Author Topic: hey you! yeah, you! mr. industry magazine guy!  (Read 8532 times)

grimcity

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2214
  • computer says no
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: hey you! yeah, you! mr. industry magazine guy!
« Reply #60 on: April 23, 2008, 05:17:18 PM »
I think our collective "I don't give a shit what people think about me and my skating" mindset just made it really easy for certain people to present skateboarding's Britney Spears to the general public and make some bank off of skating's popularity. I hate any and all skate shows that present skateboarding in a bad light, or in Sheck's case, presenting skateboarding as a serious, highly competitive  career (versus a show that focuses on skateboarding being something awesomely stupid and fantastic, and something that should be done forever because it's fun).

Ah, and going back to the "not giving a shit" mentality that I think a lot of us have or had... thing is, it's really easy to have a "fuck everyone but other skaters" attitude when you're seen as a bad element by people... there is some pleasure i being hated on for something as basic as being a skateboarder. We've always had a negative stigma, even though on an individual basis, most skaters I've known never deserved it, but again, being hated for being a skater can stroke the ego just as much as it can get a skate spot stopped. I'm not so much saying that it was great being hated, but it was great to be hated by idiots, and on many occasions it was great to make converts out of skater-haters once they saw that "the guy was alright."

It's generational... I think a lot of the above is something a lot of people around my age can relate to. There was an elitism in being hated, and by elitism I don't mean in the incorrect pretentious way it's often used.

Sheckler's show will have absolutely no effect on my skateboarding, and I don't hate him, though I don't like him as far as he's been portrayed to me. I think the packaging around him is harmful to the next generation's concept of what skateboarding is all about. I think he gives the impression that skateboarding owes him something, and his overly competitive nature is the concept that a LOT of the next gen skaters are absorbing. I think he's just one element on the corporate side of skateboarding that has kids who can barely kickflip posting and emailing sponsor-me videos. It's the same reason why some skate forums that cater to younger skaters (one of which I write for) have sections dedicated to "rating" each other based on what tricks they claim they can do, in list form.

I agree that the skate media is using Shnuckles to sell magazines, and I wouldn't mind so much if they'd just do more of a job about talking about where skating came from. I mean, when I was younger and reading Thrasher in the 80's, I was also exposed to the older guys and history lessons in random articles. I think kids should know who Alan Gelfand is and lay off the idea that being sponsored is a base goal they have in skateboarding. I think Ryan contributes to this, but at the same time he's just a dumb kid... the fact that he makes bank is fine with me, I just think a lot of that bank is made at the expense of the reality and fun of skateboarding.

As far as him coming for nothing, the only way that's a true statement is if he's talking about the quantum mechanics that went into effect right before the Big Bang. Dude's just goofy for saying that.

Sorry for all that, tired and a little faded out. At least it gives me a chance to repost my old homeless Sheckler 'chop:

BriDen

« Reply #61 on: April 23, 2008, 05:41:02 PM »
How much hate does he even get outside of these forums? Or at least comparatively, I know that there's more hate for him here than anywhere else. He's got a hit TV show, making tons of fucking money from non-skate-related sponsors, and loved by most. Don't get me wrong, I'll never be a fan, and he'll never change my mind, but neither will an article in a mag. I think the mags are going too far trying to convince what seems to be just us. I don't wanna sound conceited here, but I believe there's some truth in this. I was under the impression that TWS's main demographic was in love with him, and I'm suprised, to say the least, that Phelps and Slap are backing him.

CigaretteBeer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -392
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #62 on: April 23, 2008, 06:09:14 PM »
I like how my left foot pushes me foward on my skateboard.
"You were such a shitty parent that your kid couldn't even make it to term A guy who killed his child before it could be born because he was so shitty didn't do anything wrong.You know how the rest of us became positive members of society BY NOT BEING PIECES OF SHIT IN THE FIRST PLACE"-Ronald Reagon

skaterdavid

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 192
« Reply #63 on: April 23, 2008, 06:09:30 PM »
Yeah, TWS pretty much gave us 10 reasons why we hate sheckler and they were defending him in each one of them. I expect this stuff from Tws but not the other mags. They hate on him then suddenly start backing him? Doesn't make sense to me.

clarkie

• Rep: 23
    • Real Skate avatar image
« Reply #64 on: April 23, 2008, 06:17:00 PM »
Yeah, TWS pretty much gave us 10 reasons why we hate sheckler and they were defending him in each one of them. I expect this stuff from Tws but not the other mags. They hate on him then suddenly start backing him? Doesn't make sense to me.

Makes perfect sense to me. It's about money, sell outs, corporations and television networks beginning to control skateboarding. It was the mags that let them in to begin with.

skaterdavid

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 192
« Reply #65 on: April 23, 2008, 06:29:07 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Makes perfect sense to me. It's about money, sell outs, corporations and television networks beginning to control skateboarding. It was the mags that let them in to begin with.
I see what your saying...but it's guy like sheckler that seem to make it more about money when skateboarding isn't about the money.

clarkie

« Reply #66 on: April 23, 2008, 06:33:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
I see what your saying...but it's guy like sheckler that seem to make it more about money when skateboarding isn't about the money.

True, at least 90% isn't about money.

Epic

« Reply #67 on: April 23, 2008, 07:02:39 PM »
no, your all wrong.  Its people that whine about him on boards like this one who make him what he is.  If people would have agreed that he messed up and is stupid than it would all be over.  But yet we all keep whining and crying about the newest thing we dont agree with him doing. 

biggums mcgee

« Reply #68 on: April 23, 2008, 08:12:10 PM »
gipper keep up your good posts..I like where this thread is going. if sheckler would come and read something and defend it, this thread would be the place to do it

clarkie

« Reply #69 on: April 23, 2008, 08:17:51 PM »
He'd have to bring along his manager, publicity agent, lawyer, producer, and his mom.

Lumpy Oatmeal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 111
  • only the classics
« Reply #70 on: April 23, 2008, 08:19:23 PM »
dont forget tony and casey his bff's
and yall dont need to be worryin about my rep, if yall really need to know, its cause no other rapper on here gully enough to do the dirt dolo i done
[quote author=drunk link=topic=46570.msg125

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1980
« Reply #71 on: April 23, 2008, 08:26:01 PM »
^^^^ Yeah, in the Transworld interview, he said that he was just a kid that worked his way up from nothing.

if you've never held a job in your life, then i highly doubt you qualify for the term "worked his way up from nothing"....

finally a sheckler thread that is entertaining as fuck to read...  too bad i gotta get to school now....
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Nancy Chin The Manicurist

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 222
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #72 on: April 23, 2008, 09:32:52 PM »

Sorry for all that, tired and a little faded out. At least it gives me a chance to repost my old homeless Sheckler 'chop:

....looks like that dude from "Mulholland Dr."

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 403
« Reply #73 on: April 23, 2008, 10:10:36 PM »
I think our collective "I don't give a shit what people think about me and my skating" mindset just made it really easy for certain people to present skateboarding's Britney Spears to the general public and make some bank off of skating's popularity. I hate any and all skate shows that present skateboarding in a bad light, or in Sheck's case, presenting skateboarding as a serious, highly competitive  career (versus a show that focuses on skateboarding being something awesomely stupid and fantastic, and something that should be done forever because it's fun).

Ah, and going back to the "not giving a shit" mentality that I think a lot of us have or had... thing is, it's really easy to have a "fuck everyone but other skaters" attitude when you're seen as a bad element by people... there is some pleasure i being hated on for something as basic as being a skateboarder. We've always had a negative stigma, even though on an individual basis, most skaters I've known never deserved it, but again, being hated for being a skater can stroke the ego just as much as it can get a skate spot stopped. I'm not so much saying that it was great being hated, but it was great to be hated by idiots, and on many occasions it was great to make converts out of skater-haters once they saw that "the guy was alright."

It's generational... I think a lot of the above is something a lot of people around my age can relate to. There was an elitism in being hated, and by elitism I don't mean in the incorrect pretentious way it's often used.

Sheckler's show will have absolutely no effect on my skateboarding, and I don't hate him, though I don't like him as far as he's been portrayed to me. I think the packaging around him is harmful to the next generation's concept of what skateboarding is all about. I think he gives the impression that skateboarding owes him something, and his overly competitive nature is the concept that a LOT of the next gen skaters are absorbing. I think he's just one element on the corporate side of skateboarding that has kids who can barely kickflip posting and emailing sponsor-me videos. It's the same reason why some skate forums that cater to younger skaters (one of which I write for) have sections dedicated to "rating" each other based on what tricks they claim they can do, in list form.

I agree that the skate media is using Shnuckles to sell magazines, and I wouldn't mind so much if they'd just do more of a job about talking about where skating came from. I mean, when I was younger and reading Thrasher in the 80's, I was also exposed to the older guys and history lessons in random articles. I think kids should know who Alan Gelfand is and lay off the idea that being sponsored is a base goal they have in skateboarding. I think Ryan contributes to this, but at the same time he's just a dumb kid... the fact that he makes bank is fine with me, I just think a lot of that bank is made at the expense of the reality and fun of skateboarding.

As far as him coming for nothing, the only way that's a true statement is if he's talking about the quantum mechanics that went into effect right before the Big Bang. Dude's just goofy for saying that.

this perfectly describes my thoughts about sheckler and is extremely well-written. good job.

clarkie

« Reply #74 on: April 23, 2008, 10:35:31 PM »
Ohmygod grim I had been reading posts in emails and just saw your 'chop - laughing my head off! If you remember the opening line to the Steve Martin movie "The Jerk" you could have titled it that:

"I was born a poor black child" hahaahahahah!

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 232
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #75 on: April 23, 2008, 10:53:16 PM »
Ryan is just a little too self-absorbed, in the article you can tell he wanted to tell tales of him having sex with four girls simultaneously... right after he said his grandmother would be reading it.

brooklyn brawler

« Reply #76 on: April 23, 2008, 11:08:02 PM »
OMG We've all turned into 16 year old girls reading Teen Beat. I have bigger worries. I'm going to Montreal for the second weekend in a row, and my biggest concern is if I'll have a threesome because I don't know French, nor do I know how to say "Le Fuch Chris deKoning avec vous."

Delete Account > Click Yes > Are you sure? > Yes > Go to Montreal > Have threesome > Wake up > Have poutine for breakfast > Wash down with beer > Ctl + Alt + Delete myself

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1980
« Reply #77 on: April 24, 2008, 03:57:25 AM »

i dont think i can gnar you enough, esp for that last statement you made...  its saddening to see skateboarding being diluted and shifted away from what it really is...  having fun and not giving a fuck about whats going on around you is precisely what makes skateboarding so special to us skateboarders.

what annoys me is when skeckler presents skateboarding in a fashion that is not true to its essence, and to a mass audience none the less...  as far as magazines featuring him, i simply wont buy the issue...  any coverage of him in magazines just adds fuel to the fire....

but i am bummed that he pull jamie thomas into the hate wagon in his recent interview....  but jamie handled it with professionalism, calling him up personally to resolve the matter rather than call him out and taunt him in other forms of media....

Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Lumpy Oatmeal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 111
  • only the classics
« Reply #78 on: April 24, 2008, 06:30:02 AM »
jamie give me ryan's phone number and ill call him up to try and work out our differences
and yall dont need to be worryin about my rep, if yall really need to know, its cause no other rapper on here gully enough to do the dirt dolo i done
[quote author=drunk link=topic=46570.msg125

Reesrevo

• Rep: 0
« Reply #79 on: April 24, 2008, 07:31:43 AM »
but i am bummed that he pull jamie thomas into the hate wagon in his recent interview....  but jamie handled it with professionalism, calling him up personally to resolve the matter rather than call him out and taunt him in other forms of media....

Thing is it was on some he-say she-say type shit. from what JT said earlier in this post.. His theory is Sheckler heard that JT had said 'something' from Danny Way and spoke on it. Sheckler didn't instigate it but was guilty of relaying it to the press. But much respect to JT for clearing it up instead of it turning into some wack beef.

Shecklers problem is.. when he was a kid he didnt know any better.. his mom's his manager and the one running the damn show. now he's not far off becoming a man, being indepedent and getting away from the nest. he's got those growing pains to shake off that old shit.. who was his previous mentor before joining Plan B?  Mullen right.. another (one time) angsty wunder kid.

Way i see it, due to his sheltered upbringing he doesn't know any better and he is obviously now aware of the haters. But to be honest, I don't think there is any way a trained comp rat like sheckler will ever appeal to the "core" market unless something major happens, but on the face of it right now what with the TV show and everything thats a long way off. I'm pretty sure there is going to be a PR push to dispell some of this hate, and the way Sheckler was talking in that TSW article he thinks he has something up his sleeve for Unquestionable.

On another tip. The core shop here gets batches of Sheckler boards in and they almost always sell all of them over the weekend. Regardless what we think the young kids are eating that shit up. With him being such a cash cow I'm still surprised Dwindle let him leave without much fuss.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 07:34:38 AM by Reesrevo »

MexicanSpaniard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • S&H
« Reply #80 on: April 24, 2008, 08:39:13 AM »
When I skate I don't have a care or thought about anything that isn't directly related to whatever trick I'm trying. I don't think he knows that feeling; sad and wrong.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #81 on: April 24, 2008, 08:54:45 AM »
I think its funny how the closest to defending hiim you see on this is people saying to ignore him and he'll go away.

"Fuck the haters, what's their problem anyway?!"
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

H8R part 4

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -301
« Reply #82 on: April 24, 2008, 10:02:03 AM »
i never really had a problem with him(i don't even know him) but that MTV show took his kookiness to a whole another level.
only if he could stop crying....

L.S

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 144
« Reply #83 on: April 24, 2008, 01:07:03 PM »
please tell me you're regular footed..
LS stands for little sidekick, lil shit lil slug/slime etc etc

underachiever

• Rep: 2
  • d-d-d-d-d-d-d-DAMN
« Reply #84 on: April 24, 2008, 01:08:27 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
dont you mean goofy?

L.S

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 144
« Reply #85 on: April 24, 2008, 01:13:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
dont you mean goofy?
no i dont.
LS stands for little sidekick, lil shit lil slug/slime etc etc

gub!!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #86 on: April 24, 2008, 01:18:06 PM »
whats so hard about this? ryan sheggler is a spoiled bitch and a boring skater, and now a reality tv tragedy

bumptobar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -34
« Reply #87 on: April 24, 2008, 02:48:54 PM »
His argument on how he isnt ruining skating is that he is getting people who otherwise wouldnt have skated to skate.  These people don't go to skateshops, they go to zumies.  And if you say zumies isnt ruining skateboarding you are just kidding yourself.  Besides that, skateboarding on tv is in itself ruining it. Essepcially when skating is only portrayed as his job, as if its a terrible thing.

His skateboard mag interview was total bullshit full of quotable material to show how big of a dickbag he is.  Like Gipper said, he is out of touch with reality.

Ill never stop hating him.

Wizard Fuck

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #88 on: April 24, 2008, 03:24:58 PM »
I just think skateboarding is an individual sport. Period.  So why stick your nose in other peoples personal lives.  I mean yeah the show is gay.  But truly hes a nice kid.  Hes got good tricks and good style.  Skateboarding is supposed to be an outlet of freedom in your life and if he wants to pursue what he does, fine with me.  Hes not really doing any thing but helping skateboarding get bigger.  People that say they are devastated by shecklers show "Ruining skateboarding"  when i go out and skate sheckler doesnt effect my front tails, tres, or any other thing in my life for that matter.  Hating just gets old.  Im over it.

I don't understand how you could know that he's a nice person. Generally anyone thats shown as big of an ego as him (i.e. "My part should be pretty amazing") aren't fun people to be around. Not to mention he cries over "losing".
The answer is Dutch Masters, you fat fucking catastrophe.

PAWL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -66
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #89 on: April 24, 2008, 04:45:08 PM »
My sister who knows nothing about skateboarding thought he was a kook after watching his show for five minutes.
yo mike mo new age ape style high five with my reborn hand.

2008 psychedelic experience. thanks.