Author Topic: Barcelona  (Read 67038 times)

jarlett scohansson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 5
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Barcelona
« on: September 21, 2010, 09:09:41 AM »
What is the best hostel to stay out in regards to sick spots?  I don't care if it's the big spots you see in the vids or anything, I like to skate everything.

VictoriousOG

Re: Barcelona
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 09:00:57 PM »
I really wish I had the name of this Hostel I stayed at. It was in the Ramblas. A 10 min skate or less, from MACBA. And a 2 min skate from this manny pad:

You can use this site to help you a bit:
http://skatewonk.org/skatepark_photos/d/3175-2/Barcelona_park1.jpg

And definitely check out Rufus Skateshop, most legit shop in the area, and 2 minutes from MACBA.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/RUFUS-SKATESHOP/98073646982?ref=ts

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 04:06:43 AM »
If you?re going with a few homies i would recommend to rent an appartment, its pretty cheap and much better than a sketchy hostel. We lived 10 minutes from macba, parallel, bench avenue, universitat which was perfect, so fun to skate those spots at night.

Poele

• Rep: 9
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 04:20:00 AM »
I'm not sure about hostels. Here's a great site with a lot of spots though:

http://www.skhateyou.com/spots/index.html

And I don't know if this site is up to date, but maybe it'll help you find an appartment.

http://rentals.loquo.com/english/barcelona

alrightythen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -21
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 01:34:38 PM »
Like 420 said. If you are like 3-4 people, get an apartment! Cheap and you get a kitchen and stuff so you can save a lot of money on making your own dinners.

Check out www.feelbarcelona.com

Ive used this twice and i works so good

slappyslap

• Rep: -31
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2010, 01:35:32 PM »
if you wanne skate , don't go out after 10 pm
trust me
i made this mistake everytime i'm in barca

Johan

• Rep: -6
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 08:15:56 PM »
if you wanne skate , don't go out after 10 pm
trust me
i made this mistake everytime i'm in barca

I am planning on going in January, are the spots a bust after 10pm? What about during the day? Where are the best places to skate where there will be other skaters? Also any input on tickets or going to jail for skating, is it likely or not for Americans?

Thanks For any input, all is welcome.

professional

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 127
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2010, 08:39:09 AM »
first off, dont go skating after 10pm because there are groups of dudes who prey on white, american tourists and will rob you. even the people that seem most friendly will at least try and pick-pocket you. during the day you can skate anywhere in the city virtually bust free with the exception of uni and macba(you can skate there tues and sunday i think?).

you wont go to jail and you wont get a ticket but you will get your board taken away without question if you dont leave the spot immediately as the cop is rolling up. they just dont care so dont argue.

photocopy your passport and keep the photocopy on you. learn some basic spanish so that if you do not to talk to police you can at least tell them youre from america, you cant speak spanish, etc. etc.

and please, for the love of god, be courteous to the people around you and the city. the reason people from barcelona hate white tourists so much is from the dumbasses that travel there and disrespect the city. it goes without saying that if youre a cry baby bitch you can't be throwing your board around and screaming. it scares the locals who don't skate so they call the police because they have no idea what's going on.

Smurph

• Rep: 30
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2010, 02:31:17 PM »
first off, dont go skating after 10pm because there are groups of dudes who prey on white, american tourists and will rob you. even the people that seem most friendly will at least try and pick-pocket you.
What the fuck are you talking about?

SKATE AT THREE IN THE MORNING - BEERS - UNIVERSITAT - BOMB DOWN THE RAMBLAS - TAKE A LEFT -  CRUISE DOWN BY THE BEACH - FIND A BEACH PARTY - SWIM WHEN THE SUN COMES UP

professional

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 127
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2010, 07:01:24 PM »
yep sorry, that was a bit vague. I meant by yourself. Skating at night through the streets is the best feeling there...the sound of the brick streets is unforgettable and feels amazing when youre drunk.

Johan

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2010, 04:56:47 PM »
Thanks a lot, I now have a much better idea of what to expect. Really appreciate it

myrrh

• Rep: 2
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2010, 09:25:40 AM »
I've been once in april and that was great in terms of temperatures etc. What other times are good to go?
I am considering going this winter sometime.
And I can confirm the risk of being robbed. A guy tried to take our cameras at paral-lel + some guys talked about robbing us at universitat but we managed to get away.

poopmonkey

• Rep: 20
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2010, 02:36:47 PM »
I really wish I had the name of this Hostel I stayed at. It was in the Ramblas. A 10 min skate or less, from MACBA. And a 2 min skate from this manny pad:

You can use this site to help you a bit:
http://skatewonk.org/skatepark_photos/d/3175-2/Barcelona_park1.jpg

And definitely check out Rufus Skateshop, most legit shop in the area, and 2 minutes from MACBA.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/RUFUS-SKATESHOP/98073646982?ref=ts
the hostel is Barcelona Mar, one of the 3 (i think) BE hostels look em up, cheap too if i remember correctly.

and skating by yourself at night is very doable, although you'll most likely meet someone who'll wanna skate with you. Just watch out for people getting too close to (touching) you, especially non-skaters. Watching your bag when you have a cam is always important. It's not as bad as a lot of people usually make it sound though.

André Beach

• Rep: -2
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2010, 01:36:46 AM »
Thinking about movin there after new years, a couple of guys (4-5). Any tips where to go and not to go? Do we have a chance to get a job even if you dont speak spanish but really wants to learn it? Maybe some shitty job whatever.. :D

alrightythen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2010, 07:58:17 AM »
If youre motivated youll learn spanish pretty fast, at least if you take some classes. Jobwise depends on how long youre planning on staying, and im not really familiar with the situation in spain. Im pretty sure youll need to apply for some some of work visa like you have to in most other contries

Samuel Gorgompus

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2011, 09:40:30 PM »
I'm studying abroad for a semester in Barcelona, leaving on Friday. I know that the spots out there are amazing, but does anyone have any info about the parks out there?

sametelt

• Rep: 17
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2011, 06:25:00 AM »
Why would you want to skate some shitty euro park when you're in Barcelona?

And for those wanting to get a job there - 20 % of Spain's population are unemployed, so I hardly think you'll be first in line as an impermanent visitor who doesn't speak the language.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 06:27:58 AM by sametelt »

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2011, 08:19:17 PM »
Thinking about movin there after new years, a couple of guys (4-5). Any tips where to go and not to go? Do we have a chance to get a job even if you dont speak spanish but really wants to learn it? Maybe some shitty job whatever.. :D
Mow somebody's lawn or wash dishes!
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

INHABITANTS

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2011, 10:52:04 PM »
go to manolo and you're almost guarentee'd to meet winkle, who knows everything about barcy

MaryhillVibe

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 151
  • gfm
    • www.mudozine.com avatar image
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2011, 07:04:26 AM »
Like 420 said. If you are like 3-4 people, get an apartment! Cheap and you get a kitchen and stuff so you can save a lot of money on making your own dinners.

This^

and shop exclusivly at LIDL, you can get a litre of wine for like a euro, and three teat cheese

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2011, 07:57:00 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This^

and shop exclusivly at LIDL, you can get a litre of wine for like a euro, and three teat cheese

AND: go to the big markets in the evening. they?ll be throwing the fruit at you, basically. so many vitamins, so few euros.

Johan

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2011, 08:31:47 AM »
Barca TR:

Sants- Benches are grinded to shit and it is in what seemed like a bad neighborhood. There was a pretty large group of skaters but the obstacles they had setup were crap and there really wasn't much to skate. Overall it seems like this place has seen better days and even though it seems like the cops don't bother you, it pretty much sucks at this time.

MACBA- usually always a small group of skaters at least. the ledges don't grind very well and the police sometimes drive through. Most of the spot has been changed and there really wasn't much to skate. Not horrible, but wasn't the best spot to skate in the world, at least not anymore.

Uni- The marble benches are amazing but it is very crowded but still OK. Only problem is the undercover police officers who took my board and gave me a US$1,100 ticket (which I really only have to pay if I want my board back) for skating the "architecture". Apparently this applies to Uni (especially) and MACBA and depending on the officer you can get in trouble.

Overall, I'm sure there are still some of the best places to skate in the world, but the most famous spots from the past are no longer as good as they used to be. The atmosphere at MACBA and by the Beach are great and you can still have a good time especially If you know someone here to show you around to the less known spots.

poopmonkey

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2011, 03:56:52 AM »
macba doesn't grind well? riiight.....

truthislie

• Rep: 54
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2011, 04:28:12 AM »
MACBA is great for meeting up and playing skate/drinking after the session. But skating MACBA the whole day is pretty pointless if you are in barcelona.

Its easy to find all the other spots in the city besides macba, uni and sants, even if you dont have anyone who can show you. Just check the skhateyou page and you will find loads, explore a little bit on your own and you will see why everyone loves it. I just booked my flights for summer, can?t wait to go!

If you keep your eyes open for the cops and don?t be a disrespecting asshole you?re fine just like in any other city.

alrightythen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2011, 04:45:17 AM »
Please dont go to Barcelona to skate MACBA, uni or sants. There so much in the city, you can just skate around and discover shit youve nevere even seen before. And yo poopmonkey, you ever been to barca? Macba is so round that grinding that stuff is really no fun at all

poopmonkey

« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2011, 07:05:59 AM »
i've been there about 10 times, i like the way it grinds

jakenjoi

• Rep: 15
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2011, 08:23:10 AM »
Learning Catalan is as important as Spanish if you are ONLY going to Barcelona.  It's their first language, taught in all the schools, a year before they are taught English and 2 years before they are taught Spanish.

When I got off the metro by myself with all my luggage, I was supposed to meet at Paral-lel, and I just asked a bystander, "Donde esta el parque de patineta?" Which after a few confused faces being exchanged between the two of us, we started playing an impromptu game of charades and pictionary until she figured out I meant "skate park".   Turned out it was across the street and about 100 feet away.  I'd definitely recommend Catalan.

They said don't go out after 10 PM because you will just sleep in until 3 PM the next day.  That city does not sleep.  I didn't have any experiences that made me think it was dangerous to be outside, in fact I skated from Winkle's to MACBA on the first night at around 3 AM in my pajamas.  There were easily 100 people skating, drinking and just hanging out.  I could tell you a million stories about every day and night there, none of them were sketchy at all.  Use common sense like you would in any city environment, and you shouldn't have any trouble at all.  The city is so skateboard accessible it's stupid.  You'll stumble upon so many perfect spots if you just roam.  Go! Explore! Have fun!

MaryhillVibe

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 151
  • gfm
    • www.mudozine.com avatar image
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2011, 09:41:25 AM »
I recommend the hill bomb from Montjuic all the way through the old olympic complex and into the city...scenic

poopmonkey

« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2011, 02:58:25 PM »
I recommend the hill bomb from Montjuic all the way through the old olympic complex and into the city...scenic
FUCK YES, so worth the climb

stab

• Rep: -1
  • Jumping Beans is a cop
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2011, 10:51:26 AM »
I'll be in Barca May 8-12, anybody wanna meet up??

I didn't come here to dream or teach the world things;
define paradigms or curate no living days