Author Topic: Jobs  (Read 144094 times)

straight

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 993
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Jobs
« Reply #660 on: November 08, 2018, 08:14:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I just got an offer today for a mechanical engineering position and I am beyond stoked.
[close]

That's what I've been doing for 4 years now and it's quite cool.
I have a lot of free time to skate, lot of days off, and a decent salary.
[close]

First off congrats to both you guys... just out of curiosity did you go to Grad School or do you just have a BA?  I'm in dire need of a career change and have been looking into engineering.
[close]

I'm french, so I started by doing a two-years technical degree (specialized in mechanical engineering)
After that I did a 3 years apprenticeship, half week in a company, and half week in an engineering school.

I know that you can also start the apprenticeship if you had a previous job and want to have the engineer grade.
[close]

I just got my BS. Took me quite awhile because I didn’t really finish high school the real way so I had to take a ton of community college classes to make up for that. For the most part, grad school isn’t  super necessary to find a job in engineering.
[close]

Oh nice this is actually somewhat helpful (and positive) news.  I already have a BA in fine arts, which is about as useful as telling potential jobs that I have a great rep on Slap.  However all my electives are taken care of so I could probably earn my degree in 2 years. 

Thanks for answering guys
[close]
Would love to jump in on this as I'm a mechanical engineer.
What are you guys doing with your degrees? Engineering jobs are so broad I always wonder what people are doing after college.

one of my friends who was way smarter than everyone else got his degree in mech eng .. i ask him what he does every time i see him cuz i still don’t get it : but he basically goes around and does  testing at different types of “plants” and takes environmental readings

he says it’s super sketchy and a dirty job .. but i think he makes good mula and has hours like a fireman
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

ballintoohard

« Reply #661 on: November 08, 2018, 01:11:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Gism post got me thinking, LinkedIn is bullshit, right? They brag about having 500+ mil profiles but I don't really see a point, besides applying for positions. People rave about how you can get head hunted, any truth to this? Most people, as far as I have seen, get jobs with real connections...
[close]
yeah, people add you all the time but does it really lead to anything? I guess as neck protector mentioned, if they have some insider info that your company is going to shit (like mine currently is) then maybe it *could* happen. But just by me trying to clean up this complete mess that management created, some of the people I've been Skypeing etc. are already like, "we'd be happy to take you on with us if you like" so yeah, real world connections are always going to trump algorithms and recruiters literally trawling through to linked in to try and get any bites they can.

I've gotten 2 jobs for large tech companies through LinkedIn and that is where my current company does most of it's recruiting. I generally get 2-3 recruiting emails a week and, in total, ~10 offers on there.  For every 1 legit one tho I get 15 spam recruiting emails.

As for the day job- I'm a Data Scientist that manages a software platform within a tech company. Don't wanna keep doing it forever tho
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 01:13:12 PM by ballintoohard »

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 118
« Reply #662 on: November 09, 2018, 08:13:05 AM »
Expand Quote
I work two part time jobs. I'm an office assistant in the credit department of a lumber company where I basically lurk slap and scan paperwork all day, and a barista at a drive thru coffee shop some mornings. I'm about to graduate from college with an arbitrary bachelors degree that I probably wont really use. Don't really know what my next move is. If I can't find a good full time office job I might try to learn a trade or something, carpentry seems cool.
[close]

Get the trade. That's one thing I regret not doing after completing an 'arbitrary degree.' I didn't pay for my education so I don't regret it but in hindsight having a trade as a back up is very good idea. After hours plumber...

My job might be coming to an end soon. I've got about 17 years in social services, the last three in management... if it ends... I think I could be done... but trying to come up with a contingency plan at 43 is terrifying...

Been thinking about this more and more lately, as my graduation approaches. Would it be stupid of me to go on and look for an apprenticeship program in the trades after investing all the time and money I did into a four year degree? Am I too old (25) to just now be starting a career in the trades? I'm thinking ahead here, how long would my body realistically hold up to possibly back breaking work ya know? To those of you who went for a four year degree, how was your experience finding a decent paying entry level job after graduation? For those of you who work trades, how did you get your start, and do you enjoy it? Sorry for unloading my quarter life crisis BS on yall, I'm just feeling a little lost and wanna hear from people with more life experience.

LegitDude

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 6
« Reply #663 on: November 09, 2018, 08:21:11 AM »
What do you do for work? I sit in an office, by myself for 12 hours a day doing whatever. Lots of time to lurk.

How many days a week?

I work in a sort of tech support call center but browse slap and ebay all day in between calls

foureyedjim

« Reply #664 on: November 13, 2018, 11:23:47 AM »
Anyone here work in healthcare (hospital, outpatient, nursing facility, etc.) ?

So far I'm just looking up stuff on Craigslist and Indeed and found some possible openings. 
Any other suggestions would be appreciated!

SpankerChief

• Rep: 2
  • Rob_Skate_Lurker_
« Reply #665 on: November 15, 2018, 01:59:08 PM »
framing houses, roofing, and general carpentry
[ url ]http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/2011/09/mind_blown.gif[ / url ]

Peter Zagreus

• Rep: 85
« Reply #666 on: November 15, 2018, 02:29:01 PM »
I have a master's degree in philosophy and I put price tags on books in a basement for a living while I waffle on whether or not I should pursue a PhD. I'm applying to a couple of programs now, but we'll see. Academia might not be for me, but then again, neither is working entry level retail jobs... The sheer challenge of getting a doctorate might be worth it while it lasts.

Mouth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -297
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #667 on: November 16, 2018, 07:32:29 AM »
It’s my understanding that philosophy expertise is highly sought after when combined with an understanding of emerging technologies. Apparently, you guys are helping develop guiding principles and guardrails for A.I. and so on.

I’d skew my PhD in that direction. You’ll have your own bookstore in no time.
'No Mouth, you have a negative rep because you are a fan of growing your wealth off of the backs of low paid workers and brag about having bodyguards. You literally kook people for doing charity in South East Asia. Don't deny it.'

Peter Zagreus

• Rep: 85
« Reply #668 on: November 16, 2018, 09:38:45 AM »
It’s my understanding that philosophy expertise is highly sought after when combined with an understanding of emerging technologies. Apparently, you guys are helping develop guiding principles and guardrails for A.I. and so on.

I’d skew my PhD in that direction. You’ll have your own bookstore in no time.

Lol, thanks man.
To be fair, my preferred program focuses on philosophy of technology, though I'm not very interested in A.I. per se.
I've been applying for corporate jobs under the influence of the "modern companies are looking for the 'soft skills' developed in humanities programs" myth, but no interviews just yet. Still crossing my delicate, page-turning fingers.

drunk guy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 95
« Reply #669 on: November 19, 2018, 07:25:27 PM »
I’m a prop stylist assistant (freelance) on photoshoots in New York. I used to build sets but I can work a little less (a lot less if I have a slow month) and make about the same amount of money. It’s weird because I can do well where I live (nyc) but if I went anywhere else it just wouldn’t translate. I also do social media for a skateboard company in exchange for boards.

Johncan

• Rep: -3
« Reply #670 on: November 20, 2018, 05:00:04 AM »
I'm an instrument tech in northern Canada. Pretty broad scope of work and everyday can be different. The money and time off are great but it can get pretty cold in the dead of winter.

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1093
« Reply #671 on: November 20, 2018, 07:28:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I work two part time jobs. I'm an office assistant in the credit department of a lumber company where I basically lurk slap and scan paperwork all day, and a barista at a drive thru coffee shop some mornings. I'm about to graduate from college with an arbitrary bachelors degree that I probably wont really use. Don't really know what my next move is. If I can't find a good full time office job I might try to learn a trade or something, carpentry seems cool.
[close]

Get the trade. That's one thing I regret not doing after completing an 'arbitrary degree.' I didn't pay for my education so I don't regret it but in hindsight having a trade as a back up is very good idea. After hours plumber...

My job might be coming to an end soon. I've got about 17 years in social services, the last three in management... if it ends... I think I could be done... but trying to come up with a contingency plan at 43 is terrifying...
[close]

Been thinking about this more and more lately, as my graduation approaches. Would it be stupid of me to go on and look for an apprenticeship program in the trades after investing all the time and money I did into a four year degree? Am I too old (25) to just now be starting a career in the trades? I'm thinking ahead here, how long would my body realistically hold up to possibly back breaking work ya know? To those of you who went for a four year degree, how was your experience finding a decent paying entry level job after graduation? For those of you who work trades, how did you get your start, and do you enjoy it? Sorry for unloading my quarter life crisis BS on yall, I'm just feeling a little lost and wanna hear from people with more life experience.

I had a professor who said to our class, “if you want a job quit school and get one. If you want to continue being a student turn your page to xxx.” I don’t think you need to get an office job. I had a friend go to school to build guitars and had a job in the industry for 10 years. You’ll always have the college degree. Challenge yourself. In my industry (plastics) companies are looking for tool and die makers. It is hard to find young workers who want to learn a trade. If you find one you enjoy it may be your calling. I am in sales and I would like my kids to have more options for employment than I have. Best of luck and keep in mind 40 years of work is a long time. You can take a few more years to figure out what you want to do before you have a family to take care of.

RCB3

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 429
« Reply #672 on: November 20, 2018, 09:31:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I had a professor who said to our class, “if you want a job quit school and get one. If you want to continue being a student turn your page to xxx.” I don’t think you need to get an office job. I had a friend go to school to build guitars and had a job in the industry for 10 years. You’ll always have the college degree. Challenge yourself. In my industry (plastics) companies are looking for tool and die makers. It is hard to find young workers who want to learn a trade. If you find one you enjoy it may be your calling. I am in sales and I would like my kids to have more options for employment than I have. Best of luck and keep in mind 40 years of work is a long time. You can take a few more years to figure out what you want to do before you have a family to take care of.

I think it depends on if you like the field of work you went to school for. You could always try it out and then move on to something else. Having a college degree doesn't mean shit these days as far as pay. Obviously certain degrees are more specified, but a generic one doesn't hold a ton of weight. I graduated college with a graphic design degree and couldn't find a job in the field mainly because it was right when the recession hit and most design studios were downsizing. I did a bunch of random stuff instead including walking dogs, working sales for my dad, working in special education for several years, finally working in a graphic design position, moving to a new state and working for a newspaper that sort of was graphic design, and now am a photographer and work a side job for a tourism board. I'm almost 32 and the majority of my friends aren't in jobs related to the field they graduated in. I'm not saying it's great to jump around always, but most people don't stay in jobs for 20-30 years like back in the day. The cool thing about this day and age of the internet is that there's a lot of opportunities to create a job for yourself by seeing an opportunity and going after it. One big thing for me is realizing what your personality is and how that relates to the reality of a job. For me, graphic design was basically a 9-5 desk job, and it's tough to find places that do really cool work. I wanted to be on my feet and doing something that offered more flexibility. Also, not to sound like an old man, but it's not what you know, it's who you know. Meeting people and having connections will get you a job way easier than a lengthy resume. So many people I know got jobs because they knew people even though they were less qualified than so many others. Obviously a trade you need more specified skills, but if you are interested in a creative field or something like that, a portfolio and being involved in that community will hold a lot more weight than saying you graduated from so and so school. I'm totally rambling all over here I know, but basically I'm trying to say it's Ok to not have everything figured out and you can always go back to what you went to school for. Job markets are always changing and new fields are constantly evolving. Take a little while trying some stuff out and seeing what sounds good. Also find people in the field you think you might want to be in, take em out for a beer or coffee and pick their brain. It's a good way to meet people and get personal insight to the day in and day out of a job.

Irvine-Sucks.com

baustin

• Rep: 118
« Reply #673 on: November 21, 2018, 09:50:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I think it depends on if you like the field of work you went to school for. You could always try it out and then move on to something else. Having a college degree doesn't mean shit these days as far as pay. Obviously certain degrees are more specified, but a generic one doesn't hold a ton of weight. I graduated college with a graphic design degree and couldn't find a job in the field mainly because it was right when the recession hit and most design studios were downsizing. I did a bunch of random stuff instead including walking dogs, working sales for my dad, working in special education for several years, finally working in a graphic design position, moving to a new state and working for a newspaper that sort of was graphic design, and now am a photographer and work a side job for a tourism board. I'm almost 32 and the majority of my friends aren't in jobs related to the field they graduated in. I'm not saying it's great to jump around always, but most people don't stay in jobs for 20-30 years like back in the day. The cool thing about this day and age of the internet is that there's a lot of opportunities to create a job for yourself by seeing an opportunity and going after it. One big thing for me is realizing what your personality is and how that relates to the reality of a job. For me, graphic design was basically a 9-5 desk job, and it's tough to find places that do really cool work. I wanted to be on my feet and doing something that offered more flexibility. Also, not to sound like an old man, but it's not what you know, it's who you know. Meeting people and having connections will get you a job way easier than a lengthy resume. So many people I know got jobs because they knew people even though they were less qualified than so many others. Obviously a trade you need more specified skills, but if you are interested in a creative field or something like that, a portfolio and being involved in that community will hold a lot more weight than saying you graduated from so and so school. I'm totally rambling all over here I know, but basically I'm trying to say it's Ok to not have everything figured out and you can always go back to what you went to school for. Job markets are always changing and new fields are constantly evolving. Take a little while trying some stuff out and seeing what sounds good. Also find people in the field you think you might want to be in, take em out for a beer or coffee and pick their brain. It's a good way to meet people and get personal insight to the day in and day out of a job.

Appreciate the responses! I've been looking for paid internships/co-ops lately and applying to pretty much anything that interests me. The lumber co. I work for also might be able to hook something full time up for me, so I'll have to wait and see what happens and keep trying to make connections in the meantime.

Grampa

• Rep: 151
« Reply #674 on: November 21, 2018, 07:39:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I just got an offer today for a mechanical engineering position and I am beyond stoked.
[close]

[close]

First off congrats to both you guys... just out of curiosity did you go to Grad School or do you just have a BA?  I'm in dire need of a career change and have been looking into engineering.
[close]

I'm french, so I started by doing a two-years technical degree (specialized in mechanical engineering)
After that I did a 3 years apprenticeship, half week in a company, and half week in an engineering school.

I know that you can also start the apprenticeship if you had a previous job and want to have the engineer grade.
[close]

I just got my BS. Took me quite awhile because I didn’t really finish high school the real way so I had to take a ton of community college classes to make up for that. For the most part, grad school isn’t  super necessary to find a job in engineering.
[close]

Oh nice this is actually somewhat helpful (and positive) news.  I already have a BA in fine arts, which is about as useful as telling potential jobs that I have a great rep on Slap.  However all my electives are taken care of so I could probably earn my degree in 2 years. 

[close]
What are you guys doing with your degrees? Engineering jobs are so broad I always wonder what people are doing after college.

I work in a manufacturing facility developing ways to automate and optimize processes. I basically get to combine my interests in manufacturing and machine design with robotics.

It’s essentially what I always envisioned myself doing with an engineering degree, so I’m pretty stoked.

slippy

• Rep: 87
« Reply #675 on: November 27, 2018, 01:11:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

I work in a manufacturing facility developing ways to automate and optimize processes. I basically get to combine my interests in manufacturing and machine design with robotics.

It’s essentially what I always envisioned myself doing with an engineering degree, so I’m pretty stoked.

That sounds like a dream job, I've been trying to break into that area.  I just got turned down for a job as a process engineer at Shutterfly, that company that makes photo prints.  Stoked for you though, that's gotta be a rewarding gig
people who refuse to use apple products can blow my fucking stupid hog

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
« Reply #676 on: November 27, 2018, 02:39:16 PM »
I sell used shipping containers  8)

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 407
« Reply #677 on: November 28, 2018, 05:51:13 AM »
I work as one of 3 head-designers for one of the biggest healthcare businesses in Belgium.

Next to that I also work for my own small company called HAKON.

Here is some stuff I make/made:
www.behance.net/hakondesigns

feedback welcome

weon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 228
  • todo gratis todo gay
« Reply #678 on: November 29, 2018, 04:37:36 AM »
I recently started as an oceanography PhD student. I'll be doing ocean biogeochemistry research for the next 5 to 7 years before I can get my degree. I might go on my first research cruise in January and I'm hyped but also very nervous :)

I like your stuff. The surfing raccoon made me smile.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 04:55:32 AM by Weon »
Lil' Wayne is more core than Jaden Smith.
Damn. Chico of Chocolate now Pyramids of Giza. What the hell is going on?

SUPREMENECKPROTECTOR

• Rep: 100
« Reply #679 on: November 29, 2018, 04:56:33 AM »
I work as one of 3 head-designers for one of the biggest healthcare businesses in Belgium.

feedback welcome

Really cool stuff. Especially the CAS birth card (big fan of owls). Are all of those designs commission work for someone?

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
  • tiger style
« Reply #680 on: November 29, 2018, 09:35:51 AM »

feedback welcome

wow man, your logos are fantastic. we need to connect. i could use a good freelance designer from time to time.

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 707
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #681 on: November 29, 2018, 06:18:47 PM »
So, in the space of just over two weeks, we have lost two of our lead engineers. The network team I am on went from 7 people and one manager when I was hired a little over a year ago, to 4 people and two managers.

We're crushing it.

RCB3

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 429
« Reply #682 on: November 29, 2018, 10:50:27 PM »

feedback welcome

I want a bass panda print for my office.

Irvine-Sucks.com

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #683 on: November 29, 2018, 10:58:41 PM »
Thanks a million guys!
Appreciate it.

Haha I can send a high res file?

sometimeperhaps

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 143
« Reply #684 on: November 30, 2018, 05:01:06 AM »

feedback welcome

Nice stuff. I like the Kat'ri branding, nice illustration. Your pencil work is impressive as well.

What healthcare stuff do you do? I'm a designer working in that space as well, I'm always curious what goes on in other countries. In Canada we're pretty restricted, and don't have huge budgets.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
  • tiger style
« Reply #685 on: December 01, 2018, 04:07:21 AM »
little edit from my trip to san diego. i got invited to talk about software testing and talk on the 7cto podcast. feel pretty fortunate to be in tech right now. hoping the economy doesn't eat shit again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kf22pydmC28&feature=youtu.be

So, in the space of just over two weeks, we have lost two of our lead engineers. The network team I am on went from 7 people and one manager when I was hired a little over a year ago, to 4 people and two managers.

We're crushing it.

nice man!

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #686 on: December 03, 2018, 12:14:16 AM »
Expand Quote

feedback welcome
[close]

Really cool stuff. Especially the CAS birth card (big fan of owls). Are all of those designs commission work for someone?

Haha thanks a lot! :D

Everything except the hemelbestormer - and alien workshop artwork, is commissioned.

The_Rock_Obama

• Rep: -40
« Reply #687 on: December 03, 2018, 03:14:23 PM »
Right now I work at Subway 20 hours a week (idk why cause my dad is loaded, but won’t give me money). I’ll be starting college in the fall for religious studies. Hopefully I can make that work (it’s really just to make my folks happy). If that doesn’t work out, I think I’ll try to get a job in suicide cleanup. It sounds gnarly, but I’ve already seen some pretty messed up shit on the dark web. Plus, you make bank and are genuinely helping others by by cleaning up their dead child/father/uncle’s brain particles, or whatever other mess (depending on how they off themselves)

slippy

• Rep: 87
« Reply #688 on: December 03, 2018, 03:25:08 PM »
Right now I work at Subway 20 hours a week (idk why cause my dad is loaded, but won’t give me money). I’ll be starting college in the fall for religious studies. Hopefully I can make that work (it’s really just to make my folks happy). If that doesn’t work out, I think I’ll try to get a job in suicide cleanup. It sounds gnarly, but I’ve already seen some pretty messed up shit on the dark web. Plus, you make bank and are genuinely helping others by by cleaning up their dead child/father/uncle’s brain particles, or whatever other mess (depending on how they off themselves)

there's a million and one jobs out there if you dig for weird stuff.  If your parents are going to help you with school I strongly strongly suggest getting whatever degree you find interesting.  If that's religious studies, cool, if that's gender studies, cool, really there's a lot of different ones out there.  Each one has a set of jobs it relays to pretty well and getting into something you're interested in makes every day a hell of a lot more enjoyable.  All i'm saying is free college is tremendous gift and can make your life kick ass if you go for it, I wouldn't waste the opportunity
people who refuse to use apple products can blow my fucking stupid hog

straight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 993
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #689 on: December 07, 2018, 01:26:30 PM »
i wanna know how much you guys make
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?