Author Topic: Favorite Beer  (Read 249341 times)

floop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
Re: Favorite Beer
« Reply #1470 on: August 30, 2013, 09:50:25 AM »
some nice ones in there. 

pancake, i go to the Bruery pretty regularly.  if you're ever wanting something specific let me know
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

The Nose Face

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 8
« Reply #1471 on: August 30, 2013, 11:47:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Damn Julz, that's a fucking haul. Where did you get the Bruery beer?
[close]

At Winooski's beverage house.

Ah, Winooski...brings back memories...The heady topper sells out EVERY time from what people tell me who still live around there...but I think they're good about it and sell half of it in the morning, and the other half to people who get out of work later on.

I had the Sour in the Rye recently - REALLY good.

The Asian beer with the owl - try the "red rice" one next time if you can find it, really good as well. Let us know how the espresso stout one if you got.

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 408
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1472 on: August 30, 2013, 03:12:57 PM »
Been lurking this thread a bit, but what's a bomber? Like 750ml/25oz? I don't like going too much into double figure ABV, tbh. So as to contribute right now having a 6-point Sweet Action, pretty good but not my ideal type, looking to try some of their IPA's etc. while out here.

Yeah.  Bombers are the single bottles.  They can be any size really I guess, but they're usually the bigger ones.

Nose Face--I had that Stone espresso stout and really liked it.  The espresso really comes out as the beer warms up.  The flavor really changes a lot through the entire bottle which was pretty cool.

EDIT: I had the one with vanilla bean now that I think of it.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 03:15:18 PM by oyolar »

floop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1473 on: August 30, 2013, 04:01:47 PM »
The wife and I are heading on a week long trip up the Coast of California and was wondering if anyone knows some good brewery stops along the way. We live in San Diego and will he heading up to SF as our highest stop. Cheers in advance!

RCB3, i meant to respond and guess i didn't.  which route are you taking?  that will factor in.  1, 101, 5?

also depends on if you go on a weekend or not.

I'd say checking out Firestone Walker in Paso Robles is a must, for starters
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

Julz

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -6
« Reply #1474 on: August 30, 2013, 06:19:58 PM »
Quote from: The Nose Face  link=topic=37201.msg1987032#msg1987032 date=1377888423
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Damn Julz, that's a fucking haul. Where did you get the Bruery beer?
[close]

At Winooski's beverage house.
[close]

Ah, Winooski...brings back memories...The heady topper sells out EVERY time from what people tell me who still live around there...but I think they're good about it and sell half of it in the morning, and the other half to people who get out of work later on.

I had the Sour in the Rye recently - REALLY good.

The Asian beer with the owl - try the "red rice" one next time if you can find it, really good as well. Let us know how the espresso stout one if you got.

I bought 4 x 4 packs of HT at the brewery so I didn't even bother checking if Winooski's had some left... I don't understand why the locals don't make the 30 minutes drive down there ?! I can't wait to taste all those bad boys !!! So far i've only drank the stone IPA's and some HT since I want to drink them as fresh as possible !

Btw is there any skateshop selling exclusive stuff in the area ? ( something similar to seasons in NY )

RCB3

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 429
« Reply #1475 on: August 30, 2013, 07:34:01 PM »
Expand Quote
The wife and I are heading on a week long trip up the Coast of California and was wondering if anyone knows some good brewery stops along the way. We live in San Diego and will he heading up to SF as our highest stop. Cheers in advance!
[close]

RCB3, i meant to respond and guess i didn't.  which route are you taking?  that will factor in.  1, 101, 5?

also depends on if you go on a weekend or not.

I'd say checking out Firestone Walker in Paso Robles is a must, for starters

Thanks floop, and we're going to be driving up the 1 the whole way basically. We will be in San Luis for 2 days, Santa Cruz for 2 days, camping in Big Sur, a day in SF, and also a day in Santa Barbara.

Irvine-Sucks.com

pancake man

• Rep: 34
« Reply #1476 on: August 31, 2013, 09:07:41 AM »
Floop, I may take you up on that offer. Just give me some time haha their berlinerweisse was awesome and I'm curious about the Tart of Darkness

Julz

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -6
« Reply #1477 on: August 31, 2013, 10:18:06 PM »
Floop, I may take you up on that offer. Just give me some time haha their berlinerweisse was awesome and I'm curious about the Tart of Darkness

Don't you live in VT ? If so, hurry up and buy while supplies last !!

pancake man

« Reply #1478 on: September 01, 2013, 07:40:01 AM »
Nah, I live in Massachusetts

floop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1479 on: September 02, 2013, 06:07:31 PM »
a friend of mine gave me a Stone growler as a gift.  i've never been a growler person.  kind of always thought they were pointless.  but i get it.  ultra-fresh beer to take home (fresher than any bottle you'll find in a store most likely).  i plan to make regular trips to the Stone Store in Pasadena (even though it kind of sucks) to fill up my growler and have a taste

sublimely self righteous

SEAN PABLO

• Rep: -78
« Reply #1480 on: September 02, 2013, 06:16:38 PM »
beer is killing you and making you fat

atswimtwobirds

• Rep: -109
« Reply #1481 on: September 02, 2013, 06:24:09 PM »
Lately I do High Life once in a while, maybe a case or two, but for the most part it's Schlitz all the fucking way. Schlitz is where it's at, and no, I am not kidding.

pancake man

« Reply #1482 on: September 02, 2013, 06:27:47 PM »
Nothing wrong with that man. I really don't get the whole "I drink craft beer therefore I'm better than you" schtick that some have going on. I for one love a goddamn PBR/ Naragansett/ Rolling Rock tall boy

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
« Reply #1483 on: September 02, 2013, 06:34:05 PM »
ha, i'm always up for a trade for something good.  i've been kind of on a trade hiatus lately.  went crazy and traded a bunch of shit on beeradvocate but the shipping prices were killing me

good luck with your brew.   i have still never brewed.  have not free time, but have nothing but respect for people who do it

different beer topic - does anyone else get burnt out on the bomber format?   not just price wise..   i'm at a point where i have all these amazing beers in the fridge but most of them are 10% or more.   i can handle a 10 percent bomber myself, but i'm slightly less likely on weekdays to break something out that's approaching 15 percent, to have for myself.  i wish more breweries offered smaller bottle formats.  i get why they do it (mostly to make more money) but it would be nice.  Great Divide Yeti is now available in 12oz 4 packs.  wish more imperial stouts would follow suit. 

maybe i just need to take the tampon out? 

You can get a capper that people use to bottle home brew or one of those plugs people use to keep opened wine fresh.  Should work for at least a few days.

Jim and Dan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 502
  • Twenty-six Conversions in A.D. 46
« Reply #1484 on: September 02, 2013, 07:20:46 PM »
Roll for Rusty, Frip, Dapple and Tate

"My boiz better take my body, and boardslide me down the fucking bridge, in San Francisco"

TheKraken

• Rep: -19
« Reply #1485 on: September 02, 2013, 07:22:46 PM »

THAT IS NOT REAL CZECH BEER, SAME IWTH URQUELL PILSNER. THEY CHANGE THE RECIPE FOR NORTH AMERICA

Jim and Dan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 502
  • Twenty-six Conversions in A.D. 46
« Reply #1486 on: September 02, 2013, 07:46:05 PM »
Tough titties mate, I don't have the means to be going to the Czech Republic every time I want a beer. Don't have an anal fissure over my liking of a reformulated beverage though, I was under no grand illusions that it was authentic "Czech" beer.
Roll for Rusty, Frip, Dapple and Tate

"My boiz better take my body, and boardslide me down the fucking bridge, in San Francisco"

atswimtwobirds

• Rep: -109
« Reply #1487 on: September 02, 2013, 10:16:54 PM »
Nothing wrong with that man. I really don't get the whole "I drink craft beer therefore I'm better than you" schtick that some have going on. I for one love a goddamn PBR/ Naragansett/ Rolling Rock tall boy

Ditto

realitycontrol

• Rep: 237
  • "only when i breathe"
« Reply #1488 on: September 03, 2013, 12:23:19 AM »
beer is killing you and making you fat

my life in eight words
"Judging by the state of the economy and world at large, looks like we get to be the fucked generation." - Mouth

pancake man

« Reply #1489 on: September 03, 2013, 01:32:09 PM »
Expand Quote
ha, i'm always up for a trade for something good.  i've been kind of on a trade hiatus lately.  went crazy and traded a bunch of shit on beeradvocate but the shipping prices were killing me

good luck with your brew.   i have still never brewed.  have not free time, but have nothing but respect for people who do it

different beer topic - does anyone else get burnt out on the bomber format?   not just price wise..   i'm at a point where i have all these amazing beers in the fridge but most of them are 10% or more.   i can handle a 10 percent bomber myself, but i'm slightly less likely on weekdays to break something out that's approaching 15 percent, to have for myself.  i wish more breweries offered smaller bottle formats.  i get why they do it (mostly to make more money) but it would be nice.  Great Divide Yeti is now available in 12oz 4 packs.  wish more imperial stouts would follow suit. 

maybe i just need to take the tampon out? 
[close]

You can get a capper that people use to bottle home brew or one of those plugs people use to keep opened wine fresh.  Should work for at least a few days.

That capper idea won't really work. The beer will still go flat due to the oxygen that has gotten inside the beer bottle. What I really want is this: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1691296505/the-growler-savertm-the-last-pour-is-as-good-as-th

dillanharp

« Reply #1490 on: September 11, 2013, 09:53:23 PM »

Pulled it out of the 4 pack with the label like that. Regardless of shitty label, this is really good.

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #1491 on: September 15, 2013, 10:42:31 PM »
thanks for finally letting me try that the other day Nallid, that shit was maaaad good. its similar to wookey jack but a little sweeter for anyone who wants to try it.

went to original gravity house last week and tried some good shit, Ommegangs Hennipin which is a farmhouse ale and was delicious, my lady got the Rare Vos from the same brewery which was an amber and had a very similar taste to the Hennepin but not as big an after taste. second round I got Dorado Double IPA from Ballast Point, it was good but not as smooth as sculpin and my lady got the evil twin Amber ale, I think it was Heritic and was a lot darker than the Rare Vos. Had a Pliny two nights ago and traded my buddy a Wookey Jack for his other bottle. Most likely will drink it Tuesday with Nallid.
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 408
« Reply #1492 on: September 16, 2013, 04:47:57 PM »
I had Goose Island's Night Stalker (I think?) a few weeks ago and that was awesome.  It was almost a mix between a stout and a porter.   I've been trying some of Sam Adams's "rate blend" series where they try to replicate old/rare beer recipes.  Even though I'm not a huge Sam Adams fan, it's cool to try something a little different and they're usually pretty good too.  The most recent one was their Grifin's Bow oaked blonde barleywine ale.  It had the kick of a barleywine but didn't stay with you or was hard to drink.  Strong too obviously so it could turn really bad since it feels like you can drink a few of them.  I had the Norse Legend Sahti ale with juniper a few months back and it wasn't my favorite, but definitely a unique beer.

I bought my dad some Great Lakes Oktoberfest since Bells discontinued their version and he really liked it.  I heard that they were really similar except Great Lakes was better.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1203
« Reply #1493 on: September 17, 2013, 06:02:53 AM »

Pulled it out of the 4 pack with the label like that. Regardless of shitty label, this is really good.

the Baba black lager is good stuff.  had it for the first time in Salt Lake City, but recently found it here in cans
hardly art, hardly starving

Joust Ostrich

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 701
  • Speculatnaciousness?
« Reply #1494 on: September 17, 2013, 10:52:09 AM »
Things to not spend you're money on:

This was just sort of bland, and if you think about the source too much, a little gross.  Yeast from the brewers beard.

Need to find that fresh squeezed IPA from deschutes. 
I'm posting from my blackberry wtf?!?!?

floop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1495 on: September 17, 2013, 10:54:19 AM »
yeah, the beard beer is a little unappetizing to me.  kind of like the bull testicle beer

ROCKxADIO420

« Reply #1496 on: September 17, 2013, 11:08:58 AM »
holy shit beard beer is the most hipstery thing ive ever heard of

pancake man

« Reply #1497 on: September 17, 2013, 06:25:07 PM »
better than vaginal yeast

floop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1498 on: September 19, 2013, 10:11:25 PM »
just had a 2003 Stone Russian Imperial Stout.   definitely the most aged beer i've ever had in my life.  pretty amazed at how well that beer can hold up

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #1499 on: September 20, 2013, 01:31:38 AM »
^ that's awesome floop! sippin on some more Sculpin from the Grocery Outlet, as long as they have it, I will buy it.
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH