Author Topic: Da Camping Thread  (Read 4410 times)

All Hail Wu Welsh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Da Camping Thread
« on: May 19, 2009, 03:03:23 PM »
I don't know if there has been a thread dedicated to camping yet or not, so I figured I'd start one to discuss our adventures in the wilderness and other things involving camping.  I'm also looking for a good camp site with some sweet sweet cliff jumps in the New York area for this summer, any of you upstate or PA pals got any suggestions.

Upgrayedd

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 446
  • Fuck Tom Knox
Re: Da Camping Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 03:05:34 PM »
went camping in north georgia one year and there was a bear just chillin beside my tent. freaked me out.

Slap Gravitational Waveboarding Magazine:
"We can't do it yet, but when we can it'll be sick."
-grim

Lance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 03:06:55 PM »
http://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=33&topic=32743.msg831901;topicseen#msg831901

pm me if you want Upstate spots, i go alot and have all the trail maps for the Adirondacks...I already got 2 epic trips mapped out for this summer.
Anyone else notice that Tony Parker is the Gino of basketball?

stabbin

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 04:31:08 PM »
went camping in north georgia one year and there was a bear just chillin beside my tent. freaked me out.
Was it anywhere near Dalton?

Upgrayedd

• SLAP Pal
  • Fuck Tom Knox
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 06:52:39 PM »
Helen actually. but now that you mention it, its more in the Blue Ridge region. but either way its hella nice up there.

-grim

Dr. Newton 2.0

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 08:09:16 PM »
I'm a big fan of The North Face jackets and camping gear. I don't personally ever go camping though.

aleksander

• Rep: 124
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 08:13:47 PM »
Helen actually. but now that you mention it, its more in the Blue Ridge region. but either way its hella nice up there.

Fuck I was in Helen a few years ago in that river sitting in an inner tube and got bit by a water snake. For such a goofy-ass place I guess Helen is pretty dangerous.
"Let's just do something stupid and ridiculous and just be as fucking regular as we possibly can."

Upgrayedd

• SLAP Pal
  • Fuck Tom Knox
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 08:21:03 PM »
i like going up there a little before October, looks amazing. and that tube shit is the best.

-grim

Blue Fescue

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 08:31:43 PM »
I just got back from an amazing trip through northwest Australia.  two week of four wheel drive through remote national parks. 

fakie nollie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1057
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2020, 09:00:43 PM »
I'm digging this out from the grave - Who likes camping here? Slight twist on the title... what's your favorite national park?

Prior to COVID-19, I tried to go camp once a month in small campgrounds around Ventura and Santa Barbara county. Camping on the beach sucks but it's nice at night. 

Twice a year, I try to hit major national parks on the west. Yosemite, Sequoia, Grand Canyon and Monument Valley.

Out of all the places I've stayed, Monument Valley was the most peaceful and breathtaking place I've ever been.

Where I'd like to go between 2020-2022:
-Yellowstone
-Glacier
-Crater lake

EdLawndale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1100
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2020, 10:25:17 PM »
You been to Jalama Beach?
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

Blue Fescue

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2020, 02:22:48 AM »
Backpacking and kayak camping.  had a bunch of trips planned here in the southeast but they are delayed now.  hoping to paddle a river near here for about a week though soon.  there shouldn't be a lot of human contact since I believe my kayak is big enough to carry everything.

fakie nollie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2020, 06:44:52 AM »

I certainly have! Many times. When I surfed more often, I'd camp there in the winters. Lately, I'm only driving there for a burger and a walk down the beach. Again, fuck camping in the sand.

jack burton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2020, 08:19:19 AM »
Was hoping to go camping in Zion in May during a cross country trip but that’s obviously not happening. Got a bunch of camping stuff recently which I haven’t gotten to use yet. Hoping there are still places I can camp safely however in the coming weeks.

Bata

• Rep: -72
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2020, 08:30:33 AM »
Never been camping for real but I love cottages and RVs. I'm kinda scared of bears and wolves and not having a shower with hot water

PincherBug

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -102
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2020, 01:41:45 PM »
fakie nollie you ever camp at Cachuma Lake or Casitas Lake? What about Leo Carillo? 

Cachuma is the go to for my family, decent sized lake(for socal) up in Santa Barbra mountains. All the guys in my extended family get together once a year, spend a week camping and have a fishing tournament/horseshoe tournament once a year. This year is supposed to be our 40th annual (if the lake is opened back up by June).  Right now its only open for the day, till the lockdown is over.

My cousin lives in Ventura and is at Casitas all the time, its only like a 15 minute drive.  He keeps his boat docked there and fishes every weekend.  I don't go to Casitas as much, it's hard to fish that lake and have never had much luck there.  They do have a nice campground though.  I would rather drive the extra 40 minutes too Cachuma

Leo Carillo has the nicest beach camping around Malibu/Ventura area.  Its right across PCH in a little canyon at the foot of the Santa Monica mountains(but in walking distance to the beach) so its not like beach/in the sand camping.  Always had fun times camping there. Tasty waves, caves to go exploring in, hiking and tidepools.  Its so hard to get a camping spot there, you have to plan like 6 months in advance and than they are all reserved within like 15 minutes. Thats why I havent been there in like 10 years.

Jagr

• Rep: 116
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2020, 02:20:03 PM »
Nothing beats a camping/skate road trip. Camp at a new spot each night and hit up various parks/spots during the day. Do a little swimming and fishing too. Montana is my favorite place for this. Lots of fun parks even in super remote locations (thanks Evergreen!) and tons of free camping.

I like primitive/dispersed camping best. Way up forest service roads in national forests, water management areas, out on BLM land, fishing access areas, that kind of thing.

National park campgrounds usually feel too crowded to me. It's pretty easy to find much mellower places to camp in surrounding national forests and then pop into the national parks during the day. There are some phenomenal free campsites near Grand Teton as well as near the north, northeast, and west entrances to Yellowstone.

Next up on my list is a trip through the southwest. I really want to do Utah's national parks, Great Basin in Nevada, Monument Valley, Mogollon Rim, and Sedona. I'd also love to check out Big Bend in Texas if I have enough time.

I think my dream camping trip is a big loop through western Canada...Vancouver Island up to Whitehorse (maybe a side trip to Haida Gwaii) then on the Liard Highway over to Yellowknife and then down to Banff. Would need at least a month for this one. Hope to do this in the next few years.

fakie nollie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2020, 02:21:41 PM »
fakie nollie you ever camp at Cachuma Lake or Casitas Lake? What about Leo Carillo? 

Cachuma is the go to for my family, decent sized lake(for socal) up in Santa Barbra mountains. All the guys in my extended family get together once a year, spend a week camping and have a fishing tournament/horseshoe tournament once a year. This year is supposed to be our 40th annual (if the lake is opened back up by June).  Right now its only open for the day, till the lockdown is over.

My cousin lives in Ventura and is at Casitas all the time, its only like a 15 minute drive.  He keeps his boat docked there and fishes every weekend.  I don't go to Casitas as much, it's hard to fish that lake and have never had much luck there.  They do have a nice campground though.  I would rather drive the extra 40 minutes too Cachuma

Leo Carillo has the nicest beach camping around Malibu/Ventura area.  Its right across PCH in a little canyon at the foot of the Santa Monica mountains(but in walking distance to the beach) so its not like beach/in the sand camping.  Always had fun times camping there. Tasty waves, caves to go exploring in, hiking and tidepools.  Its so hard to get a camping spot there, you have to plan like 6 months in advance and then they are all reserved within like 15 minutes. Thats why I havent been there in like 10 years.

Cachuma is my go-to as well. Get's pretty breezy in the afternoons but, if you come prepared, it's a great little escap. I never stay at Casitas because it feels too close to home and I'm not big on the general area surrounding... may be a stigma of growing up around here.

+1 on Leo Carillo but you gotta be crazy proactive on getting a spot there. I live 10 minutes away from there. I haven't camped there for years though because of how far in advance you have to book.

Slightly north of Carillo there's Sycamore Canyon. Typically has open spots, wonderful hiking trails throughout and has beach access. Only issue is, being a canyon, it can get breezy. Also, if it's high-tide, you have to run across the PCH to get to the beach.

Jagr

• Rep: 116
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2020, 02:26:00 PM »
Was hoping to go camping in Zion in May during a cross country trip but that’s obviously not happening. Got a bunch of camping stuff recently which I haven’t gotten to use yet. Hoping there are still places I can camp safely however in the coming weeks.

What gear did you get?

I've used the same simple setup forever and have always been happy with it. But I've just recently gotten kind of into checking out new gear and now want a new tent, sleeping bag, stove, etc for whenever camping is back on.

I like to go camping for a week or two at a time, so I've also been somewhat interested in a simple portable power and solar panel setup like the stuff from Goal Zero.

jack burton

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2020, 03:23:52 PM »
Like I said I was planning a cross country trip this may since I'm moving from coast to coast. Figured the best/ cheapest way to do this would be to camp along the way. Over the past year been checking rei for sales and been able to procure some decent stuff for relatively cheap.

Scored Rei's quarter dome 2 sl tent, got an rei blow up sleeping pad at a garage sale, and found a Kelty cosmic 20 degree sleeping bag on sale on backcountrys website. Also the company outdoor vitals was doing a give away, all you had to do was pay shipping and they'd send you a blow up camping pillow. Picked up a few other odds and ends that I don't recall off hand.

Still have to move but was able to push it back till the end of may in the hopes that it would be a bit safer due to the virus. Also bought a jetboil and some meals so I can cut down on my interaction with people on the trip. Not sure about where would be open along the way, so if any of you have any recommendations on places to camp that would be helpful.

fakie nollie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2020, 03:27:41 PM »
Like I said I was planning a cross country trip this may since I'm moving from coast to coast. Figured the best/ cheapest way to do this would be to camp along the way. Over the past year been checking rei for sales and been able to procure some decent stuff for relatively cheap.

Scored Rei's quarter dome 2 sl tent, got an rei blow up sleeping pad at a garage sale, and found a Kelty cosmic 20 degree sleeping bag on sale on backcountrys website. Also the company outdoor vitals was doing a give away, all you had to do was pay shipping and they'd send you a blow up camping pillow. Picked up a few other odds and ends that I don't recall off hand.

Still have to move but was able to push it back till the end of may in the hopes that it would be a bit safer due to the virus. Also bought a jetboil and some meals so I can cut down on my interaction with people on the trip. Not sure about where would be open along the way, so if any of you have any recommendations on places to camp that would be helpful.

From west to east? Or east to west? I have recommendations along the SW.

Sounds like you came up on a lot of good deals for quality gear.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 03:43:31 PM by fakie nollie »

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 330
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2020, 03:44:38 PM »
Never camped before, what are your recommendations to get started? (post Covid of course)

jack burton

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2020, 04:00:13 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

From west to east? Or east to west? I have recommendations along the SW.

Sounds like you came up on a lot of good deals for quality gear.

My girlfriend and I will be going from Jersey out to Seattle. She's done the trip along the most northern states and I always wanted to go to Utah so were gonna kinda go straight through the middle of the country.

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1064
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2020, 04:29:55 PM »
Never camped before, what are your recommendations to get started? (post Covid of course)

Buy a tent that can be set up quickly. I had a great tent that was roomy but took 5-10 min for two people to set up. In that time depending where in the country you are you could get eaten alive by mosquitoes.

Get a one person like this: https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/catalogsearch/result/?q=Bivy

And an inflatable pad to get you off the ground or you’ll wind up soaked in the morning from condensation. To me, a tent is just for sleeping. Let your homies set up large tents and visit to play cards or whatever.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 04:35:33 PM by GardenSkater77 »

fakie nollie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2020, 04:49:28 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Buy a tent that can be set up quickly. I had a great tent that was roomy but took 5-10 min for two people to set up. In that time depending where in the country you are you could get eaten alive by mosquitoes.

Get a one person like this: https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/catalogsearch/result/?q=Bivy

And an inflatable pad to get you off the ground or you’ll wind up soaked in the morning from condensation. To me, a tent is just for sleeping. Let your homies set up large tents and visit to play cards or whatever.

I felt the same way until I got rained-in one winter and was stuck in a small tent for 14 hours, from 6a-8pm.

Unless you're backpacking and need something ultra-light, get something comfortable enough to sit-up in. Depending on your budget, REI tents are excellent and super easy to setup. I recommend the Half Dome 2.

Blue Fescue

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2020, 05:14:48 PM »
don't buy a bivy unless you love claustrophobia and condensation.  buy a rei tent and an inflatable pad if you are car camping and find some nice state parks.  if you live near one and this all ends you can check the garage sales at rei or their used website. if you are getting into backpacking it is a whole different thing but not really that complicated.  shoutout r/ultralight

jack burton

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2020, 05:35:24 PM »
Theres also a ton of gear review videos on youtube if you're bored and willing to go down that rabbit hole. Seems like you can get relatively inexpensive ok camping gear on amazon if youre cool with supporting them right now.

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2020, 09:23:45 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I certainly have! Many times. When I surfed more often, I'd camp there in the winters. Lately, I'm only driving there for a burger and a walk down the beach. Again, fuck camping in the sand.

They serve burgers?

How is the sky there at night? As dark and beautiful as they say it is? I heard it's one of the darkest skies on the shore in SoCal. I wanted to go there for the meteor shower a week or so ago but k ew it was closed so....

You ever been freestyle camping? Not at a campsite but just out in the woods?

fakie nollie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2020, 10:26:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

They serve burgers?

How is the sky there at night? As dark and beautiful as they say it is? I heard it's one of the darkest skies on the shore in SoCal. I wanted to go there for the meteor shower a week or so ago but k ew it was closed so....

You ever been freestyle camping? Not at a campsite but just out in the woods?

Yep - the infamous Jalama Burger is located on the north side of the parking lot:
http://jalamabeach.com/restaurant.html
The food, in combination with the scenery, makes the windy drive worth it.

Light pollution is super minimal around the area, with the closest "city" being Lompoc. However, being on the coast in such an exposed area, it's hard to catch an evening without overcast conditions. See the map below:

Red flags I have about Jalama:
- From what I remember, it's first come first serve and no reservations. I've driven 2 hours at 1am to get a spot on a Wednesday just to be told I can only park for the day. If this happens, a good backup to sleep at is Gaviota (Look at map, most east point).
-There's 0 cell service. Some like it, some don't. I love it
-Walking south of the camping area, the tide can put you in some sketchy situations. Read tide maps before wandering around
-It's very exposed (Channel Islands do not protect it from wind/weather), so it can get pretty windy. This+camping on the sand= you will have sand in places you didn't imagine possible and will sleep with a shirt over your face. There are cabins available to rent but I'm sure they're both expensive and booked super far in advance
-Being that exposed to the open Pacific, the ocean wildlife is pretty gnarly. Most shark-attacks (great white) happen in that area more often than others in Southern California
-The water is pretty cold throughout the year. Be ready with a 4/3 suit and possibly a hood if you are going to surf there.

All that said, it's a beautiful place. Whether you're going to camp or just for a day trip, check it out.

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2020, 06:01:35 PM »
Thanks, fakie nollie. I really want to go one of these days when it opens back up. I'm situated in L.A. so it's not hard for me to shoot up there. When I first got to LA, I used to take a lot of day trips out to Solvang/Chumash casino (with a stop by the Curch of Skatan of course) and I know Jalama isn't that far out of the way from those places.