Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 739021 times)

Murge

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #3750 on: April 20, 2021, 12:49:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Second session on the 77s today. Bushings and pivot cups feel even better, firmer and more responsive. For people asking about the cups, the inside lip looks about as chewed as mine always do and I just attribute it to the break-in process. Nothing rattly or wobbly or anything that would be off putting/out of the usual. And yeah, at no point have these done any sticking to either side.

Last session was on some very smooth painted and waxed parking blocks, today I went to some worn down, heavily skated curbs. They're noticeably louder than the classics at this same spot. I also did the longest slappy front crook I've ever done, which could have also been because of the extra hangar space.

Aside from the guilt I feel about not finishing off my 55 classics, I don't see a reason to go back unless these somehow unexpectedly crap out.
[close]

How’s the pinch compared to classics? Do they Pop different?  Wheel base extension throwing you off any? I want to try some but I still got life in my 44s and don’t wanna break in new ones but damn these are tempting
[close]

If I were you, I'd run your 44's into the ground beforehand.  Loving mine so far, but at 37 it takes me considerably longer to kill trucks.

I feel you. I’m gonna be 36 in June and I don’t even have deep groves in my 44s yet ha.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #3751 on: April 20, 2021, 12:56:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Second session on the 77s today. Bushings and pivot cups feel even better, firmer and more responsive. For people asking about the cups, the inside lip looks about as chewed as mine always do and I just attribute it to the break-in process. Nothing rattly or wobbly or anything that would be off putting/out of the usual. And yeah, at no point have these done any sticking to either side.

Last session was on some very smooth painted and waxed parking blocks, today I went to some worn down, heavily skated curbs. They're noticeably louder than the classics at this same spot. I also did the longest slappy front crook I've ever done, which could have also been because of the extra hangar space.

Aside from the guilt I feel about not finishing off my 55 classics, I don't see a reason to go back unless these somehow unexpectedly crap out.
[close]

How’s the pinch compared to classics? Do they Pop different?  Wheel base extension throwing you off any? I want to try some but I still got life in my 44s and don’t wanna break in new ones but damn these are tempting

I want to be like, "The pinch is much better!!" but since I am riding 77s instead of my usual classic 55s I can't tell if it is the the redesign or just the longer hanger. I do a lot of slappy crooks and today they felt really good.

Pop feels similar, not really noticing the WB difference. I'm pretty tall so I feel like a little WB extension doesn't bother as much as others.

I too would recommend killing the 44 classics first. I like these a lot and am in a honeymoon phase, but I do still love the 55s and plan to finish mine off. Still such good trucks.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #3752 on: April 20, 2021, 03:30:29 PM »
@FrozenIndustries not noticing a material upgrade? Just bushings pretty much. And the higher hanger by sizing up

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #3753 on: April 20, 2021, 03:57:48 PM »
@FrozenIndustries not noticing a material upgrade? Just bushings pretty much. And the higher hanger by sizing up

I wouldn't say that, I just don't want to be overzealous during the honeymoon. The casting is much nicer, so are the pivot cups. Bushings feel like the same Ace goodness. Axles and pins look to be different but I never had issues with bending to begin with. No bushings popping out, though the washers look the same to me.

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 410
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3754 on: April 20, 2021, 07:04:48 PM »
Looks like GT has an Ace drawn on his new graphic. He’s not listed on the site but could this be foreshadowing things to come?

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
« Reply #3755 on: April 20, 2021, 07:57:32 PM »
Not to derail the convo here, but my local just got Film trucks in and I'm in need of new trucks - not sure if I should stick to 44 classics (been on these for the last 8 months and love em), give the AF1s a try, or take a run at Films... I'm not massively opposed to trying new things, but just wondered if any serious Ace lovers here have rode Films and have a decent comparison.

I know im a bit late to the party here but I've got 3 pairs of ace 44 (classic, I guess I have to specify that now), a pair of 03, and I've been riding films on and off pretty much since the first batch hit the states a year or so ago so I'll give you my perception. The Film standard actually has a slightly tighter wheelbase than the hollows (which is weird because visually they look identical, but I've measured it multiple times) and is the most common version here so I'm using those and Ace 44 for my comparison here.

Height: Close. I can't remember what films are off-hand but I think its 53mm or 53.5mm. I'd definitely classify both as a "mid" truck and thus they both have a fairly snappy pop. I don't have ghost pop issues with either of these trucks, even on steeper tails like BBS or Pennswood. Tail hits the ground when I expect it to and I don't have an extensive timing adjustment period if I switch between them or something like a forged thunder or venture hollow.

Weight: Films are definitely lighter. I'll have to check my "truck weight station" folder and see what exactly they were but I'm almost positive they were right around 360g because I remember being somewhat deflated when the hollows were only 5g lighter. They're still a solid cast truck so they don't have that weird "tinny" sound that you sometimes get with like venture hollows. Ace are heavy. That is all the input I have on them.

Bushings: I'll call this a tie. Ace bushings are great and on straight urethane quality they might slightly edge Film, but Film has a trick up its sleeve - interlocking bushings. The film bushings have a little nipple that extends into the hangar and keeps everything snug and where it's supposed to be which makes them amazing in their own right. Super responsive, almost zero "dead zone", and the stock bushings are also very good quality urethane. There is a caveat however, as I've mentioned before the harder film bushings lock up in cold weather worse than any other bushing I've ever skated. Below 35 degrees you might as well have concrete around your kingpin.

Turn: The big one. Might be controversial but I'm going to give this to film, at least in warm weather. Turn is fairly subjective so what I like might not be what you like and vice versa but there's definitely at least some overlap between the two. I'd class both as very "turny" trucks, with tight wheelbases and enough height to give you a tight turning radius. On straight radius the aces might be slightly better, but not by much and what (again) sets the films apart are the bushings. Aces at stock tightness have a disconcerting tendency to wobble a bit at high speeds while films are perfectly stable until you want them to turn. When you do decide to turn, the response is instant and linear. 

In closing, the one area that keeps me from skating films more than I do might be entirely in my head - the pop. For some reason I feel like they rob me of some of my pop even though I have zero objective reason to. There's nothing I've tried on other trucks that I can't do on films or anything like that, it's entirely "feel". For that reason, I'd probably have to pick aces if you put a gun to my head but they're both excellent trucks and I don't think you'll be disappointed if you decide to go the Film route. Just be careful, you might start craving red wine and developing a smug superiority complex... and we all know those are two things that aren't at all common in skateboarding.

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #3756 on: April 20, 2021, 08:30:47 PM »
I really like the idea of trying Films. Mostly because I am a Francophile and I love JD and his skating.

Anyway, I got my 66s today. I had ordered them from SoCal, but didnt realize that theyre only about 15 minutes away. They would have shipped today (I ordered Friday morning) but I went down and picked them up.

I skated my mini ramp mostly tonight and a little cruising around the hood and I cranked them down about a turn and a half. I am a big dude and that would definitely be tight for others, but perfect for me for carving etc.

They felt great. They felt like Aces. They turn fine. Extra WB doesnt feel like it's affected my turning (and I like boards with a 14.5-14.75 despite being 6'3", so this might be helping). Grinds are fine. idk man, I like them. Im hyped. Im a fanboy. Whatever. I now have two setups going though, an 8.875 magenta with classic 55s and my 9.125 Transportation Unit with the AF1 66s.
ok thanks

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #3757 on: April 21, 2021, 02:49:24 AM »
I'm dedicated to Ace but I will, without a doubt, buy some Film when I move to Lyon in the near future and I will put my money directly into the hands of Jeremie Daclin at Wallstreet.

The Cliche team stayed at my apartment about 15 years ago and they gave me a ton of free product so I feel it's only fair.

I'm not sure if I'll try the AF1 yet because I actually like the width of classic 44s on 8.5 decks but I might try some for shits and giggles eventually anyway.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #3758 on: April 21, 2021, 03:19:15 AM »
I managed to convince my girlfriend to gift me a cruiser for my birthday, so I ordered some AF1's 77 for a 10" board. I was a bit bummed there's no hollow/forged versions for my regular board, but I guess weight doesn't really matter for cruising around anyway so I decided to try them out. First big board I'm setting up so I'm excited!

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

mbam003

• Rep: 20
« Reply #3759 on: April 21, 2021, 05:35:32 AM »
Looks like GT has an Ace drawn on his new graphic. He’s not listed on the site but could this be foreshadowing things to come?

Maybe just a generic truck image the artist chose for the graphic? I wouldn't even speculate on the topic of GT leaving Indy, but that would rock the scales hard.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #3760 on: April 21, 2021, 06:00:22 AM »
@Buttfart Rapedick  you got me really interested in trying film. How’s the wheel bite? I feel like ace is the least wheel bite I’ve had on a truck.

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 410
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3761 on: April 21, 2021, 06:53:43 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Maybe just a generic truck image the artist chose for the graphic? I wouldn't even speculate on the topic of GT leaving Indy, but that would rock the scales hard.
Maybe it is but I tend to think Thunder has more of a “generic” truck look to it especially more so than Ace.

ballintoohard

« Reply #3762 on: April 21, 2021, 08:05:02 AM »
What’s the weight on the new Ace? So the wheelbase is now comparable to Indy? Really curious to try them.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #3763 on: April 21, 2021, 08:26:48 AM »
@Buttfart Rapedick  you got me really interested in trying film. How’s the wheel bite? I feel like ace is the least wheel bite I’ve had on a truck.
wheel bite is pretty much non existent on films, still not sure if I like the turn better than aces (at least at stick tightness) but they certainly are a quality truck!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
« Reply #3764 on: April 21, 2021, 09:00:55 AM »

I would say it depends on how big your wheels are. The stock bushings are maybe a bit softer (I'd say 88-90a) than ace but I usually skate the Film hard (guessing around 94-96a) bushings - shoutout to Jeremie Daclin for mailing me a set from France - with 53mm tablets which makes wheelbite pretty much a nonfactor. I did recently set up my Film hollows on an 8.25 WKND with 55mm OG classics (basically a conical full with classic formula) which are a pretty big wheel. I haven't had any issues there but I've only skated it twice and I ride my trucks pretty tight so your mileage may vary if you're into looseys and/or monster truck setups.

I just realized I left one thing out - the grind. Films have a really nice grind on concrete. I've never actually tried them on anything but curbs but the standards have a fast grind that requires very little wax. I'm not sure if that means its harder or softer than other trucks, but its noticeable enough that I usually get caught off guard the first time I hit my little curb. It's not quite as smooth and buttery feeling as ace, but definitely feels faster. I know JD and a lot of the film team guys are big into curbs and slappys so I'm guessing concrete grinding was something they focused on when they were designing and developing them.

One of the other things I like about Film is the unique colored plates and hardware for pro models and collabs. They don't always make the entire truck one color ala silver/ace/thunder etc and often just add a little flair to make them stand out. They recently released an FTC one that I really like and have been considering picking up even though I already have far too many trucks.

Oh yeah, does anyone have an actual weight (in grams) for the AF1 44? I skimmed through the last few pages and didn't see it.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #3765 on: April 21, 2021, 09:15:16 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I would say it depends on how big your wheels are. The stock bushings are maybe a bit softer (I'd say 88-90a) than ace but I usually skate the Film hard (guessing around 94-96a) bushings - shoutout to Jeremie Daclin for mailing me a set from France - with 53mm tablets which makes wheelbite pretty much a nonfactor. I did recently set up my Film hollows on an 8.25 WKND with 55mm OG classics (basically a conical full with classic formula) which are a pretty big wheel. I haven't had any issues there but I've only skated it twice and I ride my trucks pretty tight so your mileage may vary if you're into looseys and/or monster truck setups.

I just realized I left one thing out - the grind. Films have a really nice grind on concrete. I've never actually tried them on anything but curbs but the standards have a fast grind that requires very little wax. I'm not sure if that means its harder or softer than other trucks, but its noticeable enough that I usually get caught off guard the first time I hit my little curb. It's not quite as smooth and buttery feeling as ace, but definitely feels faster. I know JD and a lot of the film team guys are big into curbs and slappys so I'm guessing concrete grinding was something they focused on when they were designing and developing them.

One of the other things I like about Film is the unique colored plates and hardware for pro models and collabs. They don't always make the entire truck one color ala silver/ace/thunder etc and often just add a little flair to make them stand out. They recently released an FTC one that I really like and have been considering picking up even though I already have far too many trucks.

Oh yeah, does anyone have an actual weight (in grams) for the AF1 44? I skimmed through the last few pages and didn't see it.

https://www.bonkers-shop.com/product/skateboarding/trucks/ace-trucks-af1-44-truck-polished/

"392 grams"

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #3766 on: April 21, 2021, 11:14:06 AM »
I couldn't resist....55 AF1s on the way!

stets

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #3767 on: April 21, 2021, 11:17:26 AM »

Went for the Grosso mod on some AF1 66's. Used some stainless steel old stock Gullwing kingpins I had found on eBay.

The stock nut spun in the baseplate recess, but the sharper thin titanium nuts I had stocked up on actually seated themselves without spinning... bit into the recess a little. So rather than plopping a ton of JB weld in there, I just dripped some superglue into it. They can tighten and loosen without any spinning at all. Will report back on how this holds up after skating them!
Quote from: augustmoon
lol, don't let my sticker job keep you up at night, buddy

stebe

« Reply #3768 on: April 21, 2021, 11:25:45 AM »

Went for the Grosso mod on some AF1 66's. Used some stainless steel old stock Gullwing kingpins I had found on eBay.

The stock nut spun in the baseplate recess, but the sharper thin titanium nuts I had stocked up on actually seated themselves without spinning... bit into the recess a little. So rather than plopping a ton of JB weld in there, I just dripped some superglue into it. They can tighten and loosen without any spinning at all. Will report back on how this holds up after skating them!

respect to surely being the first to do this

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #3769 on: April 21, 2021, 11:28:51 AM »
@stets looks very sick. How hard was it to get the stock KP out on the AF1s?

stets

« Reply #3770 on: April 21, 2021, 11:31:59 AM »

It was pretty difficult compared to the Thunder and Indy kingpins I've hammered out. Had to use the heaviest hammer I own and probably twice the number of strikes. Ace seems to have better (or at least denser) aluminum in the baseplate. But that's good because the hole didn't oval out while hammering them out, which means less wobble on the inverted kingpin setup.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #3771 on: April 21, 2021, 11:36:12 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It was pretty difficult compared to the Thunder and Indy kingpins I've hammered out. Had to use the heaviest hammer I own and probably twice the number of strikes. Ace seems to have better (or at least denser) aluminum in the baseplate. But that's good because the hole didn't oval out while hammering them out, which means less wobble on the inverted kingpin setup.

Thanks, much appreciated. Not any time soon, but I want to try this on my next set.

Bigwheelbite

• Rep: -162
« Reply #3772 on: April 21, 2021, 11:57:57 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

GT suits Ace way better than Indy - just saying...

Would be sick if he does leave Indy for Ace!

Expand Quote
[close]
wheel bite is pretty much non existent on films, still not sure if I like the turn better than aces (at least at stick tightness) but they certainly are a quality truck!

Don't bother with film trucks - they feel cheap af and turn like shit!

Expand Quote

[close]

respect to surely being the first to do this

Love the functionality, look and customisation of having an inverted KP but having to take the trucks off everytime you want to take your hanger off etc (or epoxy the nut so it doesn't move) is like nah. Better off angle grinding the standard kingpin nut and it grinds better that way as well apparently.   
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 12:05:10 PM by Bigwheelbite »

stets

« Reply #3773 on: April 21, 2021, 12:13:47 PM »

Love the functionality, look and customisation of having an inverted KP but having to take the trucks off everytime you want to take your hanger off etc (or epoxy the nut so it doesn't move) is like nah. Better off angle grinding the standard kingpin nut and it grinds better that way as well apparently.

In order to get any inverted kingpin mod to work, you'll need to epoxy/glue-set the nut in somehow. Otherwise it just spins. So I never have had to take the trucks off to swap bushings or anything on the many sets I've done over the years!

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3774 on: April 21, 2021, 12:31:15 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

In order to get any inverted kingpin mod to work, you'll need to epoxy/glue-set the nut in somehow. Otherwise it just spins. So I never have had to take the trucks off to swap bushings or anything on the many sets I've done over the years!

Hopefully the super glue works for you, anytime I've used it a few sessions and it breaks free.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #3775 on: April 21, 2021, 02:38:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Hopefully the super glue works for you, anytime I've used it a few sessions and it breaks free.

I don't know how anyone gets this to hold. Unless you have access to top secret aerospace glues, JB Weld is basically the only thing you're going to find on the shelf that will hold that in place IME
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

rosemaryBB

• Rep: 26
« Reply #3776 on: April 21, 2021, 02:53:31 PM »
Ended up getting Film trucks because (weirdly) the skateshop I ended up at had them, but not the new Aces and I wasn't feeling particularly picky. Got the Rollersurfer pro model because they felt like almost the same weight as the hollows.

Didn't see any of the Buttfart Rapedick posts till after buying and skating them, but would say I agree with basically all of his assessments aside from that I didn't notice a difference in my pop at all, but this may be more because I went from riding my Ace 44's on a deck that has been on it's last legs for at least the last three or four sessions I'd skated before switching and when I got the Films I threw them on a brand new deck.

Whoever said Films are cheap is absolutely wrong. If anything skating them makes me feel like the Ace classics are kind of cheap, or at the very least feel flimsy.

It may be psychosomatic but the Films have a nice sturdy feeling to them and they grind really, really well. To me they feel like an older stage Indy in heartiness but with a crazy good and fun turn like Aces.

Honestly I feel like the turn really is better, or at least better for me, than the Aces. If it gives you any idea of the turn I'll say this - I tend to do quick little surfy snap carves while skating and like doing pinpoint turns to hit obstacles in weird lines and the Films seem to have a really snappy, pinpoint, tight turn that lends itself really well to this. First session out I hit up this little diy park (7th street in delaware if you know) and was hitting two backside grinds on a really long 3ft high quarter by doing quick carves as soon as I would get to the flat in kind of a surf-style. Always wanted to do this trick and have never been able to before with any other setup.

As far as the pinch goes on Films I won't say they're specifically better than Ace per se, but that they just feel slightly different. I never really got good crooks on Aces really, and always felt like the pinch would happen, but felt more like an effort of pure will-power and precise posture, the Films are somewhat like this but IMO feel a little easier to stand up in. This might just be my personal experience or that my two sessions with them I was particularly on or something though.

Wish there was a way that I knew of to cross post this info to the "Less popular brands" truck thread, but I feel like probably if you're interested in info on Films then you probably lurk the Ace thread anyway since they're the most common comparison.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1276
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #3777 on: April 21, 2021, 03:29:38 PM »
^ quote your post, copy and then paste into the new thread
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #3778 on: April 21, 2021, 03:49:10 PM »
Found this video. Note that his height measurement is crap.  He measures with a tape and then uses the wrong conversion (2.18 inches instead of 2.125 - which wasn't accurate enough to begin with). 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lP0Vum3rd-M

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3779 on: April 21, 2021, 04:29:47 PM »
Found this video. Note that his height measurement is crap.  He measures with a tape and then uses the wrong conversion (2.18 inches instead of 2.125 - which wasn't accurate enough to begin with). 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lP0Vum3rd-M

"I was notified that I read my tape measure wrong (thank you Anthony De Rosa), and listed the height as 2.18" instead of the correct 2.125" measurement.

"From bottom of baseplate to middle of axle, the height would be 53.975mm instead of the 55.372mm I measured (a difference of 1.397mm). Albeit a tape measure is not the most accurate tool to use when doing a measurement such as this."

"Height would be 53.975mm instead of the 55.372mm I measured, a difference of 1.397mm."