Author Topic: the photography thread.  (Read 717562 times)

Mystical Leader

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -134
Re: the photography thread.
« Reply #6840 on: March 03, 2019, 10:12:54 AM »
Thanks sometimeperhaps!

I love shooting rangefinders so it's a non-issue..

Seems like the AF might not be for me because I don't need a gloryfied point and shoot.. I have others for that right now.

I'm trying to find a camera other than leica and it has to be well built and sleek. The rf seems like it might be a good option..  if I buy a cheaper camera I can also take a longer trip to somewhere but at the same time I think I get more bang for a buck by buying the more expensive one....decisions decisions...

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #6841 on: March 03, 2019, 11:11:23 AM »
No problems. AF is the definition of a highend P&S.

Maybe check out the Voigtländer Bessa stuff. It's more reasonably priced than Leica, and from what I've read just as good. They also use the M mount.

Sometimes there's just to much choice when it comes to cameras. And even when you make a decision, there's always a wonder in the back of your mind if you made the right choice.

Mooley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6842 on: March 03, 2019, 11:35:23 AM »
You can find great deals on M4-2's if you want a proper mechanical Leica on a budget, otherwise I'd definitely recommend a Bessa R2. Bessa viewfinders are incredible even if the rest of the build quality is a little less quality.  Hexar prices are pretty inflated for what they are.

Mystical Leader

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -134
« Reply #6843 on: March 07, 2019, 04:53:46 AM »
Decided to go with Fuji Gw690ii, never had a medium format camera so stoked on that.

the camera has all I've been looking and being larger format I can make some good landscape photos or such..

straight

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 992
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6844 on: March 07, 2019, 05:24:51 AM »
dude please post some sample photos with the fuji .. iveebeeh thinking about gettin that one too
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

Jean-Ralphio Zaperstein

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 672
« Reply #6845 on: March 07, 2019, 07:49:17 AM »
damn from an hexar to a medium format beast
Id love to see pictures once you expose those first rolls

slippy

• Rep: 87
« Reply #6846 on: March 07, 2019, 08:39:07 AM »
Decided to go with Fuji Gw690ii, never had a medium format camera so stoked on that.

the camera has all I've been looking and being larger format I can make some good landscape photos or such..

I shoot with the III and it's so fucking rad, stoked for you!  If you get into home printing it's perfect for 13x19 paper too
people who refuse to use apple products can blow my fucking stupid hog

feedmeseymour

« Reply #6847 on: March 18, 2019, 06:13:19 AM »
havent gone out to shoot skating in a while cause of the winter but here are a couple shots from the weekend of my buddy connor
5050 pop into the bank (notice the beautiful shalom sticker)

heres a photo of the spot

back smith

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 744
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #6848 on: March 24, 2019, 02:11:19 PM »
Bump. Got hurt in under 5 minutes at this spot so I was on filming long lens / photo duty.

Last one is of poster TheAmericanAntique <3

Edit: Edited for size. Really love compression almost as much as I love italics.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 02:15:38 PM by Allen. »
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6849 on: March 25, 2019, 04:51:43 AM »
That spot looks sick, especially for photos. Seems like some place French Fred would be skating.

RCB3

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 429
« Reply #6850 on: March 27, 2019, 12:02:56 PM »
I just changed up my website to make it a bit more simple. I mainly shoot landscapes and the outdoors, but the lifestyle shoots are what helps pay the bills the most, so I tried to integrate those shots more than my old website. Feel free to give any constructive criticism.

www.richardbaconphotography.com

Irvine-Sucks.com

slippy

• Rep: 87
« Reply #6851 on: March 28, 2019, 02:42:21 PM »
Good shit man!  When you say pay the bills, you getting money from Hydroflask?  If not they'd probably be stoked!
people who refuse to use apple products can blow my fucking stupid hog

RCB3

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6852 on: March 28, 2019, 03:45:50 PM »
Good shit man!  When you say pay the bills, you getting money from Hydroflask?  If not they'd probably be stoked!

Thanks man, appreciate it! And yea, I have a yearly contract with Hydro Flask where I'm on a monthly retainer. And as for paying the bills, I rarely have people buying landscape prints, so the photos of the mountain bikers, sledders, etc. are the ones that are from hired day shoots, which make me more money. My income is probably only 50% freelance photography, so it's nice to not be totally reliant on it.

Irvine-Sucks.com

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6853 on: March 29, 2019, 04:16:51 AM »
I just changed up my website to make it a bit more simple. I mainly shoot landscapes and the outdoors, but the lifestyle shoots are what helps pay the bills the most, so I tried to integrate those shots more than my old website. Feel free to give any constructive criticism.

Some good stuff man.

As for feedback, I would say that maybe the people section could be split. You have more commercial looking work (Hydroflask) mixed in with skate and snowboard stuff, mixed in with some music shots. Basically commercial, mixed in with editorial. I think overall you have to many photos for just two overarching sections.

I think you have a good number of landscapes, that could mix with some people photography to create some series. I'm assuming some of the people shots were taken in the same areas as some of the landscape stuff. The combination of the two might look nice.

feedmeseymour

« Reply #6854 on: March 29, 2019, 05:38:41 AM »
deff have some awesome shots! i guess layout is a personal taste, your current one is very clean and looks good, some might argue that giving the viewer the open choice to see whatever photo they want might make them miss out on some good ones if that makes sense. layouts that show 1-3 large photos at a time forces the person to take their time on the website.... that being said, i probably would have said the opposite if you had it the other way haha. like i said, personal taste. but it looks good man!

RCB3

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6855 on: March 29, 2019, 08:39:38 AM »
Thanks for the feedback dudes! And sometimesperhaps, that was the thing I struggled the most with. Before I had way too many sections, which felt overwhelming to me. I definitely think have the people section divided up somehow would help since so many types of people shots are clumped together. I'll try to think of a solution.

Cheers!

Irvine-Sucks.com

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 208
« Reply #6856 on: March 29, 2019, 08:53:48 AM »
Really good stuff, especially the vertical mountain shots!

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6857 on: March 29, 2019, 06:55:38 PM »
i´m a really big fan of your stuff, so "critique" is kinda far fetched. i personally would try to go for less photos to kinda feed the need to see more stuff, but i know how incredibly hard it is to choose stuff. also, from a business perspective, your approach might be the better one. in the end it all comes down to personal preference, and i think you managed to make a site that will be well received all around. great stuff, and i am kinda jealous of you and your position, but you definitely earned it.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 317
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6858 on: March 31, 2019, 01:24:24 AM »
Rich is dope. Love your work man.

Some stuff from 6th Street Showdown in SF today of Sucui and Curtin.

I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

straight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6859 on: April 01, 2019, 12:55:07 PM »
i love shooting film because of shots like these .. just messing around with angles and objects in focus and finally got it right / lucky .. really happy with this one .. the other 5 shots i tried like jis are garbage

RCB3

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6860 on: April 01, 2019, 01:12:18 PM »
i´m a really big fan of your stuff, so "critique" is kinda far fetched. i personally would try to go for less photos to kinda feed the need to see more stuff, but i know how incredibly hard it is to choose stuff. also, from a business perspective, your approach might be the better one. in the end it all comes down to personal preference, and i think you managed to make a site that will be well received all around. great stuff, and i am kinda jealous of you and your position, but you definitely earned it.

Thanks, man, I appreciate the kind words! I was wondering if the amount of images in both sections seems too overwhelming. I might try to tone it back. Also, it's funny because I'm jealous of a lot of people's stuff on here that's such a different style than my own. I feel like there's so many other landscape photographers where I live in the PNW, so sometimes it's easy to feel like I'm not producing anything unique or something that stands out.

And thanks Fongstarr! Always been a big fan of your work. I love how that Suciu shot looks like you were using a flash or something with that lighting.

Irvine-Sucks.com

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 744
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #6861 on: April 07, 2019, 03:23:08 PM »

TheAmericanAntique, Backside Blunt

Our homie Zach, backside axle

Me, front rock to front pivot.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

rothdigga

• Rep: 594
« Reply #6862 on: April 09, 2019, 11:52:31 PM »

Just stumbling onto this thread now and creeping.  Richard, you've got some super sick stuff on there.  I'm usually more for shooting sunrise instead of sunset and it appears that you are as well from the looks of some of those.  I've dabbled in some astrophotography as well but I just haven't had the time to go out as much as I want.  I usually have to pick and choose my photo adventures and they usually end up more wildlife driven instead of landscape driven for the past 3-4 years.  But I have all of these Eastern Sierra spots picked out for lake/milky way reflection shots I want to do. 
That makes me want to build a website instead of just loading it all into Flickr and having it sit...but I'm not actively trying to sell photos either so it would be a pure vanity play I guess. 

feedmeseymour

« Reply #6863 on: April 10, 2019, 04:42:59 PM »
I’m want to try and snag one of these books, I’m hoping they aren’t dumb expensive like Jason lee’s shit. Pretty cool/funny all shot on a blackberry/iPhone 

Jehoshaphat Augustus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 296
« Reply #6864 on: April 10, 2019, 04:52:51 PM »
How much would you charge for a bound book of mobile phone photos? It looks sick tho.
All signs point to someone charging someone else out their buttocks in order to acquire this.

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 208
« Reply #6865 on: April 14, 2019, 06:11:53 AM »
I preordered it, 35 bucks

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6866 on: April 14, 2019, 03:11:21 PM »
How much would you charge for a bound book of mobile phone photos? It looks sick tho.
All signs point to someone charging someone else out their buttocks in order to acquire this.

Naw I'd say it's reasonably priced for a photobook. Also Jerry's style of photography works well with mobile phones or point and shoots. Will be pre-ordering it.

straight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6867 on: April 15, 2019, 07:26:04 PM »

RCB3

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6868 on: April 15, 2019, 08:27:19 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Just stumbling onto this thread now and creeping.  Richard, you've got some super sick stuff on there.  I'm usually more for shooting sunrise instead of sunset and it appears that you are as well from the looks of some of those.  I've dabbled in some astrophotography as well but I just haven't had the time to go out as much as I want.  I usually have to pick and choose my photo adventures and they usually end up more wildlife driven instead of landscape driven for the past 3-4 years.  But I have all of these Eastern Sierra spots picked out for lake/milky way reflection shots I want to do. 
That makes me want to build a website instead of just loading it all into Flickr and having it sit...but I'm not actively trying to sell photos either so it would be a pure vanity play I guess.

Thanks man! And good observation on the sunrise shots. I've always enjoy the morning light hitting the mountains and most places I shoot at sunset become backlit, so it's more silhouetteish. I used to be a lot more ambitious about getting up early to shoot, but I'm the opposite of a morning person and have gotten lazier as time goes on. I'm looking forward to summer where I do a lot of single day backpacking trips so it's easy to shoot sunrise/stars since you're already out there.

It's pretty cheap and easy to have a website these days, so I'd recommend it. It's nice to have an easy link to shoot people if they're interested.

Do you have a link to your stuff on Flickr? I'd love to check it out.

Irvine-Sucks.com

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2277
« Reply #6869 on: April 15, 2019, 09:41:07 PM »

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house