Author Topic: Ace trucks  (Read 743351 times)

RichardBarkley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -763
Re: Ace trucks
« Reply #4140 on: May 18, 2021, 11:10:46 AM »
RichardBarkley, yeah 20 hours. Had to check it from my Apple Watch because I’m bad at estimating. The curbs aren’t that gnarly. They’ve got a few crunchy bits and I did break in 18 new ones (probably 1 m per curb) with these trucks.

Firebert, thank you.

Frank and Fred, only a few accidental front feebles. I can’t do smiths or feebles. Not sure how slappy smiths would even work. I feel like I’d need a double sided curb for proper slappy feebles and we don’t have any around here unfortunately.

It’s just mainly frontside slappies with a bunch of backside slappies peppered in. Also a few slappy crooks attempts but so far I haven’t gotten them to work on these curbs for whatever reason. I’m just learning them anyway. Today I was skating mainly flatground at my usual spot but it’s easy to hit the slappies in between as there’s like 30+ meters of waxed curbs at that spot.

It’s weird how the back truck has worn in the middle. New trucks with no groove felt weird as hell and it took a good while to get used to the wider board and trucks and I guess by then I had managed to get a groove mainly in the middle on the back truck from sloppy slappies.  :D

Back:

Front:

That's fucking gnar man. Ripping !
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 608
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #4141 on: May 18, 2021, 11:14:50 AM »

I’ve hit axle. 20 hours of skating. A lot of slappies. I don’t notice any difference in the grind with these and the classics. I grind pretty much only unpainted waxed curbs. Durability, I don’t know. I don’t think it’s better than the classics at least. Hard to say if it’s worse either. 🤔

My previous classics I had to retire when the hangers were so ground down that the kingpin nut was ground down so much it just fell off. Seems like that’s gonna happen even sooner with these. Not really sure how to remedy that. I would certainly like to grind all my trucks in half before retiring them.

I feel you there mate. The only solution I can think of is, that you sand your top bushings down like 5 mm and shorten the kingpin with a angle grinder. But I can only speak on Indy trucks with that method and am not sure if that will work with Ace's too.
IG: @flowterspace

4-3-3

• Rep: 7
« Reply #4142 on: May 18, 2021, 11:20:19 AM »
Man I really want to try Aces but when I see pics like these It makes me want to stick to my Indys and Thunders. I weigh 200lbs and do tons of slappies and both brands hold up. Ace are extremely popular in Vancouver. They did a good job supporting local pros and ams early on. But now I’m seeing some of the die hard Ace fan boys moving back to Indys because of durability issues. When you got kids that mostly skate pools going through trucks in a month and half something is wrong. And the curbs and pool blocks all Salba sauced.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #4143 on: May 18, 2021, 11:33:42 AM »
I keep flip flopping with the AF1s the replacement bushings are going good and haven’t busted but I feel I lost the pop from the first few sessions. I’m gonna tighten them up and see if that helps. But I skated them the other day and felt so dorky cause kick flips was basically barrel rolling. I got a new board with the same wheelbase. Maybe that’s it. But damn. If the next session is as bad as my last I’m set up the 44c ,indies , or see it thunder treat  me right

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 538
« Reply #4144 on: May 18, 2021, 02:13:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

I’ve hit axle. 20 hours of skating. A lot of slappies. I don’t notice any difference in the grind with these and the classics. I grind pretty much only unpainted waxed curbs. Durability, I don’t know. I don’t think it’s better than the classics at least. Hard to say if it’s worse either. 🤔

My previous classics I had to retire when the hangers were so ground down that the kingpin nut was ground down so much it just fell off. Seems like that’s gonna happen even sooner with these. Not really sure how to remedy that. I would certainly like to grind all my trucks in half before retiring them.
[close]

All of that in 20 hours ? Doesn't seem right.

They must be some gnarly ass curbs
[close]

Un-painted/un-waxed curbs will do that.

Legit questions: How far do you grind on un-painted/un-waxed curbs?

I've slappy'd a few unpainted curbs for pure shits and giggles and straight up stick and go flying off.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #4145 on: May 19, 2021, 01:17:01 AM »
Dunno if that was addressed to me but I haven’t skated any unwaxed curbs with these trucks. I broke in a bunch of new curbs by waxing them first and then just grinding and it gets nicer and nicer the more you grind.

My experiences with unpainted curbs is wildly different depending on the curbs. Some curbs grind like butter with very little wax, some require a bit more wax and then it gets better quite slowly. Then some others just don’t grind initially at all and just have to smash it until it slowly starts going. With my previous completely axeled classics I was able to grind a few inches of an unwaxed curb that grinded like butter with very little wax. Those curbs looked normal but for some reason grinded unlike any other.

I haven’t used any rub brick & lacquer tricks even though I like long grinds. To me it is much more satisfying just waxing and grinding until it starts going.  :)

These are my old 44 classics from a while back. The sharp groove visible in two of the pics are from curbs that have a very sharp lip and won’t grind at all initially. Breaking those curbs in requires quite some work. Last pic shows the kingpin nut which fell off when I was just rolling and turning.

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #4146 on: May 19, 2021, 05:57:52 AM »
Dunno if that was addressed to me but I haven’t skated any unwaxed curbs with these trucks. I broke in a bunch of new curbs by waxing them first and then just grinding and it gets nicer and nicer the more you grind.

My experiences with unpainted curbs is wildly different depending on the curbs. Some curbs grind like butter with very little wax, some require a bit more wax and then it gets better quite slowly. Then some others just don’t grind initially at all and just have to smash it until it slowly starts going. With my previous completely axeled classics I was able to grind a few inches of an unwaxed curb that grinded like butter with very little wax. Those curbs looked normal but for some reason grinded unlike any other.

I haven’t used any rub brick & lacquer tricks even though I like long grinds. To me it is much more satisfying just waxing and grinding until it starts going.  :)

These are my old 44 classics from a while back. The sharp groove visible in two of the pics are from curbs that have a very sharp lip and won’t grind at all initially. Breaking those curbs in requires quite some work. Last pic shows the kingpin nut which fell off when I was just rolling and turning.

Holy fuck man

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #4147 on: May 19, 2021, 06:17:15 AM »
Finally got around to checking my 77s and one of them does indeed have the indent on the edge of the pivot cavity. It was my back truck, which I am not used to blowing out so I guess I never bothered to look. Submitted a warranty claim with Ace.

It'll be cool if they replace it, but it was silly of me to buy 77s.

@Roisto one of the main curb spots I skate is waxed but not painted or anything. I used to hate on it and which whoever started it had lacquered it, but I've come to love it. I don't know what it is about the metal on the classics, but they feel so much better on that curb than the AF1s.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4148 on: May 19, 2021, 06:45:43 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I feel you there mate. The only solution I can think of is, that you sand your top bushings down like 5 mm and shorten the kingpin with a angle grinder. But I can only speak on Indy trucks with that method and am not sure if that will work with Ace's too.

Yes to that.

I have used a knife and cut the bushings down (so you can put the other bit back in if you need to) and then angle grinded the kingpin on almost all brands of trucks over the years, so these would definitely work as Ace has almost the highest / longest kingpin of all the main truck brands in the modern market and a very tall top bushing too, so you have a reasonable amount of room to play with.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #4149 on: May 19, 2021, 02:46:26 PM »
I took the semi-shredded cups (I had stopped skating them before they got totally wrecked) and slapped them into a pair of Indys, they fit and feel great (and won't get cut up anymore).

I'll put the new cups in my one sessioned AF155s.

DM me if you are interested in the used AF155s with the plate issue (hangers are totally fine, literally 2 hours on them) + new cups - make an offer. SOLD

DM me if you are interested in a NEW pair of AF155s with NO plate issue (never ridden, complete with poop bags). SOLD

I've also got a set of never skated 33 classics (red plates) as well (all stock) but they've been kicking around in a bag with other trucks so the plates have some scuffs but whateverthfuk).
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 06:52:00 PM by Xen »

blueskynoise

• Rep: 23
« Reply #4150 on: May 19, 2021, 04:14:58 PM »
I know there’s a million answers in this thread, but what kind of replacement bushings do you guys ride in Aces? Not looking for a crazy rattly ride, more medium surfy. I’ve heard Bones hards, but i’m willing to try whatever

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1101
« Reply #4151 on: May 19, 2021, 04:30:33 PM »
Man I really want to try Aces but when I see pics like these It makes me want to stick to my Indys and Thunders. I weigh 200lbs and do tons of slappies and both brands hold up. Ace are extremely popular in Vancouver. They did a good job supporting local pros and ams early on. But now I’m seeing some of the die hard Ace fan boys moving back to Indys because of durability issues.

I was a big fan of how they skated, but I am like 140 and do a lot of slappys, and had both kingpins rattle loose. I decided to fix this with the Krux Downlow kingpin trick, and in the meantime I put on some 144s I had laying around, and frankly I don't notice any real difference in how these trucks skate. They're both great, but the Indys aren't falling apart from normal use. I'm sure I'll eventually put the Aces back on something, but I think I am back on Indy for the foreseeable future.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4152 on: May 19, 2021, 04:33:28 PM »
I know there’s a million answers in this thread, but what kind of replacement bushings do you guys ride in Aces? Not looking for a crazy rattly ride, more medium surfy. I’ve heard Bones hards, but i’m willing to try whatever

I did Bones Soft and they were fine, but then went back to Ace. For me, the Ace bushings were the absolute best part of the trucks.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4153 on: May 19, 2021, 04:36:23 PM »
I too, went back to Indy and didn't notice too much of a difference...mainly weight reduction going to TI...but I was also using ace bushings...which work wonders in Indy...or venture...tensor...see the pattern?

Ace are still a quicker deeper Indy stock, but the weight and quality control aren't worth the fucking hassle...get some ace bushings in your Indy's or dual duro Indy bushings and call it a day.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4154 on: May 19, 2021, 04:54:25 PM »
I too, went back to Indy and didn't notice too much of a difference...mainly weight reduction going to TI...but I was also using ace bushings...which work wonders in Indy...or venture...tensor...see the pattern?

Ace are still a quicker deeper Indy stock, but the weight and quality control aren't worth the fucking hassle...get some ace bushings in your Indy's or dual duro Indy bushings and call it a day.

For sure, the turn on Ace is a little different, but whether it's better or worse is totally subjective. I've been on both side by side, I don't think either helped or hindered my skating. And like a lot of people here, I spent five years fussing with my trucks, constantly switching brands, buying forged titanium versions, switching bushings, experimenting with washers, inverting kingpins, etc. Then I just put on a pair of Indy 144 standard trucks, with their stock orange bushings and have barely thought about it since. They've been great.

blueskynoise

« Reply #4155 on: May 19, 2021, 06:11:24 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I did Bones Soft and they were fine, but then went back to Ace. For me, the Ace bushings were the absolute best part of the trucks.

I agree, I love the Ace bushings too. They just shredded pretty fast in my AF1s. Maybe i’ll try a new set with bones top washers

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4156 on: May 19, 2021, 06:17:13 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

For sure, the turn on Ace is a little different, but whether it's better or worse is totally subjective. I've been on both side by side, I don't think either helped or hindered my skating. And like a lot of people here, I spent five years fussing with my trucks, constantly switching brands, buying forged titanium versions, switching bushings, experimenting with washers, inverting kingpins, etc. Then I just put on a pair of Indy 144 standard trucks, with their stock orange bushings and have barely thought about it since. They've been great.

Just setup some Ti144s that I've been sitting on, with stock bushings (but swapped out the pivots and washers), my 159s are on my big boy board; I'm actually getting to where my OCD is not winning the battles over Indys, to the point that I'm actually switching over for both boards and trying to use stock bushings....the TI are light enough, lower enough (forged), turn good enough, can get on center good enough and grind good/great enough...they don't actually accel at anything...fuck now I'm an indy guy.

That all said. Tensor ATG Maglights are still the lightest and grind the best.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 06:23:58 PM by Xen »

bombsaway86

• Rep: 160
« Reply #4157 on: May 19, 2021, 10:19:06 PM »

Krux bushings are great. I like the stock bushings but sometimes they’re a little too wobbly for me. Krux gives the same tight turn but is nice and stable on center.

I haven’t tried Bones hard, but I really had to crank down on the mediums to avoid wheelbite. Wasn’t a fan of the mediums with Ace.

Kevve

• Rep: 12
« Reply #4158 on: May 20, 2021, 04:48:10 AM »
Anyone else got their bushings eaten up by the washer in the af1s?

blueskynoise

« Reply #4159 on: May 20, 2021, 05:36:49 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Krux bushings are great. I like the stock bushings but sometimes they’re a little too wobbly for me. Krux gives the same tight turn but is nice and stable on center.

I haven’t tried Bones hard, but I really had to crank down on the mediums to avoid wheelbite. Wasn’t a fan of the mediums with Ace.

Yeah every “Ace pilot” I know says that you can’t tighten Bones mediums enough for a stable ride on Ace. I’ll try a side by side with Ace replacements and Bones Hard this weekend. Will report back

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #4160 on: May 20, 2021, 07:21:49 AM »
The bushings and top washer on my AF1 55s shift side to side and make a loud clicking/creaking noise. Every time I turn left or right there's a loud click that I can feel. I tried removing and putting them back on to see if they'd settle a little better, but no luck. I also adjusted the kingpin tighter and looser, but it didn't change. I'm going to mess with some replacement parts, I guess.

devourthehours

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rep: 51
  • I spit more rhymes than a lazy susan
« Reply #4161 on: May 20, 2021, 07:44:34 AM »
I took the semi-shredded cups (I had stopped skating them before they got totally wrecked) and slapped them into a pair of Indys, they fit and feel great (and won't get cut up anymore).

I'll put the new cups in my one sessioned AF155s.

DM me if you are interested in the used AF155s with the plate issue (hangers are totally fine, literally 2 hours on them) + new cups - make an offer.

DM me if you are interested in a NEW pair of AF155s with NO plate issue (never ridden, complete with poop bags).

I've also got a set of never skated 33 classics (red plates) as well (all stock) but they've been kicking around in a bag with other trucks so the plates have some scuffs but whateverthfuk).

DM'd you about those new AF1 55s. Really curious to try these out.

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #4162 on: May 20, 2021, 09:13:51 AM »
After skating the AF1 44s for awhile, I will say that I am so sad they changed the axle/hanger width on that truck.  I knew it would be a bummer, and even though I skate 8.25" boards most of the time, I really liked that little extra bit of hanger.  I feel like I have to ride skinnier wheels than I want to a lot of the time so they don't eat up so much room on the hanger.  I loved classic fulls on the old 44s, but now I feel like they're too wide on certain grinds and I find myself weirdly missing the lock in.  But then again I'm a crybaby who skates like shit at his top dollar best. 

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #4163 on: May 20, 2021, 10:18:29 AM »
After skating the AF1 44s for awhile, I will say that I am so sad they changed the axle/hanger width on that truck.  I knew it would be a bummer, and even though I skate 8.25" boards most of the time, I really liked that little extra bit of hanger.  I feel like I have to ride skinnier wheels than I want to a lot of the time so they don't eat up so much room on the hanger.  I loved classic fulls on the old 44s, but now I feel like they're too wide on certain grinds and I find myself weirdly missing the lock in.  But then again I'm a crybaby who skates like shit at his top dollar best.

The 55's have the same width hanger as the classic 44's I believe. Someone else could confirm or correct me though.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4164 on: May 20, 2021, 11:02:50 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The 55's have the same width hanger as the classic 44's I believe. Someone else could confirm or correct me though.

Not sure about the 44s but the AF155 hangers are just a hair wider than every 8.25" truck I've got...

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #4165 on: May 20, 2021, 11:26:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Not sure about the 44s but the AF155 hangers are just a hair wider than every 8.25" truck I've got...

AF1 55s are 149mm
Classic 44s are 146mm

I had initially thought they were the same.

DeepSpace9mm

• Rep: 100
« Reply #4166 on: May 20, 2021, 01:23:19 PM »
The bushings and top washer on my AF1 55s shift side to side and make a loud clicking/creaking noise. Every time I turn left or right there's a loud click that I can feel. I tried removing and putting them back on to see if they'd settle a little better, but no luck. I also adjusted the kingpin tighter and looser, but it didn't change. I'm going to mess with some replacement parts, I guess.

I too am experiencing the loud click. Before my last session the washers were clicking in both trucks with every turn. It seems to be happening less now while standing on my board.

I’ll also be trying some replacement parts if the clicking continues. Someone else recommended the Muir Skate machined sleeved washers. They’re pricey but I may give those a go.

My bushings are also starting to get shredded.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4167 on: May 20, 2021, 02:11:40 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I too am experiencing the loud click. Before my last session the washers were clicking in both trucks with every turn. It seems to be happening less now while standing on my board.

I’ll also be trying some replacement parts if the clicking continues. Someone else recommended the Muir Skate machined sleeved washers. They’re pricey but I may give those a go.

My bushings are also starting to get shredded.

I had the loud clicking from one truck. I took the whole thing apart and put a thin layer of grease between the truck base and the lower washer, and that fixed it until it dried out. I reapplied the grease periodically, but this was very annoying.

It's lamentable that so much of this thread is about dealing with the quirks of Ace trucks.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #4168 on: May 20, 2021, 05:30:21 PM »
To anyone who has put a Kreper IKP into a set of Ace classics: how did you get the nut to sit properly inside the cavity? I can't get it to go in deep enough to not stick out from the plate and it's making me feel insane.

Pee nis

• Rep: 20
« Reply #4169 on: May 20, 2021, 06:45:00 PM »
One of my bushings in my AF1 is already getting semi destroyed. What is the best option for a replacement if it fully goes? I have bones hard in my indys which I love but not sure if those will mess with geometry in the aces