/2021/1/4/ca9a0ca8-586d-41e3-ad94-131825707ea0.gif avatar image
« Reply #6357 on: December 20, 2020, 07:06:04 AM »
I recently got myself out of a pretty toxic job which was heavily weighing on my mental and physical health which is good but now im unemployed and gotta start making some moves before i spend all my savings just to survive

I've left a few jobs like this (mainly in sales based roles), leaving is always the better option.
Even when it was tough my partner always said it was better than me coming home pissed off and depressed all the time.

I sorted my xmas weed but it's left me a tad financially fucked til xmas eve.
"Broke the tail, like a well oiled snail"

Dr-Feelgood

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6358 on: December 20, 2020, 08:50:30 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I've left a few jobs like this (mainly in sales based roles), leaving is always the better option.
Even when it was tough my partner always said it was better than me coming home pissed off and depressed all the time.

I sorted my xmas weed but it's left me a tad financially fucked til xmas eve.

I feel you on that, lifes too short to be unhappy 5 days a week.

beandemon

• Rep: 180
« Reply #6359 on: December 21, 2020, 01:29:19 AM »
My ex has been making overtures. She’s pretty self involved and the logistical barriers to anything working are higher than ever. Might arrange a rendezvous over the holidays, though.