Author Topic: grinding down to the axle  (Read 164989 times)

IpathCats

Re: grinding down to the axle
« Reply #630 on: March 19, 2023, 07:02:00 AM »
Not axle but just hopped on the bus into town to go skate and noticed my pivot cup or lack thereof

(Ralph wiggum I'm in danger meme here)

Very interesting that your baseplate is so much more worn in comparison to your hanger. Big nose/tail slide kinda guy?

stringsnthings

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -48
« Reply #631 on: March 19, 2023, 11:00:27 AM »
Retiring these classic 55's when i break axle. Learned sloppy crooks on these and couldn't stop doing them.

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -619
« Reply #632 on: March 19, 2023, 11:30:57 AM »
I trip out when i see people with hangers that are just evenly ground down along the whole thing. All of the times i've gotten to axle it's in my back heel corner where i do front 5-0s on pool coping. what grinds are you doing where you consistently use the whole hanger like that?
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 632
« Reply #633 on: March 19, 2023, 12:26:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Not axle but just hopped on the bus into town to go skate and noticed my pivot cup or lack thereof

(Ralph wiggum I'm in danger meme here)
[close]

Very interesting that your baseplate is so much more worn in comparison to your hanger. Big nose/tail slide kinda guy?

Yeah pretty much, the spot I mainly skate is kinda low for doing proper nose/tailslide, I mean they're possible but I much rather prefer slappying up into them. I only really learned slappy noseslides in the last 7 or 8 months or so, and as such spent a lot of time on this set doing them and learning variations etc. Funnily enough I have the same wear on the back truck of my old set of ventures as I had switch slappy noseslides before I could do regular ones - same deal pretty much, learn a trick and rinse it for months. Here's a couple old thunder hangers from 2016-2018 I think, first two to axle and third one cracked to the point the hangar moved around.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1056
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #634 on: March 19, 2023, 05:38:57 PM »
I trip out when i see people with hangers that are just evenly ground down along the whole thing. All of the times i've gotten to axle it's in my back heel corner where i do front 5-0s on pool coping. what grinds are you doing where you consistently use the whole hanger like that?

The wear pattern is an interesting one.  I keep meaning to take some pics of different trucks from people I know, but the best examples as follows:

Transition only skaters - usually not a lot of wear all over, mainly back heel point from grinds

Curb slappy fifties only - usually flat wear the whole width of the truck, often front more so than back right across with back more in the middle, but not always

Curb / noseslide / crooks only - usually more interesting wear across the front / back truck faces from the angle of crooks and significant baseplate wear, sometimes through to the pivot cup area.

The fact that some guys will skate a curb one session, then hit the park and skate pool coping or other stuff, or even those more all rounders make for more even wear but any rougher edges, be it ledge, coping, raw whatever, you are going to take off a lot more metal each session than those who skate just a plain smooth metal coping / edged skatepark or similar surfaces.

Edit:

You can easily tell what I usually skated a lot more, from these three old boards I took pics of from a while back (last pics in particular) which are all down to axle and then retired, one more than the others, but nothing like some of the awesome trucks I have seen here.  I also went up board and truck size, so these have been hanging around more so waiting for a new home than anything else:

« Last Edit: March 19, 2023, 05:49:05 PM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 706
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #635 on: March 20, 2023, 06:39:39 AM »

if you have a parking block where your truck can sit right on top, all 4 wheels freely sticking out at the side. when you can eat the entire thing it will wear the truck out a lot more evenly. i was hitting on up like that on saturday night for awhile.

i am trying to flip my trucks around when i switch decks, and do as many diferent grinds from from different stances to create as much damage as possible on my current sets of trucks.

streetmeat

• Rep: 170
« Reply #636 on: May 17, 2023, 01:29:09 PM »
Ace 44 Classics: Done.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #637 on: May 17, 2023, 02:07:58 PM »

Damn! Well done! Beautiful grooves. So nice to see.

One hanger looks to be cracked. is that the reason for calling it a day on these?

The top washer on the other hanger so beautifully ground down also. The nut I assume has been changed at some point? The kingpin seems to be surprisingly mildly ground down.

Not related to these beautiful trucks, but I’ve always wondered, shouldn’t this thread be in Shoes & Gear instead of UWTB? Mods? Any comments?

streetmeat

« Reply #638 on: May 17, 2023, 02:29:01 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Damn! Well done! Beautiful grooves. So nice to see.

One hanger looks to be cracked. is that the reason for calling it a day on these?

The top washer on the other hanger so beautifully ground down also. The nut I assume has been changed at some point? The kingpin seems to be surprisingly mildly ground down.

Not related to these beautiful trucks, but I’ve always wondered, shouldn’t this thread be in Shoes & Gear instead of UWTB? Mods? Any comments?

The one in front cracked all the way around, i skated on it for like 30 more mins but got scared lol.

I need to get more photos. Theres much more going on with these than whats pictured.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 710
« Reply #639 on: May 17, 2023, 02:29:16 PM »
Excellent work @streetmeat
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

streetmeat

« Reply #640 on: May 17, 2023, 02:49:38 PM »
about a month ago i rotated them cause i was damn near almost through the bushing seat from feebles, most of the time i was just sliding on the bushing, it felt awful lol so i rotated before i went straight though it

the area above the nut exposing the axel actually chipped away looooooooong ago which was concerning at first but it was all good. I hit axel in the front from crooks before anywhere else

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -619
« Reply #641 on: May 17, 2023, 05:28:11 PM »
Very nice @streetmeat, it looks like you have a solid bag of tricks with all the different grooves there are in those trucks
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

IpathCats

« Reply #642 on: May 17, 2023, 06:10:24 PM »

Wow! Nice job man.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 401
« Reply #643 on: May 18, 2023, 02:58:32 AM »

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 473
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #644 on: May 18, 2023, 04:19:29 AM »

Best thing I’ve seen this week. Solid job.

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 618
« Reply #645 on: May 18, 2023, 05:06:38 AM »
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -74
« Reply #646 on: May 18, 2023, 05:21:23 AM »
I encourage you to donate those to the Smithsonian.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #647 on: May 18, 2023, 06:33:27 AM »

hella crooks and feebles!

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1194
  • old and in the way
« Reply #648 on: May 18, 2023, 01:40:17 PM »

each truck looks like a dna helix. well done @streetmeat

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #649 on: May 18, 2023, 02:17:28 PM »
Don't talk about grooved trucks until you grind through every axis, ala @streetmeat
Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

manysnakes

« Reply #650 on: May 18, 2023, 02:37:08 PM »
Kinda jealous of you guys with significant feeble marks. That's one I could just never figure out.

Spliffluvr

• Rep: 0
« Reply #651 on: May 19, 2023, 12:20:34 AM »
Down to the axle on my current pair, mostly from slappy crooks, last pair the king pin broke.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 710
« Reply #652 on: May 19, 2023, 12:27:07 AM »
Kinda jealous of you guys with significant feeble marks. That's one I could just never figure out.

Same.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1132
« Reply #653 on: May 19, 2023, 07:39:07 AM »

Same.
I really need to start seeking out some grindable obstacles, too much flatground my trucks will outlive me

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #654 on: May 19, 2023, 07:51:53 AM »

I have bene working on them a lot its hard as fuck, i still dont quite get it. i always 5-0, cant really get it dipped down.

manysnakes

« Reply #655 on: May 19, 2023, 07:56:51 AM »
I have bene working on them a lot its hard as fuck, i still dont quite get it. i always 5-0, cant really get it dipped down.

I always end up going to boardslide.

streetmeat

« Reply #656 on: May 19, 2023, 12:11:34 PM »

slappy feebles are dumb easy, easiest slappy there is

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 207
« Reply #657 on: May 21, 2023, 04:10:07 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

slappy feebles are dumb easy, easiest slappy there is
It always depends on the curb for me. On mellow curbs they’re super easy. On steep curbs they drive me nuts. If anyone is having trouble find a mellow curb.

Orangepulp1000

• Rep: 178
« Reply #658 on: May 25, 2023, 12:25:41 AM »
Just replaced them due to bent axle and also my wheel falling off 3x, after rethreading the axle each time didn’t want to push it much longer there. Wanted to ride them until they snapped ahh well. 1 and a half yrs

Front

Back

manysnakes

« Reply #659 on: May 25, 2023, 04:02:48 AM »
Just replaced them due to bent axle and also my wheel falling off 3x, after rethreading the axle each time didn’t want to push it much longer there. Wanted to ride them until they snapped ahh well. 1 and a half yrs

I've got two pairs of Indys which I wanted to ride until they cracked, but on which the axle threads eventually gave way and I had to abandon my plan. Both are significantly axled but, like you, I'm not gonna take the chance that my wheel falls off mid hill bomb.