Author Topic: bikes  (Read 310179 times)

shucknjive

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -39
Re: bikes
« Reply #1170 on: September 04, 2019, 10:15:09 AM »
i won bike

mArLeY

tumulishoomaroom

• Rep: 48
« Reply #1171 on: September 05, 2019, 02:34:10 AM »
Here are a few pics from my ride from LA to NY earlier this year (36 days in April and May).

My last day was actually the best. I woke-up in Philly and had planned on riding 55 miles into Princeton, New Jersey, taking it easy for the night and finishing the last 55 or so miles into Manhattan but my body felt great that day and I made the 114 mile trip in about just over 8 hours.

So sick, congrats ! April / May seems to be a good time to do this.

Definitely on my list in the near future; but I'll takle some long distances in EU first just for convenience's sake.

Bagelskate

• Rep: 62
« Reply #1172 on: September 05, 2019, 04:28:56 AM »
Expand Quote
did you do that whole ride not clipped in?
[close]

Yep. I didn't want clips because I knew how much I'd be walking in heavy dirt or grass for camping and didn't want to deal with getting shit stuck in it. Plus, I packed as light as I could and didn't want a second pair of shoes. I started the trip with cages but took them off about 4 days in. With a heavier touring bike and about 20lbs packed on the back, I didn't feel like I lost that much power not being clipped in.

Expand Quote
Mildly wonderin which route u took through CA? Even more curious how u went through the San Bernardino mountains?
[close]

It was day two, and one of the harder days (heat and climbing)

Did you use Strava to track it? I’d enjoy looking at your stats and whole trip.

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #1173 on: September 05, 2019, 04:47:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Yep. I didn't want clips because I knew how much I'd be walking in heavy dirt or grass for camping and didn't want to deal with getting shit stuck in it. Plus, I packed as light as I could and didn't want a second pair of shoes. I started the trip with cages but took them off about 4 days in. With a heavier touring bike and about 20lbs packed on the back, I didn't feel like I lost that much power not being clipped in.

Expand Quote
Mildly wonderin which route u took through CA? Even more curious how u went through the San Bernardino mountains?
[close]

[close]

I would also like to see your strava data.
Did you go through a lot of parts, chains, cassettes or tires?

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #1174 on: September 05, 2019, 07:21:31 AM »
 I bought a Stolen (thats the brand) sinner xlt 21 inch top tube.  Bowl rider.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

DarthDingusMaximus

« Reply #1175 on: September 05, 2019, 08:16:16 AM »
I have done long distance rides on a bmx once and that fucking sucked dick, it was a Haro 24" I traded it halfway through my trip from Conn to Boston haven't really fucked with bmx since then.

I have also done a long distance ride from Santa Rosa to Santa Cruz with a kiddy hauler and my doggo for a bit. That was my favorite ride ever both of us just being free no one to hold us back and when cops came if any they just knew we weren't up to no good, it is weird how you have to have a disguise to pull off the part of being able to chillout without getting hassled.

Also on my many bike trips and squatting trips I found graveyards really are peaceful in a cliche surreal moments and plus if you are in a older section most times no one comes through as long as you pick up after yourself you won't get hassled.

DanTheDoucher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -195
« Reply #1176 on: September 05, 2019, 08:37:49 AM »
I bought an old DK BMX bike off Craigslist a few years ago to ride from my car to my office in the city. It went well for about 6 months until I popped the back tire. I take the back wheel off and change the tube. I go to put the wheel back on and find out that the frame on the bike is bent and it took me about an hour to get the wheel back on.

I popped the tire again about 6 months later and just said fuck it. The bike has been sitting in my garage ever since.
FUCK YOU
not stoked on orcas today. leave the whales alone. big ass black and white motherfuckers. free willy can suck my dick

Yushin Okami

• Rep: 115
« Reply #1177 on: September 05, 2019, 11:36:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
I would also like to see your strava data.
Did you go through a lot of parts, chains, cassettes or tires?

I was pretty shit about using Strava. I did the trip alone and honestly, a lot of days were just hard and I was annoyed at even opening Strava, but I probably tracked about 20 of the 36 days. My favorite part of looking at my trip though is the last two hours when I was about 10 miles outside of New York. I was 100+ miles in for the day already and I got to a bridge that was closed and I did circles for 10 minutes trying to figure out how to get on it. Luckily, it was a Saturday and there were no construction workers so I ended jumping a fence, throwing my bags over and using my little bungee cords and a trash car to pull my bike over it.

Regarding my bike, I bought it brand new just a couple weeks before my trip and it gave me zero issues. Some screws broke off of the rack and I stayed with some really nice guys in Delaware who owned a bike shop who gave me a full tune-up that was needed, but they said everything was in great shape. Didn't have a single flat (used Continental Gatorskins tires). Can't recommend a Long Haul Trucker enough.

We all know you have two sexy anthropomorphic wolves who buttfuck each other on the bottom of your board.

DarthDingusMaximus

« Reply #1178 on: September 05, 2019, 05:37:24 PM »
I bought an old DK BMX bike off Craigslist a few years ago to ride from my car to my office in the city. It went well for about 6 months until I popped the back tire. I take the back wheel off and change the tube. I go to put the wheel back on and find out that the frame on the bike is bent and it took me about an hour to get the wheel back on.

I popped the tire again about 6 months later and just said fuck it. The bike has been sitting in my garage ever since.
This........

I've bought several bikes of Craigslist and with the same results by the end I either donate the parts to my local bike collective or give it away to someone who can use it.

I only fuck with road bikes these days, but if the mood catches me I am known to ride some dirt trails super fun.

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #1179 on: September 06, 2019, 04:38:36 AM »
did you do the journey alone? the gator skins are so tough, kinda slow, but perfect for a cross country. No flats is beyond impressive.

Yushin Okami

• Rep: 115
« Reply #1180 on: September 06, 2019, 12:44:47 PM »
did you do the journey alone? the gator skins are so tough, kinda slow, but perfect for a cross country. No flats is beyond impressive.

Yeah, I did it solo.
We all know you have two sexy anthropomorphic wolves who buttfuck each other on the bottom of your board.

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 89
« Reply #1181 on: September 06, 2019, 02:58:04 PM »
just got a marin hybrid for casual city riding.  rode from the breckenridge park to frisco and back.  used my leather motorcycle gloves and they worked great.  lots of fun.

took my friends mountain bike to copper for the first time.  chairlifts with a bike is amazing.  might get a summer pass next year.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1182 on: September 06, 2019, 03:15:34 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
This........

I've bought several bikes of Craigslist and with the same results by the end I either donate the parts to my local bike collective or give it away to someone who can use it.

I only fuck with road bikes these days, but if the mood catches me I am known to ride some dirt trails super fun.

You dont try to pedal a bmx or to do a commute with one.  -Theyre not for that imo (tho Ive heard of people who do it). 

offkilter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
« Reply #1183 on: September 06, 2019, 03:17:27 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah, I did it solo.

Hey congrats man! Glad it all went well. Seeing your photos is making me really want to get back out on a cross country / long distance ride and it’s only been a couple of months. I forgot to post about it in here but I was having so many problems with my Cannondale (of course) that I ended up getting a LHT about half way through in Austin TX, best decision and I should have just bought one at the beginning.

Cool Ceith

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
  • Did someone say sassy?
« Reply #1184 on: September 08, 2019, 06:03:56 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah, I did it solo.
So sick man! This is really motivating to see. (And I love my Gatorskins; really helped me step up my long haul game  :).)

Skibb

• Rep: 68
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #1185 on: September 08, 2019, 10:56:01 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

Amazing, those pics you posted are sick. Just wondering - why did you lose the cages?

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1523
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1186 on: September 18, 2019, 12:05:50 PM »
sorry for the shameless plug, but a skateboarding buddy of mine (and my neighbor for the past few years) is the carpenter behind a wooden kids bike project and they need some kickstarter love: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bixie-balance-bike/bixie-wooden-balance-bike-for-kids

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1187 on: September 29, 2019, 06:55:59 AM »
  Havent touched my rigid mtb since my bmx purchase.  I've been going to the park when its not busy and getting some bowl carves and airs and shit. Bmx is all about the landings that are kind to the wrists.  Being smooth or ur wrists are done.    You can FLY across the city and bmx bikes have come a ways and theyre nice rides holy shit.   Super stoked.  (Still like skating more)  Ive almost given myself a heart attack mid air numerous times on my bmx.  On a skate ur good cause you just bail/kick it away.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 06:59:22 AM by givecigstosurfgroms »

aloftystandard

• Rep: 2
« Reply #1188 on: November 04, 2019, 09:14:12 PM »
Im selling my road bike. Its a 2018 Orbea Orca 60cm race ready ultegra di2 carbon revin wheels things plush. Have it listed for $2200 but heavy discounts for SLAP pals
https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2674182/

DarthDingusMaximus

« Reply #1189 on: November 05, 2019, 04:04:59 AM »
I've ordered a bike off citygrounds.com  has anyone ever ordered a complete bike from them

I know  I know jokes on me right?!,  I have read the sketchy reviews online I'd just like to hear from someone who actually ordered their bike albeit this site.  was it a success? was there any issues with customer service? did they fulfill your order right? was the product bent? 

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #1190 on: November 05, 2019, 04:07:26 AM »
those sites are scary. what did you order?
that obrea is pretty.

DarthDingusMaximus

« Reply #1191 on: November 05, 2019, 04:16:24 AM »
those sites are scary. what did you order?
that obrea is pretty.

I was wanting a flip flop hub and not pay a fuckload for something that I may or may not like Raleigh has made quality bikes before and I am hyped on this one, however I am that dude that thinks the worst will happen.

That's why I asked if anyone has ordered a bike from them....

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #1192 on: November 05, 2019, 07:11:25 AM »
its probably going to be awesome. Fixed gears are easier to ship.
 Are you using it to commute?

DarthDingusMaximus

« Reply #1193 on: November 05, 2019, 09:11:52 AM »
Weight loss and commuting, I was using a bmx beforehand and it was up to snuff as far as not hunching forwards, however I need a commuter for full length leg training and overall stamina.

I have gotten too comfortable with my diet so now I need to stop being a pussy and get it while I can.

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #1194 on: November 06, 2019, 08:19:37 AM »
get some, you made a good choice. Post it when you put it together.

FROTHY

« Reply #1195 on: November 06, 2019, 09:12:55 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Weight loss and commuting, I was using a bmx beforehand and it was up to snuff as far as not hunching forwards, however I need a commuter for full length leg training and overall stamina.

I have gotten too comfortable with my diet so now I need to stop being a pussy and get it while I can.

Yeah I'm curious to see how that works out. There's a freakin velodrome down the street from me. Might have to get a cheap track bike if I hear good things.

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #1196 on: November 06, 2019, 10:05:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yeah I'm curious to see how that works out. There's a freakin velodrome down the street from me. Might have to get a cheap track bike if I hear good things.
fuji track is a good entry level for velodrome.  Indoor or outdoor? Which one do you live near?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 12:37:24 PM by Beeda Weeda »

FROTHY

« Reply #1197 on: November 06, 2019, 12:37:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
fuji track is a good entry level for velodrome.  Indoor or outdoor? Which one do you leave near?

Boulder Valley Velodrom. I believe it's for dead-ass race teams, but apparently they have days for beginners to ride too, so I'm thinking of checking it out when it opens again after the winter.

edit: Change of plans. Looks like someone just bought the velodrome and is going to demolish it.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 12:44:51 PM by FROTHY »

50mm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 260
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
« Reply #1198 on: November 06, 2019, 12:51:09 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

Right in my hood.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 546
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #1199 on: November 06, 2019, 04:53:00 PM »
Putting new bars on my single speed today, it feels like I’m stuck in the Hipster Tendencies thread given where I took it to get them done