Author Topic: Post Your Cruiser  (Read 368941 times)

Roisto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
Re: Post Your Cruiser
« Reply #1830 on: March 16, 2022, 09:38:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Been thinking about getting a 70s shape for a long while and finally went for it (totally not influenced by the Lurpiv videos of them skating a Z-Flex deck).

Alva 1977 Twilight Re-issue 7.75" x 29.5" with 16.25" wb (website and other places list it at 16" but they measure it from the outisde edge of the bolt hole instead of measuring it from the center).

OJ Super Juice 60mm 78a

Bronson G3

Indy 109 with aftermarket Indy conical 90a bushings

Mini Logo 1/4" risers

1-1/4" hardware

Super fun board so far. Wheelbase makes it stable but the trucks make it super carvy at the same time. Despite it being 7.75" x 29.5" the board actually feels bigger, but I think this is because of the long wheelbase. Hoping I can take it on transition soon.

I'm not looking to make it period correct, but I do want to put a couple of stickers on it that would make sense for the brand/shape (probably Indy + Dogtown?)
[close]

That’s really cool. I’ve been wanting a narrow cruiser to go with Ace 00s. Not sure if this would work. Alva seems to sell it with Ace 22s for some reason. Sims Taperkick could be cool too but those don’t seem to be available right now. Got any suggestions for old school reissues like these that would fit the bill?
[close]

I was considering the G&S KT4 Square Kicktail and the Z-Flex 29" cruiser before this, so maybe those might interest you.

Thanks. That G&S is looking pretty damn good to me. Unfortunately these seem to be very difficult to find in Europe.

Huell Howser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
« Reply #1831 on: March 16, 2022, 09:52:41 AM »
damn that alva setup is so sick. I have been thinking of getting a 70s style cruiser like that. definitley on the list of random bullshit I want to buy but shouldn't spend money on lol

thanksgiving

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #1832 on: March 18, 2022, 09:26:52 AM »
anyone have experience on acs trucks for a polarizer type thing? cheap pair on fb marketplace near me...

bombsaway86

• Rep: 152
« Reply #1833 on: March 23, 2022, 12:34:49 AM »

Threw some of these on the cruiser to replace my beat up old 60mm 78a slimeballs. I gave these a shot because I like the graphic and they’re from the PNW. They’re pretty bad… really slow and plasticy feeling like something that comes on a board from a toy store. I spent a few hours bombing hills hoping they would get better as they break in, but no luck. I also couldn’t find a solid answer on the durometer. I’ve seen them listed as 78a, 80a, and 99a on different sites, and their own site just says “softies”. If I had to guess I’d say they’re somewhere in the mid 80s. I know people have asked about Road Crew in the wheels thread and there’s never been a consensus. I can’t speak for the other wheels they make, but I’d avoid these ones.

Coldpizza

• Rep: 146
« Reply #1834 on: March 23, 2022, 02:35:26 PM »

Threw some of these on the cruiser to replace my beat up old 60mm 78a slimeballs. I gave these a shot because I like the graphic and they’re from the PNW. They’re pretty bad… really slow and plasticy feeling like something that comes on a board from a toy store. I spent a few hours bombing hills hoping they would get better as they break in, but no luck. I also couldn’t find a solid answer on the durometer. I’ve seen them listed as 78a, 80a, and 99a on different sites, and their own site just says “softies”. If I had to guess I’d say they’re somewhere in the mid 80s. I know people have asked about Road Crew in the wheels thread and there’s never been a consensus. I can’t speak for the other wheels they make, but I’d avoid these ones.

Good to know. I’m in PDX & I was looking at these recently because I actually don’t like the ACID cruiser wheels I’ve got right now (too grippy) Probably just grab some key frames or something…
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

thanksgiving

• Rep: 214
« Reply #1835 on: March 24, 2022, 11:57:25 AM »
adding to the recent alva discussion
had the first nice evening a long time yesterday. just been constant wet. this thing is so much fun. 12.75 wb turns on a dime.
alva bela reissue 8.5
109 indy
mini super juice 55
quantum bearings

flat concave fucks

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 502
« Reply #1836 on: March 24, 2022, 01:32:45 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Good to know. I’m in PDX & I was looking at these recently because I actually don’t like the ACID cruiser wheels I’ve got right now (too grippy) Probably just grab some key frames or something…

rough riders are also pretty good for pdx pavement, but keyframes will also do just fine

vicious cycle

• Rep: 160
« Reply #1837 on: April 26, 2022, 08:18:30 AM »

Gonna be more of a cruiser but it will see some curbs and transition too.
Into the Wild 9.735
Venture 6.1 Standards
56mm Keyframes
Some older Bones Swiss
Random Hardware
Jessup Ultra
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 750
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1838 on: May 05, 2022, 11:00:47 AM »
Built a filmer board, but I'm sure that I'll throw on hard wheels and make it my main sometime down the line.

Anti-Hero Eagle 8.5" x 31.8" with 14.25" wheelbase
Venture 5.8 Hi with Loose Trucks Conversion Kit bushings
Powell Peralta G-Slides 56mm 85a (going to swap these out for Bones ATFs when I can)
Bones Swiss
Jessup
Indy 1" hardware
REAL Venture wooden 1/8" risers
« Last Edit: May 05, 2022, 11:18:49 AM by yourbreakfsat »

finknoos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -170
  • Typos here there and everywhere
« Reply #1839 on: May 12, 2022, 02:14:27 AM »
Not sure if i've posted this here before but here goes my throw together of old parts with silly wheels.

Magenta 8 inch deck of some kind
Thunder 147 raw
Bones hardcore bushings - soft blue
Bronson Bearings
Enjoi astro panda wheels - 62mm 83a
Generic risers

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1840 on: May 12, 2022, 07:23:02 PM »

It has been pretty rainy here so I have been messing round with more stuff I have and made this board up for a bit of fun, which works well from the quick roll I did have on it.

Polar Surf shape 8.75
Indy 129s
Powell Mini Cubic wheels
Quarter inch risers

Big enough to hold a normal foot position but small enough to be nimble in a good way.

I was initially going to put 149s with normal wheels, but the shape didn't work. Then tried 139s on this board but they stuck out a lot more than I would have liked so dug out an old set of 129s (7.5" wide) trucks to go on this board with the super wide Mini Cubic wheels, which add almost half an inch on each side.

The deck is no where near 8.75 for the most part, especially towards the tail, so I was wondering what to try on this board before coming to this conclusion.

It has wheel wells so didn't need quite as much height either, which is always nice.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CdYNHp9p6eQ/

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Ronnie Rodriguez

« Reply #1841 on: May 13, 2022, 07:17:22 AM »

It has been pretty rainy here so I have been messing round with more stuff I have and made this board up for a bit of fun, which works well from the quick roll I did have on it.

Polar Surf shape 8.75
Indy 129s
Powell Mini Cubic wheels
Quarter inch risers

Big enough to hold a normal foot position but small enough to be nimble in a good way.

I was initially going to put 149s with normal wheels, but the shape didn't work. Then tried 139s on this board but they stuck out a lot more than I would have liked so dug out an old set of 129s (7.5" wide) trucks to go on this board with the super wide Mini Cubic wheels, which add almost half an inch on each side.

The deck is no where near 8.75 for the most part, especially towards the tail, so I was wondering what to try on this board before coming to this conclusion.

It has wheel wells so didn't need quite as much height either, which is always nice.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CdYNHp9p6eQ/

Super sick. I had a similar setup with 139s and 60mm Super Juice and it was so much fun, the wide wheels with narrow trucks made me feel like I was locked into a track on 50-50s.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #1842 on: May 13, 2022, 08:07:43 AM »
Looks great @Mbrimson88 Makes me want to red-drill my Surf shape for my Stage 2 131s. Might just do it.

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #1843 on: May 13, 2022, 04:59:04 PM »
I had these Hot Juices on a similar setup with the Beach Bum and 169s, but I started dabbling with regular-size wheels on the Bum and put the cruiser wheels on the Bummer with 215s. This rig is unbelievably fun. I don’t know what it is about these wheels, but they have a noticeably smoother roll than the Super Juices and Thunder Juices I’ve ridden.

Ol Nick

• Rep: 101
« Reply #1844 on: May 13, 2022, 06:02:56 PM »
I had these Hot Juices on a similar setup with the Beach Bum and 169s, but I started dabbling with regular-size wheels on the Bum and put the cruiser wheels on the Bummer with 215s. This rig is unbelievably fun. I don’t know what it is about these wheels, but they have a noticeably smoother roll than the Super Juices and Thunder Juices I’ve ridden.

That looks so rad. Gonna need to go look up bummer dimensions, are those wheels poking out a bunch?
I only skate prime numbers, so it's either 53s or 59s, feast or famine

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #1845 on: May 13, 2022, 10:11:09 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That looks so rad. Gonna need to go look up bummer dimensions, are those wheels poking out a bunch?

They barely poke out up front, 1/8 in. maybe. The back hot rods quite a bit, more like a half inch. I’m used to it and it’s not really bothersome. The 60mm wheels and 215s are pretty forgiving if I accidentally kick ’em, but I’m sure I’ll probably take a stupid slam the second I get too comfortable lol.

I think you could run Super Juices inside out to great effect on this setup, or go down to 169s/77s. The turn on the 215s is just beautiful, though. I’m trying to make them work at all costs, to be honest.

(Antihero lists the Beach Bummer dims as 10 x 31.5 w/ a 14.6 wheelbase, btw.)

« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 08:47:41 AM by intendedreceivers »

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1846 on: May 16, 2022, 02:30:40 AM »
Looks great @Mbrimson88 Makes me want to red-drill my Surf shape for my Stage 2 131s. Might just do it.

Keen to see it if you do set it up.

I have a few sets of Powell Mini Cubic wheels, so it certainly works with all the old smaller trucks I have sitting around.

There is a set of Ace 22s that someone traded in I have been thinking about for a while, along with some others.

Never had the smallest Indy or any other brand trucks though, which I know people use, much like Penny trucks, but those things just feel too small for my "fun boards" anyway.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 470
« Reply #1847 on: May 19, 2022, 05:11:16 PM »
Been about 6 months since I've had a cruiser. Had all the parts but didn't wanna put new trucks while I was waiting for my friend to give me my trucks back. He borrowed them for a couple weeks and that turned into months haha!

Anyways, here's Wonderwall:
- Craigtap 8.5" 'Burly'
- Primitive Grip (didn't have Mob on hand when setting it up)
- Indy AVE Standards (white bushings)
- OJ Plain Jane Keyframes I think
- Bones Bearings

Super Champion Fun Zone

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1848 on: May 21, 2022, 11:03:18 AM »
Would the Heroin Curb Crusher XL be a good fit with Ace 55 Classics & 60 mm OJ Super Juices? The Super Juices with the 55 Classics sit at pretty much exactly 9.375" wide.

I fucked up my back a while ago and it's taking somewhat long to heal so I figured I'd focus on getting excited about cruising and set up a new cruiser instead of trying to go fuck up my back even worse jumping around with a normal set up.

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #1849 on: May 21, 2022, 04:58:44 PM »

Just cut down a Pennswood 8.35 deep concave deck to around 6.75 wide and 28 ish long.

Ace 11 trucks with NFG bushings
Ricta cloud 78 duro, 54mm

It’s interesting how comfortable this feels, since I was just riding it when it was a full popsicle and I kept the same tail length and wheelbase. The Ace turn great, going to experiment with some Indy 109’s next week

MysticalTypeExperience

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #1850 on: June 02, 2022, 08:31:20 PM »
Crailtap - G041 Phawt 9.125x32.625x14.75" N: 6.9375" T: 6.7375" (8.75" at trucks) (Dailan Huahong) + Jessup Ultra

Independent Stage 11 Standard 159 8.75" H: 55mm W: 364g + stock 88a bushings + 2x Independent ⅛" riser pads

Powell Peralta Rat-Bones 90a 60mm Width: 44mm

Bones Reds + Fireball 10.2mm spacers

Frank and Fred

« Reply #1851 on: June 02, 2022, 08:35:49 PM »
Sick one.

Ronnie Rodriguez

« Reply #1852 on: June 03, 2022, 06:17:06 AM »
Super sick. TBH, I would run that as my daily driver.

MysticalTypeExperience

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #1853 on: June 03, 2022, 07:21:49 AM »

You a tranny skater? I need something way lighter to run for street skating.

Stoked to fuck around with this thing for warm ups and playground runs with my daughters though.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
« Reply #1854 on: June 03, 2022, 07:27:12 AM »
Crailtap - G041 Phawt 9.125x32.625x14.75" N: 6.9375" T: 6.7375" (8.75" at trucks) (Dailan Huahong) + Jessup Ultra

Independent Stage 11 Standard 159 8.75" H: 55mm W: 364g + stock 88a bushings + 2x Independent ⅛" riser pads

Powell Peralta Rat-Bones 90a 60mm Width: 44mm

Bones Reds + Fireball 10.2mm spacers

nice setup..the rat bones flush or hot rod a bit?

Ronnie Rodriguez

« Reply #1855 on: June 03, 2022, 07:49:28 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Stoked to fuck around with this thing for warm ups and playground runs with my daughters though.

Some mellow transition, but mostly curbs and point A to B stuff. My personal feeling is that pop feel is more important than weight, but I'm also pretty big.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #1856 on: June 03, 2022, 07:29:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Some mellow transition, but mostly curbs and point A to B stuff. My personal feeling is that pop feel is more important than weight, but I'm also pretty big.

That setup looks more A to B, than transition, imo. Looks like a lot of fun.
I also agree that weight doesn’t have to hinder pop. Quite often I get more pop on heavier setups.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1857 on: June 07, 2022, 06:21:33 AM »
Antihero Blue Meanie 8.75”
Indy Forged Hollows 149 w/ Blue conical bushings, 1/8” risers
NFG MFG 95a Vee Crusts 58mm
Quantum atom bearings
Pig rails

After sitting on one of these Blue Meanie decks for a while as it just didn't feel right on 159s and normal wheels, I saw this and tried it as a cruiser on 149s and it works so much better.

Funny how that happens, when I was looking back over some threads, but I guess the fact that it is barely 8.5 over bolts at the back and just over at the front is much better than thinking total board width is 8.75 so 159s are the go, the way I usually would on a popsicle.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #1858 on: June 07, 2022, 10:12:33 AM »
Anyone see the new Grimple Mini Beach Bum? Thinking of getting this and putting it on Lurpivs, 57 Radial Fulls, and just rolling over everything but will it be too small for that kinda vibe?

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1082
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #1859 on: June 07, 2022, 10:49:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Antihero Blue Meanie 8.75”
Indy Forged Hollows 149 w/ Blue conical bushings, 1/8” risers
NFG MFG 95a Vee Crusts 58mm
Quantum atom bearings
Pig rails

[close]

After sitting on one of these Blue Meanie decks for a while as it just didn't feel right on 159s and normal wheels, I saw this and tried it as a cruiser on 149s and it works so much better.

Funny how that happens, when I was looking back over some threads, but I guess the fact that it is barely 8.5 over bolts at the back and just over at the front is much better than thinking total board width is 8.75 so 159s are the go, the way I usually would on a popsicle.

Yeah, I was actively skating this board for a bit on the 149s and it was pretty manageable, especially with the big NFG wheels. I've pretty much retired it as a liquor store cruiser now so I swapped some Ace AF1 66s on it and it would be way too hard to try and skate I think.