Author Topic: Favorite Beer  (Read 249437 times)

dillanharp

Re: Favorite Beer
« Reply #900 on: March 10, 2013, 07:00:35 PM »
Right now it's http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/5318/33243

But the market ran out, so I got http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/4146/74599

and it's not so good...

dillanharp

« Reply #901 on: March 10, 2013, 07:03:02 PM »
i went to Firestone Walker Barrelworks yesterday, in Buelton (also went to Solvang skatepark which is sick)

it is a barrel aged beer wonderland.  

parabola

I guess we're taking the inlaws to solvang for easter(I have no idea why) thank you for giving me shit to do...

ROCKxADIO420

« Reply #902 on: March 10, 2013, 07:09:22 PM »

i get these for $2.29 at trader joes, they taste like beer and make me feel funny

dillanharp

« Reply #903 on: March 10, 2013, 07:11:59 PM »

i get these for $2.29 at trader joes, they taste like beer and make me feel funny

The annual trader joes beer is usually pretty good. for 60 cents more you could have gotten a 6 of simpler times. just sayin.

tangar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #904 on: March 10, 2013, 07:26:55 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The annual trader joes beer is usually pretty good. for 60 cents more you could have gotten a 6 of simpler times. just sayin.
these are 1.99 in SJ at trader joes, they are almost twice as strong (8.4) and taste twice as good as simpler times (i like simpler times too by the way).
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

max power

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #905 on: March 10, 2013, 07:40:54 PM »
the only trader joes beers worth a damn are the mission street ones. they are brewed by firestone walker.

pancake man

• Rep: 34
« Reply #906 on: March 11, 2013, 12:44:29 PM »
are these Trader Joe's beers nation wide or select groups like the Misson St batch only found in certain areas?

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #907 on: March 11, 2013, 01:13:34 PM »
i've heard the Trader Joe's Vintage Ales are supposed to be good too.  my girlfriend bought me a Boatswain shopping once.  it wasn't horrible but not so great. 

it's pretty funny to read some of the bitchy reviews on Beer Advocate

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/435/76402
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

ChronicBluntSlider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #908 on: March 11, 2013, 02:36:48 PM »
I got a Trader Joe's holiday ale this year at the same time as Stone 12.12.12. and they were really similar in style. Drinking them side by side the difference in quality was very apparent. The Trader Joe's one had so much less body and flavor. That being said, the Stone one was a really good beer and more expensive, so might be an unfair comparison. And it is cool you could get pilsner 6 packs for 6 bucks or whatever.

max power

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #909 on: March 11, 2013, 03:03:43 PM »
oh yeah, the vintage ales are made by unibroue. they are ok, belgian dark ales aren't my favorite style, though.

dillanharp

« Reply #910 on: March 11, 2013, 08:13:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
these are 1.99 in SJ at trader joes, they are almost twice as strong (8.4) and taste twice as good as simpler times (i like simpler times too by the way).

I'll have to check it out. I've had some bad "double" ipa's lately, mainly that karl strauss one, fucking horrible. I don't really even like simpler times haha, but sometimes on a hot summer day, it's quantity over quality.

floop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #911 on: March 13, 2013, 09:19:21 PM »
from ma home town

"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 687
« Reply #912 on: March 13, 2013, 09:25:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

I'll have to check it out. I've had some bad "double" ipa's lately, mainly that karl strauss one, fucking horrible. I don't really even like simpler times haha, but sometimes on a hot summer day, it's quantity over quality.

I thought simpler times is close to 6%. maybe depends on which one.
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #913 on: March 14, 2013, 02:23:02 AM »
yea for simpler times i think one is 4.something and the other is like 5.7 or something, but yea after having the boatswain and then having like the Sculpin you can definitely tell the difference in quality but hey 1.99 is 1.99 (mine is just sitting there in my fridge surrounded by superiorness at the moment). bought a couple locals at the Sprouts in san jose off prospect (using my employee discount hoody hooo) they got a better selection than my location (fremont) and they are right next to a bevmo so i doubt they sell out of the good stuff, i will definitely be using my discount at this place frequently.

had this last night, Hermitage from San Jose

it was pretty good. cupcake topper from my baby's first bday with the BGPs.

having this right now, i saw it in this thread so thought id give it a go. from San Leandro

its got more flavor than the Hermitage and is stronger at 9.75. the label says it has like 6 different kinds of hops in it i think.
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #914 on: March 14, 2013, 02:44:48 AM »
i've heard the Trader Joe's Vintage Ales are supposed to be good too.?  my girlfriend bought me a Boatswain shopping once.?  it wasn't horrible but not so great.? 

i never double post so forgive me fellas, but i read some of the reviews and i asked myself "why the fuck did i even drink that stuff?" then i remembered, its because i want to be a beer nerd, not a beer snob. thats why i never ventured too deep into beeradvocate, i can't relate with those dudes and their picky ass tastes. but i can relate with rad dirtbag opinionated skateboard dudes that drink beer cause its beer, not to spit it out and say stuff like:
If I was a homeless bum and this was $1, it might be an option versus MD 20/20 or Boone's Farm every now and then.
fuck that, id drink trader joes cheap beer over MD everyday of the week. sorry for the rant. this denoginizer is good.

friendly dave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 745
  • grinding to a halt
    • grindingtoahalt avatar image
« Reply #915 on: March 14, 2013, 09:13:33 AM »
My local bar got a keg of Pliny The Younger yesterday. So good.
Because you can't kill and idea, and we will not be ruled!

the visuals are also mad visual yo
FTW

floop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #916 on: March 14, 2013, 09:49:31 AM »
Expand Quote
i've heard the Trader Joe's Vintage Ales are supposed to be good too.?  my girlfriend bought me a Boatswain shopping once.?  it wasn't horrible but not so great.? 

[close]
i never double post so forgive me fellas, but i read some of the reviews and i asked myself "why the fuck did i even drink that stuff?" then i remembered, its because i want to be a beer nerd, not a beer snob. thats why i never ventured too deep into beeradvocate, i can't relate with those dudes and their picky ass tastes. but i can relate with rad dirtbag opinionated skateboard dudes that drink beer cause its beer, not to spit it out and say stuff like:
Expand Quote
If I was a homeless bum and this was $1, it might be an option versus MD 20/20 or Boone's Farm every now and then.
[close]
fuck that, id drink trader joes cheap beer over MD everyday of the week. sorry for the rant. this denoginizer is good.

yeah, a lot of people on there suffer from know-it-all syndrome.  i do find it a good place to read and learn about beer.  and, admittedly, use it as a gauge to see if i'll like a beer or not (usually my tastes match up with the ratings they have, though not always).. 

i don't consider myself a beer snob nor will i ever be.  i'm not going to judge people who like a certain type of beer.   i drink Bud and Coors and Corona still sometimes, when the time is right.   that said, i think my palette has definitely changed a lot in the last 5 years or so.  it's a fun hobby and the more you get into it the more you seek out different types of things

anyway, i agree.  there's no room for beer snobishness

some of those reviews are pretty hilarious though.  i like this summary "Boatswain does disappointment really well."

pancake man

• Rep: 34
« Reply #917 on: March 14, 2013, 10:56:45 AM »
hahaha so glad I'm not the only one that finds some of the reviewers on BA obnoxious. I do enjoy my friends reviews though, especially the ones he does drunk ie http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/106/44315/?ba=davey101

king_in_the_north

• Rep: 27
  • I'm not liquid john
« Reply #918 on: March 14, 2013, 01:56:54 PM »

I love my mom, she's bringing me two 4 packs of this from Cleveland during Easter. 
I think it's a new one, haven't tried it yet, GL does good IPAs so not worried.
Visiting my sister near Cleveland for spring break. Got to tour the brewery and enjoy a few of these, perfection!
also if you read my whole facebook timeline from back in 2007 then this will also prove that magic is real.

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #919 on: March 14, 2013, 02:02:35 PM »
yumyumyum

slothflip

• Rep: -9
« Reply #920 on: March 14, 2013, 08:49:36 PM »
i brew and consume a lot a beer. my 2nd favorite pastime after skating. looking forward to inspecting this thread and laughing at your choices. in the meantime, here is how i dial in

nino brown

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1416
  • only nerds kook people
« Reply #921 on: March 14, 2013, 09:11:27 PM »

one of my favs
im not big fan of shout/coffeish beerish , but this as close as i can get

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #922 on: March 14, 2013, 09:58:00 PM »
yea, i do need to lurk around on beeradvocate some so i can learn more about beers and expand my knowledge for sure.

dillanharp

« Reply #923 on: March 14, 2013, 10:12:31 PM »
Just went through my alloted 2 bottles of Pliny for Kelly's. Who's down to make a pilgrimage to santa rosa to the brewery? I'll have to get by with more of this in the meantime. I really like it.

Simon Woodstock

• Rep: -35
    • Nowhere avatar image
« Reply #924 on: March 14, 2013, 11:20:00 PM »
Miller Sharps [I saw Vince Neil order one once]

BRIX SKWIKZ

« Reply #925 on: March 14, 2013, 11:35:51 PM »
BOOZE IS A NASTY HABBIT
COME ON SIMON

Simon Woodstock

• Rep: -35
    • Nowhere avatar image
« Reply #926 on: March 14, 2013, 11:49:30 PM »
BOOZE IS A NASTY HABBIT
COME ON SIMON

Ha. Sharps is a N/A beer. I've been sober for 16 years.

BRIX SKWIKZ

« Reply #927 on: March 14, 2013, 11:59:41 PM »
 :)

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #928 on: March 16, 2013, 01:19:21 AM »
got this tonight, thought id try an organic beer and this was only 4.49 at my work. the first sip i thought tasted really clear and smooth, but now i feel like it might taste a little flat. still not bad tho.

nino brown

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1416
  • only nerds kook people
« Reply #929 on: March 16, 2013, 02:48:49 AM »
Expand Quote
BOOZE IS A NASTY HABBIT
COME ON SIMON
[close]

Ha. Sharps is a N/A beer. I've been sober for 16 years.
i brought a six pack of those when i was younger and had no clue it was n/a. i was wondering why i wasnt getting a buzz, turns a few months later i found out it was n/a I AM STILL PISSED ABOUT THAT.

anyway not to be a dick or anything i was wondering what do you get out of drinking beer that doesnt get u buzzed? do you just like the taste?