Author Topic: books to read  (Read 431129 times)

Mark Renton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
Re: books to read
« Reply #1230 on: April 01, 2012, 05:20:08 AM »
I'm starting getting really psyched on Franz Kafka stuff.
Used to study it in my German Language Class back in HighSchool, need to find the time to read more of it
Not a book, but I really like Das Urteil (the Judgement), a short story
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

Generik

• Rep: 2
« Reply #1231 on: April 01, 2012, 08:53:01 PM »
Ⓐ☭Ⓐ☭Ⓐ

Ripped Laces

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 9
  • Dude, this is america. There are idiots everywhere
    • Ripped Laces = Shoe reviews, product reviews & more avatar image
« Reply #1232 on: April 02, 2012, 11:00:50 AM »
Just picked up these three.

I likes the funny's.

sleepypancakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #1233 on: April 02, 2012, 04:30:03 PM »

NCSB

• Rep: 15
« Reply #1234 on: April 02, 2012, 04:33:49 PM »

steve

• Rep: 45
« Reply #1235 on: April 04, 2012, 02:08:26 PM »
I'm starting getting really psyched on Franz Kafka stuff.
Used to study it in my German Language Class back in HighSchool, need to find the time to read more of it
Not a book, but I really like Das Urteil (the Judgement), a short story

kafka is a blast. wrote a nasty 12 page essay on kafka, zizek, and marx last semester. I questioned if Kafka is hostile to thought. goddamn thing could've been so much fucking longer but time was not on my side. I'd taken a bunch of amphetamine one night so that i could stay up working on the damn thing, but i took too much and the screen went blank. I sat up, smoking cigarettes, trying to get the sentences formulated in a tape recorder. I had the nerve to tell my prof. the truth and got a 2 day extension.

anyways, if you're reading Kafka, check out some zizek, they work well together.

escapistfool

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 6
« Reply #1236 on: April 04, 2012, 07:54:59 PM »
The Prince by Niccolo Machiavelli. I'm reading it for a class, and damn... this book.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 380
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1237 on: April 04, 2012, 09:55:19 PM »
Here's my current list of books I plan on reading once I have the time.

Finish Thus Spoke Zarathustra by Friedrich Nietzsche
Only Revolutions by Mark Z. Danielewski
The History of Bestiality trilogy (Moment of Freedom, Powderhouse, The Silence) by Jens Bj?rneboe
Guilty by Georges Bataille
James Joyce by Richard Ellman
Georges Bataille by Michel Surya
Just One of the Guys? by Kristen Schilt (this is my BA/MA adviser's first book)
The Crying of Lot 49 by Thomas Pynchon
Speak, Memory by Vladimir Nabokov (once I finish this, I?ll have read all of Nabokov?s English novels.)
Juliette by the Marquis de Sade

And I need to finally finish Finnegans Wake by James Joyce.

escapistfool

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 6
« Reply #1238 on: April 04, 2012, 11:13:43 PM »
James Joyce by Ellman is an amazing book. I really liked Juliette too.

Do you happen to like Dystopian novels?

cringe.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 414
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1239 on: April 05, 2012, 08:12:07 AM »
re-reading this at the moment, really interesting

this quote made me think of the Josh Swindell thread:

'In addition to the unwarranted assumptions that all gay men may plausibly be accused of making sexual advances to strangers and, worse, that violence, often to the point of homicide, is a legitimate response to any sexual advance wether welcome or not, the "homosexual panic" defense rests on the falsesly individualizing and pathologizing assumption that hatred of homosexuals is so private and atypical a phenomenon in this culture as to be classifiable as an accountability-reducing illness.'

sleepypancakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #1240 on: April 05, 2012, 01:00:52 PM »
I just bought Ulysses by James Joyce. Let the torment commence.

friendly dave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 719
  • grinding to a halt
    • grindingtoahalt avatar image
« Reply #1241 on: April 05, 2012, 01:16:24 PM »
Started this last night. I read Sonny Barger's autobiography a couple years ago. So it'll be interesting so read some of the stories from a different perspective.
Because you can't kill and idea, and we will not be ruled!

the visuals are also mad visual yo
FTW

Eschaton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -46
  • D?ner Macht Sch?ner
« Reply #1242 on: April 05, 2012, 02:01:42 PM »
I've always wanted to read that. I've heard it's really different in style from everything else he wrote after that.

I just finished this

Really good, I recommend it if you like Chomsky or want a different perspective on the whole notion of terrorism.

I am going to try to start this tonight

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1243 on: April 05, 2012, 02:17:41 PM »

Buy the annotation book. It'll help with the old Irish slang, history, and Dublin's layout which makes it way more intelligible.

Here's the Amazon listing: http://www.amazon.com/Ulysses-Annotated-Revised-Expanded-Edition/dp/0520067452

I love the book, it's probably my favorite (I read it three times in four years, two were for two different classes), so I'm always down to discuss it if you want. Just PM me.

steve

• Rep: 45
« Reply #1244 on: April 05, 2012, 11:07:39 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Buy the annotation book. It'll help with the old Irish slang, history, and Dublin's layout which makes it way more intelligible.

Here's the Amazon listing: http://www.amazon.com/Ulysses-Annotated-Revised-Expanded-Edition/dp/0520067452

I love the book, it's probably my favorite (I read it three times in four years, two were for two different classes), so I'm always down to discuss it if you want. Just PM me.

when you've got a good prof. it makes it all the better. had an irish lit II seminar last semester and we fucked with this on and off throughout. the instructor was so hyped on all of it that it made me, and most of the class, want to do more work with it.

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 54
« Reply #1245 on: April 06, 2012, 09:37:39 AM »

Just bought a copy of this. I'm almost finished with Quicksilver. Love Neal Stephenson and love the humor and breadth of these books.

Cryptonomicon was my introduction to Neal Stephenson, after which I read Reamde and now I'm just about to wrap up Quicksilver and dive into The Confusion.

sleepypancakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1246 on: April 06, 2012, 11:35:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

when you've got a good prof. it makes it all the better. had an irish lit II seminar last semester and we fucked with this on and off throughout. the instructor was so hyped on all of it that it made me, and most of the class, want to do more work with it.
Just ordered the annotation book, and I may be pm'ing you because I don't have a class or a professor to talk about it with anymore so I'm gonna chill on starting til i get the annotations and then go at this fucker research paper style.

alcol

• Rep: 2
« Reply #1247 on: April 06, 2012, 12:00:16 PM »
one of my favorite novels:

Julio Cortazar - Rayuela (Hopscotch in english)

I'm a be on here until niggas start posting about my celebrity-skateboarder lifestyle exploits ala Lil Wayne.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1248 on: April 06, 2012, 12:09:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
Just ordered the annotation book, and I may be pm'ing you because I don't have a class or a professor to talk about it with anymore so I'm gonna chill on starting til i get the annotations and then go at this fucker research paper style.

Sick man. That's definitely a good way to go at it. I have a notebook almost full of notes/points I took from my class, so I'll have more than enough to talk about.

I went on a kick of buying a bunch of stuff on Ulysses and Finnegans Wake for a little bit there.  Stay away from the Stuart Gilbert's Ulysses book. A lot of it was just Joyce fucking around with Gilbert, who didn't realize it.

David

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 27
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1249 on: April 06, 2012, 01:11:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

Sick man. That's definitely a good way to go at it. I have a notebook almost full of notes/points I took from my class, so I'll have more than enough to talk about.

I went on a kick of buying a bunch of stuff on Ulysses and Finnegans Wake for a little bit there.  Stay away from the Stuart Gilbert's Ulysses book. A lot of it was just Joyce fucking around with Gilbert, who didn't realize it.

That's funny. The Stuart Gilbert book was the one I was going to get.

So Don Gifford is the best way to go?

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1250 on: April 06, 2012, 01:26:15 PM »
Yeah, Gifford's is the best. It's not a walk through, which is what Glibert is closer to. Instead, it's more background/source info book that gives you the tools to get a better understanding of details in Ulysses so you can do more conductive analysis. (For a plot summary by episode and some analysis you can get this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0415138582/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0520067452&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1A6HMM0Z7DECK54X34KR).  

Gilbert's is famous for this chart: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilbert_schema_for_Ulysses which a lot of people mistakenly believe to be the "be all end all" schema for Ulysses, while others veer closer to this one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linati_schema_for_Ulysses which Joyce wrote for Carlo Linati in private, not meant for print. Not that the schemata are super important. I usually don't think of them while reading/analyzing the book (except for certain aspects, like episode name and Gilbert's technic which describes each episode's style, but I'm weird like that). But yeah, if you even skim through Gilbert's, you can kind of realize that Joyce was fucking with him while he was helping him write it.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 03:46:05 PM by oyolar »

oneshovel

« Reply #1251 on: April 11, 2012, 05:58:41 PM »
I pretty much haven't read shit in the past decade, but my roomie is leaving me a pretty decent collection.  Some really old classics that I can barely read, as well as newer stuff.

Today I blasted through "The Church & The Man" by Donald Hankey.  It's from 1917 and pretty interesting.  He actually questions how the average person should go about faith and stuff. 

Next up is "Captain Blood" by Rafael Sabatini.  I'm excited to get into a good story again.

VictoriousOG

« Reply #1252 on: April 15, 2012, 02:26:08 PM »
Been reading Oil! by Upton Sinclair, very rich quality in my mind when I read it.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1253 on: April 15, 2012, 02:46:19 PM »

Just because no one has mentioned The Illiad doesn't mean that no one has read it.

cringe.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 414
« Reply #1254 on: April 15, 2012, 02:52:42 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Just because no one has mentioned The Illiad doesn't mean that no one has read it.

David

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 27
« Reply #1255 on: April 15, 2012, 04:25:09 PM »
Miler Lagos' book dome

« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 04:26:40 PM by David »

sven thorkel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 476
« Reply #1256 on: April 15, 2012, 06:09:58 PM »

Just bought a copy of this. I'm almost finished with Quicksilver. Love Neal Stephenson and love the humor and breadth of these books.

Cryptonomicon was my introduction to Neal Stephenson, after which I read Reamde and now I'm just about to wrap up Quicksilver and dive into The Confusion.

neal stephenson is amazing. i'm glad someone else finds the humor in his books. my introduction to him was The Diamond Age and my immediate reaction was "what the fuck?" but i couldn't stop reading it. The Diamond Age and Snow Crash are definitely out there, but i find that his future speculations make for his most humorous material

"Front row tickets to a bomb ass play"

Quote from: PonyFAP
I don't know where you get your facts. The first generation of My Little Ponies were made by Hasbro, not the Khmer Rouge. And Hasbro hasn't made toys out of human skulls since the 1960's.

Tom Penny says: My 'ed systems!

gutterhead.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -15
« Reply #1257 on: April 16, 2012, 01:53:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

I just said no-one mentioned it. I hate it when ppl make up these sort of conjectures out of a harmless post. do you want a medal or something for having read it? im already getting tired of you, oyolar.

on the contrary, swiftfootedbird, slap is already getting tired of you

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1258 on: April 16, 2012, 09:30:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

I just said no-one mentioned it. I hate it when ppl make up these sort of conjectures out of a harmless post. do you want a medal or something for having read it? im already getting tired of you, oyolar.
[close]

on the contrary, swiftfootedbird, slap is already getting tired of you
[close]

at least you've been honest. I shall not post anymore.

Thank God.  In what is (hopefully) an unnecessary response, do you want a medal for showing off your pretentious knowledge of ancient Greek texts and specifically mentioning other works that no one has mentioned? How about for mentioning that you are a Classics major, which no one else here is (an assertion I find hard to believe) and, therefore, only you can speak with authority on them, name dropping Leo Strauss and Popper as if we're supposed to be impresses? Is that damage control for your idiotic 4chan style of posting in other threads? And sure, maybe I did make an assumption from your post, but seeing as how you were shocked and sickened that no one has mention The Illiad (again, which I doubt is true in these 43 pages--I know I have seen The Odyssey mentioned), that my defensive assumption seemed logical. Or perhaps I was harmlessly stating exactly what I said--just because it's not mentioned here, doesn't mean it hasn't been read.

kilgore.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 313
« Reply #1259 on: April 16, 2012, 12:33:44 PM »
this is one of the only good threads left on slap, take this shit somewhere else, magnet boy.
No holds barred, til labias say "free us"
then its straight to your kids' school, wine coolers in the Prius