Author Topic: bikes  (Read 310244 times)

jack burton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
Re: bikes
« Reply #450 on: December 06, 2010, 11:47:31 AM »
God damn Barcelona looks beautiful.

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #451 on: December 06, 2010, 12:48:38 PM »
God damn Barcelona looks beautiful.

it is, but fuck, i wouldnt want to have such a short handle-bar...

Inbred Jed

« Reply #452 on: December 06, 2010, 01:01:18 PM »
I was going to say that sometimes I see these kids on fixed gear bikes and the handle bars stick out like 4 inches on each side. Is that comfortable or functional?

Blue Fescue

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #453 on: December 06, 2010, 01:10:50 PM »
I was going to say that sometimes I see these kids on fixed gear bikes and the handle bars stick out like 4 inches on each side. Is that comfortable or functional?

It's for getting through traffic

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 317
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #454 on: December 06, 2010, 01:26:14 PM »
I've been so on the fence with getting a fixie but I think I just need a new hobby and wouldn't mind riding around the city with one. I just got $500 to burn but I am not sure how to approach this whole process. People say to build a bike but I kind of just want to get one off the bat. Anyone recommend a bike within the price range of $500-700 or have recommendations on how to do this? I have been slowly researching things here and there and figure a great way to start is getting a Bianchi Pista but I am just wondering if there is anything else worth investing in.

I found a place in SF that sells a Pista Flat Bar for $599 but don't know if I should jump on that.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

whiteley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 362
« Reply #455 on: December 06, 2010, 02:56:47 PM »
^ if you look on craigslist you can find plenty of deals in the bay area. the cheap way to go is just to strip down an old bike and get a rear hub/wheel made. you can see how much you like riding one without a major investment. i haven't ridden a fixey regularly since like 2001, but back then i bought an old motobecane for $100, had a wheel made for like $75, and it rode great, i still have it. if you want something brand new, pistas are kinda the stock choice, can't go wrong.

max power

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #456 on: December 06, 2010, 06:45:27 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

haha, philly bars. their practicality highly dubious.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #457 on: December 07, 2010, 12:51:22 PM »
Expand Quote
i'm clueless about this shit but i'd really like a nice, cheap fixie. help??
[close]

http://bikesdirect.com/products/mercier/kilott.htm

Thanks for this link. This is pretty much the cost I am looking for in a new bike right now. Just a question for people that can answer.

This is the sizing on the Mercier Kilo TT:

NOTE: Sized center to center, most riders fit a size smaller than they fit in a center to top sized bike
Example - if you ride a 58cm center to top sized bike then you may prefer the 55cm Kilo TT
Please refer to the sizing charts before making your own purchase decision

Sizing: (c-c = center to center seat tube, c-t = center to top, TT = top tube c-c)
44cm (c-c) is 47cm(c-t) with TT of 503mm* and standover of 28.5 inches*
47cm (c-c) is 50cm(c-t) with TT of 513mm and standover of 29 inches
50cm (c-c) is 53cm(c-t) with TT of 523mm and standover of 30.4 inches
53cm (c-c) is 56cm(c-t) with TT of 548mm and standover of 31.5 inches
55cm (c-c) is 58cm(c-t) with TT of 560mm and standover of 32 inches
57cm (c-c) is 60cm(c-t) with TT of 575mm and standover of 33 inches
60cm (c-c) is 63cm(c-t) with TT of 606mm and standover of 34 inches
63cm (c-c) is 66cm(c-t) with TT of 630mm and standover of 35.5 inches
(*estimated measurements of new size)

Most riders fit the size they clear the standover by 1-1.5 inches
The "standover" is the distance from the floor to the upper surface of the top tube that is between ones legs when straddling the bicycle. Most riders want at least 1 to 1.5 inches between them and the hard chromoly steel top tube.

I am 5'8 with a 30" inseam. Since they say you have to clearr about an inch or 1.5 inches from the top, does that mean I have to get a 47cm frame? Or do I get what fits my inseam size which is the 50cm frame? 

I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 54
« Reply #458 on: December 07, 2010, 04:13:34 PM »
I would love to strap a motor to my bicycle this spring, how would I go about doing that? I imagine it's super difficult.

Loud ass 2-stroke strapped in the middle of the frame would be so sick. Is it possible?

Edit -

Something like this would be tight, but as a person of little mechanical inclination, I don't think it's the best idea. I'll probably just shop for a cheap moped on craigslist.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 04:16:37 PM by Smell Good »

Blue Fescue

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #459 on: December 07, 2010, 05:47:10 PM »
I would love to strap a motor to my bicycle this spring, how would I go about doing that? I imagine it's super difficult.

Loud ass 2-stroke strapped in the middle of the frame would be so sick. Is it possible?

Edit -

Something like this would be tight, but as a person of little mechanical inclination, I don't think it's the best idea. I'll probably just shop for a cheap moped on craigslist.

There are conversion kits on ebay but you will look like an idiot, smell like lawnmower and they are really loud

Acrid Avid Jam Shred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -156
« Reply #460 on: December 07, 2010, 09:33:22 PM »
If you guys haven't watched MASH you should, it's pretty awesome.

Lake

• Rep: -5
« Reply #461 on: December 07, 2010, 11:13:52 PM »
I don't know if this video has been posted yet but I like this video of Chris Cole.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 11:40:09 PM by Lake »

NowhereInLife

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 20
« Reply #462 on: December 08, 2010, 10:48:37 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

trimmed bars are good for traffic, but that narrow is kinda silly, unless your shoulders are only ten inches wide.

Blue Fescue

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #463 on: December 08, 2010, 12:15:28 PM »
The narrowest point between two cars is between the mirrors, below your shoulders right around the bars

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #464 on: December 08, 2010, 12:25:00 PM »
What's good with Leader Bike frames? They look cool but they seem insanely cheap. Only goes for about a little over $200.

I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin

Inbred Jed

« Reply #465 on: December 08, 2010, 01:07:16 PM »
They're amphibious, apparently

NowhereInLife

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 20
« Reply #466 on: December 08, 2010, 01:32:45 PM »
The narrowest point between two cars is between the mirrors, below your shoulders right around the bars

true, i use narrow. but when you get to where the only hand position is next to the stem, you compromise functionality.

when i see traffic jamming i tend to ride in the middle of the street, there's usually more room on the line.  less chance of getting doored etc.

Claude Tanner

• Rep: 24
« Reply #467 on: December 17, 2010, 11:44:58 AM »

Matze

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
« Reply #468 on: January 27, 2011, 02:11:05 AM »
my bike got stolen 2 months ago, which bummed me out a little bit. yesterday, I got an old frame for free from this guy I'm studying with, who also does the bike workshop at our university. anyway, he suggested to help me with building up a new bike. my plan is to have a single speed, that has a classic look.

I got rid of the lights and other stuff, cleaned it and found an new/old steering wheel, that I might use with a little bit of modification. I think I want to keep the original fenders. I thought that I need to get a brooks saddle and 3 hours later I got a black one of ebay for 26 euros. I still need everything else, but my friend is really helping me out with this.

in the end, it should kind of look like this, but I guess it will not.

???

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 86
« Reply #469 on: January 27, 2011, 11:33:45 AM »
^^^^^ Good for you you. That looks like a fun build.

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #470 on: January 27, 2011, 11:54:20 AM »
i?ve got this 30year old fella

but in an awesome jaguar-kind-of green. complete in original state, even those stone-age-lights work. got rid of the brakes and all the cables though, also that packing-thing on the rear wheel had to go. as soon as i put it out of its winter-sleep, i?ll post some pictures.

i know you guys cannot wait for that to happen.

whiteley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 362
« Reply #471 on: March 30, 2011, 11:36:13 AM »
Stumbled upon Icarus recently. Custom frames with some unusual designs. Maybe some day, for now just good eye candy.
http://cargocollective.com/icarusframes#

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #472 on: March 30, 2011, 03:37:10 PM »

I built this bike a month ago but have been gathering parts for it for the past 3 months. It was expensive but it could have been more. The frame is a 2011 super pista and goes for about $800 after tax but I got it new on Craigslist for $650. All the other parts were used off Craigslist as well except for the crank, chain, and tires. I think it looks clean without the hipster look, but I am sure others could dissagree. Haven't riden it as much as I would like but with the weather changing finally, I am going to get some good use out of it.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin

Smell Good

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 54
« Reply #473 on: March 30, 2011, 04:39:48 PM »
^Not a fan of riser bars personally. I think some narrow bullhorns would looks sick for that.

pancake man

• Rep: 34
« Reply #474 on: March 30, 2011, 04:43:02 PM »
that's a dope bike! looks like you'd go to the velodrome though haha

bentmode

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Da$h
« Reply #475 on: March 30, 2011, 06:21:21 PM »
^Not a fan of riser bars personally. I think some narrow bullhorns would looks sick for that.

Completely agree. When I think, "hipster look" riser bars come to mind. I would only ever ride drop bars but I can see the appeal of bull horns.
Han solo blew up the Death Star in Episode 4.  Heard it from a friend.  Reliable source.

steve

• Rep: 45
« Reply #476 on: March 30, 2011, 06:32:42 PM »
nice bike. bianchi makes such a good frame. i'm riding an early 80s pista. haven't paid a red cent for anything on it either, just got a new set of wheels and tires too.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #477 on: March 30, 2011, 08:26:50 PM »
Right on for the props. That is interesting about the riser bars. I actually thought I would be faking the funk more if I got bullhorns but I guess shows what I know about this whole bike thing. At least I didn't cut the riser bars too short because I more or less I thought that was a hipster look. The bike is comfortable though and is a nice ride. Probably going to install a brake also since I don't want to die in the hills of SF.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin

Acrid Avid Jam Shred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -156
« Reply #478 on: March 30, 2011, 10:35:04 PM »
I'm not a fan of bull horns, just get some track drops or stick with the risers. You'll only hit hipsterdom if you cut them down to a ridiculous and impractical length.

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #479 on: April 12, 2011, 01:59:18 AM »
finally, winterbreak for my about 40year old gem is over. (no fixie, its a singlespeed. i dont think that the frame could take the forces when changing it to fixie. also, its a perfect cruiser right now.)