Author Topic: the photography thread.  (Read 717430 times)

GhostBusters

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 55
  • Back off man. I'm a scientist
    • Speedhero avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: the PHOTOGRAPHY thread.
« Reply #270 on: December 17, 2008, 11:40:45 PM »
They look a little bit flat. When in PS just check the levels to see if you got true blacks and whites.

loophole

« Reply #271 on: December 18, 2008, 01:42:31 AM »
compared to the HDR photos, a little, but apart from that they seem fine! i love that kid in that first shot.

friendly dave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 742
  • grinding to a halt
    • grindingtoahalt avatar image
« Reply #272 on: December 18, 2008, 01:54:01 AM »
I've got an HD moniter and the pictures look fine to me.
Because you can't kill and idea, and we will not be ruled!

the visuals are also mad visual yo
FTW

SleepyPeePee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 61
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #273 on: December 19, 2008, 02:33:23 PM »
MORE:

shits weak...
totally defeats the everything of photography.
worse than photoshop.
looks like those stickers you get from the $50 machine, you know those cholo 'laugh no cry later' ones that are all glossy and ridiculous.
would you rather hear "woo" from the omar salazar pack? i wouldn't. their "yeahs" are genuine, and cool. "yeah" has been the battle cry of skaters for as long as i can remember.

Matze

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
« Reply #274 on: December 25, 2008, 01:04:36 PM »
 i haven't had a look at my bank account, but i got about 400-500 dollars in the end of january to spend on a medium format camera ... my  mom gave me 140, i have about 150 right now, so another 100 bucks saving and i'm in. i had a look on american ebay today and shit is much cheaper then here. you get a mamiya rb67 complete with shipping for a lil over 300 dollar, in germany it's close to 700.

but i'm not sure what i gonna take, i know ben has a fuji that is pretty good, but i want a 6x6 or 6x7. and that means a bronica sq vs. a mamiya, because everything thing else seems too expensive. any suggestions?

sebastian toombs

« Reply #275 on: December 25, 2008, 01:43:36 PM »
i haven't had a look at my bank account, but i got about 400-500 dollars in the end of january to spend on a medium format camera ... my  mom gave me 140, i have about 150 right now, so another 100 bucks saving and i'm in. i had a look on american ebay today and shit is much cheaper then here. you get a mamiya rb67 complete with shipping for a lil over 300 dollar, in germany it's close to 700.

but i'm not sure what i gonna take, i know ben has a fuji that is pretty good, but i want a 6x6 or 6x7. and that means a bronica sq vs. a mamiya, because everything thing else seems too expensive. any suggestions?

ghostbusters speaks very highly of the bronica SQAi, and has done some really nice work with it.   cheap to get in, but also cheap to get out (low resale value).   dont go for an RB or an RZ unless you think you will use it mostly in a studio -- so heavy. 

how about a rolleiflex 3.5F, with a planar lens?

i will brainstorm on the topic after dinner

friendly dave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 742
  • grinding to a halt
    • grindingtoahalt avatar image
« Reply #276 on: December 25, 2008, 04:49:27 PM »

These are from earlier this month before the weather took a total shit. There are some more here:
grindingtoahalt.blogspot.com
Because you can't kill and idea, and we will not be ruled!

the visuals are also mad visual yo
FTW

skatefilmer202

• Rep: -9
  • ya
« Reply #277 on: December 25, 2008, 05:55:51 PM »
heres my flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/26064965@N02/
take a look around and comment

sebastian toombs

« Reply #278 on: December 25, 2008, 06:41:19 PM »
fuji ga645zi, ga645i, ga 645, ga645w, or ga645wi
    -auto everything.   razor sharp.  645 format though...   plus slow lenses, and totally battery dependent

pentax 67 II
    - SLR on steroids.  lots of lenses.  6x7 format.   the SMC takumar 55mm lens is famous
    - pentax 67 is okay, but for the price, go for the 67 II with all its upgrades

mamiya c220 or c330
      - big studio TLRs.  but lots of control, and some surprisingly good interchangeable lenses

« Last Edit: December 25, 2008, 06:53:12 PM by sebastian toombs »

GhostBusters

• Speedhero avatar image
« Reply #279 on: December 25, 2008, 07:03:28 PM »
Bronica SQ system

Formats? Oh yeah, 6x6, 6x4.5, 35mm, 35mm panos(3 frames long i think) and polaroid.
Lenses are cheap, but still sharp and contrasty. 50mm/80mm/150mm can all be purchased of KEH.com for under 200 in good condition.
The bodies are great, cheap, durable, small and light. You can do double exposures, lock the lens open, sync at all speeds and have a bulb mode. You can get metered view finders, though a nice hand held meter is always preferable.

For a perfect setup you are looking at like 250-400us. As for resale, they have already hit rock bottom, you can't go too wrong. The camera will also last you for the rest of the life of film. Get it.

Pelican

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 252
« Reply #280 on: December 25, 2008, 07:05:42 PM »
here's a boring cliche macro of a flower.

Pelican

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 252
« Reply #281 on: December 25, 2008, 07:08:18 PM »
and here's a crop of a shitty picture i took while driving

sebastian toombs

« Reply #282 on: December 25, 2008, 07:51:51 PM »
Bronica SQ system

Formats? Oh yeah, 6x6, 6x4.5, 35mm, 35mm panos(3 frames long i think) and polaroid.
Lenses are cheap, but still sharp and contrasty. 50mm/80mm/150mm can all be purchased of KEH.com for under 200 in good condition.
The bodies are great, cheap, durable, small and light. You can do double exposures, lock the lens open, sync at all speeds and have a bulb mode. You can get metered view finders, though a nice hand held meter is always preferable.

For a perfect setup you are looking at like 250-400us. As for resale, they have already hit rock bottom, you can't go too wrong. The camera will also last you for the rest of the life of film. Get it.

does it have mirror lock up?  and can you carry it around without a packpack?

GhostBusters

• Speedhero avatar image
« Reply #283 on: December 25, 2008, 11:30:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Bronica SQ system

[close]

Yeah you can lock lens open. You can put it in one of those small purse sort of camera bags. Easily robust enough to just go without a case, its a tank.

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 687
« Reply #284 on: December 26, 2008, 12:07:02 AM »

still working on taking an actual good photograph, but it's sure fun to try.
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

Matze

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #285 on: December 26, 2008, 04:30:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Bronica SQ system

[close]

[close]
Yeah you can lock lens open. You can put it in one of those small purse sort of camera bags. Easily robust enough to just go without a case, its a tank.

perfect. you both made my decision pretty easy.

so i think i will get an bronica sq-ai. i think that getting all parts by bidding on ebay would be the cheapest way, but with all this shippng over the atlantic much too stressfull.

since 80mm lenses are mostly incude i gonna start with these ... i thought about getting something about 110mm, but it'll be fine for the beginning.

this looks fine to me , and it's in my budged. i have just one problem: i have no credit card or paypal ... is it complicated to create a paypal account? it says, that i is for free, but i'm sure there are some fees somewhere ...

oh and nice potrait of obove, these teeth look scary!

sebastian toombs

« Reply #286 on: December 26, 2008, 07:35:56 AM »
matze,

i would say that ebay seller doesnt have a very established rep, and its not clear that they know that much about cameras.
   but check these out:

http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/pho/921698997.html
http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/pho/921868405.html
http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/pho/953980690.html

we could work something out involving money orders, me checking out the camera and negotiating down the price, mailing it to you, etc.

b

GhostBusters

• Speedhero avatar image
« Reply #287 on: December 26, 2008, 12:30:41 PM »
Get a PS 150mm. Best lens ever.

Matze

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #288 on: December 26, 2008, 07:16:12 PM »
the first one is worth about 1100 us dollars on german ebay ... god damn it, it's fucking cheap. now i get the feeing why you said that medium format is cheap these days. if you buy 3 cams and sell 2 of them here, you can have the last one for free ... i gonna look up what my bank account says, then we can start to handle things out in one week when i'm home. i'm really thankfull for all your help.

Mooley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
« Reply #289 on: December 28, 2008, 03:19:25 PM »
Damnit now I'm kind of considering a bronny now that a few are popping up for sale.

BriefCase

• Rep: 3
« Reply #290 on: December 28, 2008, 04:41:36 PM »
i came up on a bronny kit that included a 35mm ps 80mm waist level finer and a prism finder for under 500us. ive straight dropped the body onto cement and it still works like new and the 35mm is pretty sharp aswell

Mooley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
« Reply #291 on: December 28, 2008, 07:04:44 PM »
Rad. I'm thinking I might invest my Christmas money in one just cause even though I figure I'm really inexperienced with film to be fucking around with MF the thing will be a tank and like Ghostbusters said it'll last as long as film does.

sebastian toombs

« Reply #292 on: December 28, 2008, 07:09:32 PM »
Rad. I'm thinking I might invest my Christmas money in one just cause even though I figure I'm really inexperienced with film to be fucking around with MF the thing will be a tank and like Ghostbusters said it'll last as long as film does.

its so simple if you practice / play around with it regularly.   one tip is, invest in some cheap slide film on ebay (eg: fuji velvia, provia, or astia, or kodak whatever... ).  although slide film is a bit less forgiving than negative film, if you can get it for a good price on ebay then your total cost per roll (film and processing) goes way down, because slide processing is cheaper.    don's photo does good processing in calgary...

GhostBusters

• Speedhero avatar image
« Reply #293 on: December 28, 2008, 07:25:00 PM »
i came up on a bronny kit that included a 35mm ps 80mm waist level finer and a prism finder for under 500us. ive straight dropped the body onto cement and it still works like new and the 35mm is pretty sharp aswell
You are talking about the PS 35mm fisheye? You could sell it for over 1000us. I purchased mine off Keh more than a year ago for 999us and then sold it recently for 1300us. Profit even after a few hits.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 317
« Reply #294 on: December 30, 2008, 12:44:03 PM »

I know the action is far away but I wanted to capture the environment. This is a composite of like 6 photos using the kit lens on an XTi.

So anyone else shoot strictly digital? I just bought a Nikon D90 over my Canon XTi and wondering if people have preferences on camera brands. I struggled so hard on getting this Nikon and now that I have it, so many Canon heads are telling me I wasted my money. I pretty much bought this over the Canon 40D and could not afford a full frame like a Mark II or a regular 5D.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

DRVAD666

• Rep: -5
    • http://www.strangemilitary.com/images/content/101001.jpg avatar image
« Reply #295 on: December 30, 2008, 08:28:51 PM »
all of this is insane shit

GhostBusters

• Speedhero avatar image
« Reply #296 on: December 30, 2008, 10:47:44 PM »

I know the action is far away but I wanted to capture the environment. This is a composite of like 6 photos using the kit lens on an XTi.

So anyone else shoot strictly digital? I just bought a Nikon D90 over my Canon XTi and wondering if people have preferences on camera brands. I struggled so hard on getting this Nikon and now that I have it, so many Canon heads are telling me I wasted my money. I pretty much bought this over the Canon 40D and could not afford a full frame like a Mark II or a regular 5D.
It is all the same. Digital will never look as good as film. But get some good lenses and you are golden.

natenola forever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 117
« Reply #297 on: December 31, 2008, 05:23:04 AM »

i like canon stuff cuz thats what i've always had and i shoot with a 5d now, but theres a few kids with nikons down here that get some really nice results. I think people like canon more cuz they make superior high end lenses but you'd have to be making pretty good money shooting to justify buying those things. So yeah just invest in a few nice lenses and you'll be good to go. Just make sure to get full frame lense so that your not stuck with a useless lense when full frame becomes more affordable in the next few years.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 317
« Reply #298 on: December 31, 2008, 10:10:05 AM »
Does anyone know what kind of cameras skate photographers use? I actually got the impression that a lot of them use Nikons like Morford and even Reda. I think Atiba uses Canons but I could be wrong.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

natenola forever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 117
« Reply #299 on: December 31, 2008, 10:41:18 AM »
Does anyone know what kind of cameras skate photographers use? I actually got the impression that a lot of them use Nikons like Morford and even Reda. I think Atiba uses Canons but I could be wrong.
Atiba has been shooting a lot of stuff on some crazy expensive digital meduim format, i think its a Hassleblad
but i think he uses a Canon 1ds for sequences, i know he used to always uses canons
Morford was holding a Nikon on wednsdays with Reda
I know a lot of dudes are using Canon but not really sure which one i think prolly a lot of 1ds, i know theres a few different versions
one is a full frame with a really fast flash sync and theres another one that shoots really fast sequences.
when i saw Jon Mehring he had a canon 5d