Author Topic: the photography thread.  (Read 717358 times)

Mooley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: the photography thread.
« Reply #3630 on: March 27, 2013, 10:12:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Thanks man, really appreciate it. I like that it seems I could find each for around $150 and have a canon ae-1 (also looking at the olympus 35sp) along with a olympus xa1 or xa2 for $300 vs spending 400-600 on an RX100 or Fujifilm XF1 - I just really like the aesthetic of the XF1 for some reason.

What're the pros/cons you think between choosing one of those or getting the others?
[close]
No problem!

I don't know too much about the 35SP, RX100, or XF1, but I guess the only thing I could say about the XA2 would be the focusing and lack of control over some stuff. I actually looked it up and the XA and XA1 are different cameras so I would gravitate more towards the XA. The XA has a rangefinder as well aperture priority, while the XA2 has scale focus and a fully automatic shutter (which you may or may not want, especially if you want to learn).

As far as the Canon AE-1P, it's a camera that's never failed me in any situation. It's a really good learning camera because of the ability to have manual control, but also just switch it to automatic if you feel like it.

I love my XA2. Like you had said earlier, it's awesome to have a little camera like that on you at all times. It might be worth checking out the ones with rangefinder focus, but I've grown to like the XA2's clunky system. I feel like after using my full-manual stuff it's really refreshing to have a camera that makes you work within some limitations, you end up worrying a lot more about what's in front of you and a lot less about technical bullshit. It's made a good travel camera for me for that reason, a couple old examples:

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 18
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
« Reply #3631 on: March 27, 2013, 01:02:13 PM »
You guys are amazing, thanks a ton.

I "think" I've narrowed it down to the XF-1 since you can find it on Ebay for around $300 and then I can get an XA or XA2 for around 150 - maybe even less. I've seen the rx100 on ebay for around $500 but I'm not sure what the pro would be on getting that one vs the other 2 for me? http://blog.mingthein.com/2012/11/13/fuji-finepix-xf1/  <---- This is a good review and comparisons of cameras I'm thinking about but it's still a fairly difficult decision. Obviously the RX100 trumps but it's basically in a different league and perhaps more than I necessarily need. It seems like the XF1 is a step below it but not as good for portraits/ large prints? Some of the quirks I've read about with the XF1 might piss me off - most complaints seem to be with pulling the lens like you were saying finknoos. It's weird to me how there's not much out there with the xf1 trying to search for photos taken with it....  I think I'm going to go check these out in person on my Friday since it's my day off so I can make a decision and order one by this next week.

Haha thanks for the heads up on the AE Chuck - I'm the same way with wanting something that will fit in my pocket but might get that camera later on. And I definitely wouldn't be thinking about the XF1 if it only came in red - just couldn't do it - but it also comes in black and brown.

Another question, how do you guys feel about traveling with film? How often does putting it through the x-rays and what not actually fuck anything up?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 01:05:41 PM by sexualhelon »

Cadillac Ranch Dressing

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 476
« Reply #3632 on: March 27, 2013, 01:17:04 PM »
Another question, how do you guys feel about traveling with film? How often does putting it through the x-rays and what not actually fuck anything up?
I've never had problems with film in my carry-on going through the x-rays, but from what I understand, the higher the ISO of the film, the more sensitive it is to the machine. Friends of mine have asked security about it and they'll hand inspect it if you prefer. You can also get one of those fancy shmancy lead bags if you really are concerned. My dad used a lead bag for years and swears by 'em.
"I got a fever and the only prescription is more Cadillac Ranch Dressing." - Jereme Rogers

chuck d

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 234
« Reply #3633 on: March 27, 2013, 02:26:53 PM »
Obviously the RX100 trumps but it's basically in a different league and perhaps more than I necessarily need.

Good point.
Here's the main differences...

JamesNtheGntPch

• Rep: 38
  • Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #3634 on: March 27, 2013, 04:59:12 PM »
Does anyone here use an FD to EOS adapter?  I'm curious about trying it if I get a DSLR.

neko

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #3635 on: March 28, 2013, 12:15:16 AM »
I also use a Canon AE-1 Program for a lot of my street stuff as well some low light situations. I really enjoy it because it can be completely automatic as well as manual. It was the first real camera I had and basically learned most of what I know on it. It's also pretty cheap and most of the time you can find it in the $150 range including other lenses, filters, flashes, cases, etc. so checking out eBay regularly is a good thing.

Second this. My AE-1P was my first real camera too, and still my favorite--so much so that I have it tattooed on my arm. It's the raddest camera, and lenses are relatively cheap, too. Check KEH too, they usually have a good selection of used gear.

Expand Quote
[close]
I've never had problems with film in my carry-on going through the x-rays, but from what I understand, the higher the ISO of the film, the more sensitive it is to the machine. Friends of mine have asked security about it and they'll hand inspect it if you prefer. You can also get one of those fancy shmancy lead bags if you really are concerned. My dad used a lead bag for years and swears by 'em.

I've had some film fucked up. Just keep it in a separate bag (like even a plastic grocery bag), remove that from your luggage before the x-ray machine, and ask the TSA peeps to hand check it. It takes a little longer, and sometimes they'll give you shit for it, but insist they hand check it. It's within your rights to demand that, and x-rays will fuck up your film, esp higher ISOs.

finknoos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -170
  • Typos here there and everywhere
« Reply #3636 on: March 28, 2013, 02:17:26 AM »
After having seen that humber, im now on the look out for old cars

Cadillac Ranch Dressing

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3637 on: April 02, 2013, 02:45:22 PM »

"I got a fever and the only prescription is more Cadillac Ranch Dressing." - Jereme Rogers

finknoos

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3638 on: April 03, 2013, 02:03:59 AM »

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #3639 on: April 03, 2013, 04:53:35 AM »
Travelled down to my old grandpa house with my friends in order to skate beautiful parks and eat ridicolously good food, had a great time, I know this is only instagram thrash but why not

video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

_UniversalTruth_

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3640 on: April 03, 2013, 01:20:06 PM »

i likes skooterboarding.. be lets friends :)

SqueezeThePulp

• Rep: 11
« Reply #3641 on: April 04, 2013, 06:44:38 AM »
Been dabbling in 35mm for a little bit, and whenever I go out shooting, I worry about the aperture. I never know what the right f-stop is, I understand how it works, but does 5.6 sound good for a regular sunny day? Anyone have general guidelines for aperture? I use a 50mm fixed lens. Also shooting a roll of Portra 400 right now, if it makes a difference.

finknoos

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3642 on: April 04, 2013, 06:55:34 AM »
Been dabbling in 35mm for a little bit, and whenever I go out shooting, I worry about the aperture. I never know what the right f-stop is, I understand how it works, but does 5.6 sound good for a regular sunny day? Anyone have general guidelines for aperture? I use a 50mm fixed lens. Also shooting a roll of Portra 400 right now, if it makes a difference.

Really you should have a light meter, some cameras come with an internal one, and if not you can get an external one for quite cheap. However its always a good idea to have an understanding of the "sunny 16 rule"  cpncept

Random Matt

• Rep: 8
« Reply #3643 on: April 04, 2013, 06:55:54 AM »
There is no "right" aperture, rather a correct combination of aperture and shutter speed, which combine to make the exposure.  For example if your light meter reads f5.6 at 1/250 this is equivalent to f8 at 1/125, or f11 at 1/60 and so on.  Learn how to read your light meter and base your exposure decision on whether the aperture or shutter speed is more important to that particular shot.  There's ton's of free literature online about this stuff.

edit: finknoos, I've never heard of the Sunny 16 rule.  I looked it up and I think I am much too calculated to use it, seems so subjective.  It could be handy if the batteries die in my meter, though.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 07:04:22 AM by Random Matt »

SqueezeThePulp

• Rep: 11
« Reply #3644 on: April 04, 2013, 09:12:30 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
There is no "right" aperture, rather a correct combination of aperture and shutter speed, which combine to make the exposure.  For example if your light meter reads f5.6 at 1/250 this is equivalent to f8 at 1/125, or f11 at 1/60 and so on.  Learn how to read your light meter and base your exposure decision on whether the aperture or shutter speed is more important to that particular shot.  There's ton's of free literature online about this stuff.

edit: finknoos, I've never heard of the Sunny 16 rule.  I looked it up and I think I am much too calculated to use it, seems so subjective.  It could be handy if the batteries die in my meter, though.
yeah I actually have an internal light meter on my X-700, and I do use it, I've always tried my best to match aperture and shutter speeds when I shot manually, now I just shoot in P, which sets the shutter automatically, according to the aperture. It makes sense that they combine, I just never had it explained to me clearly. Thanks.

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
« Reply #3645 on: April 04, 2013, 11:52:23 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Even though my camera employs the newest meter that Nikon has engineered for the last 25 years, I use the "sunny 16" rule for 90% of the time. The problem is that the camera doesn't know what you want to expose for (which is why I'll use AE lock the times I do use automatic settings).

To the OP, remember that when you're matching settings from the internal light meter, the readings are giving you correct exposure for middle gray. Taking an average meter reading helps (splitting the difference between the highlights and shadow areas).

friendly dave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 742
  • grinding to a halt
    • grindingtoahalt avatar image
« Reply #3646 on: April 04, 2013, 12:04:35 PM »
Because you can't kill and idea, and we will not be ruled!

the visuals are also mad visual yo
FTW

RoedGroed

• Rep: 60
« Reply #3647 on: April 04, 2013, 01:06:27 PM »
Super stoked on those snow/mountain photos _UniversalTruth_!! Those really stoked me out!

I shot this the other day, in this busy intersection. Kinda hard setting up lights and getting pedestrians, bikes and cars to not get in the way!
Not too stoked on the shadow on his face though, but I liked how the composition with him inside the trafficlights worked out.

_UniversalTruth_

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3648 on: April 04, 2013, 02:46:42 PM »
Thank you's! A compliment from you guys means something.
i likes skooterboarding.. be lets friends :)

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3649 on: April 07, 2013, 11:37:57 PM »

Bronson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #3650 on: April 08, 2013, 02:46:27 AM »
Those are some stoned out photos, sexualhelon

Cadillac Ranch Dressing

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3651 on: April 08, 2013, 05:16:09 AM »

Love how creepy these two shots are, like shit you'd see on The Ring VHS. Nice work, Bronson!

Bronson

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3652 on: April 08, 2013, 11:58:05 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Love how creepy these two shots are, like shit you'd see on The Ring VHS. Nice work, Bronson!
Thanks. I am very attracted to creepy. Most of my friends are rather creepy too.

ciaran

• Rep: 22
« Reply #3653 on: April 08, 2013, 03:19:27 PM »
Creepy indeed, good work Bronson!

Some cross-processed Lomo nerdery

More buffoonery of a similar nature - http://www.flickr.com/photos/ciaranoc/

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3654 on: April 08, 2013, 07:41:00 PM »
Haha I guess I'll take that as a compliment? All those were taken with this Canon SD I carry around but I went and looked at a few cameras today so I'm getting an RX100 soon and a Canon AE for film. Looking forward to actually being able to adjust the settings.

Oh and I'm also super stoked on your stuff Bronson.

Bronson

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3655 on: April 09, 2013, 02:19:44 AM »
Haha I guess I'll take that as a compliment? All those were taken with this Canon SD I carry around but I went and looked at a few cameras today so I'm getting an RX100 soon and a Canon AE for film. Looking forward to actually being able to adjust the settings.

Oh and I'm also super stoked on your stuff Bronson.
Yes! They reminded me of being stoned. Which is good. And thank you.

SFblah

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 668
« Reply #3656 on: April 09, 2013, 07:40:39 AM »
Any of you familiar with Mike Brodie aka Polaroid Kidd? I started seeing his photos years ago on Fecalface.com and now there is a book of his photos. He was a crusty punk kid who rode trains and took all photos of his friends on polaroid and then 35mm.

Film works perfect for what he did and his photos always made me wanna hop a train.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/gallery/2013/mar/30/mike-brodie-juvenile-train-rider-photos-in-pictures#/?picture=406420086&index=0

Bloody Matt

• Rep: -41
« Reply #3657 on: April 09, 2013, 08:45:55 AM »
Any of you familiar with Mike Brodie aka Polaroid Kidd? I started seeing his photos years ago on Fecalface.com and now there is a book of his photos. He was a crusty punk kid who rode trains and took all photos of his friends on polaroid and then 35mm.

Film works perfect for what he did and his photos always made me wanna hop a train.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/gallery/2013/mar/30/mike-brodie-juvenile-train-rider-photos-in-pictures#/?picture=406420086&index=0

I remember seeing a lot of these years ago closer to when they were shot. Sweet that he's showing these at M+B. Lots of young heavy hitters in contemporary photography showing with them.

finknoos

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3658 on: April 10, 2013, 07:01:05 AM »
Went for a little stroll

finknoos

• SLAP Pal