Author Topic: the photography thread.  (Read 717457 times)

feedmeseymour

Re: the photography thread.
« Reply #6870 on: April 16, 2019, 07:07:57 AM »
not sure if anyone cares to see this, i know product photography is kinda boring. This for a print ad at work (imagine text covering this photo) and figured id show my setup and layers for anyone interested. The bosses really liked the smoke effect on the one i did a while back, im not a fan, it feels like a cheap trick but hey they sign the checks so whatever.

here is the setup

the top layers named by color are just different grip colors that ill use to make a gif later.

finished photo

feedmeseymour

« Reply #6871 on: April 16, 2019, 07:21:39 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
This is good

Yess this is sick, such nice light on him, awesome expression too

straight

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 992
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6872 on: April 16, 2019, 03:12:16 PM »
thx .. someone on redit told me no one wants to see pictures of your dumb kids so now i don’t know what to take photos of
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

whale

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 208
« Reply #6873 on: April 17, 2019, 02:48:05 AM »
thx .. someone on redit told me no one wants to see pictures of your dumb kids so now i don’t know what to take photos of
Fuck 'em.
One of the main reason I picked up a camera again, was to document my kid growing up.
I try to make prints to put in an album, to have something to look at as years go by.
I do shoot other stuff too, but the photos of my kid are just something extra special to me.
So here's an old shot of mine, I've been slacking and need to develop some rolls...

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2277
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6874 on: April 17, 2019, 07:40:27 PM »
Landscapes worked when my wife told me to stop pointing the camera at her,but it got old for me...you'll find something

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

Jehoshaphat Augustus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 296
« Reply #6875 on: April 18, 2019, 05:24:50 AM »
Awesome work like always

you're seriously the man. i'm star struck on every golden nugget you share with us.
the smoke is the jpg from the vape you blew or did you create that later?

PlugSkullcandy

• Rep: 93
« Reply #6876 on: April 18, 2019, 12:33:49 PM »
Hey guys i just shot a roll of Ektar 100 at 800 iso... what do you think ? This is the first time I push color film... and it was not on purpose obviously...

Any tips ?

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6877 on: April 18, 2019, 12:54:50 PM »
Hey guys i just shot a roll of Ektar 100 at 800 iso... what do you think ? This is the first time I push color film... and it was not on purpose obviously...

Any tips ?
Did you shoot without flash in low light? Idk,whenever I did that I'd have the camera shop push it a stop(or 2) developing just to get my exposure and whatnot right.

PlugSkullcandy

« Reply #6878 on: April 18, 2019, 01:16:30 PM »
Expand Quote

Any tips ?
[close]
Did you shoot without flash in low light? Idk,whenever I did that I'd have the camera shop push it a stop(or 2) developing just to get my exposure and whatnot right.

I shoot in « normal light » (on sunny days)
And some sunset by the sea

I’ll ask my lab
Thanks !

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 208
« Reply #6879 on: April 18, 2019, 02:11:48 PM »

Any tips ?
It should be ok, just ask if your lab can push it.

PlugSkullcandy

« Reply #6880 on: April 18, 2019, 05:54:55 PM »
Thanks for the feedback !

bigboss_photo

• Rep: -1
« Reply #6881 on: April 19, 2019, 10:15:00 AM »
Anyone shooting large format skate photos?

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #6882 on: April 20, 2019, 02:17:55 PM »

At this point, probably not. Cost, size and limits of the camera probably hold most people back. I feel like the only people who could afford to do it would be someone like Atiba or maybe Arto. I know Scott Pommier shot some back in the day, I think on 4X5. I feel like Brian Gaberman also did.

Scott Pommier.

Kumiko

« Reply #6883 on: April 21, 2019, 08:46:20 AM »
Anyone have recommendations for a film scanner?

feedmeseymour

« Reply #6884 on: April 22, 2019, 06:26:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Awesome work like always
[close]

you're seriously the man. i'm star struck on every golden nugget you share with us.
the smoke is the jpg from the vape you blew or did you create that later?

haha great movie. thanks man, the smoke/vapor i just blew from the sides then snapped photos, like 4 smoke photos sampled/overlaid on eachother to get the one final.

ive seen people create smoke with brushes in photoshop, and the effect looks really good but i dont think id have the patience to create that from brushes. props to those who do any crazy digital brush work, theres alot of them out there.

slippy

• Rep: 87
« Reply #6885 on: April 22, 2019, 10:02:11 AM »

I use a epson v600 right now.  Not the fastest way to scan but the results are good enough to make large prints.  Plus if you dabble in large format or even use both 35mm and 120 it's nice to have a flatbed.  Got mine for $70 bucks on craigslist so cost is nice and low.
people who refuse to use apple products can blow my fucking stupid hog

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #6886 on: April 22, 2019, 07:11:07 PM »

What format are you shooting? Epson makes some good stuff. The V600/700 are both great, but I find flatbed scanners suck for 35mm. If you're scanning medium format you'll have better results. Personally I'd rather pay for lab scans. I just keep my scanner around to digitalize all my old rolls of film.

A lot of people are using digital cameras with a macro lens to scan negatives these days. If you search "digital camera film scanning" you'll get an idea of what you need. It seems to be a better option, since it also gives you another camera. A scanner is only as good as the sensor it uses, so using a newer digital camera is going to beat anything that a consumer level scanner can output.

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6887 on: April 22, 2019, 09:47:50 PM »
I've always wanted one of those epson scanners,but came up with the lomography smartphone scanner instead...it works ok but the digital camera and macro lens combo seems a little better. Here's an old one scanned:

Kumiko

« Reply #6888 on: April 24, 2019, 02:31:51 PM »
Thanks for the scanner recs. I'll have to check out that Lomography phone scanner if I don't come across a cheap epson any time soon. I'm only shooting 35 as a very casual hobby and am really only going to show it to a few small circles, so higher-res scans aren't necessary and it's absurdly expensive at my local place to scan, but fairly cheap to develop. I posted here in the past as Kumiko too and was restricted to online scan and develop which I did with thedarkroom.com. Here's a few snapshits from that time:

Matze

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6889 on: April 25, 2019, 01:44:32 AM »

tried some 2 months back and kinda had trouble with ... with being to stupid to set up a proper light. the toyo 45a is pretty heavy, so it's not fun to carry it around.

Omars_Dad

• Rep: 61
« Reply #6890 on: April 25, 2019, 12:15:53 PM »
I like to shoot some film from time to time, mostly when going camping or on a trip.

eranka

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6891 on: April 26, 2019, 05:05:17 AM »
Just started an IG account. All 35mm, mostly skating
https://www.instagram.com/9hundredz/

honey island

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
« Reply #6892 on: April 26, 2019, 11:19:13 AM »
I’m want to try and snag one of these books, I’m hoping they aren’t dumb expensive like Jason lee’s shit. Pretty cool/funny all shot on a blackberry/iPhone 

i have a copy and i love it, you can tell he was genuinely bummed how his last book turned out (the killing season) and went all out on this. i love a photo book that feels good in the hands. perfect size/paper/font. everything.

also in the mood to buy a lot of photos books. links to your favs please!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 11:29:11 AM by honey island »

Ray C. Usery

• Rep: 177
  • My brother Roy is into music
« Reply #6893 on: April 28, 2019, 02:04:37 PM »
Thanks for the scanner recs. I'll have to check out that Lomography phone scanner if I don't come across a cheap epson any time soon.

A $20 light table (tablet) and the FilmLab app on your phone is better than that Lomo thing. I waisted $60 to find that out.

I started shooting film last December when I saw a Ray Barbee interview on Think More Shoot Less. Wait? All I need is a bag and a can and I can develop my own film?!

Not fully understanding what I just watched I quickly googled "ray barbee's camera" and found that I was going to need a couple more thousand dollars then I had. I googled "cheep range finder" and found a world of great classic cameras that I could afford.

10 cameras later and I'm getting a little more comfortable with my picture taking. Still haven't found the camera I like the most. I think it's the Pentax MX, I got because that is what Glen E Friedman used, or my Yashica MG-1 are my favorites.

I love developing my own film. When I got prints at a shop I was so devastated to pick them up from someone who saw my shitty ass pics.

I got the Epson V600 to scan my negative's so I can see them before I get the prints. I use the VueScan software 'cause of a YouTube vid that I saw and liked

Still learning, I barley just learned about the Sunny 16

https://filmlabapp.com

https://www.amazon.com/Tikteck-Ultra-thin-Brightness-Stencilling-X-rayViewing/dp/B01M26S3VY/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=light+table&qid=1556484962&s=gateway&sr=8-3

https://www.amazon.com/HIKA-Photography-Changing-Darkroom-Developing/dp/B015MI2HWS/ref=sr_1_4?
crid=2F4HC6OQKO29X&keywords=film+tank&qid=1556485033&s=gateway&sprefix=film+tan%2Caps%2C193&sr=8-4

https://www.amazon.com/Paterson-Universal-tank-reels-115/dp/B0000BZMIH/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2F4HC6OQKO29X&keywords=film+tank&qid=1556485076&s=gateway&sprefix=film+tan%2Caps%2C193&sr=8-2

https://www.amazon.com/Ultrafine-Unicolor-Powder-Developer-Liter/dp/B00OU6LXUG/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2F4HC6OQKO29X&keywords=film+tank&qid=1556485076&s=gateway&sprefix=film+tan%2Caps%2C193&sr=8-5

https://www.amazon.com/Ultrafine-MONOBATH-Black-Liquid-Developer/dp/B07M6MPHRJ/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=monobath&qid=1556485145&s=gateway&sr=8-1

When I watch his interview now so much more make's sense. Thank you Youtube
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 02:42:17 PM by Ray C. Usery »

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6894 on: April 28, 2019, 02:09:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Thanks for the scanner recs. I'll have to check out that Lomography phone scanner if I don't come across a cheap epson any time soon.
[close]

A $20 light table (tablet) and the FilmLab app on your phone is better than that Lomo thing. I waisted $60 to find that out.

I started shooting film last December when I saw a Ray Barbee interview on Think More Shoot Less. Wait? All I need is a bag and a can and I can develop my own film?!

Not fully understanding what I just watched I quickly googled "ray barbee's camera" and found that I was going to need a couple more thousand dollars then I had. I googled "cheep range finder" and found a world of great classic cameras that I could afford.

10 cameras later and I'm getting a little more comfortable with my picture taking. Still haven't found the camera I like the most. I think it's the Pentax MX, I got because that is what Glen E Friedman used, or my Yashica MG-1 are my favorites.

I love developing my own film. When I got prints at a shop I was so devastated to pick them up from someone who saw my shitty ass pics.

I got the Epson V600 to scan my negative's so I can see them before I get the prints. I use the VueScan software 'cause of a YouTube vid that I saw and liked

Still learning, I barley just learned about the Sunny 16

https://filmlabapp.com

https://www.amazon.com/Tikteck-Ultra-thin-Brightness-Stencilling-X-rayViewing/dp/B01M26S3VY/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=light+table&qid=1556484962&s=gateway&sr=8-3

https://www.amazon.com/HIKA-Photography-Changing-Darkroom-Developing/dp/B015MI2HWS/ref=sr_1_4?
crid=2F4HC6OQKO29X&keywords=film+tank&qid=1556485033&s=gateway&sprefix=film+tan%2Caps%2C193&sr=8-4

https://www.amazon.com/Paterson-Universal-tank-reels-115/dp/B0000BZMIH/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2F4HC6OQKO29X&keywords=film+tank&qid=1556485076&s=gateway&sprefix=film+tan%2Caps%2C193&sr=8-2

https://www.amazon.com/Ultrafine-Unicolor-Powder-Developer-Liter/dp/B00OU6LXUG/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2F4HC6OQKO29X&keywords=film+tank&qid=1556485076&s=gateway&sprefix=film+tan%2Caps%2C193&sr=8-5

https://www.amazon.com/Ultrafine-MONOBATH-Black-Liquid-Developer/dp/B07M6MPHRJ/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=monobath&qid=1556485145&s=gateway&sr=8-1

When I watch his interview now so much more make's sense. Thank you Youtube
Damn going to try that table and app out,its true that the lomo scanner kinda sucks,I used it more with b&w film because color was touch n go

Ray C. Usery

« Reply #6895 on: April 28, 2019, 03:04:05 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Damn going to try that table and app out,its true that the lomo scanner kinda sucks,I used it more with b&w film because color was touch n go

I got the light table to look at my negatives but then I realized that I did't know what I was looking at.

People with more talent then me could use a lightbulb and the FilmLab app and get a better effect than me. So it's pretty much free all-around.

When I bought my table it only cost $12 so the price fluctuates

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6896 on: April 28, 2019, 03:07:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

I got the light table to look at my negatives but then I realized that I did't know what I was looking at.

People with more talent then me could use a lightbulb and the FilmLab app and get a better effect than me. So it's pretty much free all-around.

When I bought my table it only cost $12 so the price fluctuates
It's fun to DIY it,like dudes that have mini dark rooms in their closets

Ray C. Usery

« Reply #6897 on: April 28, 2019, 07:18:15 PM »
It's fun to DIY it, like dudes that have mini dark rooms in their closets

So fun. I can't wait to  get a proper enlarger to develop my own prints. Soon

I.C. Weiner

• Rep: -7
« Reply #6898 on: May 04, 2019, 06:33:26 AM »
made a portfolio site! Started taking photos in September when I started my media course and this is what i have so far.

https://patrickcoyle.myportfolio.com/

PlugSkullcandy

« Reply #6899 on: May 04, 2019, 09:30:23 AM »
made a portfolio site! Started taking photos in September when I started my media course and this is what i have so far.

https://patrickcoyle.myportfolio.com/

Cool photos
I really loved that « ghost » serie