Author Topic: the photography thread.  (Read 717372 times)

finknoos

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -170
  • Typos here there and everywhere
Re: the photography thread.
« Reply #4080 on: October 04, 2013, 04:45:41 AM »
Expand Quote
This thread is killing it as hard, if not harder than usual.
Makes me a little bit sad that our "silly little art project" thing flopped, would've been a beautiful thing.
[close]

yes. maybe we set up something new? I received 2 series from friendly dave and I guess you, wasn't too much. Maybe we could do something, that's easier to set up? maybe we can have a monthly feature with a certain topic ... like the idea with the 3 pictures. we could start with 3 shots at night for october.

Something like that sounds fun, i still think i would be nice foe the PALS to have a blog of somekind to show case everyones work from around the world, lots of different photography styles and locations all by some reprobate skateboard riders would be great to see.

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4081 on: October 04, 2013, 05:05:32 AM »
kinda like a slap-version of find-rangers or sth.

finknoos

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4082 on: October 04, 2013, 09:01:59 AM »
Exactly^

Turns out the 15mm did vignette pretty hard, but whatever, it was fun to shoot even if the results arent great. gotta try the 35mm soon.

neko

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4083 on: October 07, 2013, 08:53:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Makes me a little bit sad that our "silly little art project" thing flopped, would've been a beautiful thing.
[close]

yes. maybe we set up something new? I received 2 series from friendly dave and I guess you, wasn't too much. Maybe we could do something, that's easier to set up? maybe we can have a monthly feature with a certain topic ... like the idea with the 3 pictures. we could start with 3 shots at night for october.
[close]

Something like that sounds fun, i still think i would be nice foe the PALS to have a blog of somekind to show case everyones work from around the world, lots of different photography styles and locations all by some reprobate skateboard riders would be great to see.

What if we had a Pals-only Tumblr, sharing a password between those of us who contribute to this thread? Would that work? (I've never actually had my own Tumblr account before, I don't know.)

A.J.K.

« Reply #4084 on: October 07, 2013, 11:46:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

What if we had a Pals-only Tumblr, sharing a password between those of us who contribute to this thread? Would that work? (I've never actually had my own Tumblr account before, I don't know.)
I'm into that idea.  Would be really easy to set up.  How would we vet what gets uploaded though?

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4085 on: October 07, 2013, 11:49:30 AM »
is there some kind of "judging" solution for tumblr maybe? no idea about that.

A.J.K.

« Reply #4086 on: October 07, 2013, 11:54:23 AM »
We could create a flickr group where we all upload stuff, and from there we can vote on what gets uploaded to tumblr.  If we all consistently put stuff in the flickr group and choose what photos to use, we can just queue a bunch of posts on tumblr in one go so it's updated automatically.

This is probably getting a bit ahead, but what if we had the shared tumblr as an ongoing thing, then somehow create an online zine every month or two with a given theme that everyone can work towards?

finknoos

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4087 on: October 07, 2013, 01:12:42 PM »
Those all sound like good ideas, im not sure how the logistics of a shared password-multiuser tumblr thing would really work, but then again im not great with internet stuff overall. Some sort of voting system does sound like a good plan though.

friendly dave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 742
  • grinding to a halt
    • grindingtoahalt avatar image
« Reply #4088 on: October 07, 2013, 04:03:59 PM »
I'm still down for a slap photo blog. It gives me a good reason to go out and shoot stuff aside from my normal woods and waterfalls.
Because you can't kill and idea, and we will not be ruled!

the visuals are also mad visual yo
FTW

Cadillac Ranch Dressing

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 476
« Reply #4089 on: October 07, 2013, 04:10:16 PM »
I'm down. I really like the zine idea too.
"I got a fever and the only prescription is more Cadillac Ranch Dressing." - Jereme Rogers

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 317
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4090 on: October 07, 2013, 04:21:15 PM »

I second this. It would just be cool to have something more tangible then just a Tumblr blog. But I am down for whatever though.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

Cadillac Ranch Dressing

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4091 on: October 07, 2013, 04:30:32 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I second this. It would just be cool to have something more tangible then just a Tumblr blog. But I am down for whatever though.
It would also give us some cool opportunities to do some writing along with more in depth photo projects or series. I'm excited. But let's actually do it this time!
"I got a fever and the only prescription is more Cadillac Ranch Dressing." - Jereme Rogers

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4092 on: October 07, 2013, 04:37:37 PM »
The issue that I would see for the zine is just funding. Printing "x" amount of copies would be a decent amount anyways. And of course this all depends on the size, shape, quality, etc. I guess that is where the Tumblr thing works a little better for now cause I can't see tons of people forking over cash to make this thing, unless we had some sort of sponsor to help us out.

Perhaps just a Tumblr thing now and maybe rather then pick what goes in to the Tumblr, let's pic what goes into the zine? I think for the most part, almost anything should go into the Tumblr blog.....but that is me.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin

Greg Road

« Reply #4093 on: October 07, 2013, 04:40:33 PM »
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 01:59:03 PM by Greg Road »

A.J.K.

« Reply #4094 on: October 07, 2013, 04:50:14 PM »
We could always do zines as online, downloadable PDFs.  It would allow us to do things more collectively as opposed to random tumblr posts (not saying we have to do themed issues, but the option is there) , or go into more depth with certain series or ideas as Cadillac said.

If people other than ourselves become interested in the project over time then we can look into making physical copies.  I don't think printing is that expensive but i've never gone through with printing multiple copes of a zine before.

pissedead

• Rep: 2
« Reply #4095 on: October 07, 2013, 05:14:44 PM »

finknoos

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4096 on: October 08, 2013, 02:21:44 AM »
We could always do zines as online, downloadable PDFs.  It would allow us to do things more collectively as opposed to random tumblr posts (not saying we have to do themed issues, but the option is there) , or go into more depth with certain series or ideas as Cadillac said.

If people other than ourselves become interested in the project over time then we can look into making physical copies.  I don't think printing is that expensive but i've never gone through with printing multiple copes of a zine before.

I think having themes every now and then would be good, gives some people more inspiration to shoot something different, also the results would look cleaner if we had a few different posters submitting similar, and yet completley different pictures.

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4097 on: October 08, 2013, 02:56:42 AM »
anybody here with tumblr experience? i have only used wordpress so far, and that at a very simple level. i have read that you can create group-tumblrs, but with some limitations. i have no idea how bad those are though.

http://tumblring.net/how-to-create-a-group-tumblr-blog/

Matze

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
« Reply #4098 on: October 08, 2013, 07:20:35 AM »
the tumblr thing is the easiest thing to create, I can create another one when I'm home. the voting thing is a little bit too much for me, don't see why we should do it. every slap pal should have the chance contribute, no matter how the others feel about it - as long as it fits (topic wise).

neko

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #4099 on: October 08, 2013, 08:20:03 AM »
I'm down for both, with the Tumblr as an ongoing thing and the zine as a quarterly compilation (or monthly if we want to keep the layouts simple and punk) of the best, or along a given theme. The zine-as-PDF idea is good, as it lets each of us that want a physical copy print our own (at the desired quality level), so we don't have to worry about the $$ side at all. I have passable InDesign skills, but anyone here that's really good at it that could throw the zine together quickly each time? Or we could shift that around?

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4100 on: October 08, 2013, 09:18:10 AM »
every slap pal should have the chance contribute, no matter how the others feel about it - as long as it fits (topic wise).

Agreed. I want to see cell phone shots, film, digital and just an array of all things.

I actually have a design degree but haven't opened Indesign in ages but if were' talking about just laying out some things with some text, I can definitely do it. The only catch is I am sort of a slow designer.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin

SF_EMB

• Rep: 12
« Reply #4101 on: October 08, 2013, 10:06:03 AM »
Good Morning SLAP!

I recommend you guys using http://www.youblisher.com
If you want to show your PDF's online in a book like manner plus it's free and you can upload big files.

Here's an example (*The Skate stuff is at pg 70 & 117):
http://www.youblisher.com/p/556148-LUX-Issue-One-Movement-Number-Two/

It's been awhile since I contributed. Here's some stuff..

Cadillac Ranch Dressing

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4102 on: October 08, 2013, 10:25:15 AM »
I hope we can actually do it because this could be very rad.

A.J.K.

« Reply #4103 on: October 08, 2013, 11:33:55 AM »
Even though I think i'm the one who used the word vote, as you guys are saying let's just forget that.  It would be shitty for people to be excluded. 

Expand Quote
every slap pal should have the chance contribute, no matter how the others feel about it - as long as it fits (topic wise).
[close]

Agreed. I want to see cell phone shots, film, digital and just an array of all things.

I actually have a design degree but haven't opened Indesign in ages but if were' talking about just laying out some things with some text, I can definitely do it. The only catch is I am sort of a slow designer.
I don't think we're in any rush, and we all have other non-slap responsibilities, so even if you're 'slow' that wouldn't be a problem.  And as Neko suggested we could rotate responsibility for putting it together as it sounds like there are a few of us that have at least a basic grasp of InDesign.

Thanks for the youpublisher link, SF_EMB, looks like it would be great to use.

heritage

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 98
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #4104 on: October 08, 2013, 11:50:25 AM »

Matze

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
« Reply #4105 on: October 08, 2013, 12:27:17 PM »
crd, you're killing it. these colors ...

« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 12:58:36 PM by Matze »

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4106 on: October 08, 2013, 01:01:58 PM »
and whats the name? SLAPR? i am pretty sure that thats already some weird fetish blog.
SLAMBLER? most likely too.

Cadillac Ranch Dressing

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4107 on: October 08, 2013, 01:34:36 PM »
This is a GREAT fucking photo.

crd, you're killing it. these colors ...
Thanks dudes!

Matze, you make me want to get a TX-1 so bad.

fickdiepolizei666

• Rep: -7
« Reply #4108 on: October 08, 2013, 07:42:28 PM »

White Owl

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 10
« Reply #4109 on: October 08, 2013, 11:13:20 PM »
didnt know this thread was here! I'll have to start contributing, here's a few recent ones.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 11:24:02 PM by White Owl »